OTAs, Get Your (strictly voluntary) OTAs . . .

So, between the NFLPA and Jolly Roger & Co, the NFL has a very structured approach to how the season starts, what happens in these initial gatherings, and who is allowed to do what to whom, Organized Team Activities have started. All this means is the offense walking through plays without pads, no hitting, but defenders kinda standing around providing obstacles. One thing I did hear about was Kappy, Boldin, Crabs, and Lloyd working on the red zone offense. Whether they scored or not wasn’t reported.

The only news coming out of these OTAs so far is the fact that Alex Boone and Vernon Davis haven’t shown up. Boone has voiced his concerns with his contract status right now, and is angling for a raise and extension. Vernon Davis’s absence is not clear at this point, but as of now since these OTAs are voluntary, this isn’t too alarming. But this doesn’t paint a picture of a team totally in harmony either. The rumblings around 4949 Centennial Blvd. is that Colin Kaepernick is looking to break the bank in his desire for a new contract. Is this a factor in Boone and possibly Vernon Davis suddenly wanting to get theirs before Kappy absorbs all the free money laying around the building? This is certainly a possibility. And this also follows along with the fact that Kappy’s signing would preclude keeping guys like Michael Crabtree and Mike Iupati, among others, as their contracts are coming due. Something we’ve all discussed for the last few months. To throw another wrench into the Kappy negotiations, Alex Smith apparently wants $18 mill a year, although his wife (!) has come out and said this is a false claim.

Since nothing is set in stone with the Kappy deal, there’s a ton of uncertainty right now with who can sign and when, not to mention the legal wrangling around Kappy, Aldon Smith, and Chris Culliver. Add the Harbaugh trade to Cleveland, and all the supposed animosity between Harbaugh and Trent Baalke and you have another layer of strange. As far as the rookies go, most are signed, with the exception of Marcus Martin, the center from USC. So, even though it’s the beginning of a brand new season, there’s a lot of weirdness floating around Santa Clara.

The future is now for a lot of the team as it is currently structured. They are poised to once again make a push for the Super Bowl, they have a strong team and a brand new stadium to fill, but a bad season could derail Harbaugh’s job, could concievably drive Kappy among a lot of other players out of here, and could send the team into a death spiral. If there’s any constant in the NFL it’s that it is VERY hard to stay relevant for any length of time, and it is very easy to slip from the perch of being a top-tier team.

About these ads

52 Responses to OTAs, Get Your (strictly voluntary) OTAs . . .

The one thing I’ll say is Harbaugh’s shelf life in his last few stints has been 4 years.

This is year 4 for him . . .

Well, it’s official now. VD is holding out of the OTAs to bring to light the fact he wants a better deal. Davis, whose current deal gives him $7.35 mill this year with his guaranteed money and bonusses (minus $200,000 for missing the OTAs) is 2nd, only $50,000 behind Jason Witten in average salary for 2014. It’s not like he’s way under everyone else out there. Shit, Jimmy Graham is ‘only’ getting $7 mill under the TE franchise tag.

The Niners did right by him in 2010, giving him a huge 5 year, $37 mill deal. Not sure what he wants now, and how hard he’s going to push this, but really, for all his talent, he’s certainly not the only TE out there. Yeah, he’s had great success, but the fact that a bunch of guys are getting all worked up about their salaries right now, as we are trying to sign our QB, is interesting to say the least.

The problems noted in the thread are all problems related to a high level of success. I’d rather have those problems than the ones we were dealing with in the Ericsonn-Nolan-Sing era. We’ve come out of the Dark Ages into the Renaissance. Instead of fighting over potato scraps, now we’re building grandiose monuments in Santa Clara and computing the orbits of the planets…

Harbaugh will coach the 49ers for 20 plus years. Much to my delight, and Del’s detriment.

We’re close to discovering the secrets of alchemy, Snarkk, but we ain’t quite there yet. Until we are, this is still an uphill battle. Harbaugh is saying things like Kappy is going huge this year. I hope fir everyone’s sake he’s not blowing smoke. They need to give Kappy more options and better schemes to utilize. Granted last year was an outlier due to the fact he had little in the way of resources at WR, but I don’t think the coaching staff helped him nearly as much as they could have.

VD got a deal that paid him a lot of money up front. Now he wants to renegotiate? He’s following the path of Dashon Goldson out the door. 2 years on his deal, and he’s going to hold out? Sorry, but fuck off Vernon.

• snarkk says:

VD is an effective player, but is he even in the top 5 of TEs in the league anymore? He’s a good blocker. He had some good seasons in the EZ. He’s just always seemed to me to have average hands, and fast, but not particularly elusive after the catch…

GOODBYE VERNON!

Vernon came in way overhyped, and it took aluminum Mike to knock him down a few pegs to get him in line with the program. Yes, he’s fast, and he runs great routes, but I don’t think he’s close to guys like Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates. Granted, he’s been limited as much as the rest of the WRs by the emphasis on the run game, but he’s getting up there, and while I think he may deserve a little bump (much like Boone), he won’be getting the big deal he may want. They have to sign Kappy before they do anything else.

Problem is, VD’s our deep threat. Until someone else comes along. Ellington better get some looks as a deep guy.

Interesting what’s happening right now…..

Seattle’s weaker because they won the Super Bowl and everyone left afterward for bigger paydays else where. Can’t blame ‘em. They got a ring, now they want a bigger retire fund. Nothing wrong with that.

But now in SF, guys like Boone and Vernon want more money without winning a Super Bowl. They signed contracts, haven’t won a Super Bowl, but still want bigger money. Vernon especially should shut up because Cam Chancellor shut his ass down in the NFC Championship game. Vernon hardly contributed in the NFC Championship game against Seattle. He did, however, contribute in years prior. He did have a big NFC Championship game against the Giants. But, Vernon…. what the hell have you done for me lately? Here’s to hoping Vance McDonald has a big Sophomore campaign.

Yeah, Cam laid him out a few games ago, and VD’s a little gun shy around him. If McDonald gets into the flow, hey, I’m all for it. VD wants to whine for 2 years? Fuck that. Trade him after this season.

Click clack my ass was what I used to say . . .

Didn’t see this one coming though. Puts the pressure on Ellington to become a deep threat, because VD’s all we got. Scarily enough.

10. Can ya believe this unbelievable bullshit? Can ya? Seriously. Somebody help me.
    Excuse me. Where’s my manners. How you all doing?
    I’m no doctor, but I’ve seen enough of ‘em and played the role of doctor/patient all my life so I can play amateur M.D. myself one more time…

Pretty sure my other goddamn motherfucking worthless spine-tingling foot is broken now as well. No joke. I have an unscheduled, scheduled “emergency” visit to go see my surgeon in Walnut Creek on Monday. I’m outta feet now. Both left and right are kaput.

I didn’t ask for this shit, but apparently I’m getting what I deserved.
    I can live with that…for a short while…

From what I can gather, Dennis, you don’t do much more than feed the ducks. How the hell do you break both your feeet in that strenuous an endeavor? Gladiators injure themselves less than you.

I hope he doesn’t injure his elbow hoisting his favorite beverage.

• I don’t have a fucking clue. It doesn’t making any sense. Curse of the Mallard Club? I only got 86’d outta there once. I lost my keys there late one night during a big brouhaha. Not my fault, I think. When I returned the next morning, next afternoon that is when I awoke, I asked the bartender if he had seen my keys. He handed me my pool cue (not a Balabushka, but a nice stick nonetheless) and told me to get the fuck out and never return again. Pourquoi? I guess John Williams was on the jukebox, and I went nuts. *allegedly*

He said I was swinging that pool cue like I was Luke Skywalker with a fucking lightsaber. Bartender said there was some friendly fire and I “allegedly” injured some female Ewoks in a drunken stupor.

But that’s not the funny part. After the bartender continued to scold me for minutes on end telling me what an asshole and shit-kicker I was. I stood there stoically listening to him fully lambaste me until the cows came home. When he was finally finished, I looked him in the eyes and said.

Can I have another drink? : )

Does DMD get a pass for not spelling out the “N” word in his racial insult rants? Or is “worthless POS N” code for All Pro? Vernon gets the N word insult, but Boone’s holding out too, yet not a DMD peep for Boone. Bullshit…

• Boone’s my favorite Niner. #75 holding out makes him a honky white POS trash. Happy now? I insult every race, creed and color. I hate anyone who’s an asshole. But in a loving and warmth way.

Just like “Mr. Warmth” himself, Don Rickles. Did you see the other comedians salute him the other night on Spike TV? Marty and Bob came him a good ole one-two punch…

Just remember Del,
    Hoveround takes you where you want to go…..
    As long as driving a car isn’t in your plans,

Just read that Vernon forfeited $200k to not be at the 49ers’ OTAs. Because he’s tight-lipped about his no-show, I’m left to assume one of two things: He either had a chance to make more than $200k at the same time OTAs were going on (commercials, real estate…. who knows what else?), or he’s just unhappy with his deal. It honestly could be the former, but it’s doubtful.

Vernon still has two years left on his deal, and both Vernon and his agent know that holding out is stupid. Vernon and his agent know the 49ers have other players who are priorities, they saw how the 49ers paid T Brown $300,000 when he was due $2 million, and Vernon and his agent know Vernon’s now older with his best years behind him. In additon, they both know the the 49ers are strapped for cash. All of that together probably means Vernon won’t get paid beyond his contract, and he probably just lost out on $200,000.

It’s funny, though, that Vernon didn’t say anything until after the draft. That leads me to believe he’s looking to hold out. If Vernon had made his plans known before the draft, the 49ers would have just drafted another TE.

In very related news….. In 2014, the 49ers’ run defense is going to be soft. Justin Smith is in his last year. Bowman, who I think is the 49ers’ heart and soul, and definitely the defensive leader over Willis, will be out most of the season. Glenn Dorsey doesn’t have a backup. Ian Williams stinks. Goldson and Whitner are gone. Reid has concussions issues so big hits from him won’t be smart, or expected. So what the 49ers are now saying is…. “Go ahead and run on us. You better be able to score 35pts with your run game because Kaep with Johnson, Cratbree, Patton, Hyde, McDonald, Ellington, Boldin and Hunter are gonna score on you…. a lot.” This is why Harbaugh just said to the media he’s expecting more out of Kaep – because Harbaugh and Baalke are letting their run defense slide.

Holdout or not, Vernon recognizes he’s apart of this equation. Whether he’s using that leverage now or not, I don’t know… I’d obvious with Vernon in the game, the 49ers’ run defense can be soft and the 49ers can blow teams out. That’s easy to see. Kaep will answer the bell. Anyone remember the Green Bay game in week 1 last year? Kaep can light you up in the passing game. And I have no doubt he’ll be able to do it all season long in 2014 provided he’s got the weapons. The question becomes if Vernon’s planning on holding out, can Kaep and Harbaugh dominate enough on the offensive side of the ball WITHOUT VERNON to a point where our soft run defense doesn’t cost us wins? Personally, I think even if Vance McDonald stinks, Kaep and company will ride without Vernon so the answer’s yes. If I was Baalke, I’d tell ole “Click, Clack,” to hit the bricks. Unless of course Vernon was out doing other things…. like painting Serena Williams’ bust (and not that bust…. that bust). I’d pay $200k to see those bad boys, and my sources tell me Vernon’s seen ‘em.

The bigger question becomes, who steps up to stretch the field, if in fact, Vernon decides to play hardball and takes the fine hits when Camp becomes mandatory?

Not much to fret at this point IMO.
      I think Crabtree and Iupati will both be allowed to play the FA mkt next year too.
      Right now it’s all about working the numbers for Kaep.

Once that’s hammered out, the rest can be addressed.
      All this is media fodder, especially with Boone and Vernon already under deals that are 2 years from being completed.

Vernon ticks me off more than Boone does at this point.
        Boone IS underpaid.

Vernon took a hefty payout when his rookie deal was redone.
        These Agents know where the money is going and want to get their share before it’s all accounted for.

Get in line.
        You have no leverage with deals that are already in place.

This why I think Iupati had his chance at the early offer.
        Once he balked, Paraag and Baalke went to Plan B.
        Draft for his replacement.
        Same with Crabtree.
        Welcome Stevie.
        Want a chance to get paid?
        Out perform Crabtree this year.

Both Iupati and Crabtree are great options for Comp Picks.

Yeah, I don;t see any good reason for VD to get pissy now. He’s coming off as a guy who’s either ungrateful, or wants out. He got a big deal in 2010 based on hope and yeah, he played well, but this is too soon.

Tell you one thing Chuck, I’ve never begrudged any NFL player the chance to get paid.
      The game is demanding, the risks are high.

It just ticks me off when guys like Revis constantly feel that their deals are never good enough.
      The new CBA was likely hammered out by ownership with Revis in mind.
      Once you sign a Contract, be thankful and work to earn your next one.
      52 other guys need to share the pot or, you don’t have a balanced team.

I wish I saw all those zeroes on my paycheck, like these guys have the chance to see.

It doesn’t piss me off at all when a guy holds out. I just look at it like it’s either smart or stupid. I loved that Carlos Rogers told the 49ers to take a hike when they asked him to take a pay cut. Loved it. The only thing that matters to me is whether or not the player or the team has the leverage? Vernon and his agent either thought Vernon could make more money else where (commercials, endorsements, etc) , or Vernon actually thinks he has enough leverage to move the 49ers into a position where they have to pay him more. I hope for Vernon’s sake he missed OTAs because he had an opportunity to make more money else where because if Vernon thinks he’s the leveraged entity in this situation, he’s badly mistaken. This off season alone the 49ers acquired Ellington, Stevie Johnson, Hyde and Brandon Lloyd. Patton, Crabtree and maybe even Lattimore are healthy. Boldin is re-signed. Stupid time to holdout.

What I don’t understand is why players don’t holdout mid-season. Why not? Like last year…. when Crabtree was down, the offense was Frank, Boldin and Vernon…. that’s when you hold out. And it’s not like the 49ers could draft someone and it’s unlikely they’d trade for a TE mid season. And really, a lost game or two last year because we had no offense and Arizona could have knocked us out of the playoffs. That’s when Vernon would have had the leverage. Sure, the fans would hate him. But this shit’s chess, it ain’t checkers. If you holdout in the NFL you better be damn sure you have the leverage, and a lot of it, and you also better be able to whether the public scrutiny during and after. But nobody’s accusing NFL players of being smart. I honestly can’t think of a smart one. Harris Barton lost his investors millions.

• Spitblood says:

weather

Spit in this game, you’re either seeking a Ring or you’re screwing your team with these antics.
        I know the players are represented by Agents.
        All the nonsense they experienced with Crabtree at the start was ochestrated by Eugene Parker.
        What we’ve gotten from Crabtree since has been a succession of missed Camps and foot ailments of one sort or another.

For me, he’s been money since Kaep took over but……
        I can’t see them over extending their Cap resources on him next year.

Granted, these NFL Contracts aren’t guaranteed so, sure, get what you can when you can.
        It’s just counter-productive to sign deals and not see them through.

There’s a reason Revis and Keyshawn got the reps they did in NY.
        Mevis and Meshawn are prime reasons for the new CBA.
        No one held a gun to any players’ head when the deals they accepted got signed.

Once you’re under Contract, they own you.
        Owners figure it this way-
        Want to protest?
        Go ahead, hold out.
        We’ll fine your A$$ off and recoup the dollars you apparently don’t want.

Personally I wouldn’t expect Vernon or Boone to hold out once the mandatory Camp opens for that very reason.
        Too expensive and, as you say, they have ZERO leverage.
        Equates to lose/lose no matter how you view it.

The rookie Cap was implemented for 2 reasons.
        Keep teams protected from Draft busts and, have that money available to pay proven commodities that deserve to have it.

We happen to be faced with securing the most expensive position right now at QB.

BLEEP!

Voluntary camp = losing $200,000?
    Sounds like the Officer standing in front of his troops ” OK I need 3 volunteers, you, you and you.”

Well, that’s the rub. VD got a monster deal back in 2010. For hope, mainly. Now he wants to rework his front-loaded deal cuz folks are getting more?

Sorry, no. As we’ve all said, he has little leverage this far away from the end of the deal. He holds out, he’s screwed. He just loses his place in the hierarchy. Can VMcD pick up his slack? Probably not, but we have other options now. They’ll move on without him.

And, in fairly unsurprising news, Jonaathan Goodwin reu-pped with the Saints.

Matt Barrows of Sac Bee reports last Friday, an OTA day, seeing VD at his Jamba Juice franchise in the South Bay filming a commercial…

• Spitblood says:

If it’s HIS Jamba Juice that commercial would cost him money, not make him immediate money. Now the return on his investment for money made off the commercial is questionable. But with the Niners the money was certain. Setting up a crew to cut a commercial was planned far in advance. I think Vernon’s holding out – and I think he’s a fool to try.

Yeah, reading that article, it sure looks like the Disease is going to hold out.

Click clack roight out the door, motherfucker. The Niners should think about trading him to Cleveland. How about Josh Gordon and a pound of some fine simsimilla?

I don’t begrugde anyone making money. But VD’s MADE a boatload with us. He’s the 2nd highest paid TE in the league. Maybe 3rd. Not sure what Billy Graham is getting from NO but it’s right about the $7 mill mark as well.

The reason I get pissed is directly related to how it affects our chance to win the Super Bowl this season. If VD wants to shit on the hand that feeds him, so be it. I would trade the fucker right now. How does TB sound, click clack? Josh McCown? Kafka? You’ll metamorphose into a run-of -the-mill 2nd tier TE. Just like your future teammate Dashon Goldson went from one of the top FS’s in the league to a heavilly fined afterthought. From glory to ignominy. Welcome to the club. Here’s your sign.

• Spitblood says:

You can’t be pissed at Vernon. The game outside the lines is just as important as the game inside the lines for teams with Super Bowl aspirations. That’s why I hated Singletary and McCloughan so much. They had no clue how to play the game outside the lines. Baalke’s drafts might now be looking more and more questionable (at least to me), but Baalke and Harbaugh can play the game outside the lines (see the Harbaugh interview after the Browns story came out).

If I had to bet, I’m thinking Vernon just thought to himself…. ” $200k is nice but I have other business to take care of to help phase myself out of the game and into professional life after the NFL.” I’m betting Vernon doesn’t holdout. It just doesn’t make sense. He has zero leverage.

That’s my point, Spitty. He can fuck around all he wants on his dime. He fucks with the team, I get bent. If I’m Jed, I’m thinking, this is how he repays me? I gave him a fat deal based on promise. Now he’s greedy? Here’s your ticket to Tampa, click clack.

IF he misses the mandatories.

• Spitblood says:

I think you might be overreacting which is downright comical coming from me; however, I jumped ship in Hong Kong…. made my way over to Tibet.

Vernon isn’t holding out. Add it up. If Vernon was holding out, he’d be using this time to talk and politic. In addition, Vernon is getting older. The older players get, the more they need to rest their bodies. Vernon was also working on a commercial and he has no leverage. Put it all together and quit hatin’ on him.

I see an upside to this situation too.
        More time for Kaep to work with VMcD and others.

Vernon’s value is blinding speed and excellent blocking ability.
        He qualifies as a Freak.
        Not a pure pass catcher but, he’s improved since he arrived.

VMcD needs the chance to get familiar with the routes anyway.
        He won’t get confused with the blinding speed portion of the equation.
        Reminds me a lot of Brent Jones.
        Clumsy, awkward maybe but, he had excellent success at Rice as a WR.

Suggests to me that his hands are probably better than VD’s.

I don;t know about that. The knock with him at Rice was his hands. The dropsies.

I’m sure this is all noise, but it’s just more unneccessary thrash coming out of the building. There seems to be a lot of that this year.

BLEEP DROPSIES!