Trey Lance, Come on Down!!!

Trey Lance is officially a 49er after signing his 4 year, $34.1 million rookie deal. To put that into perspective, Alex Smith signed one of the last big rookie QB contracts at 6 years/$50 million in 2005. Owners gotta love being able to protect themselves from themselves, but that a whole nother conversation.

We all know the promise that Lance brings to the franchise, and the hope of a shiny new dynasty in the works. The kid is fast, strong, mobile, smart, makes quick decisions, and can make the throws a QB needs to make. The big question, as it is with all these guys coming into the league, will his ability translate into NFL success? We all know the Colin Kaepernick story, or Tim Couch, or RG III, or Vince Young, or the many other guys that didn’t quite cut it, or their early success collided with reality and they all faded for various diffferent reasons.

Then again, there’s Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, and the perennial thorn in our side Russell Wilson leading the way for the ‘new breed’ of fast mobile QBs that can run. You know, like a young Joe Montana, or Steve Young even.

So, the table has been set by this storied franchise known for developing Hall of Fame quarterbacks (don’t get me started on John Brodie. His numbers far outshine Joe Namath’s) to continue the tradition under the quarterback whisperer Kyle Shanahan. I’m thrilled that we have Jimmy G to take the reins and to let the upstart watch and learn. I’m sure Shanny and co will figure out how to get Lance involved in the offense at certain points in time during games this year, and this team is now even faster than it was what with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, at WR, and Mostert, Hasty, and Sermon in the backfield.

This team has a boatload of weapons, and we should be able to stop just about any offense. Kinlaw has a year under his belt, and with all the injured guys returning, this looks to be a dominating season.

Bring it on!!

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

30 Responses to Trey Lance, Come on Down!!!

It never crossed my mind that Lance would cause any problems signing. I probably say this every year but I am totally thrilled to see how this season pans out. Brodie could sure throw that deep ball, he just kept getting hammered by opposing D’s.

Like Archie Manning, but not as hopeless as New Orleans was, Brodie was a great quarterback on some flat awful teams. So glad I got to see him play when the Niners made their ill-fated playoff runs from 1970 to 1972. Those teams with Gene Washington, Ted Kwalick, Delvin Williams, Whicher and Windsor were so fun to watch. That defense was outstanding with young Cedrick Hardman, Dave Wilcox, Jimmy Johnson, Tommy Hart and that stifling interior line was bad-ass.

To this day I still think fucking Nolan was too conservative with that offense. Too much Ken Willard 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

• Lurker John says:

No shit, Manning got clobbered for most of his career. It’s amazing he’s not dealing with CTE like so many other players of that time. At least Brodie got to play on some good teams. Archie never really had that chance.

3. Lurker John says:

Just in the nick of time! LOL! I was listening to the Niners Nation podcast earlier today and they said the first practice started at 10:17 am. Apparently Trey signed about an hour before that, though, per them, details had been hashed out last night. Never in doubt!

Also saw that Tartt did pass his physical, so no PUP for him, and of course Bosa, Ford and Hurd did as well, so all those guys are in camp. Per Shanahan, though, they’ll be eased into team drills over the next week. If I was him, I’d use those guys only enough to get them ready for the regular season.

GO NINERS!

4. Lurker John says:

Brodie was a fine QB and the earliest guy I remember at that position for the 49ers. Winder, you’re right, he did take a beating in those years. Tough old bird who could make all the throws. They came so close, but not for the fucking Cowboys. And that’s okay now, because they got theirs in the end. lol

Chuck, Kwalik was one of my favorite players from those teams and I got to meet Cedrick Hardman at one of those charity basketball games the Niners played there for a while. He signed a popcorn box for me. Big and tough but a nice man, always ready and willing to sign an autograph for a star-struck kid. Stud of a defensive lineman.

5. Lurker John says:

Hurd is an intriguing guy. He could be a real sleeper coming out of camp. His teammates rave about his physical skills and toughness. Like so many guys on this roster, he just needs to stay on the field. I have no doubt that Shanahan is drooling over the thought of what this offense could do this year. A lot of talent on both sides of the ball, with a few holes.

I’m stoked for the first day of camp. First preseason game on Saturday, August 14th against the Chiefs. First chance we’ll get to see Trey Lance play.

Funny story, a friend of mine was in a band that opened for the English Beat at the Keystone Palo Alto. Fucking loved that place. Anyhoo, We’re getting toasty at the bar and Ronnie Lott and Cedrick Hardman show up. After gushing over all his plays and shit I start riding him for signing with the Raiders. Don’t know if Hardman was a Raider or had retired, but they let me and my friends buy them a ton of beers that night. They were funny, bad-ass, and a blast to talk to. We seemed to be the only ones that knew who they were, and we hung out and talked for a good hour and a half.

What was amazing to me was how small Lott was. Like 6′ 0″ maybe 200 lb. Hardman of course was huge. Like meeting Montana I was kinda shocked. Clark on the other hand was big.

I keep thinking of some of the D’s Brodie had to face. You figure the ‘fearsome foursome twice, the purple gang, fucking Butkis(sp), Nitzke(sp), and the like. It’s a wonder Brodie lasted so long. Like you said those 70-72 teams were so much fun to watch.

The early to mid 60s were brutal for Brodie.

9. Lurker John says:

Different breed of players back then. Not that today’s NFL players aren’t tough, they absolutely are, but it was almost no holds barred back then and they didn’t get paid squat comparatively speaking. I love the history of all sports, but especially football and baseball. Fascinating stuff chock full of colorful characters.

Yeah, I met a bunch of the old 49ers at Harry’s Hof Brau in Redwood City. Kwalick, Bob St. Clair, Skip Vanderbundt, some others I can’t remember. My stepfather worked at Towne Ford back in the day and we would go there for lunch once in a while, and there were always current and retired players in there when they practiced at Sequoia high school. Had a team ball signed by the 1972 team. Wish I didn’t ruin it.

Yep! You could eat 5 lb of it for $4.99!

12. NJ49ER says:

You guys make me jealous, seriously.
    I’d kill for a pic with Rice and Ronnie, my absolute favorite SF Treats back in the day.
    My daughter still talks about ALMOST getting run over by the golf cart carrying Joe and Steve to Rice’s after party at his HOF induction in Canton.
    “Dad can you imagine all the pics we could have had if I DIDN’T move?”
    What could have been……. 😀

13. NJ49ER says:

Frank was a NYJ, I wanted a pic with him too, love me some Frank, right here in NJ, perfect.
    Fuckn Covid shows up, no fans allowed.
    Shoot me…..

14. NJ49ER says:

Consolation prize?
    Pics with Maiocco and Barrows in NJ & Maiocco in Canton, along with Deese and Keena.
    Could be worse I guess?
    But I still have to get there with Rice and Ronnie.

15. NJ49ER says:

Keena was in a golf cart that was following Joe and Steve.
    He actually got out to see if my daughter was OK.
    What could have been…..
    Happy to meet him though 😀
    Good guy.

16. NJ49ER says:

Blues news,
    Another recommendation for the playlist.
    Tommy Castro, Kill’n it LIVE.

17. NJ49ER says:

Berger?
    Where the fuk are you hiding?

18. NJ49ER says:

I thought Big Foot was the World hide and seek champion.
    You could be the runner up.

19. Trey Lonce says:

You imbeciles just have a ridiculous infatuation with every new QB that comes in the league. Just look at how you Neanderthals were dropping your depends when Jimmy G won those meaningless five games at the end of that season. And I know for a fact that Chuck drank Irish Car Bombs with Dennis in his van to celebrate Alex Smith’s first win as a Whiner

Matt Barrows from the Athletic

The 49ers have a scheduled day off Sunday before returning Monday for their first fully padded practice of the 2021 season.

That makes for a natural breakpoint to go over the themes that have emerged to open training camp. The top five …

1. Trey Lance is on the attack

Easily the biggest story of training camp so far is Trey Lance and the leap the rookie quarterback made from the end of OTAs to the beginning of training camp.
    At the very least, Lance, who was only 20 years old on draft day and who had just 17 college starts in the Missouri Valley Conference, is dashing any notion that he’ll be a lost fawn in the forest during his initial NFL season.

In fact, the rookie has acted more like a wolf.

He’s attacked the defense deep. He’s gunned the ball over the middle on crossing routes, the meat-and-potatoes throw of the 49ers offense. And Saturday, he took off on his first runs of training camp, looking entirely natural and effective on scrambles and in running the read-option.

In short, Lance has been aggressive, which has to please head coach and play caller Kyle Shanahan, who — you may have read about this once or twice — prefers an always-attacking mentality.

What’s more, Lance’s capabilities have been in contrast to Jimmy Garoppolo’s.

The latter isn’t a dangerous runner and doesn’t attack with the deep ball. During Saturday’s practice, Deebo Samuel broke free from cornerback Jason Verrett. Garoppolo saw it but double-clutched his throw. When he finally let it go, Samuel had built too much distance. You sensed it as the ball was released, and Garoppolo probably knew it, too. Sure enough, the pass easily was 10 yards short and Verrett merely needed to turn around to get the easiest interception of training camp so far.

Garoppolo, who had been picked off by Fred Warner earlier in practice, seemed to hesitate on his next several throws. When another receiver broke free deep, he thought about a second deep attempt but decided against it, choosing to go through his reads and find a shorter target instead.

Is Garoppolo’s starting job in danger?

There have only been four practices, and Shanahan likely will be stingy in his praise of Lance. He’ll want to keep the pressure on the rookie.

Still, the notion that Lance could overtake Garoppolo early in the season, which seemed so farfetched on draft day and after OTAs, appears far more realistic today.

• Winder says:

Waiting to see what happens when the pads come on. Will will see a lot of Lance in the preseason games. Can’t wait.

Long way to go. And that wsone bad practice. But if Jimmy G playslikelastyear, Trey may be in by week 6.

22. NJ49ER says:

Worst habit any QB can have, and Jimmy has it.
    Indecisive, and double pats, which kills timing and usually leads to sacks and wasted downs.

2 plays in the SB that still make me furious.
    Not seeing Kittle on the crosser in a big moment and, of course, missing Eman.
    Trey seems to be fearless.
    Hope that doesn’t lead to reckless.
    See what comes…

Sacks, or picks. It baffles me how decisive Garoppolo looked when he got here compared to now. Some of it is pass protection, but a lot of it is between Jimmy’s ears.

New thread is up.