Colin the Benevolent . . .

Got to say, after hearing this presser with Colin Kaepernick, one would think he entered into this with his eyes wide open. He understands that the deal wasn’t all about breaking the bank for himself, but more about giving the team flexibility in dealing with other player contracts dwon the road. It’s also obvious to me he wants Crabs to re-up with the team.

He was surprised it got handled as quickly as it did, but he understood what the deal offered in the way of compensation and incentives. For a young player of Kaepernick’s caliber, this is pretty monumental. For the young leader of a team to put the team’s needs WAY in front of his is a huge deal inside the locker room. It’s hard not to respect a guy who obviously gets it. That the game is about the team, not the player (side note: maybe Mike Singletary should give Vernon Davis a call). That he can subsume his  personal gain for the benefit of the team. Major kudos to Colin. It’s not like he’s a poor little pauper through this, but he sure could have pushed for a lot more money and gotten it. No one would have begrudged him anything.

You know that loud groan you heard as these details came out were from Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, RG 3-13, and Andy Dalton. I’m sure their collective front offices are going to say “why can’t you be like Colin, and take a deal favorable for the team?”

Another funny side note is that all the people bitching and moaning about Kaepernick wanting to break the bank are now calling him a fool for signing in incentive-laden contract. Can’t have it both ways.

Here’s the press conference from Wednesday:

About these ads

85 Responses to Colin the Benevolent . . .

Colin Kaepernick is the man. He. is. the. man. This is such a smart move by Kaepernick and like Chuck wrote yesterday, it’s unprecedented. There are so many benefits and opportunities that will spring from this. He’ll be able to play longer because he’ll get better protection. He’ll be able to compete for more Super Bowls because he’ll have a team around him. He’ll be flat-out loved and adored by 49er fans for life. Commercials? Endorsements? Fans? This is a move by both Kaepernick and his agent that will pay huge, huge dividends down the road even if Kaepernick never wins a Super Bowl. And maybe even if Kaepernick gets injured. Why? Because people, communities, teams and the like don’t forget deeds. They forget words. They don’t forget deeds. I think Jim Harbaugh had a ton to do with this. Despite Harbaugh not getting how to relax your team before big games, or deal with the media or refs, Jim Harbaugh is really insightful in other ways (see interview after Browns scandal), and I think Harbaugh mentored Kaep a lot on this move and it’s pure genius.

~ Kaep gives me wood ~

I figured you’d like this one, Spitty.

BLEEP contracts! Whatever happened to a handshake and trust?

Del: Is California Chrome gonna do it?

Got to love Gatorade dogging Bron Bron yesterday.

Here’s one of their tweets:

”We were waiting on the sidelines, but he prefers to drink something else.”

Bron Bron apparently drinks Powerade.

Chrome should poop out if history is any indication. Please don’t bet on him.

Sherman gets the cover of Madden….Curse of the Turducken?

Kap is really turning out to be very special, and it’s gonna payoff in spades.

California Chrome is going to win the triple crown. You heard it here first.

Del – I’ve gotta agree with Chuck about the racial stuff. No place for it on the blogs. It’s not even that funny. Comedians talking about stereotypes can be hilarious, but calling a guy an N smacks of hate. Harmlessly disturbed is the angle you’re going for. Disgruntled sometimes, yes. You work that angle, too. But hateful is where Chuck should (and appears to) draw the line.

Now gays? I think gays are still fair game? I’m not sure. Correct me if I’m wrong, Chuck. But pillow biters are the death of the American way of life and should be rooted out with a fervor and passion bordering on hysteria the likes of which Goodwater and McCarthy would blush. We all know it’s a life choice and if they wanted to be straight they could just pray. I’m sure guys like NoFear and Berger were saying this five years ago. I’m sure they’ll also deny the denial of global warming. I already have a friend who’s going down that road. He was a global warming denier and just recently he’s trying to slide on over to the right side, denying he ever took a stance against global warming. It’s hilarious.

Republicans – a life time of denial. “Oh no, I never said sexuality was a choice….” In ten years…. “I’ve always believed global warming was a very real threat.” My ass.

• Spitblood says:

The Republican in me actually liked Tonalist. Not because Republicans like winners but because they love revisionist history…. and denial. California who?

Late to the Kaep Contract discussions but…..
    The REAL hero here is Paraage Marathe.

As we’ve all been throwing out years and dollars for months, it’s still a mirage when your Cap Man can make the headlines and, still have everyone combing through the language for days afterward.

I’m with 12th on the de-escalators too.
    Who does that?
    Inexperienced Agents, that’s who.

Dumb Agent, meet Smart Negotiator.

Cap-O-Nomics in SF is an artform.

I’d give Boone and his Revis Agents a chance at the table now too.
    He does deserve a bump IMO.

Holding out of mandatory Camp likely won’t get him any leverage but, it could help Iupati, when Boones’ meager salary is offered to him in an extension sweetener.

• Spitblood says:

“The REAL hero here is Paraage Marathe. Dumb agent meet smart negotiator?”

You’re an idiot. Paraage isn’t the one with all the talent, in the prime of his life giving up millions so the city has a better chance of winning a Super Bowl. Is that Paraage who’s doing that or Colin Kaepernick? Again…. you’re an idiot. And yes. I am entitled to my opinion and my opinion is you’re an idiot. No offense.

Spitblood
    Anyone who voted for Barry has no room to say anything about anything. He sends guys into harm’s way and they’re still there fighting and dying and he releases five terrorist generals back into the fight. What commander-in-chief/president does that? What sort of man does that? He’s as anti-American as they come and protects Arab/Muslim over American/Christian every time. Thanks for enabling the worst president/traitor in US history.

Your vote worked as well as your horse predictions only with real and dire consequences. Fun and games for you, though, all the same.

• Spitblood says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! NoFear up in the hizzy!!!!

First off, NoFear. I love that you connect my horse prediction with my vote for president. That’s super duper awesome. I’m somehow discredited by not predicting a horse race correctly. That’s like saying I’m an idiot for betting black when the wheel came up red.

Secondly, the prisoner swap was a good thing. Republicans are trying to claim this sort of thing doesn’t happen or is unprecedented but the reality is it happens all the time. Even an Idaho Republican congressmen recently stated that prisoner swaps and negotiating with the enemy have happened plenty in US history. It’s not uncommon. In addition, the Israelis will sometimes swap one thousand of their Palestinian prisoners for one Israeli troop. Are you saying we can’t handle five more bad guys? Gitmo needs to be closed unless you’re saying violating laws like George Bush, Cheeney, Ashcroft and Rumsfield did (worse than any other administration in US history) is a good thing.

You find yourself on the side of violation of laws, treaties and precendent enough, NoFear and you alienate and discredit yourself tremendously on the global stage. Recently Israel came about and said Obama was right in the way it dealt with Syria even though insane Americans like Cheeny and McCain want so desperately to keep the American war machine going.

You know what I love, No Fear? George Bush was such a horrible president that he got a black man and a woman elected president after him. Think about that. Say hello to 16 years of Obama and Hillary Clinton. And that’s what you get when you abuse the office of the presidency the way Bush, Cheeney, Rumsfield and Ashcroft did.

• NoFear49er says:

“Secondly, the prisoner swap was a good thing.”

Ridiculous to argue with one so clueless as to parrot something like that.
        Yeah, it was a good thing if you hate American fighting men and our allies and American contractors. Or if you’re a taliban sympathizer or wannabe.

Like I said, all fun and games to you. You can read about it when it’s over.

Blame Bush! Is that the name of your club that meets in the treehouse? Now you blame Bush for your stupidity in electing Barry?

You discredit ordinary sheeple.

• Spitblood says:

So NoFear are you telling me you fear these five men? I mean your name is NoFear. Should we change it? How ’bout this name?….. “NoFearExceptfour5guysfromgitmo9er.”

What about this name? “NoFearExceptfor5dirtfarmers.”

So here’s the deal for those who don’t listen to Fox news all night getting their dander up in a tizzy. These 5 guys have been released to Qatar where they’re going to be asked to stay for a year. Now surely for your political gain, NoFear, you’re going to say they’ll leave tomorrow with a nuclear bomb strapped to their back on a plane headed to New York, but the reality is two things – one is we’re leaving Afghanistan. The second is these guys have been in prison for over ten years. Do you really think as former military that they’re sharp as a blade, ready for combat and in addition, also ready to evade the strongest military in the world and all of its drone surveillance in the middle east? Do you really believe these guys are going to be immediately recirculated and back in the fight tomorrow? I don’t. I think the minute they try to leave Qatar they’ll be killed by a drone. And if I was one of them, I’d be scared shitless of the possibility. And after ten years in prison, I’d be happy to back on my native soil.

After ten years in prison these guys will take a few years to get back in the saddle. They won’t be a threat. But I appreciate your attempt at fear mongering. That’s page one of the Republican playbook. Page two reads…. “Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…..”

• Spitblood says:

This link warms my heart because it makes Republican heads explode. The best part about Republican heads exploding is that air isn’t messy. Now a Democrat or an Independent’s brain? Clean up on aisle two….

• Spitblood says:

One last thing about the five guys from Gitmo in Qatar….. If I was the American military or intel creating this deal with Qatar, I’d heavily incentivize the Qatarian government. I wouldn’t pay ‘em a penny upfront. But I’d say that if they were kept in Qatar for a year the US goverment would pay the Qatar government millions. Hell, he gave Pakistan millions each year to hide Osama from us. Why not pay Qatar? What do you think about paying Qatar, John Cougar?

• Spitblood says:

lol….. it really sounds like he’s saying “Pay Qatar.” I love me some me…

Spitblood’s Top 5 Saturday Night nonsensical nonsense that will make you sit up and say “WOW.”

1.) Q – better known as Anquan Boldin is the leverage behind Vernon Davis. The NFL is all about leverage. Players are fond of saying, “It’s a business.” In today’s NFL the business is leverage negotiations. Vernon intentionally announces his holdout after the draft because he didn’t want the 49ers to draft his replacement. But guess what? The 49ers have the best non tight end, tight end in the NFL on their roster in Q. Boldin could easily slide down the line of scrimmage from the slot to the TE position and the 49ers might actually gain a lot from the move. Boldin is smarter with better hands. Vernon’s only advantage over Q is speed, but the 49ers won’t be in need of Vernon’s speed as much this season with Carlos Hyde in the game to create a better play action because he can do more than Gore, AND because the 49ers also have Ellington. So Vernon loses leverage all sorts of ways. I say don’t fear going into the season with your wide receivers being Crabtree, Johnson, Patton, Ellington and Baldwin. TEs: Boldin, McDonald and Celek. Vernon can kick rocks.

2.) I’m betting the 49ers will sign Jim Harbaugh to a six year incentive laden deal in the next month, much like Kaep’s deal. I think Harbaugh had a lot to do with advising Kaep about how to go about signing his first real NFL deal. I think Harbaugh will also “put his money where his mouth is.” I look for a 6 year Harbaugh deal in June that gives him a base around current comparables but offers huge incentives for rings.

But even if that doesn’t happen, Harbaugh won’t be a lame duck head coach. Harbaugh might be the ultimate anti-lame duck head coach because as I see it there’s only about 10-12 true NFL playoff experienced head coaches who I think could win a Super Bowl, and Jim Harbaugh is one of them. My favorite question to ask after the Browns incident to our resident knucklehead, NJ, was… “Who replaces Harbaugh that’s equally as good?” Knucklehead’s answer was, “Charlie Weis.” Awesome. Insightfully awesome. The players would know that Charlie Weis and Jim Tomsula would be the start of a slipper downward slope of decline that guys like Barry Switzer symbolize to the old veteran fans and players in the know. If Jed York was ever stupid enough to let Harbaugh coach in his last year of his deal, which is doubtful Jed would be that dumb, the players would rally because all players want to win Super Bowls (at the core of who they are).

3.) How in the world anyone could spin the Colin Kaepernick deal into anything but an awesome gesture by Colin is beyond me. Those not recognizing Kaep’s gesture by either declaring Kaep’s agent a fool or by declaring Paraage a genius are simply out to lunch. Colin Kaepernick just did something monumental – something unseen and uncommon in sports, and really the Bay Area, in my humble opinion, isn’t singing Colin Kaepernick’s praises enough. And those who are pointing out flaws or misplacing the glory into the hands of the 49er organization are simply idiots. The 49er organization is the beneficiary of an enormously insightful and grand gesture on the part of a very young and talented player. But, honestly, genius is sometimes confusing to the feeble minded.

4.) The 49ers’ secondary could actually be better this year provided they stay healthy. The thing about Whitner, Rogers and Brown was they knew what it took to stay healthy the entire season. Rogers was slight but, like Deion, knew how to avoid contact for the most part. Ward, Brock, Culliver and Reid are going to need to learn how to stay healthy for an entire season. I look for fewer mental mistakes this year than some would anticipate from a young secondary like this. My concern isn’t mental mistakes. My concern is these young players staying healthy for 20 plus games. But from what I see on tape and watching Youtube clips, this secondary is more talented than the one that mostly just left for Cleveland and Oakland.

5.) Was Morse in the Breakfast Club? Pretty awesome to be in the Breakfast Club and tonight hit a walk off. He needs to go up to the dish in combat boots and play the clip, “I’m Crackin’ Skulls” as his intro music.

Spit my point about the Kaep Contract was the de-escalators.
    Pay attention.
    Paraage did his job by structuring a Cap friendly deal for the Team.
    Kaep is happy, that’s fine by me too.

Show me another QB Contract, in recent years, with that sort of language in it that is actually signed.

As many of us have discussed recently, Contracts are voodoo much of the time.
    All comes down to guaranteed money in the end.
    Paraage got the headline grabbing 7/126M while structuring it with de-escalators and other such criteria to reduce it further.

Yes, kudos to Kaep for thinking beyond himself.
    That wasn’t my point.
    If you were in his shoes, I’d be disappointed if you think your Agents did all they could have for you on that deal.

Again, just an opinion.
    We’ve all got one.

• Spitblood says:

I’ve got an opinion and my opinion is you’re an idiot. First you’d rather have Baalke than Harbaugh and you offer up Charlie Weis as your Harbaugh replacement, and now you’re saying Paraage is the real hero in the Colin Kaepernick signing. To me these two factors mean you’re idiot. But don’t be offended. Howard Stern had beetle juice. They got along. You’re my beetle juice.

Whatever gets you through the day Spit.

I’ll take a good GM ahead of a good HC, simply because the dynamic of any team begins with the guy building the roster.
        It was a hypothetical discussion with an either/or option.

Look no further than Dallas, as the reason why a piss poor GM does squat for an organization, regardless of the HC he appoints.
        In a perfect world, Baalke and Harbaugh continue to win together.

Jed has apparently tabled an extension to Harbaugh which has gone unanwered to date.
        He’s betting on winning the big one and writing his own deal.
        That’s fine.
        If he’s happy in SF, he’ll stay.
        If not, he’ll have guys like Jerruh who think the HC is the missing ingredient.

• Spitblood says:

Thanks. Calling you Beetle Juice will get me through my days. I appreciate the permission.

You somehow think I don’t value a GM. What gives you that impression? Need we revisit the debate where I handed you your ass regarding what’s easier to find – a replacement for Harbaugh or a replacement for Baalke? I came up with a good list of ten guys who could both evaluate talent and had the pedigree to formulate strategy alongside Harbaugh. You gave me Bob Stoops and Charlie Weis.

I know the GM position is important. It’s just like John Madden said, “It’s easier to replace a suit than it is a head coach.”

The debate was whether I would prefer one more than the other.
        Now I’m suggesting you don’t value the GM?
        Stay on point.

Few teams in the NFL have above average GMs Spit.
        I happen to think Baalke would be in that conversation.

He’s the guy that delivered Harbaugh if we’re to believe the press offerings that surrounded his hiring.

As for the replacement HC debate, go back and find where I said I’d take a stab at the question you posed.
        Simply an off the cuff attempt to provide some options to your challenge.
        Gave it a shot.

Want to crucify me for trying?

As for handing me my A$$?
        You obviously had the advantage of asking the question and having your answers ready.
        All it boils down to is, whether we have to answer those questions in reality, should Harbaugh or Baalke become an either/or choice for Jed.

For now, it’s about your opinion being the only opinion that matters.

• Spitblood says:

It doesn’t matter that I asked the question. It’s not like I jumped you from the bushes and you were unprepared. The question’s like Shakespeare. It’s fine art that lasts the test of time. You can pickup the debate anytime you’d like. Put it back down. Think about it. Come back to it in a year. Your conclusion will still be the same. I’ll give you a month… two, three or even a year to find a better or even equal replacement to Harbaugh. You can’t do it. The simple fact remains that Harbaugh is much, much harder to replace than Baalke. We can have this debate again in a month, and you can put together your secret skunkworks project of finding the next 49er head coach (hopefully by then you’ll offer up someone better than Charlie Weis), and that guy while still be far, far worse than Jim Harbaugh. However, I can find you at least three or four Trent Baalkes.

All hypothetical ‘what-ifs’ at this point.
        Should Harbaugh opt to move on it won’t be because Jed or Trent don’t value him.
        He’s been offered an extension as reported.
        I have no problem with him, short of his sideline antics at times.

Real easy to say the GM didn’t give me the right guys I guess.
        He needs to beat Pete and grab the Ring in SF.
        I happen to think Jed will pay him whatever he feels he deserves if that occurred.

• Spitblood says:

Man… you’re a nice guy. But you’re an idiot. Have I told you that before? I think I have. Not sure.

“If Harbaugh moves on it’s not because Jed didn’t value you him”

If Harbaugh moves on it’s EXACTLY because Jed didn’t value him. That would be the only reason. Harbaugh’s got the players. He’s got the new stadium. He’s got an amazing place to live. His kids are in school here. Wife loves the community. He’s established roots. Awesome climate. California, baby. It’s not Buffalo. He’s handpicked his qb to make Super Bowl runs with. The two have chemistry. It doesn’t get better.

The only reason Harbaugh would leave was because Jed York didn’t pay him fair market. Do you know, NJ, how to find fair market? Don’t take your eye off the ball when answering this question, NJ. Super Bowl rings have nothing to do with Harbaugh’s fair market value. Nothing. Case in point….. and don’t hate on the hypotheticals because hypotheticals are exactly what Jed York should be working through right now….

Let’s say in 2014 and even 2015 Jim Harbaugh doesn’t win a Super Bowl. Let’s even take a worst case scenario and say one of those two years he misses the playoffs because the Cardinals and Seattle bump the 49ers out one of those two years. That happens and Jed York and Harbaugh still can’t agree on a contract. Jim Harbaugh, after five years in SF ( with 4 out of the 5 years Harbaugh making the playoffs), hits the open market wanting 10 million a year to both head coach AND find, draft and develop the next franchise qb in the NFL. Those two are important factors. You don’t think the NFL sees that Harbaugh found, drafted or recruited both Luck and Kaepernick – two of the best young qbs in the game? You don’t think the NFL is a qb driven league? You don’t think it’s hard to find and develop qb talent? Well it’s not for Harbaugh. But it sure is for teams like the Browns, Dolphins, Jaguars, Vikings, Bills and Jets. Jim Harbaugh isn’t just a head coach who’s a winner. He’s not just a guy who will get you into the playoffs each year. He’s more than Pete Carroll. He’s more than Bill Belichick or Sean Payton. Why? Because Jim Harbaugh can easily….. EASILY both find you a franchise qb and he can develop that franchise qb while winning with them.

Did Pete Carroll find Russell Wilson? Yes. Did Bill Belichick find Brady? Yes. But nobody’s found Luck, rehabilitated Alex Smith and found and developed Colin Kaepernick. And that’s exactly why Harbaugh’s fair market value — if he were to hit the open market — would be 10 million per year. The Dolphins, Jets, Browns and other teams would all be lining up for Jim Harbaugh’s services. Right now, because Jed York has Harbaugh under contract for another two years, Jed doesn’t have to face the reality that Harbaugh isn’t just a head coach who will get you into the playoffs. Right now Jed can spin it like he hasn’t won the big one. But give it another few years and the focus won’t be on Super Bowls. The focus will then be on who wants their franchise pulled up from the cellar into immediate contention. And if the 49ers let Harbaugh walk, as discussed prior, the road from Jim Tomsula back to the Mike Singletary cellar will be expedited as Harbaugh’s talents position coaches and coordinators who are loyal to Harbaugh all eventually leave.

Jed York needs Harbaugh a whole hell of a lot more than Jim Harbaugh needs the 49ers.

Put a circle around the Eagles/SF game this season.
    I’m anxious to see whether Chip Kelly can give Jim a serious challenge or not.

Not many people felt Chip’s brand of football would work in the NFL.
    I happen to think that the Offense hasn’t been completely ready for the big NFL stage.
    Kaep took them through the majority of the early Playoff games with his legs.

Many of us have had our opinions on Roman being perhaps, the weak link,
    None of us knows what arrangements were made between Baalke and Harbaugh regarding who administrates the Coaching Staff.
    I’d have to think Jim had that authority.

If the Offense doesn’t find another level this season it will interesting to see whether Jim chooses to replace him or, go lame duck and seek another city to call home.

• Spitblood says:

Chip Kelly’s a sharp guy and a legit NFL head coach. I’ve reserved comment on Kelly for fear he’d be the next Steve Spurier (sp?). What I like about Kelly is that unlike Spurier, Kelly realizes that to win in the NFL he needs a complete team. Some college spread guys just focus on drafting or recruiting a few dominate offensive players and their formula becomes out-score the opponent. But that doesn’t work in the NFL. Kelly knows that and Kelly’s good enough to create a complete team. He went out and drafted a stud linebacker, safety, CB and DE. And yes, he did find two stud wide receivers who will replace Jackson, but first round was an OLB. I was also really impressed this year with the way he both handled the Philly press and the DeShaun Jackson situation. Chip’s the real deal.

Did you guys know that there are 3 demographics for marketing? There are obviously more subtle categories, but 3 are generally agreed upon by all American ad firms. The 3 are Cultural Creatives, Moderns and Heartlanders. Of the 3 groups, traditionally, Heartlanders are the least educated. Heartlanders are the American flag waving, apple pie, blue collar types. I call ‘em Walmart Republicans. Most Heartlanders only have a high school diploma. There’s nothing wrong with not having a college education. Some of the smartest people I personally know are self-educated. But those are individuals. When you get a group or mass of uneducated people together, you’ve got problems. America’s becoming less and less educated. No education can easily lead to being brainwashed. No education means “group think.” And that’s what you have when the rich intentionally target Heartlanders.

Freedom isn’t free? This statement, “Freedom isn’t free,” is by far the biggest scam… biggest sham… most effective way the rich in American have pulled the wool over the eyes of the Heartlanders. They believe it. They believe freedom isn’t free even though literally 30-40 different countries globally are free without huge millitaries, and some without militaries at all. Know why the rich in America have brainwashed the heartlanders to love their military? Because it’s a 500 billion dollar a year industry. Know who their foremost influential spokesmen are? Guys like Dick Cheney and John McCain. Arizona has huge defense contracts. So instead of smart diplomatic policies in places like Russia and Syria, McCain and Cheney attack Obama because if the bullets fly, the war machine rolls on. Cheney was just on TV calling Obama one of the weakest presidents ever. McCain calls Obama’s foreign policy “fleckless.”

Despite these attacks by guys like NoFear, President Obama will widely be known in future years as a man who brought America back to sanity – back to its senses. Obama is exposing Americans like McCain and Cheney for who they are – men at the mercy of the American war machine. Killing people needlessly to support our military industry. Iraq? Over half a million people were killed in Iraq because of Dick Cheney. Think about Iraq We used weapons of mass destruction to dupe the American people, even congress, into going to war. We also used the killing of the Kurds as an excuse. Saddam killed 100,000 Kurds near the border, so he had to go, but Cheney and Bush killed or “facilitated” a mass slaughter of 400,000 Iraqi deaths when Paul Bremmer disbanded the Iraqi police, allowing civil war to erupt out into the streets, but Saddam was the monster? Bush, Cheney and Rumsfield were the monsters. Read the book “Joker One”…. a book written by a Harvard graduate who went to war for his country and wrote about clearing literally 10-20 dead bodies off the streets per day…. these were not deaths at the hands of Americans. These were deaths at the hands of Iraqis killing each other because there was no police to stop their civil war. And Rumsfeld covered it up with total bs stories about people like Jessica Lynch. Go read John Krakeur’s book about Pat Tillman. While Iraq burned, Cheney and Halliburton plundered. And that was Cheney’s intention all along – to plunder. Rumsfeld spun and crammed crap down the American people’s throats, and we bought it.

General Dwight D Eisenhower… later President Eisenhower warned of America becoming a military industrial complex. In fact, he was so concerned about it that as he left office his last speech was dedicated to warning Americans about the relationships between our economy and our military. Did you know today that most high-ranking military officers usually now retire and work for defense contractors as lobbiests or advisers? No wonder McCain and Cheney want us to invade Syria… invade Russia…… invade Iran.

Today in America we have one of the most under educated group of people – Republicans (or Heartlanders), that we’ve ever had spewing on and on about how “Freedom isn’t Free.” Raging, with fervor about Obama’s weaknesses because they’ve been duped. They’ve been brainwashed to think that war’s the answer. Diplomacy is a weakness. Sanctions like those against Russia and Iran are foolish. Demands for the Syrians to disarm their chemical weapons are weak. But the reality is that Obama’s foreign policy works…. it’s just. It gets results without death. Obama, despite the Republicans hating him with a passion, is showing the world that America can once again be rational and not want to work the war machine back up into a frenzy. It’s ironic that some soldiers who have seen war want so badly to continue the killing.

Thank you, President Obama. Thank you for ending these wars and not starting more wars – not killing more innocent people just because Republicans want to see the 500 billion dollar defense spending gravy train continue to roll. They don’t care that people all over the world die because our military supports our economy. Those deaths are oceans away – far removed. Might as well be lifetimes away for them. The guy sitting in an Arizona warehouse making missiles just hopes to keep his job so he hates Iran. He hates Russia. Bomb ‘em. And McCain says bomb ‘em. And Cheney says “Bomb ‘em.” And to be fair, Obama has bombed ‘em with drones in Afghanistan. He’s done it more than Bush…..

But if you take a view from 30,000 feet, looking down on America… in perspective….. Obama has worked to stop the war machine. And he’s certainly taken a lot of heat for it. But he’s done it without our economy collapsing. He’s done it while keeping America safe. Obamacare isn’t Obama’s legacy. Slowing down the American war machine is Obama’s legacy. At least in my eyes. Thank you President Obama for slowing down the American war machine. It hasn’t been easy. Here’s to hoping Hillary will continue Obama’s efforts.

Spit to your point about Jim and the QB perspective, no argument.
    He was the anti-Nolantary option and, he paid immediate dividends for us.

I don’t think it’s completely hinged to the SB for Jed either, I think it’s on Jim to top Pete to be honest.
    Not that Jed needs to see it, moreso, Jim NEEDS to do it, for himself.

Question for me is this.
    Does Jim really want the higher Contract or the bragging rights?
    Would he walk away from the NFC West if he doesn’t beat Pete?

To take him at his word, that it’s NOT about the money, is suspect at best.
    Perhaps Jed is playing into his insecurities, by adding zeroes to the offers we read about?

I believe Jim loves the challenge of Seattle and Carroll and wouldn’t feel comfortable until he’s conquered his nemesis.
    We’ll see what happens.

Jim has to realize that the Offense isn’t scaring anyone too.
    What he does to correct it this year, will make all the difference between stepping up, or falling back.

• Spitblood says:

I believe Jim Harbaugh when he says it’s not about the money. I honestly do. Here’s a guy who drives around in an old truck and shops for pants at Walmart. His family, his friends, his parents, his children, his grandchildren will be financially secure for generations, and Jim Harbaugh is a long, long way from retirement. Jim Harbaugh is one of the elite people in football who made good money as a player, now makes good money as a head coach. That’s a long time to earn big money in the NFL, and it’s not like he’s spending it. Even if Jim retired tomorrow, I don’t see him buying a palace and eating grapes from the hands of nymphs. The guy goes to South America each year to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. He’s well grounded.

That said, I don’t understand why Harbaugh and York haven’t reached a new deal. It may, honestly, just be more about respect for Jim Harbaugh, and I could see that being a point of contention for both sides. Harbaugh is more than Pete Carroll because Harbaugh can and will turn around your organization while finding you a franchise qb. Harbaugh wouldn’t waste your millions on Matt Flynn. No doubt in my mind Jim Harbaugh knows this. The new stadium is, no doubt in my mind, the house that Jim Harbaugh built. I used to write four years ago….. No Harbaugh, No Stadium. Know Harbaugh, Know Stadium. Remember that? It was, before Harbaugh, a pipe dream. Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye could have pushed that deal through about as fast as Hitler being fast tracked for a Noble Peace Prize. I think Harbaugh wants both the recognition for the stadium, the playoffs each year, salvaging Alex Smith and developing Colin Kaepernick. Aside from Pete’s ring, Jim Harbaugh has done and accomplished a whole hell of a lot more in SF than Carroll has in Seattle. Sure, Pete’s got the ultimate prize, but Harbaugh started with a lot less, and Harbaugh now right there with Pete, neck and neck…

That said, like I wrote before, I think Harbaugh gets a new deal this month…. for six years. I think it’ll be heavily incentive laden. Harbaugh and Kaep’s deal will be similar in both length and motivation. The way you show Harbaugh the respect he wants for the accomplishments he’s achieved is through money, but money isn’t his driving factor.

Eating grapes from the hands of nymphs? You watching I Claudius again?

Spit I see it the same way, Jim is an ‘Old-Soul’ football guy, simple, but complicated.
        You and I don’t differ much on his value.
        This has been an either/or topic between Baalke and Harbaugh.
        Be nice to keep the pair together for as long as possible.

I too hope they find Jims’ ‘sweet-spot’ and keep him around.
        I do believe he wants to topple Pete, in order to validate his brand though.

Pete started with a far weaker roster than Harbaugh and that’s not in question. No revisionist history please. I’m no fan of Pete but credit where it’s due, he has done more with less.

Adam Schefter is reporting that Richard Sherman’s deal is a lot like Colin Kaepernick’s deal. Both can be cut any off season. It’s even riskier for Sherman because he’s not a quarterback and he doesn’t have the league protecting him the way they do quarterbacks. So 12th and NJ? Is Richard Sherman’s agent an idiot as well? Are the Seattle Seahawks master negotiators?

Next year guys like Luck and Newton will get their Jay Cutler money and beyond, and people will look at Kaep as a sucker. But Colin Kaepernick will be competing for Super Bowl rings – the way he intended. Kaep didn’t get fleeced. He didn’t stumble backwards into the poor house of representation. Kaep knew what he was doing, and the people of SF will not forget this gesture.

You must be his agent.

Spit the contention I had was the DE-ESCALATORs.
      That’s a poison-pill in terms of protection down the road.

Any Contract allows a team to cut a player loose.
      It’s the guaranteed portion of said Contract that immediately becomes accelerated against the Cap when that happens.
      Teams seek budget management year to year, Agents seek guaranteed dollars.

I’ve said many times, Cap-language is voodoo, with numerous ways to fluff a ceiling total.
      Trust me, we love the deal Kaep signed as a team.

I just think Kaep got shortchanged by his Agents allowing ways to LOSE him money, ANY Money, within the language of said deal.

• Spitblood says:

God damn you’re an idiot. How many times do I have to tell you? Kaep chose to leave money on the table so his team could sign more impact players. He said this the day of his signing. Did you fall and bump your head?

No moron, I’ve been banging foreheads with you.
        I get the point of Kaep looking out the team. Admirable of course.

There are ways to accomplish that without de-escalators.
        Say for example you sought a smaller dollar deal instead?
        Why fluff the headline and punch holes in the backend of the deal?

Unheard of, especially for the QB position.

You’re confusing the Kaep generosity angle with the Agent’s allowance of the de-escalators.
        Must be your Kaep induced woody causing the confusion.

• Spitblood says:

I swear to God I’m going to drive to New Jersey to slap you. If they structured it as a bonus (winning a ring or 2nd team All Pro) would your feeble brain not go into panic mode? It’s the same thing, just approached differently for reasons I’m sure we’ll both never fully understand. Just look at it as a bonus, Beetle Juice.

Point is Spit, it’s a rare, if not first occurence, of such language in a QB deal that I’ve heard of.

Kaep sees a big raise, good for him.
        Agents saw huge banner deal exceeding $120M, good for them.

Then you pick apart the deal and realize it’s a better deal for Paraage.
        Both sides are happy, nothing to complain about.
        Chicago overpaid for Cutler as did Jerruh with Romo.

Deals are only as good as the paper they’re printed on, and how much you’re guaranteed.

• Spitblood says:

I just told you earlier, Beetle Juice…. Richard Sherman’s deal was constructed in a similar way. Who cares if he’s not a qb?

I’ll type slowly for you in the hope it sinks in…$2 mil de-escalators bad…guaranteed money good. If your position is that Kap really wanted $11 mil and the $2 mil de-escalator is a bonus if earned you don’t have a woody, you are one.

And here’s something else to consider about how much value Jim Harbaugh has brought to the 49ers…. and why Harbaugh should be the highest paid coach in the NFL – the Alex Smith trade. I don’t care what coach you brought into SF… nobody else gets you two second round draft choices for Alex Smith. Nobody. That’s Jim Harbaugh 100%. It wasn’t Trent Baalke who worked with Smith in all phases of Smith’s game. It wasn’t Trent Baalke who developed a game plan of stretching the field horizontally with plays like the fly sweep so even if teams crashed the box because Smith couldn’t throw deep the Smith still had the tools to win. It was Baalke who created a public image rehab campaign around Smith saying “He’s elite,” or “It’s time to give Alex Smith some credit….” Or yelling “Clutch! Clutch!” when Harbaugh knew the cameras were on him after the Detroit game. It wasn’t Trent Baalke that called the qb sweep around the end with Joe Staley leading the way in the Saints’ playoff game (the only playoff game Alex Smith has ever won, btw). And it wasn’t Trent Baalke who said in the media after Kaep took the 49ers to the Super Bowl, “We have the best quarterback situation in football right now” when Harbaugh was trying to find a suitor for Smith.

Sure, Baalke has parlayed those picks, but Harbaugh turned straw into gold with Alex Smith and Jim Harbaugh single-handedly created two extra second round draft choices for the 49ers. Show me another head coach with those talents. Anyone?

A stadium? Two draft picks? A franchise qb. 3 NFC Championship games? Pete Carroll inherited a stadium with a great owner. Pete Carroll botched the Matt Flynn deal. Pete Carroll brought with him controversy from USC. To be fair, Carroll did find Russell Wilson and Carroll has a ring that Jim doesn’t, but Jim’s achieved a lot more that will have long lasting effects on this organization. Paul Allen could keep the Seahawks afloat. But Jed York? Give me a break. Harbaugh carries more of burden than Carroll.

Harbaugh for Governor! After that President, we’ll be at war with Russia in no time. Oops politics again. Sorry.

• Spitblood says:

What has Paul Allen done? Oh yeah, he was apart of the creation of Microsoft…. one of the biggest software companies in the world. He knows a little something about running companies. What has Jed York done? He tweets with Grant Cohn. Jim Harbaugh carries a much bigger burden than Pete Carroll.

Spit – I think we all appreciate teh results, don’t we?

Baalke recruited Harbaugh.
    Jed wrote the check.
    It’s an Organization for a reason. All the parts should function in unison.

We have a great situation in SF since Jim arrived.
    No one disputes that.

For whatever reason you seem to have to side with Jim or Trent.
    Neither guy does it alone.

Agree completely, Jim is worth his weight in gold concerning the QB position.
    We all knew early on that Alex wasn’t going to keep the job over Kaep.
    It’s business, Trent found a deal with the shine Harbaugh applied to Alex.

Win/Win for the 49ers.
    Which is all we want to see each and everyday, 49ers getting closer to the top of the League.

Jim AND Trent have to find a way to get this Offense into another gear this season.
    They will find a way to get it done or something will need to change, like the OC.

You’re an idiot.

Trent recruited Harbaugh? Bullshit. I don’t care the past connections the two men had while Jim was at Stanford. Harbaugh had connections all over the NFL. Harbaugh wasn’t limited to Trent Baalke’s friendship. Did you know that Harbaugh played in the NFL as a quarterback, NJ? Did you know that? Did you know Harbaugh coached in the NFL with the Raiders? He could have had that job in Oakland if he wanted it. DId you know Harbaugh’s brother coached in Baltimore? I don’t know if you knew that. Harbaugh was well connected with people all over the NFL.

The reason Jim Harbaugh took the 49ers’ job was because the team had some nice pieces in place already that Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary and Scot McCloughan drafted and developed. The 49er had a good to awesome offensive line that Mike Singletary was largely responsible for drafting. Mike Singletary dumped McCloughan weeks before the draft so Singletary could get a power O line – he drafted Davis and Iupati…. and Taylor Mays. It was widely reported Singletary and Baalke didn’t like each other.

Harbaugh saw the line Singletary put in place, the running back McCloughan found (Gore), the tight end (Vernon Davis) that Nolan found, the D line Nolan brought in, the linebackers McCloughan drafted and Singletary coached, and Harbaugh saw this team was very close to competing if Harbaugh could just find a franchise qb. And guess what, NJ? Franchise qbs might just be Jim Harbaugh’s forte? Isn’t it?

Jim Harbaugh saw that right in his backyard there was a floundering NFL team that he could rejuvenate and turn into an immediate contender. Trent Baalke had nothing to do with the recruiting process. What did Baalke say? “Hey Jim…. Yeah, I’m the default GM because Singletary (who was unceremoniously fired btw) dumped our real GM, McCloughan, weeks before the draft.

You’re right, NJ. Baalke’s experience must have been a huge selling point during Harbaugh’s selection process. Thank god for Baalke.

And you’re a Moron – What’s your point?

Subversive from within aren’t you?
      See it whatever way you choose to Spit – you’re one myopic SOB anyway.
      It is what it is.

Ballke is the GM.
      Jim is the HC.
      Deal with it, however it came about it.

Richard Sherman signed a 4 year / $56 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $10,771,970 signing bonus, $12,431,000 guaranteed,
    and an annual average salary of $14,000,000.

•$12.431M fully guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2014 base)
    •2015 Base Salary fully guarantees 5 days after 2015 super bowl.
    •2016 Base Salary + $5M of 2017 Base Salary guarantees 5 days after 2016 super bowl.

Colin Kaepernick signed a 6 year / $126 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $12,328,766 signing bonus, $61,000,000 guaranteed,
    and an annual average salary of $21,000,000.

•$12.97M initially guaranteed (2014 salary + signing bonus)
    •2015 salary fully guarantees on 4/1/15
    •2016 salary fully guarantees on 4/1/16
    •2017 salary fully guarantees on 4/1/17
    •$5.2M of 2018 salary fully guarantees on 4/1/18
    •2015-2020: $125,000 per game bonus

•Potential $12M of de-escalation at $2M per year from 2015-2020.
    This can be voided annually with 80% of snaps AND
    Super Bowl Appearance or 1st/2nd Team All-Pro•
    Must purchase (after-tax dollars) a disability policy for $20 million if suffers career-ending injury paid to 49ers
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

We all want Kaep to stay healthy and play out his deal, that makes everyone happy but, just in case….
    Paraage has a disability rider attached which Kaep can afford now.

I see nothing in Dicks’ Contract terms where he’s agreed to de-escalators –
    That’s the difference it makes.

• Spitblood says:

The two deals are similar in that both can be voided at the end of the year if their respective teams desire. This is a relatively new concept first seen as far as I know with the Sherman deal, followed by Kaep. Actually, Smith’s deal was like this as well. Kaep’s bonus, or de-escalator as you call it, is for a ring or second team All Pro or better. There’s no mystery to the bonus. You make second team All Pro, or you get a ring and you get paid more. It’s not a poison pill you turd.

Kaep intentionally signed a deal well below fair market so the 49ers would be contenders. You keep claiming Kaep was stupid or his agent was stupid and I’ll make good on my threat to go to NJ and slap the taste out of your mouth. This debate passed stupid years ago…. Pull your head out of your ass, NJ.

De-escalate does not equate to Bonus either you putz.

Bonuses are typically attached as incentive clauses.
        Good health to Kaep, may he achieve every penny of his deal.

We’re gonna agree to have our differences of opinion on the contract language Spit.

I just want to see Kaep get us a Ring or 2 before he sees the end of this deal.

Where’s the Chuck? The inmates are running the asylum!

The deal is what it is. No need to parse into oblivion. The talking heads out there say either Kappy’s a stud for leaving a lot on the table, or he’s a rube for letting his agent get hoodwinked. Which is what you guys are saying.

Thhng is, Kappy specifically told his agent to not go balls out on the deal, and that is how they worked it. Advantage Kappy.

Good for the team, and Kappy still gets a shitload of money. Is it Manning money? No. Does Kappy care? Apparently not. Which IS good. Because the Ravens cratered last year mainly due to the Flacco contract.

But seriously, when you are dicking over $19 mill compared to $16 mill (or whatever fucking numbers they are) it’s fucking ridiculous money anyway, so in the end it’s bragging rights. I think the bragging rights Kappy wants are of the Super Bowl variety. With that being said, I think Manning would trade $50 mill of his salary for a trophy or 2. As would Rogers or Worthlessberger. And those guys already have one. Brady already did take a smaller deal to keep the Pats relevant. Think Cutler would gladly lose money for a shot a brass ring? Romo? Well, maybe not Tony . . .

• Spitblood says:

I don’t know that I agree that it’s just bragging rights. Manning certainly knows the difference between 15 and 19 million. He can do a lot with that 4 million. A younger player like Kaep doesn’t know the spending power or leverage of 4 million. You can’t really blame Manning or label him greedy. He does a lot of good in communities all over the world. I guess it’s just a matter of how much control you want. Manning wants control by maximizing contracts and giving back to communities. Kaep doesn’t want as much control over potential revenue, and he just gives back to his team.

The best thing about what Kaepernick’s done is he’s creating a standard for his team. Vernon Davis is f’n that standard up, but after Vernon is swept under the rug, Kaep’s standard for the team will remain. That standard is….. “I don’t get paid until I win rings.”

One thing I don’t understand about Kaep’s contract, and maybe someone can enlighten me…. Let’s say Kaep wins a Super Bowl in 2014 and gets paid 2 million more. What happens if he doesn’t win a Super Bowl or make at least second team All Pro in the following year…. 2015? Is the 2 million extra paid on a year by year basis? I hope so.

Yes it is, each year he can lose $2 mil regardless of the year before. I haven’t looked at the Sherman contract at all but if NJ is right his guaranteed money is $23 mil +-, that’s $10 mil more than our franchise QB. Kap signed it so it’s over.

This is what you and I have been banging heads on Spit –

The De-Escalators –

For him to keep $12M of this deal –
        He’s got to take 80% of the Offensive snaps each year
        And
        Make the SB
        Or
        1st/2nd Team Pro Bowl.

That’s some crazy language to me.

There are a lot of QB deals coming up, so we’ll see how Smith, Newton, Wilson, and Ginger do.

And the scenario where QBs are making double what Kappy makes is far-fetched at best.

Love the fact that Kaep took this deal Chuck.
      All things considered, I thought his Miami situation clouded negotiations just enough.

I really don’t get the language used in the de-escalators though.
      That’s some strange-a$$ sh!t right there.

All we can do now is watch, and see if he turns into our franchise QB.

Chuck, a snippet from the far fetched:

“Early projections for Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck and the Seattle Seahawks’ Russell Wilson, who will be due new contracts next offseason, suggest a jump to $25 million annually. As early as 2015, then, Kaepernick’s deal could be paying him half of what Luck and Wilson might be receiving.”

Taken from this article:

And bear in mind, this “far fetched” possibility assumes the best case scenario of Kap attaining those de-escalators.

Not only is it not far fetched but i would say it’s almost a certainty that several of those other guys will earn at or close to double Kap salary, certainly on the years they sign their deal since they will get a signing bonus and salary whereas Kap got just one of those items. I am surprised he took such a team deal but that is OK with me, allowing de-escalators on top of such a team friendly contract will amount to insult to injury if they trigger.

The writer of the above piece uses Culpepper as an example of what happens once a player becomes aggrieved with his way below market contract, something I wrote about last week. That is my real concern with it. If he plays up to expectations he is a top 5 QB getting paid at 12th in the league and around 16th/17th if he loses $2 mil. Those are the kinds of things that can come back to bite the team, being too greedy in the negotiations.

I guess it’s possible he just doesn’t care in which case there is nothing to worry about but I think that’s unlikely in the long run and we will see this turn nasty around 2016

My understanding is that the de-escalator stops for the duration once Kaepernick goes to the Super Bowl or is named All-Pro first or second team. He doesn’t have to do it every year.

Seems reasonable since if the team’s chances fall apart due to say, the defense breaking down he can still get named All Pro for individual effort and earn the bonus money for the remaining life of his contract.

As I said earlier, he could still go the way of the Sanchez so I don’t see all the heartburn over the team trying to stay in business with contingency planning. If he plays well he’ll get paid well and if he doesn’t, why should he?

Oink!

That is different to what I read NF but if you are right it makes at least the poison pill part of the contract bearable. It is still way under market but that is his choice, let’s hope he can live with it.

26. Yes, that’s how I saw it too, NoFear. You hit it once, and all the de-escalators go away. Thing is, if Kappy is doing very well this year, he certainly won’t hit the 80% of the plays mark. If we play our usual stodgy offense, he will.

Besides, say he wins a Super Bowl next year (or this), I think the team would be willing to work out something with him for the future. He’s still young, and maybe these other guys pass him up salarywise. Who’s to say he gives a shit? The fact he signed this one fully realizing the ramifications makes me think he doesn’t really judge his worth by his bank account.

27. Here’s Kappy’s base salary for thre next 7 years.
    2014 645,000
    2015 12,400,000
    2016 13,900,000
    2017 16,500,000
    2018 17,000,000
    2019 18,800,000
    2020 21,000,000

Plus the $2.3 mill signing bonus parcelled out over the next 6 years. Plus the de-escalators which would pretty much cancel out the signing bonus. So, you think Andrew Luck will be making $33 mill in a couple years? I don’t. If so, Indy can become the next Baltimore Ravens team. A high-priced QB with little else.

I hope Seattle DOES throw the baby out with the bathwater in dealing with Wilson (and Newton/Luck as well). No matter how much that cap number goes up, they’ll still be crippled by those deals. I wonder if this will start a new way of writing deals. Wilson is in the envieable position of having won it all. His teammates are already jumping ship for the money. He gets a huge deqal, the exodus will continue faster.