How’s THAT for a Season Finale?

Don’t know what the ratings were, but game 256 of the 2019 season was pretty fucking exciting and nerve -wracking. After cruising to a 13-0 halftime lead, the Seahawks suddenly couldn’t be stopped. I think Seattle converted every 3rd down play in the 2nd half. That is, until that fateful play and the fateful goal line stop by # 57 of the 49ers, linebacker Dan Bunz, uh, Dre Greenlaw, and the 49er win the Super Bowl, uh, NFC West with a 26-21 victory over the Seahawks.

You can’t make this shit up in its symmetry. 3rd year in, Walsh wins the West (and the Super Bowl) with a 13-3 record. 3rd year in, Shanny wins the West with a 13-3 record, and suddenly we are favorites, at least in the NFC, to win the Super Bowl.  I really thought the refs would kill us after the misguided personal foul on Ben Garland for blocking downfield. But Seattle got their ref-bitch with a non-PI call on the 2nd to last play in the end zone.

It was a well-called game to that point, but needless to say, nerves were frayed by then. Just like the last 5 games, it came down to the last play of the game. Unlike the Atlanta game, however, Jacob Hollister, Seattle’s 4th string TE, came up 2″ short after a monumental game-saving hit by Dre Greenlaw, with an assist by Fred Warner, that kept him out of the end zone.

Very thankful for the bye week, and we came out of this game relatively unscathed. Well, except for the benching of Ahkello Witherspoon. He had another game where he was a hair late on a lot of plays. He has been a mixed bag since his return from his foot injury, and the defensive backfield in general had an uneven 2nd half.

Got to hope against hope we at least get Ford back, if not Alexander.

Hell of a season folks! Been a lot of fun, but I sure prefer the early-season stompings to these nail-biting ulcer games! I had us at 10-6 and a WC. Never did I think we would be #1 in the NFC.

ninersd

Lifelong SF 49ers, SF Giants, and Golden State Warriors fan

40 Responses to How’s THAT for a Season Finale?

I don’t think anyone really knew what this team was made of at the start of the year. I have always had the feeling Lynch and KS were the right choice and that with peters and Mayhew we had a good FO. But, i never expected the play we got from the team this year. Like you said kinda like ’81’.

Saleh to interview for the Browns HC position

Saw that 12th, gotta wonder how anyone can willingly consider the odds of surviving the soul sucking forces of the mistake by the lake?
      Almost as demoralizing to consider working for Snyder or Jerruh.

No matter how many zeroes are attached to the contract, there’s always the cosmic effects of petty ownership standing over your shoulder in all that you attempt to do.
      Add a frustrated fan base and an over-hyped QB to the mix as well.
      Anxious to see whether Rivera will be ‘allowed’ to pick his own QB or, whether Danny will strap his contract to Haskins, like he did to Shanny Sr with RG III?

Same garbage will apply with Dak in Duh-las (or Dumbass), if, as expected, Garrett is shown the door.

• Winder says:

yeah, Cleveland seems like an accident waiting to happen. Way to many egos. Have a feeling that Saleh isn’t quite ready yet for the big show.

Still think Harbaugh would take a shot in Dallas, should he reach an agreement with Jerruh over personnel choices.

Knowing what we know of Harbaugh, and his time with York and Baalke, doing a stint with the Jones’ would be a veritable hoot.

The fact that they’ve ducked away from the media spotlight already might suggest that they don’t know what to do with Garrett? And/or, what direction to run in for a replacement?

Jerruh is, was, & always will be, a meddling buffoon.
      All about the splash, hype and sizzle in Jerruh’s world.
      The hot commodity in his neck of the woods is Matt Ruhle at Baylor, who’s got lengthy ties to the NYG and, is a Parcells endorsed candidate.

Already talk of NYG giving him some serious consideration, along with Carolina.
      Can Jerruh & Stephen attract anyone that isn’t willing to be a hood ornament for..
      ‘Jerruh’s team’ ?

Just think… what coulda been Jerruh…if you only coulda left Jimmy alone.
      Egos and money…

Clown 😀

Person, Ford, and Tartt on track to return for the next game.

Alexander on track for the NFC Championship game should we get that far. Nothing on DJ Jones. His ankle injury must be bad.

I think it’s safe to say we dodged a bullitt (hah!) in not signing this guy as our head coach.

Adam Gase was asked Monday if he wants Le’Veon Bell back.

“He’s under contract for three more years,” Gase said. “You can ask [GM] Joe Douglas tomorrow. … I’m not in charge of personnel.”

Adam Gase has a message for every long-suffering Jets fan, who has endured a lifetime of anguish: He doesn’t care about you. The Daily News has learned that the embattled head coach has privately told people for months that Gang Green diehards have never mattered to him.

“I’m rich as fuck” has become Gase’s go-to line since taking over 11 months ago, according to sources. Gase has repeatedly said it to anyone that mentions the avalanche of criticism this year. It has become his defense mechanism.

“He’s an insecure guy,” a Jets source told the News.

• Winder says:

i know we dodged that bullet with Gase. I wouldn’t want any other coach right now. Shanny’s offense for the most part has been fun to watch. I still think he’s a little more conservative than he needs to be but what the fuck do I know. We’ve been coming up with the plays when we need to and that is what counts. We have options on our offense which is something we haven’t seen in a long time.We had great teams early in the Harbaugh years but very few options on offense. If Frank Gore went down we were through. Even Willis and Cowboy couldn’t carry the team without Gore. I guess the ’97’ team was the last one and we would have won a superbowl with them if Hearst didn’t get hurt on the first set of downs against Atlanta. Anyway, love this teams never give up attitude.

Until Saleh shows he can contain a Mobile QB I don’t think he is ready for a HC position. He has 6 games of tape to watch and it does not appear he has devised any plays to even try to stop a QB. Lucky for Saleh, Kyle opened up the play book against NO, if Kyle had relied on the Defense to win that game it would have been a disaster. Saleh now has two weeks to study tapes let’s hope he finds away to sop these QB’s

Happy New Year Guys 😀

Anyone watching the chimney in Big Duh, to see whether white or black smoke is visible?
    Major decisions apparently, about when Garrett will get his verdict rendered huh?

They do things BIG in Big Duh….can’t figure out why tho?

Happy New years everyone. Hopefully Dallas will continue to do stupid shit. It’s entertaining.

• Winder says:

Pretty sure Seattle will be cruising into Santa Clara for our first playoff game so i hope our guys are getting healthy because sometimes down time is not the best thing. I always think when your on a roll you gotta keep it going. That’s why I don’t gamble a whole lot.

I think we desperately needed this bye week. Seattle? We’ll be better equipped to handle them with Ford back.

Happy New Year!
    As for the Shehawks coming back to Levi, I wouldn’t discount Philly so easily. They have won 4 in a row and are heating up at just the right time. I think that game is a 50/50 proposition, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see Philly win.

I hope they beat the snot out of each other and lose their collective will to fight anymore.
      But…that’s just a wish on my part.
      We get healthier, they get more worn down.
      Bring it !

• Winder says:

I agree Philly does have a shot, both teams are really banged up and Seattle just lost one of their best players in Kendricks. He was all over the place in our final and gave us some problems. But they still have Wilson who to me is the best QB in the league and I just don’t see em losing

Defensive rookie of the year: Nick Bosa

12. alleykat69 says:

Bosa deserves all the accolades he gets!
    The one draft pick that turned this team around, with his relentless motor and just heads up savvy you don’t always find in 1st year players..I’m excited on how much better he will become going forward, he’s a DC nightmare!

Happy new year, folks!

Does Danny boy have a clue? Is he finally taking lessons from Jed York instead of Jerruh?

Ron Rivera as HC and Jack Del Rio as DC are decent hires. Of course he’s hiring his GM after the coaching hires. Just cuz he needs that control . . . but still and all, not bad for a nincompoop.

• Winder says:

I wonder just how much control Rivera has, for him to take the job he probably has quite a bit. Possible that he gets to pick who the GM will be. If Snyder were smart that is what he should do.

• alleykat69 says:

Yeah that’s the problem with most owners, they meddle so much they freakin ruin their teams with incompetency .(Jones,Snyder,Mara)
        Only owner who constantly just stepped back and trust his GM,Coach&QB is Robert Kraft and everyone knows how well that’s worked out..

14. alleykat69 says:

49ers add DT Earl Mitchell to their roster,adding extra depth on the line for their playoff run.Mitchell played for the niners in 2018.Could give a breather for Thomas,Day,Buckner to keep everyone fresh.

15. Berger says:

Happy New Year all!

16. Berger says:

I do not understand the accolades for Saleh. Against the Rams he made adjustments at halftime that should’ve been made in the first quarter. By the 2nd half, Seattle had him figured out and he made no adjustments except to replace a CB. I hope Cleveland hires him.

17. Berger says:

Getting Earl Mitchell at NT/DT could be big if he can still play. We’ve been shaky against the run and he is a good run stuffer.

18. Berger says:

Except for one player in concussion protocol we have had no injuries for 3 straight games. What a blessing this 2 weeks off is for us! If we get Ford and Tartt back I am going to feel a lot better about our defense. Go Niners!

19. Berger says:

We should send the Cardinals a gift basket for taking Murray instead of Bosa!

Damn Berger?
    I was about to contact the Dairy Association to see if your picture was being printed on the milk cartons.
    New Year celebrations wake you up?
    😀

Fat Man in the Middle EMitch is back, maybe that did it?

Nice to see you back at any rate.

21. alleykat69 says:

I wanted the 49ers to have drafted WR Terry McLaurin who went 3rd rd 75 over Jalen Hurd 3rd rd 67.He’s a polished route runner with exceptional speed.Had a solid season considering how bad the Redskins were.Hurd meh 😒 next year will be the tale of the tape with him and his injuries

My son was big on McLaurin as well. I think Hurd is gonna be real good when he comes back. And I like the Deebo comparison to Boldin. Samuel has really come on strong as a rook and is proving to be a great pick. And my kids bought me an 81 Boldin jersey a few years ago.

Like the Mitchell signing as well. We were getting ripped up the middle with Homer, and the hope is we don’t get so burned on sweeps and misdirection plays as we have been. It got somewhat better, but with all the injuries on D it’s no wonder.

New thread is up.