As The Tight End Turns (or shut up and show up, VD)

Well, Jimmy Graham has officially set the bar for TEs that are, well, him. He just signed a 4 year/$40 mill deal with $21 mill guaranteed. Disgruntled 49er tight end Vernon Davis is still talking to the trees when he expresses his desire for a contract extension. After saying for a couple weeks that if he doesn’t have a deal in place by camp it won’t be a big deal and that he’d be here, there are rumblings out of somewhere that he may not show.

What to do? Well, trading him may not be the most prudent thing to do, and certainly there is a market for him, but at what point do you tell him to shit or get off the pot? If this was a shitty deal (like say, Alex Boone’s), then I’d be behind him. However, he signed a very generous deal as a rookie, he signed the richest deal for a TE in the league back in 2010, and he’s still the 3rd highest paid TE in the league.

And he wants more? Sorry, no. He has once again positioned himself above the team. As he did for 3 years coming in to the league. We all remember click-clack, the dropped passes, and the stupid penalties. If he doesn’t show up to training camp, which opens on July 25th, I’d definitely think about trading him. Preferably to a team that needs a guy to hype. Tampa Bay and Jacksonville spring to mind. Even the Jets. They’d love his shtick in the Big Apple. The alternative is what? Bench him? Let him play when the games start? Certainly viable options, but the Niners are NOT going to knuckle under to him and his contract demands. To do so at this point would open the gates for guys like Crabs and Iupati to hold out next year.  The front office has been very very good at positioning themselves with team-friendly contracts and fallback positions should guys leave (hello, Dashon). The delicate balance between contracts, upcoming free agents, and the finite amount of money to go around is a messy and tangled web of current value, future potential, and aging players. A tough job that has waylaid many a team in this salary cap era. For VD to do this now is a fairly large threat to the team this front office and coaching staff has built.

Sure, VD’s a great talent, a top 3 TE. But the Niners should be able to get some great draft picks, and maybe a player or two,  for his services. And be free of the bullshit. Truth is, he’s a 30 year old TE. Is he worth a 4 year extension? Maybe. Maybe not. He’s a good blocker, and he’s got speed to burn, but the 49ers now have a solid stable of WRs and V McD can block as well, so they ain’t going to fall off the map without him. McDonald’s a decent pass-catcher as well, so why not trade the disease?

About these ads

35 Responses to As The Tight End Turns (or shut up and show up, VD)

SHIT-CAN the BUM posthaste!

Another good thing to see from the QB of the 9ers –
    Doing constructive activities for the benefit of others –
    Be it in Patriots Country or not…..

Oooh, Nippy drops the s-bomb.

Good stuff NJ. Couple things I like about that. It was a local rag (not the national media whores) that reported the story. And it is a good story. Funny, they got into the ‘swag’ thing. Swag doesn’t equal thug.

What’s cool is the crowd noise. There was about 20,000-25,000 there.

Hey where is the Flap Football thread? Did I miss it? Let’s see those pics man!

I’m getting there. Too much going on . .

Besides, I was sitting in the upper deck so the pics won’t be all that fantastic.

Chuck, why did you stay up in the upper deck. my son and I just wandered all around in the lower level. Paid for upper level tix. anyway that was a great time. Loved the throw to Eddie D.

Oh and RIP Johnny Winter.

Yeah, but when Johnny and Edgar got together it was pretty cool also!!

Old rockers are dying like flies.

Hell yeah. Take a look at The 501 from field level…

Yup. Defintely .. .

Huh. Actual Niner news. The 49ers sign Joe Staley to a 2 year extension through 2019.
    So the Niner motto appears to be:

Don’t ask and you shall receive.

Certainly doesn’t look like VD or Boone are priorities.

• Flavor says:

well, Boone is a fucking guard and those dudes are a dime a dozen, right? I would miss his KNBR morning shows, he’s got a great personality. So did Brian Jennings.
      VD is the worst. I’m sick of his shit and he’s replaceable, too. Once you start thinking you’re bigger and better than the team it’s time for you to go…..

The thing about Boone is he has played tackle, and played it very well. As players go, he’s certainly underpaid, but if I was him, I’d shut the hell up and do this a different way.

VD? yeah. He’s definitely an idiot. Like I said., I’d trade his ass to Jacksonville for some nice draft picks.

Shit, I’d take SS Jonathan Cyprien and their TE Mercedes Lewis and a 3rd rounder in a flash.

Lost in the deafening silence of nothing happening, the 49ers have announced Thursday that wide receiver Bruce Ellington, running back Marcus Lattimore, center Marcus Martin, fullback Trey Millard, cornerback Keith Reaser and offensive guard Brandon Thomas have been placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury List.

We all certainly know about Lattimore’s gruesome unjury that he suffered oin college. I wonder if he’s had any problems recently. The others I haven’t heard anything on. Martin and Ellington being my biggest concerns.

I was hoping those 2 would contribute right away,. but missing practices sure wouldn’t help their cause. Yeah, it’s early, but missed time is missed time.

I haven’t heard about any of these guys getting actually hurt, but they still count against the 90 man roster, and can be activated at any time until final cut-down day.

• rtfirefly says:

Lattimore’s clock struck midnight the second they drafted Carlos Hyde. Back to the pumpkin for him, the carriage was but a dream.

Great stuff with those videos guys. I knew Kap was the real deal and watching Eddie make that catch almost brought a tear to my eye. Glad to see some good stuff about the Niners. I was a big J. Winter fan myself and saw him in Santa Monica in 1970 with derringer(sp), he also had a blond girl with long hair who looked just like Johnny and they never stopped moving through the whole show, very high energy.

RT- Lattimore isn’t done yet.

Well, they certainly are hedging there, Winder. I’m hoping for the best, but Hyde could turn out to be the steal of the draft. Lattimore may just prove to be odd man out.

I’m more concerned with why Martin and Ellington are on the list. Like I said, Martin was projecting to be the starter, and Ellington the fast slot guy.

Patton I guess fills that role, but I haven’t heard much about who will be our starting center, other than it’s open for competition.

• rtfirefly says:

Speaking of Hyde, it’s almost exactly the 1 year anniversary of his assault arrest. He’ll fit right in.

19. I have to play the ignorance card. Until your comments I had no idea who in the hell was Johnny Winter. I could rattle off a few Shelley Winters films if you’d like.

You’ve got a deck full of them Dennis. Might as well play ‘em.

Aldon Smith got the gun violations classed as misdemeanors, and got 3 years’ probation, and 12 days in jail.

However, the 12 days can be served as part of a work release program where he goes in on 12 consecutive Mondays.

Here’s what Aldon had to say:

“I would like to apologize for my actions and I will abide by any order you give.”

Wonder what Goodie Goodell will have to say. He’s got to be happy the felonies got lowered to misdemeanors.

Makes it al the better when he doesn’t suspend him.

Chuck the PUP/NFI candidates are formalities.
    They could opt to red-shirt the eligible guys at the start of the season if they get tagged now.
    Simply a roster management maneuver.

Gives them a chance to see other guys in pads in the meantime.
    I wouldn’t be too concerned for Lattimore at this point.
    No question Hyde is the future Gore-replacement hopeful.
    Right now it’s about thinning the RB ranks with the guys that can’t pass protect.

LMJ would fit that bill perhaps?
    He’s also hoping Ellington doesn’t steal his PR duties in Camp either.
    If that happens, LMJ is trade bait.
    Chip Kelly in Philly would be a prime assumption IMO.

Yeah, that’s my point, NJ. I wanted to see Ellington out there now. Not next year. This team is so bad at integrating their WRs. Either they really suck at coaching these guys to play thjeior poisition, ar they’ve been gettin real dogs. Seeing Ginn catch nearly 40 balls as the 3rd WR gives me pause that it’s us.

New thread is up . . .