The Draft

Yes, it is time to dig up Mel Kiper Jr. and plant his head behind a desk to watch him bloviate about something that no one ever gets right. The draft. Ask 100 people to guess the first round, and you will get 100 different answers. None of which are remotely close to reality beyond the top 5 picks.

So, just for funzies, here are the 49ers nine picks in the upcoming draft in April:

• 1st round, No. 12 overall
  • 2nd round, No. 43 overall
  • 4th round, No. 108 overall
  • 5th round, No. 139 overall
  • 5th round, No. 157 overall (from NO)
  • 5th round compensatory pick for Emmanuel Sanders
  • 6th round, No. 170 overall
  • 7th round, No. 194 overall (from NYJ)
  • 7th round, No. 204 overall

Since we have no idea what the front office is thinking, we get to guess like all the other talking heads. Based on the talk we should draft a quarterback. No, a cornerback. No we need to bolster the offensive line. No, we need a bookend for Nick Bosa. No, we need linebacker help.

Needless to say, you can pretty much make a case for all of these suggestions. The curious non-attention paid to the cornerback position in last year’s draft was at times very costly, and at other times, not so bad. Bruce Allen cost the 49ers the Miami game by giving up 7 passes, 153 yards, 3 TDs, and 2 PI penalties in a matter of 20 minutes on the field. A field that he will never tread upon again. then again, Jamar Taylor came out of nowhere to shut down Cooper Kupp and the Rams. We have a lot of bodies that are decent. And nobody signed.

Jason Verrett may be costly, but he has at least put out there that he was very thankful of the opportunity given to him by the 49ers. Same with Kerry Hyder, another scrap-heap signing that paid off in dividends but is looking for a payday. Emmanuel Moseley is a guy who has been solid. Sherm? Nice knowing you. Great on-field and locker room leader, but your time is over. Then there’s Ahkello Witherspoon. His mercurial season and strong finish at least warrants a long talk with the team about his committment level.

The rest? Dontae Johnson needs to go.

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

24 Responses to The Draft

At 12 we’re likely to see a top rated DE/CB.
    Whether you debate the merits on either, the DE impacts the Secondary in a good way.
    Protect the QB.
    SACK the QB.

Argument can made to grab BPA in all 3 areas.
    DE/CB/OL.

Curious to see the wrinkle regarding Deshaun Watson and former Pats GM Caserio in Houston.
    Jimmy for Deshaun?
    Answer for me, in a NY minute but…
    What’s it gonna cost?

Then again.
    Could Rosen be a quiet option to allow Jimmy to be dealt outright, without giving away additional Picks?
    Lot’s to digest.

Rosen is a major red flag. He hsas not shown bupkis in his time in the league. Sure, he’d be cheaper, but then again, stick with CJ the Beater if they want to go on the cheap. Keep Rosen as the backup and draft someone in the 2nd round like Mac Jones.

The potential for failure in that scenario is ginormous. As I’ve been saying, Jimmy G gets one more chance. After that, all bets are off. I don’t think they can get a quality QB in this draft without mortgaging the farm. They do NOT want to do that. If Jimmy gets hurt yet again, the season is wash and we fall to the bottom of the draft for next season.

Saleh has proven to be the better coordinator in this regime.
    Shanny not so much.

When the ground game gets stuffed, the Offense shuts down more often than not.
    All the blame points to the QB position and the play caller.
    Seattle has never had an OLine worth a damn and has always leaned on their D.
    We’ve been doing it too.
    Shanny has been thru 3 QBs thus far.
    Track record isn’t getting much better after blowing up in the SB.
    Offense needs a shake up.

Lynch needs to wrap up Trent 1st and foremost.
    That money could easily be found by releasing or restructuring Jimmy.
    I’m not seeing a lot of highly rated OTs this year coming into the Draft.
    Not even high on OG/C at 12 either.
    All 3 positions are in play for me, considering McGlinchey is on thin ice too, as a potential high Pick fading fast.
    I like OG Wyatt Davis a lot but, at 12 I don’t see it.
    He’s likely to be the top OG in this class too.

Jimmy’s on a make-good year to year deal. Much like Kaepernick was. If he sucks next year, the cap hit is minimal if we cut him.

Pretty sure we will look quite a bit different this year but I don’t think we have as many holes as i had thought. We got some pretty good play from our scrubs. If Bosa comes back ok I think our biggest problem is the OL. I still like Jimmy but he makes too many mistakes on the fly and he still hasn’t learned to throw the ball away. We shall see. I am curious about Rosen but not holding my breath. We are gonna dump some players if we can. I don’t think we can dump Ford until he’s healthy enough to play, something about his contract I believe. Anyway, we just gotta stay healthy or it will be the same crap all over again. I think I will have some fun with this draft this year.

He doesn’t run away from people but he moves enough to deliver the ball with accuracy.

Really? Just another contract jacking.

9. Cole Hamels says:

So the sad little Giants want to overpay for another has been to come and play like shit for them while the superior Dodgers only get better and better? Sounds good to me.

We’re not getting him you fucking idiot. You must be a Trumper. Go back to sucking your bag of dicks. What a pussy you are.

Stamp your little feet and cry for attention like a good little sheep.

Jones declared for the 2021 draft, BTW.

Scary thing is, you look at the list of successful Alabama QBs in the NFL and once you get past Bart Starr, Joe Namath, and Kenny Stabler, the list runs dry. Hurts and Tua notwithstanding.

The Jets just hired Saleh

And Demeco Ryans is the new DC.

13. Unca chuck says:

I was kinda hoping Saleh would go to a better team, but hey. It’s a shot for him. And two third round draft picks for us as part of the diversity hiring program. The jets are a mess that will be hard to fix, but then again so were we. And we aren’t out of the woods by any means. .

I like the Ryan’s signing as he’s a solid guy who has been in the system with the new
    Regime.

Mike LaFleur to the Jets as their new OC.

The Jets have the 2nd pick in the draft, IF the Jets keep Sam Darnold how would that help the Niners, and if the Jets pick a QB in the draft would it be wise for the Niners to pickup Darnold?

16. alleykat69 says:

As much as Chuck thinks the Jets are taking a QB at #2 I don’t think they will.I believe Saleh and GM Joe Douglass still have confidence in Darnold and they will go out and build a better team around him with a WR,RB and OL .Not saying Darnold is all that great but he’s had no weapons to work with especially when guys like Jamison Crowder , who’s clearly a #2 receiver and 78 years old Frank Gore is still your RB..

I don’t think Darnold is that good. If that is the play, then we should get Mac Jones in the 2nd. Shit, we GOT Rosen. Darnold is the same guy.

They had LeVeon Bell last year and dumped him. The Jets will do what AZ did before them with Rosen. Draft a stud QB and trade Darnold. I’m pretty sure LaFleur will want his own guy there to start the new era.

Darnold is owed somewhere around $10 mill this year. I think they’d rather pay Fields that money.

I’m curious to see what Urban does in Jax.
      Does he opt for Fields?
      We’ll see….
      How about NYJ keep Darnold and take OT Sewell?
      Have I mentioned how much I love the Draft? 😀

• alleykat69 says:

If Meyers takes Fields he will be out of a job before he starts! No way in hell he passes on Trevor Lawrence NJ.. He might still have loyalty to Ohio St but that’s where it ends.Hell Fields could end up being the second coming of that other recent flake Dwayne Haskins..

I wish Saleh the best of luck and hope he can turn the Jets around. A tall order indeed. Anyway, i will be rooting for them.

Bring on the Draft . . . . . . FUCK 2020!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s