Pea Shooter Finds a New Hom(i)e

The Washington Redskins further solidified their place among the elite teams in the league by signing Colt McCoy, the backup of all backups. And best friend/confidante of recently signed DeSean Jackson. Well, not really. They couldn’t be any different. McCoy was born in the wastelands of an east New Mexico border town, and went to high school in a Texas town with 715 poeple and was a Longhorn. DSJ of course is from the mean streets of LA, went to high school in Long Beach, and went to college at Cal Oakland. I’m sure they’ll hit it off magnificently. If not ever speak to each other.

Anyhow, teams like the Eagles recently used the ‘gang ties’ angle to dump their malcontented WR among other myriad problems he posed. Mainly that he was resistant to following team rules, could be percieved as a bad influence on younger players,  and never seemed to be satisfied with his current contract. Being that the Eagles could have dumped him anyway, citing issues with new head coach Chip Kelly, the Eagles decided to go one step further and call his supposed ties to the Crips gang as a reason to dump him after his best season in the pros.

Problem is, any kid coming out of any big city would fall under this tenuous connection. The lilly-white law-abiding owners (hello Bob Irsay) are aghast at any possible players sullying their clean sport with possible ties to illicit activities (except for manslaughter, gambling, rape, battery, felony DUI,  assault, domestic abuse, sexual harassment, illegal weapons hoarding and usage, and the like) so you can understand their reticence to draft certain players. I mean, unless they are really good.

So, let’s hear it for Dan Snyder (insert raaspberry here), the obviously good-hearted owner who is taking a huge chance by risking the reputation of the honored Redskin name in taking a chance on the troubled young star WR.

About these ads

100 Responses to Pea Shooter Finds a New Hom(i)e

Redskins suck. Bob Irsay sucks. Black helicopters suck. Wall Street sucks. Our politicians suck. You know what doesn’t suck? My golf game. I’m the bee’s knees.

On a more serious note…. CJ2K wouldn’t be a bad addition to the 49ers if he came dirty cheap. I don’t advocate a bidding war AT ALL. But if he garners little interest on the free agent market, 1 million for one year would be great. I think he still has something left in the tank.

Still wearing those Payne Stewart pedal pushers?

RB ain’t the problem at this point. If they pick up/trade for anything in the remaining time, it’ll be CB or WR. In that order.

• sandy32koufax says:

Well, spit, then you’re a scratch guy…scratch my balls? j/k. Johnson, really? I’m not seeing it. I’ve said this since January…9ers need to find a replacement for Bowman-in case he’s a toastio and a speedy hands guy at WR. Of course, since they’re short on reliable DBs now, they need to address that too.

Yeah, I agree. RB is a few pegs down the list of things the Niners need.

They’ll draft someone. BUt it’ll be in the 5th round or later.

What I find interesting is the Riley Cooper gets re-upped after cracker rehab. DSJ is the villian without a crime.

Well, being that Frank Gore is sixty-two and three years from collecting social security checks, and being that Marcus Lattimore still walks around the practice facility with a noticeable limp (according to the very reputable Grant Cohn who I have every faith in regarding his objectivity and overall football knowledge), and being that we lost Anthony Dixon, and being that Harbaugh is now addicted to older players even though he went to the NFC Championship game in his first year with rookies starting, and being that apparently there’s no other running back in the NFL who can pass protect except Gore, it makes sense to me that if we can get a veteran running back at an incredibly low price the 49ers might jump at the chance. However, I also know Kaep’s contract is going to take a lot of “space” and then there’s the rookies.

Sandy – “Correct me if I’m wrong, Sandy, but if we kill all the scratch golfers (outta spite) they’re gonna lock me up and trow away da key. Not golfers, GOLFERS!!!” … I wish I was a scratch golfer. I’m about a 10 handicap. The key to my game is the tee box. If I can draw the ball out of the box, the competition’s in for a world of hurt. If I can’t, there’s gonna be some cussing – and maybe some club throwing…. which I’m ashamed of. In the immortal words of the goalie from Slapshot…. “You feel shame.” But one way or another, it’s gonna be fun.

5. sandy32koufax says:

Yes, I see rookies OR a stud blocking RB vet but not CJ. He has something left in the tank all right just don’t believe he’ll go as low as 1M when he has other teams looking so closely at him right now.

I’m sporting a 14.7 hdp but I agree…killemall! I am the worst person you will ever watch on the greens.

• Spitblood says:

Sandy – I’d prefer rookie running backs over CJ2K. And I agree, there’s going to be interest from other teams. But stranger things have happened. Jesus told Reggie White to go play for the Packers in Wisconsin. Jesus is still laughing about that one. “…and Reggie lived in that shit hole for 3 years!! Lmao. His wife prayed to me every night that he’d demand a trade. I didn’t create Wisconsin until the 8th day….. RELUCTANTLY!!! ”

When I was a kid, I was awesome around the greens. My touch is starting to come back, but one thing I’ve done is made a conscious effort to attack holes (good philosophy in general). If you watch the old pros on the Golf Channel, back in the day the greens were longer and they were as aggressive as all get out. I’m never short. I may have a four foot knee-knocker coming back that I can turn into a three putt if I’m not careful, but I attack, attack, attack. “I don’t want to hear that we’re holding our position. We’re not holding anything…. We’re gonna go through ‘em like crap through a goose!” When I’m around the greens, I put my helmet on and it’s war.

Shit, I’m good out of the box, and good on the greens. It’s the shit in between that kills me. I can’t hit a fairway wood to save my life, and my short game is worse. It’s better for my mental health (and my back) if I just avoid the whole thing.

• sandy32koufax says:

I had that plague me for a while too, the fairway wood thing. The guy at Castlewood had me hit balls out high grass with my 2 and 4 woods for a week…you get over the entire “not seeing the ball” thing trying to hit out from 3-4 inches of tall grass. Or you screw your back up completely.

They have Miller back so I don’t think they go FB. And Demarcus Dobbs. They’ll take a flier on someone late. A bruiser type. These guys are consistent if anything. They like big tweener corners, big WRs, and big RBs.

Where’s CJ2K going? Possible suitors help realize demand. The Cardinals in the NFC West are a real possibility after Mendenhall retired. The New York Giants need a running back. David Wilson is soft. The Saints? The Falcons? Dimitroff had to learn from the mistake of bringing in Jackson. The Broncos? The Broncos have to be right up against their cap. The Colts lost Donald Brown and Richardson is a huge question mark. Advantage Lombardi who needs all the advantage he can get. The Texans lost Tate. The Jets? Rex always needs a running back, or seven. If the Ravens pick up CJ, Ray Rice’s wife better hide in the closet for a week or two. Or get a sparing partner and work on her side step. Granted, all of these teams could draft a running back, but with so many teams needing CJ2k, it’s doubtful Baalke picks him up for a song. Very doubtful. Nevermind.

I don’t know cap space situations right off, but I say the best landing place for CJ2k is Arizona. And let me tell you one more thing….. Arizona could win the NFC West this year. You heard it here first. I was the one who told you last year they’d beat out the Rams and contend with Seattle and SF for the division. I’m the one telling you this year the Cardinals may very well win the NFC West. If Frank Gore gets more than 60 or 70% of the carries, the Cardinals will end the year with a better record. One way or the other, Arians will fill the void left by Mendenhall.

With a great year running the ball, and going over 1200 yards in 2014, Frank Gore could propel himself all the way to 18th overall in total rushing yards behind OJ Simpson. I don’t think Frank’s going to get 1200 in 2014, and all Harbaugh hyperbole aside, Frank’s career in SF is looking bleak after 2014, especially if Lattimore’s trick knee don’t do tricks.

Frank Gore’s not going to the Hall of Fame. The Bus is the 6th overall, all time leading NFL rusher, and he was denied HOF entrance lately. Frank at 18th (if he gets there) would have to win Super Bowl(s), or do something heroic in a Super Bowl, while also having at least two more years of 1200 yards to even be in the conversation. But he’s been a good warrior. No doubt. A personal favorite during the Nolan years. I’ll try to enjoy his last year even if he costs us a serious run at the ring. No promises, though. Haters gonna hate.

10. “Pete Carroll to get contract extension: What it means for Jim Harbaugh, 49ers” (Niners Nation)

Yeah IF we win a SB soon this might be relevant. Carroll to top 3 in HC salaries it sez here

I’m sure Carroll will get ~$8.5 mill a year. He’s already in the top 4 at $7 miill. $8 mill is the highest salary. Sean Payton. Only Andy Reid at $7.5 mill doesn’t have a ring in the top 4 coaches. Regardless of what happens with Harbaugh, he will get ~$8 mill. Unless he wins it all. Then he may go up to $9 mill.

I think Harbaugh gets a deal this year – around the same time Kaep gets his new deal. It wouldn’t surprise me if Harbaugh got paid more than Pete.

• Harbaugh get paid more than Pete? That’s right up this Mickey Mouse organization’s alley. Pay a coach who loses Super Bowls and all of his big games more than a coach who actually wins them.

Distorted Thinking at its finest.

• Spitblood says:

When the eyes of distorted thinking claim distorted thinking, the rest of us are seeing reality. The reality is, unlike Seattle and Pete, the 49ers need Harbaugh more than Harbaugh needs the 49ers. If Harbaugh wants to be paid more than Pete, Harbaugh will be paid more than Pete. Question is what Harbaugh wants, and nobody ever seems to know that. Why is Harbaugh more crucial to the 49ers than Pete is to the Seahawks? Easy. Paul Allen is a far more competent business owner and would find a replacement. Allen’s track record is Holmgren, Mora and Carroll, which ain’t shabby but I’m not certain Allen was an owner when Holmgren was there. Could be. Either way, compare that to the Yorks’ Erickson, Nolan, Singletary and Harbaugh. Harbaugh’s an outlier, not an average. And Jed York didn’t build Microsoft. However, he is micro…. “soft.” If Carroll left, Paul Allen would find another great coach. If Harbaugh left, the Yorks would find Jim Tomsula and in two years this organization would be at the very bottom of the NFC where it was with Erickson and Singletary. But Harbaugh might not want more money than Pete. I could see Harbaugh wanting more say about keeping veterans. And this would suck.

• Lol good answer Spit. It’s a pity yer preaching to the faithless here

Also, it’s not like Harbaugh was coaching in Ohio. He was in Jed’s backyard, at Stanford. And Bill Walsh had recruited Harbaugh. It’s not like Jed could have gotten any luckier. Harbaugh’s hire wasn’t a York coup. Harbaugh landed in their lap. Al Davis gave Harbaugh a start in coaching. San Diego came calling. Walsh liked what he saw. Recruited him to Stanford. Harbaugh won an Orange Bowl. He then wanted to go compete for Super Bowls. Jed and John York had nothing to do with this process. But they were lucky as hell to have Harbaugh land in their lap. The only reason Harbaugh came to SF was because he didn’t have to move his family, SF is a great place to live (beats Wisconsin), and the 49ers had years of talent stock-piled on their roster because of incompetent coaching that was mostly Jed York’s fault for hiring in the first place. Jed got Harbaugh in spite of himself. Harbaugh’s an outlier while Carrol’s an average.

I’m not sure about Harbaugh. I think HE wants to hedge his bet as well. This is his year to get the brass ring. He does, he cashes in. He doesn’t, he still cashes in. Just not as much.

In the grand scheme of things, Kappy is the priority now.

Harbaugh and Ballke had a history. Baalke was hired as GM on the contingency that he would deliver Harbaugh to York.

• Spitblood says:

That doesn’t help Jed’s case…. even if it’s true, which seems flimsy. The facts still are that the team was loaded with talent, Harbaugh didn’t have to move, and that SF is hard to beat regarding NFL cities to live in. I don’t give Jed credit for landing Harbaugh. Well… maybe I give him credit for not fucking it up. But Jed still has potential to fuck it up. There’s no reason to wait to give Harbaugh a new contract. It took SF two days to give Fangio a new contract. It’s not like a new contract for Harbaugh would take huge resources away from the Kaep negotiations. I could do both, today.

I’d start by offering Jim Carroll money for five years. If he wants more, I’d give it to him for reasons above. The only place where I’d have trouble is if Jim wanted more control over veterans. But I’d work it that if Jim won a Super Bowl with guys like Gore when there’s been a divide reported – “I don’t care what the front office wants. I’ll fight to bring everyone back,” he had more say. I’ve give him more control for two years with veterans and if he didn’t win a Super Bowl, then he had little or no say. I could have that deal done in two days. And if the issue is money, and that’s holding this contract back, Jed York is a fool.

This is what you’re missing, Chuck. There’s little connection between Harbaugh’s 2014 season and his next contract. The results don’t dictate the new contact. What dictates the new contract is demand for Harbaugh’s services. There is no Salary Cap for coaches, and no franchise tag. The closer Harbaugh gets to free agency, regardless what happens in the 2014 season, the more expensive Harbaugh gets – and the more drama and turmoil the 49er organization is forced to go through, needlessly.

16. Dog meet days. These are your days. All yours. Days this is dog. Your dog. Quiet as a mouse in Church while we await further developments re: 9ERS.

Here summer is here on schedule. HOT. Dry. Quiet, too quiet. Dog days but just for another month

Big news out your way about the new peace agreement Phil. Make any difference to you? I think you said you were a bit out of the way of all that.

• It remains to be seen 12 what the effect will be overall down there. For us not so much as our area is always quiet. Good to get it done and hopefully the situation improves. It would help from a PR point of view at least

Spit -
    With the departure of Boobie Dixon, I’d be very satisified to see Baalke replace him with your guy from LSU, JC Copeland.

I haven’t devoted much attention to the FB position, especially with the extension of Bruce but, Copeland does something Boobie never did, hit the hole with authority, whether there was an opposing jersey number standing in it, or not.

Copeland is a bruiser.
    And, he doesn’t hesitate to deliver a blow.

Would love to see hanging around after the 4th RD.

A new Harbaughism is that Gore has 3 years left, sure he does. If that’s the case why does he not have a new extension instead of playing out his final year? Hard to believe much he says when it comes to his players, he is worse than Chuckie, every player is awesome.

Actually I find it hard to believe much of anything he says, strikes me as he always has another motive and agenda for just about everything he says and he hides behind his carefully crafted words.

I figure they take a RB as insurance, not sure they take a FB considering they just signed Miller but maybe for depth. They have used other position players as FB in the past though.

If, and it’s a big if, Lattimore is back to form the Niners are in great shape and even without him they have capable starters in Gore and Hunter. I expected Hampton to displace Boobie 2 years in a row so I guess he gets his shot at the title this TC.

I was excited when they took LMJ and disappointed that the scheme has not added enough wrinkles to see what he can do. Could be he just isn’t very good but I doubt it. He is in a power running scheme that does little to nothing to give him an opportunity.

That’s sort of the way I see LMJ too 12th.
        Is it him or the scheme?

Thought he’d be an edge-killer for us because of his abilities in the open field.

Could it be as simple as lacking in the blitz pickup duties I wonder?

I’m good with Bruce too 12th.
        What I’d like to see is a late RD short yardage back, ala JC perhaps, that can be counted on for that tough duty yard or 2.

Nothing I’d spend an early RD pick on but, I’d like to see someone more reliable than Boobie in that role.

I’ve said that all along, Spitty. That the closer we get to harbaugh’s departure without a contract, the higher the price will go. I’m not so sure now, because iIf anyone is dragging this out now, it’d be Harbaugh. Harbaugh knows (or maybe he wants the pressure of) this is the last year of his current contract. He wants to win in now to be in the driver’s seat going into a new deal.

We can all say what we want, but no one knows what is happening behind the scenes.

Harbaugh talking up his players in soothing new,12th. And really, the only reason to rework Gore’s deal is to get a more cap friendly deal this year w/ no guarantees for the future. Simple stuff. If gore doesn’t want to do it then adios Frank. We certainly won’t sign him next year.

The point I was making wasn’t about Gore, that is a done deal. It was about how untruthful Harbaugh is with the public, yet when he says something some fans agree with it is gospel truth. Speaking for myself I don’t trust anything the man says.

12th Harbaugh is the king of disinformation.
      All rah-rah and doublespeak.
      Talks without saying anything, while backing up his players.

He is more entertaining then the Hoodie at least.

I go the same way with him.

Sure Jim, whatever.
      Just win the Lombardi.

I don’t think Harbaugh is holding up the deal. I think Jed York is afraid to create a new precedent for head coaching pay. I think Jed would be afraid to face the owners after he paid Harbaugh a couple of million more than Carroll. Like I wrote earlier, Jed needs Harbaugh more than Allen needs Carroll.

Just read that Manziel is headed for a two day interview with McKenzie and the Raiders. I love what McKenzie’s been doing with the Raider organization. I like how he gutted the team, and I even love the free agents he brought in (and I don’t like free agents). In affect, McKenzie dumped old, expensive malcontents like Tommy Kelly and replaced them with has-been winners to change the culture in Oakland. And after the damage Al Davis did to that organization, it’ll take years and years of great effort by players, coaches and front office to change that culture. No good head coach who’s capable of changing that culture wants to head coach in Oakland, so McKenzie had to hire a young coach and he had to dump the malcontents, and I love McKenzie bringing in all the older, free agent Super Bowl winners/ contenders. I mean, how the hell do you change an Al Davis culture? That’s like getting into a ’78 Cadillac that Al Davis drove for 30 years and trying to change the smell. Impossible. McKenzie’s doing the best job I can see anyone doing considering the circumstances. He was also saddled with the Carson Palmer trade that left him without draft picks for two years.

However, all that good Spitblood love would head right down the shitter if McKenzie drafted Johnny Manziel. I get it. Manziel’s Kenny Stabler, and Stabler is loved by all things Raiders. But the most important part of changing that culture is discipline. Not jumping off sides. Throwing the ball away. No turnovers. Playing when you’re hurt. Not giving the game away when the pressure’s on. That’s how Allen and McKenzie need to change that culture in Oakland. McGloin (sp?) was perfect. Vanilla. Game manager. No Terrell Pryor, no Johnny Manziel. Matt Schaub as a stop gap and then find another more talented game manger behind Schaub – that’s the combo. But you bring in Johnny Manziel and forget all the good work and good will McKenzie and Allen have created over the last two years. All that goes right down the shitter. Changing a culture is an identity – a mind set. Justin Tuck has it. MJD has it. Rogers and Brown have it. Johnny Manziel destroys all of that. However, McKenzie could be posturing so I’m not going to start hating on him yet. He may have learned a thing or two from Harbaugh.

• The only thing anyone can learn from Harbaugh is how to be the world’s biggest self-important pious prick who’s lost and wiill continue to lose every big game he’s ever been in.

If I were put in charge of the Niners I would trade Kap to the Texans for the first overall pick and draft Johnny Football just to make your life miserable.

• Spitblood says:

If I was put in charge of the Niners I’d trade Frank Gore to the Jets for Mike Vick. Then I’d have a Mike Vick fan appreciate day at the Stick – complete with PETA and all the dog owners from all over the Bay Area. I’d be a love fest of Mike Vick redemption. Then, after the event was over, Mike and I would go back to the empty field and I’d film Mike kicking a small dog through the uprights and find a way to make the video self destruct after the viewer opened it – then I’d email you the video so your head would explode.

• He did win the Orange Bowl, a fairly big game college-wise, unbeliever.

Spit I’d agree with everything you cite about Reggie going for the culture change.

The only fly in that ointment is, Bucky Larsen in the Owners role.
      He’s got to be patient and stay out of the process.

This isn’t going to happen in a year or 2.

Run DMc is another piece of that puzzle that needs to man up too.
      Somewhere along the way, he forgot to realize that, the NFL plays a longer schedule than College.
      If MJD doesn’t get into his head about how little guys like himself can be mentally tough in order to be physically tough, Run DMc is going bye-bye too.

McKenzie has this year to turn it around and have a winning record or Al Jr will fire him.

I want Bill Walsh back, e.g.:
    “We’ll be drafting for depth. We’re not looking at skill positions this year; next year there’s a good bunch.”

Then go draft Jerry Rice or John Taylor…

22. philippinefan says:

Good point RT Walsh was another of those coaches you couldn’t take at face value. He would say anything to get an edge just like Jimi. It’s just Jimi is a bit more ‘in yer face’ and that rubs some of us the wrong way. Plus he’s more rah-rah with his guys and probably wouldn’t be able to pull off the GM role as BW did. But I don’t expect anything more from him (just a Lombardi or three NJ). He’s a football coach after all.

23. philippinefan says:

Fact is in the last 4 seasons- to repeat the history- Hendrix has won the Orange Bowl (Pac-12?), 2 NFC West titles and a NFC Championship. This after leading San Diego to consecutive Pioneer League championships in 2005 and 2006. But these obvious factual statements will do nothing to persuade those of anythig who have lost their religion. Much less that we could possibly expect good things from him and his team in the future. No you see he’s never won anything. Never won nothin’, never will. That’s gospel. The gospel of despair from our pet atheist.

24. Boring Dog Daze? Here’s the fix compliments of Wikipedia: Jimi’s coaching career to date. How did the feud with Pete get started?

University of San Diego (2004–2006)

Prior to the 2004 season, Harbaugh was named head football coach at the University of San Diego. In his first year, he directed the Toreros to an overall mark of 7–4, including 5 straight wins to end the season. The following year, the team improved to 11–1 and won the 2005 Pioneer Football League Championship. In 2006, USD again went 11–1 winning their second consecutive Pioneer League title in the process.

Stanford University (2007–2010)

Harbaugh was named the head football coach at Stanford University in December 2006, replacing Walt Harris. Harbaugh’s father, Jack, was Stanford’s defensive coordinator from 1980–1981, while Harbaugh attended Palo Alto High School, located directly across the street from Stanford Stadium.

Harbaugh stirred some intra-conference controversy in March 2007, when he was quoted as saying rival USC head coach “Pete Carroll’s only got one more year, though. He’ll be there one more year. That’s what I’ve heard. I heard it inside the staff.” Upon further questions, Harbaugh claimed he had heard it from staff at USC. The comment caused a rebuke from Carroll. (In fact, Carroll would be at USC for three more years.) At the Pacific-10 Conference media day on July 26, 2007, Harbaugh praised the Trojans, stating “There is no question in my mind that USC is the best team in the country and may be the best team in the history of college football.” The declaration, especially in light of his earlier comment, garnered more media attention. Later in the season, Stanford defeated #1 USC 24–23 with a touchdown in the final minute. With USC being the favorite by 41 points, it was statistically the greatest upset in college football history. Although Stanford lost to USC in 2008, Harbaugh and the Stanford Cardinal upset USC at home again with a score of 55–21 on November 14, 2009. Stanford’s 55 points was the most ever scored on USC in the Trojans’ history until Oregon scored 62 in a 62-51 win over USC on November 3, 2012. It was Pete Carroll’s first November loss as USC head coach. Harbaugh has never lost in USC’s home stadium, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

In January 2009, Harbaugh was confirmed to have been interviewed by the New York Jets for the head coach position, although the job was eventually offered to Rex Ryan.

In 2009, the Cardinal had a comeback season, finishing the regular season at 8–4, finishing #21 in the polls, and receiving an invitation to play in the 2009 Sun Bowl, the Cardinal’s first bowl appearance since 2001. Running back Toby Gerhart was named a Heisman Trophy finalist, finishing second to Mark Ingram in the closest margin of voting in Heisman history. On December 13, 2009, Harbaugh was rewarded with a three-year contract extension through the 2014 season.

The 2010 season brought more success for Harbaugh and the Cardinal. The team went 11–1 in the regular season, with their only loss coming from Oregon, a team that was undefeated and earned a berth in the BCS National Championship Game. The first 11 win season in program history earned the Cardinal a #4 BCS ranking and a BCS bowl invitation to the Orange Bowl. Stanford defeated Virginia Tech 40–12 for the Cardinal’s first bowl win since 1996 and the first BCS bowl victory in program history. Second year starting quarterback Andrew Luck was the runner-up to for the Heisman Trophy, the second year in a row that the runner-up was from Stanford. Harbaugh was named the winner of the Woody Hayes Coach of the Year Award.

San Francisco 49ers (2011–present)

On January 7, 2011, four days after winning the Orange Bowl, Harbaugh agreed to a 5-year, $25 million contract to become the next head coach for the San Francisco 49ers. He succeeded Jim Tomsula, who was interim head coach for only the last game of the preceding season after succeeding the fired Mike Singletary. Though the 49ers were expected to struggle in what was anticipated to be a rebuilding season, with a new scheme and many new players as well as shortened summer practices due to the lockout, Harbaugh led the team to a 13–3 record in the regular season, winning the NFC West division while finishing second overall in the NFC and bringing the team to the NFC Championship Game. This was the first time the 49ers had made the playoffs since the 2002 NFL season, generating widespread praise. On November 24, Harbaugh played his brother John and the Baltimore Ravens, losing the Thanksgiving showdown 16–6. John and Jim Harbaugh are the first pair of brothers to serve as NFL head coaches in the same season.

Harbaugh’s work in San Francisco had resulted in an extremely successful season, revitalizing the career of quarterback Alex Smith and with defensive coordinator Vic Fangio creating one of the leading defensive squads of the 2011–2012 season. The 49ers’ season ended with a 20–17 loss in overtime to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship game. At the conclusion of the season, Harbaugh was named the AP NFL Coach of the Year.

In the 2012 season, Harbaugh resolved a quarterback controversy by replacing incumbent starter Alex Smith with backup Colin Kaepernick. Smith was ranked third in the NFL in passer rating (104.1), led the league in completion percentage (70%), and had been 19–5–1 as a starter under Harbaugh, while Kaepernick was considered more dynamic with his scrambling ability and arm strength. Smith began 2012 with a 6–2 record as a starter before suffering a concussion in the following game. He missed the following game, and Kaepernick was 16 for 23 for 243 yards with two touchdowns in a 32–7 win over Chicago. Harbaugh was impressed with Kaepernick, and said “we have two quarterbacks that have a hot hand” while dismissing any rule that a player should not lose their starting job due to an injury. Smith was medically cleared to play the day before the next game, but Harbaugh chose not to rush him back and again started Kaepernick, who threw and ran for a touchdown in a 31–21 win over New Orleans. The following week, Harbaugh announced that Kaepernick would start for the 8–2–1 49ers, while also stating that the assignment was week-to-week and not necessarily permanent. However, Kaepernick remained the starter as the 49ers again qualified for the playoffs.

Harbaugh led the team to a 11-4-1 record in the regular season, winning back to back NFC West titles. Harbaugh’s quarterback decision was on display in the first game of the playoffs.[82] The 49ers won 45–31 over the Green Bay Packers, as Kaepernick had 444 yards of total offense (263 passing, 181 rushing) and four touchdowns. Kaepernick set the record for rushing yards by a quarterback in any NFL game with his 181-yard outburst against Green Bay. On January 20 at the NFC Championship Game, Harbaugh led the 49ers to a 28-24 win over the Atlanta Falcons, which sent the 49ers to Super Bowl XLVII, and on February 3, Harbaugh faced his older brother, John Harbaugh and the Ravens in the Super Bowl. It was the first time two head coaching brothers met against each other in the Super Bowl, John Harbaugh and the Ravens won this game with a score of 34-31.

In the 2013 season, Harbaugh led his team to a 12-4 regular season record and a third consecutive appearance both in the playoffs and NFC title game. In doing so, Harbaugh became the first NFL head coach to have reached a conference championship game in each of his first three seasons.

Phil: Naw he’s never won anything, yada yada yada. Shun the prophets of gloom and doom!

25. Revelation 13: 1-5

And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, with ten diadems on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority. One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast. And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?” And the beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months.

Forty-two months. Harbaugh was hired January 7, 2011. That’s exactly 39 months ago to the day. The beast only has 3 months left to reign. Only then when the false prophet is driven back to the depths of the sea will this nation, the Niner Nation, truly be able to win.

Begone Devil. Begone.

• Sooo yer nominee IZ…?

lucifer, the moron?

No rally my friend, pleazee.

Who You Gonna Put in da HC ?

(Yup, fer da sake of dog daze nonsense WHO?)

We await yer non-answer with amusement

Young Sir …uh wazz yer name. My friend

WHO fer our Beloved Niners HC?

Pisswad especiacle?

(Denny love ya but rally)

• Hiring the next 49er HC is above my pay grade. But if we’re talking fantasy and I was given the magic wand to give Jimbo the boot….Oh, I dunno. I would probably hire a HC who has, you know, proven capable of actually winning a Super Bowl. I’d pry either Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden away from TV and back into the coaching ranks.

I’ll save Chuck the trouble of posting Gruden won the SB with Dungy’s team.
        Yada yada yada blah blah blah.

• Spitblood says:

Del might be sick in the head but he’s eloquent and entertaining. Who cares about the disease…s. They’re a dime a dozen.

• He plagiarizes the Bible (ok, copies) and That’s Creative? Now rally Spit, rally.

But I gotcha, Del Mar is a jewel even if a Quartz Zirconium

Lighten the fuck up, Dennis. If football is armagededon, then the devil has aready won. Just admit that you want a shitty 49er team so you can rag on them. You should be a Raider fan. But that time may have passed as well.

See ya in hell, skippy.

The jury is out on Prince Valiant in Oaktown. He did keep the coaching staff/FO intact, so there’s that. He’s trying to give McKenzie enough time to right the shit, uh ship. This will be season 3 under Reggie, so there’d better be some actual improvement rather than the moral victory kind. Realistically 8-8 would be license to keep the current regime intact. Any variance is to be determined.

My point re Harbaugh is he wants to be in the same boat as Carroll is now. Going in to his final contract year with a Lombardi trophy under his belt. He will not get a re-work this season. He’s putting his eggs, bacon, AND toast into one big super bowl basket. Then he’ll want the $12 mill per year contract.

Kappy is the concern now.

As far as I know, and pending hearing what Pete gets from the Squawks, Sean Payton is the current highest paid coach at 8m. Not a chance in hell would I pay Harbaugh or any other coach 50% more than that. He can want whatever he likes but he ain’t getting 12m from the Niners Lombardi or not. The other owners would castrate Jed and he is smart enough not to overpay like that anyway.

• Spitblood says:

And you’d be passing up dimes to pickup nickels, 12th. Congratulations. If you made $300 million a year off the NFL (which is about what I estimate the owners make), and the best head coach in generations walked into your building and demanded 10 million or he’d walk and return your team back to the cellar, you’d let him walk? Smart move. I wouldn’t. I’d pay that man his money and quit squabblin’ over nickels when there’s championships to be won. And I’m right. Regardless what the rest of you think, I’m right.

• Spitblood says:

A lot of you fellow bloggers, whether you’ll admit it or not, wanted Mike Singletary because you felt he’d be a “master motivator.” Berger was big on Mike Singletary as our next head coach. I absolutely hated the idea that Mike Singletary would be our next head coach because he hadn’t even coordinated and no NFL player needs any more motivation than the current situation already provides (money and fame). The argument for a good coach is someone who knows scheme, can assemble a coaching staff, and someone who can navigate the team through adversity and drama. That coach will then attract free agents, which Harbaugh clearly does. Nobody wanted to coach for or play for Singletary. To bring them in you had to pay them more, not a discount like Harbaugh’s been getting for his players. Someone like Tomsula or Roman would simply maintain for a year and then things would quickly fall apart. From my perspective, I don’t risk re-living the Mike Singletary years with someone like Tomsula for a paltry 2 or 3 million per year – especially not when I make 100 times that per year as an owner. That’s just dumb business.

Given the shot, Jerry Jerk off would do that in a New York minute. Jed has to put on his big boy pants and tell the other owners to bite it, he’s gonna throw the money at his coach. A lot depends on what Carroll gets. If he hits $10 mill then that is the bottom.

29. So the burning off season question is “How much will Jimi’s next contract pay him per year?”
    A) $6 M
    B) $7 M
    C) $8 M
    D) $9 M
    E) $10 M
    F) $10+ M
    Since we don’t know if we win a SB or what Carroll will be making it’s all guesstimating as usual. I’m going with C) $8 M

If I’m Jim Harbaugh, and it’s true that Jed York won’t pay me like I’m a Super Bowl winning head coach, I coach out my contract and hit the open market where I’ll clearly make 10 million plus per year. The open market for a head coach of Harbaugh’s stature could be hugely lucrative because of two reasons: 1.) There aren’t many good head coaches in the NFL. 2.) There isn’t a salary cap or a franchise tag.

However, the one thing that could keep Harbaugh’s salary down? You guessed it. Black helicopters. Or in other words, collusion. 32 owners could easily get together with one league-wide email that read “classified,” and collude to keep Harbaugh’s pay under Carroll’s. The owners know it’s a slippery slope. Harbaugh gets 10, next thing you know a guy like Arians wants 8, and then the wheels come off. Black helicopter down. I hope Harbaugh takes a flame thrower to the place, personally.

I don’t buy the black helicopter deal for a second. Not with Jerry Jones out there. He’d throw $15 mill a year given the shot. Jerry May like to play along with the billionaire boys club, but he’s rankled all those guys at one time or another. He doesn’t give a flying fuck about them if it gets in the way of his destiny.

• Spitblood says:

I disagree. Jerry couldn’t be a bigger company man. When he was out here in 2012, when the Cowboys barely beat the Niners with Romo’s “punctured lung” (my ass), Jerry was all about selling a new stadium in Santa Clara. He knows the more money a Silicone Valley stadium makes, the more it lines his pockets.

Apples and oranges, skippy. If Jerry thinks Harbagh is his Grail, he’ll back up the truck given the chance.

Do you think he’d give a fuck what the other guys think? No he wouldn’t.

• Spitblood says:

Which is evident because Jerry spent a ton of money on which head coach?

Still don’t matter, skippy. Did he go market price for Romo? No. He overpays for whoever he deems necessary. Does he give a shit about the owners when he signs guys? No. That ain’t even debatable.

• Spitblood says:

Jerry Jones, like any other coach, would go after Jim Harbaugh because Jim Harbaugh is a far superior coach to Jason Garrett. The market itself would put Harbaugh above 10 million because not only would Jones want Harbaugh but so would about 25 other NFL coaches. I’d be willing to bet that a guy like Bob Kraft may even push Bill Belichick aside early for the chance to grab Harbaugh. The bidding alone would take Harbaugh over 10 million. Jerry is certainly stupid. Giving Romo all that money was the dumbest thing I’ve seen in the NFL in years. And there’s no reason to believe Jerry wouldn’t throw big money at Harbaugh as well, but Harbaugh wouldn’t go there. Harbaugh would want a combo of money, good front office, owner with a clue and some talent on the team. The bidding for Harbaugh would be pretty fun to watch … if you weren’t a Niner fan… or you were Del.

• Bob Kraft might push Belichick aside for a chance to grab Harbaugh?

Jesus H. Fucking Christ. Say or do something constructive next. Go work on your fucking short game.

• Spitblood says:

That WAS constructive. As apart of the Jim Harbaugh blog ad agency (Spitalicious Inc.), I think that sentence alone may have been my finest hour. And I judge my finest hours by hater reactions, so Spitalicious is well on it’s way to picking up more clients.

• philippinefan says:

Spit Dennis is sorta like you- only more so.

Deal with it

Which, again, is why Harbaugh ain’t getting a deal soon. They are waiting for this season to come and go.

By the end of this season, depending on what happens, determines the rest of the contract. There could be another fuck-a-row between Jimmy James and the front office if things go south. Acrimony, tension, and a split. Maybe they lame-duck his ass. I really doubt it, but the bottom line is Jed could hardball his ass to deliver within the terms of the contract. Which is why I keep saying this is Harbie’s all-or-nothing season. If there was any year to pull out the stops, it’d be this one.

Jimi’s future viability doesn’t depend on it, but the size of his (ego) paycheck will. Whether here or anywhere.

Chuck part of the reasaon Jerruh overpays is because he’s a meddling PITA.
    Propective HC candidates factor that into their Contract demands for employment.

A guy like Tuna made his demands, got his way and, still had Jerruh bring T.O. onto the roster, at what many believed, was against everything Tuna said to prevent it.

I still think, to this moment, Tuna used Romo as his parting gift, (Up yours Jerruh), to get even for the T.O. move.

One major hurdle for Harbaugh, should he decide to run to greener pastures is, many teams don’t have the balanced FO SF has.

Say what you will about Jed, Baalke etc, Paraag has righted their Cap/Finances in such a way that guys like Jerruh won’t, and don’t, have a clue how to contend with it.

The SF system is predicated on shifting Contracts at the proper times, acquiring additional Picks for the future and, assigning a Contract price ceiling on every position on the roster.
    To that point, I think Iupati got his best and final offer last year and will be permitted to seek a better option next year.
    Paraag and Baalke will plan to cover his eventual loss, if they haven’t already.

No team pays enough money for a coach, never mind a head coach, to give up everything else in life they have to give up to coach at this level. If they’re coaching for the money, they’re in the wrong business. The coach does all that he does to win. To win for his players and to win for his coaches, the guys he feels responsible for.

What decent head coach would take all the money away from his assistants, consultants and staff just to say he’s making more than his brother/rival/anybody else?

Some may think a business that represents a billion dollar investment should return peanuts to its owners. Of course those are the guys that don’t have to worry about where to put an extra billion dollars.

Sooner or later, an egotist owner like Jerruh, would tire of a ‘Yes Man’ HC like Garrett that isn’t getting it done NoFear49er.

He’s so desperate for attention and relevance, that he’d figure no amount of money paid to a hot commodity like Harbaugh, would matter.

He sure doesn’t manage his Cap well enough, to acquire needed roster talent so, this is how he’d compensate IMO.
      In his situation, the lemmings keep his coffers happy, with Romo and Dez Bryant jersey sales.

To that end, Harbaugh is smart enough to know, if he’s in it simply for a payday, Dallas is certainly on the top of that list.
      All comes down to how much of Jerruh one could stand, money or not.

I still get a kick out of the 2 owners, he and Snyder, that got clipped for Cap violations during the uncapped year recently.

Both of those idiots love big splash purchases in FA too.

They treat Draft Picks like Monopoly money and, give them away for that one headline grabbing deal, that each thinks will complete the puzzle and get them over the hump.

Problem is, they’re both clueless.

DC hitched their wagon to RG III, while giving away all their Draft ammunition to StL, so they could Draft the talent they needed, while stifling any chance DC had of getting needed depth everywhere else on their own roster.

Quite entertaining nontheless.

I’m hoping Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel is on the Board when Jerruh picks in RD1.

You just know he’s going to be tempted to seize a headline.
        I’m betting he’ll pick a position that no one expects him to make, like he did last year with a Center he could have gotten a RD or 2 later.

Also, pencil DE Jackson Jeffcoat onto the Dallas roster.
        He’s listed with a 3rd RD grade, Jerruh should have him in RD2.
        Legacy Pick.

Nothing wrong with him, I’d consider him, if not for Aldon and Lemonier but, Jerruh will overvalue him.

You don’t think Jones would back up the truck, NoFear? Hogwash.

Harbaugh might do it for the challenge. Big Tuna certainly wasn’t in it for the weather. He wasn’t there to shoot the breeze with the owner, either. The point being, Jerry ran out his 2 best guys (Landry, Jimmy Johnson), has thrown money at idiots, (Switzer, Gailey), thrown money at big names (Parcells, Phillips), and thrown money at up-through-the-ranks-guys (Campo, Garrett). He’ll likely make a big splash with his next hire.

In other words, what’s your point? Do you think Sean Payton feels bad about how much he makes? I don’t think he does. Or Andy Reid? $7 mill and 0 rings? Or Carroll now? He was already top 5, now he’s likely around $10 mill. Do they bemoan the fact that their billionaire ownerships are cash-strapped to pay for their assistants?

Please

35. On of the few pleasures I have left in life is watching Derek Jeter play ball. He just does everything right on and off the field. Especially off the field. ESPN made a starting lineup of all the girls Jeter has dated. Get a load of his lineup…

Leading off and playing CF. Number four, the “Fantastic Four,” Jessica Alba.
    Batting in the two-hole because that’s where she likes it. The 3B-man, Vanessa Minnillo.
    Hitting third and playing 2B. The secret is out. Adrianna Liiiiiiiiima.
    At SS and batting cleanup. Her name is never “Lost in Translation.” The Black Widow, Scarlett Jooooohannnnnnnsson.
    Batting fifth in RF. It’s not an illusion, it’s Jessica “The Massacre” Biel.
    In LF and batting sixth. Please shower her with some “Glitter.” The mellifluous Mariah Carey.
    At 1B and hitting seventh. The very “Fast and Furious” Jordana Brewwwwster. Brewster, 1B.
    Catching and batting eighth. She does her best squatting under the “Lights” on “Friday Night,” Mika Kelly. Kelly.
    And on the mound today batting ninth. Your starting P, the recently jilted and FA to be, Hannah Davis.

Ahhh, to bat around Jeter’s lineup a time or two…

Jim Harbaugh is the best coach in the NFL. Someone tell me who’s better. Pete Carroll? You can make that case. You certainly can. But let’s forget Carroll for right now. Someone give one name – one single name of any coach currently in the NFL or even someone retired who you’d like to coach the 49ers instead of Jim Harbaugh. Anyone. Give me a name. Besides Pete Carroll.

The guys before Harbaugh were minor league HC candidates, Nolan was better than Singleneuron by a country mile but still really only a DC that was out of his depth as a HC at the time.

Harbaugh is a quality coach in the same vein as Carroll, Bellicheat, McCarthy, Payton, Reid, John Harbaugh. It is a zero sum argument to try to discern which coach is better than which when so many variables are in play but on balance I feel all the above guys could coach this current team to NFCCG or SB.

• His brother, Belichick, Payton, Tom Coughlin, Andy Reid and Peyton Manning are all better head coaches. That’s right, Manning is his own HC. He lost his for half of last year and didn’t miss a beat.

Guess what I’m watching right now? “Unforgiven.” What do you think, I think, Jim Harbaugh *deserves* right about now? They’d have to leave that scene on the cutting room floor.

My list would be Carroll, McCarthy, Payton, John Harbaugh and Tom Coughlin. Jim Harbaugh clearly….. cleary owns McCarthy. He also kind of owns Sean Payton. Tom Coughlin owns Harbaugh. Carroll and Harbaugh are about even, with the big win going Carroll’s way. John Harbaugh? ouch. But I would not put Bill Belichick or Andy Reid in the same class as Jim Harbaugh. I’d actually put Jeff Fisher ahead of Andy Reid. Andy Reid is a guy Del would absolutely despise as our head coach. Talk about can’t win the big one. That guy should join under achievers anonymous. All those great teams, the late Jimmy Johnson as his DC for years, with Westbrook and McNabb and just once getting close to a ring? That’s piss poor. And what about Belichick? It’s been a decade since he was any good. Sure, he goes to the playoffs a lot but the AFC is soft, his division is soft, and the Pats have reaped the rewards. Put Bellichick in our division and see what he can do today. He’s a has been. Andy Reid is a wanna be.

• philippinefan says:

This is good. Educational even. I could learn something here…if I was following closely. But sadly I’m not. Because I’m pondering the dog daze depression. The trough of off-season wit. The dearth of newz , the lack of info input. The libation in hand. The opportunity to stockpile wicked reposts to morons. Such as:

- You worm-infested gob of fatuous hog swill

-You laughable gathering of appalling baboon spittle

-You mentally deficient blob of unpleasant aardvark effluent

Well it IS the off-season and I feel free to blather absurdly. OR you can try to make sense of the wisdom of Del Mar.

Try this fer laffs:

You user-friendly container of annoying turkey puke

Yup. Hard to make it all the way. Guys like Switzer get lucky. Flores rarely gets his due, even though he won with a aging bomber in Plunkett, the mercurial Marcus Allen and a punishing defense. Same with Seifert. Say what you will about him, but he was an outstanding defensive coach who built the worst defense in the league to the best, and happens to have 5 rings.

New thread is up . . .