I Hate Moral Victories

In a game that looked sickeningly familiar to the early games of last year, the 49ers hung around a decent team, had a lead, lost a lead, got the lead back, lost it again, and in the end shot themselves in the feet enough to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

CJ the Beater took a mighty pounding and kept bouncing back for more as he dove and pummeled himself into near death as he tried to shoulder the team to victory. But the usual drops turned a possible TD into an 85 yard scamper the other way, and as the Niners were trying to drive late, a tipped pass at the line, or a fumble, was intercepted to seal the loss.

The Dawgs tried to keep us in the game by giving us an early pick 6, and their FG kicker did his best Wade Richey impersonation as he missed two extra points and a FG. After the 49ers defense came roaring out with the pick 6 and some nice pressure on the first couple series, they settled back into their previously ineffective ways by missing tackles, forgetting to cover backs coming out of the backfield, and giving up big chunks of yards to Philip Rivers and co. with no pass rush to speak of.

Yes, they played with heart, they cut down on the penalties, and they were in this one till the end, but it is much the same as last year. Woulda coulda shoulda. Loss.

How we can consistently miss a back out of the backfield time and time and time and again is baffling to me. Most of the time, the RB has 10-12 yards to run before even  getting hit by someone. To break down so many times is beyond awful. Sure, we play zone a lot, but you have to account for everyone. Either no one (Foster?) is stepping up into the short flat to cover the back, or we just can’t scheme a proper defense.  And it isn’t like this is simply to the weak side, screens go to the left and the right, and in neither case can we cover them.

22 Responses to I Hate Moral Victories

We would draft #2 overall, behind only the Cardinals, if the season ended today. We win the tiebreaks with the other 1-3 teams.
    #LoseForBosa

I give CJ two more games like yesterdays and he will be out nursing bangs and bruises. I know the injury bug hits every team but it sure seems to nail us.

3. Badger says:

Seems appropriate for the state of the franchise, great cover from an underappreciated group. Back in the day when music really meant something to Rod.

Yeah, they were fun, Badger. Saw the benefit show a bunch of guys did to raise money for Ronnie Lane’s MS treatment. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Al Kooper, Bill Wyman, Joe Cocker, Charlie Watts, Jan Hammer and a few others I can’t recall played a ton of their songs, Small Faces songs, and everything in between. Killer show.

Got a long way to go RTF. And, looking at yesterday’s game, we will be down to Nick Mullens in 2 weeks.

• rtfirefly says:

We move the ball wonderfully, and we have an All-Pro kicker (lol @Chargers and Browns). There’s just enough “something” there to make you believe this isn’t a really bad team.

Early doomerism going on here, granted the injury bug has been the biggest problem. Can’t expect the 2nd and 3rd string to carry a team. But what choice do they have. I don’t compare this to last year because of the injuries. If they were losing with all the right players then yes. So this is what we have win, lose or draw.
    Speaking of a draw, what has happened to football and just having sudden death OT. We have already 4 teams with ties in their records. That is stupid.

• Winder says:

Kevin- I think last year we led the league in injuries. Given we didn’t lose a player like JG but we did have swiss cheese lines and db’s for most of the year. I think we gotta take this year with a grain of salt. The team showed they’ve got some fight in em and at this point that’s pretty much all we can ask for. We could ask for better tackling but we’ve already been doing that.

• 12th Man says:

I read today there are 15 teams with more players on I.R. than the Niners. Not sure about non-I.R. injuries, which is what they are suffering from the most.

I agree with Kevin, people are very fast to go all in on the doom and gloom. CJ made PFF’s team this week as did 4 other Niners. I thought he played well, even without making the excuse of losing the 2 tackles and the center, who played hurt all game as did the RT.

I get that the record is similar to last year, losing close games, but before the season started most of us had the Niners at 2-2 at best in the first qtr. They are 1-3 and could have been 3-1.

Some bright spots on O are CJ, Brieda/Morris, Juice and of course Kittle.
        CJ has spread the ball pretty well and Bourne had a nice game because of that.

D is the big surprise area for me. I definitely expected growth from last year, even with the banged up and already thin backfield and Saleh, at least as far as I can tell, is still trying to make the current roster fit his scheme instead of adapting more to what he has. His scheme requires an excellent back 4, he simply doesn’t have that although Mabin did play well.

Armstead has been solid which I’m glad to see but other than him I don’t see the front 4 doing too much.

Foster improved and Warner had another good outing for the LB, both are relatively inexperienced at the NFL level but a few games together and they may be a force.

I would prefer more wins but I’m not down on how they have played as a whole.

7. Maggie Horowitz says:

Who’s the broad on the MNF pregame/halftime show? She sucks. Tell me SF didn’t have a chance to take Mahomes, that dude is awesome

8. alleykat69 says:

Yeah somebody better clue them in on not drafting Stanford players with their #1picks Solomon Thomás& Joshua Garnett sure looks like busts!!

Chuck, thanks for the POD 😀
    I couldn’t help but think ‘we’re cursed’ while listening to the game online yesterday.

I’m sticking with the fictitious Tribe from Youngstown as the reasons behind ‘The Curse’
    Since they came, my (Our) 9er Fandom has suffered.

Damn Gohblome Paleskins.
    I’m calling for a Shaman Medicine Man Detox Ritual.
    It may be our ONLY hope.

10. Lurker John says:

The Faces were a great band.

Yeah, before Rod Stewart sold out . . .

Yeah, that’s pretty much how it went. BeatHard played well enough to win but the Celek drop/pick was the game-changer. Instead of the Niners going up 24-23, the Clippers went up 26-17.