Things Goin’ On

Well, have you ever lived down in the ghetto?
Have you ever felt that cold wind blow?
If you don’t know what I mean,
Won’t you stand up and scream.
Cuz there’s some things goin’ on that you don’t know . . .

Good stuff from those Southern rebels, Ronnie Van Zant and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Famously named for their high school gym teacher and part-time real estate agent Leonard Skinner, who told Ronnie and his friends they wouldn’t amount to shit.

Speaking of things goin’ on, there ain’t shit goin’ on. Well, actually there’s this.

Jim Harbaugh (who might do well to change his wardrobe if he doesn’t want to be instantly recognizable) was spotted in Virginia at V Tech’s pro day. The obvious guy to scout is Kyle Fuller, their cornerback and younger sibling of a couple NFL guys in Vincent and Corey Fuller. Good size, good speed, and started as a true freshman. Possible 2nd rounder? I guess it depends on who they pick in the 1st round.

The wildcard here is QB Logan Thomas, a freakishy fast and big dude (6’6″, 2fitty). In addition to the fastest 40-time for a QB (4.60), he also did the best vertical jump (35.5 inches), three-cone drill (7.05 seconds), 20-yard shuttle (4.18 seconds) and broad jump (9-feet, 10-inches). Plus, he’s got enormous hands, 10 and 7/8 inches across.

He was projected as a 7th round flier before the combine, but folks jumped up and took notice after. He’s raw as hell, but his arm is bigger than Kappy’s. As is eveything else. If this is the new NFL, I’d say draft him with one of our 4th round picks. Maybe even our last 3rd round pick. Who better than Jim Harbaugh to guide him on his path to NFL success?

About these ads

91 Responses to Things Goin’ On

Logan Thomas is definitely interesting, but he’s not fast. He’s more like a cross between five or six qbs. I just watched him on Youtube. In the pocket he’s like Big Ben Roethlisberger. He does run for first downs, but it takes a while to develop and Thomas can’t have many defenders guarding the first down marker, or he won’t make it. But he’s a modern day Big Ben, running out of the read option. He’s also like Brett Favre in that his decision making is a problem. When flushed, he looks to run or he forces the pass. He’d need a lot of work to clean up his decision making process. He’s also like Alex Smith in that he throws a good check down. He’s also like Randal Cunningham in that he throws a great deep ball. But where Logan really struggles is in the intermediate routes. Routes between 10 and 30 yards are inaccurate and usually get tipped or intercepted. From the film I watched on him (not highlights but game film) he threw a lot of interceptions, and he’s like Kaep or really any young qb in that he doesn’t see the field well, not seeing open receivers. His interviews were a little disconcerting as well. He didn’t appear to be a “gamer,” meaning he wasn’t focused on winning, but more on having a good time and enjoying the experience. That’s okay as long as you have the fire to turn it on during big or competitive games.

I agree with Chuck that Harbaugh could turn this kid into something, but he’s a real project and I wouldn’t use even a 5th round pick on him. 6th or 7th, yes. 5th? No. If Harbaugh could pound into Logan Thomas to protect the football, and Harbaugh and Roman and Jesus Jeep Christ could work on his fundamentals and get him throwing intermediate routes consistently, Logan Thomas could be a great 3rd qb moving Bethel Thomas what’s his nuts off the roster, which would be a good thing. But in my opinion, this kid needs a lot of polishing, and he may never be an intermediate passer, which is crucial for longevity in the NFL. Worth a 6th, but not much more. Nice find, Chuck. Interesting prospect.

If the 49ers were smart, they’d offer to extend Fangio beyond Harbaugh’s contract, giving the 49ers more leverage when negotiating with Harbaugh. Sure, Fangio could coach one more year after Harbaugh left and leave himself, but at the very least the 49ers could sell to the media (if the nature of difficult negotiations came up again mid negotation, or Harbaugh left) that Harbaugh can’t take his coaching staff with him if he leaves. If Harbaugh left, the 49ers could sell the then open head coaching job to a high-powered head coaching prospect like Bill Cower (Bill’s not coming out of retirement) that the 49er organization had a great DC in place, who knew the team and could help coach – a kind of assistant head coach. Fangio had no leverage to get more money. He signed a contract and had no recourse. The 49ers were generous to give Fangio more money, but it should have come with the string attached that it needed to be for a year longer than Harbaugh’s current deal. Either the 49ers are confident they’ll re-sign Harbaugh, or they’re just plain stupid because putting Harbaugh’s coordinators in line with his contract gives Harbaugh more leverage, and he’s already got a ton. I’m betting Jed and Trent are stupid because if they were confident they would re-sign Harbaugh, the contract Fangio timeline would be irrelevant and need to be extended again (assuming Fangio wanted to stay and coach with Harbaugh indefinitely) once Harbaugh was extended. What the 49ers are saying is, “Let’s re-evaluate after ’14.” If the 49ers are talking to the Eagles about DeShaun Jackson, they’re no longer considering extending Kaep right now.

If I’m reading this right, Baalke and Jed are saying, “We won’t reduce Frank. We won’t extend Harbaugh or his coordinators or Kaep until after ’14 … maybe. Then we’ll see if Harbaugh can win the big one next year.” This is a stupid strategy, and it’s going to cost Jed York and Trent Baalke a ton of money. A ton.

It all goes back to what Ray Ratto incorrectly said on CSN Bay Area. Ratto, as apart of the 49er media mouthpiece, said, “Regardless what happens after the ’14 season, Harbaugh won’t have more leverage.”Wrong! Even if Harbaugh doesn’t win the Super Bowl, he’ll have more leverage. There’s no franchise tag for a head coach, and there’s no salary cap. Harbaugh hits the open market and teams offer him $10 million plus per season. He might even make $12. 3/4s of the teams in the NFL would line up to get into a bidding war for Harbaugh’s services. There’s definitely demand. And the closer Harbaugh gets to hitting the free agent market, the more expensive he becomes to the 49ers. If Harbaugh’s still making 5 million this time next year, and the 49ers don’t win the Super Bowl in 2014, Harbaugh’s gone and Jed York is the stupidest owner in the history of sports for letting one of the best head coaches in all of sports walk out the door over money – something NFL owners make a ton of anyway. My guess is that each team and each owner makes more than $250 million a year, net. Jed York squabbles over 5 million a year and I’m going to bring a flame thrower to this place.

Right. Harbaugh holds all the cards, the chips are his, it’s his table, and he brought the beer, cigars, AND the whiskey.

He’s going to be in the top 3 of head coaches, salary-wise, unless of some catastrophic meltdown this year. Either here or somewhere else.

• Spitblood says:

But why give Fangio more money and give Harbaugh more leverage at the same time?

• Only thing I can think of is they’re confident they can/will resign Jimi. So extending Fangio is a sign of good faith: “See we’re accommodating Jimi’s request to extend his DC because we know JH and VF are our two peas in a pod and Jimi’s our boy ferever”

I could see the Rams trading for Chris Johnson, and that would be interesting. The Rams have picks and a young back in Zac Stacey. But Johnson could compliment Stacey. And Fischer is familiar with Johnson and Johnson had his best years under Fisher. Gregg Williams with Stacey and Johnson means ball and clock control.

Johnson is scheduled to make 8 million and the Titans are threatening to cut Johnson if he isn’t traded. For the Rams to acquire Johnson via trade, the Rams would need to convince Johnson that his salary isn’t worth 8, but more like 3. And that would be difficult to do because players under contract always feel they’re worth more than they are. And Johnson’s agent would just say to the Rams: When we hit the open market, put in an offer. This will probably be Johnson’s last contract, so he’ll probably try to grab the money while he can from anywhere. But I could also see Johnson wanting to play for Fisher.

They are hedging all the way. Vic is part and parcel with Harbaugh come hell or high water. If Harbaugh goes, Vic follows. Maybe the FO thinks it’s some kind of olive branch. Other than that, I have no idea. vFunny thing is, this is exactly how the Kappy situation plays out. As near as I can tell at this point.

The only card Jed holds is if this season ends short of the goal. How far short is the only piece of the puzzle. Some kind of abject failure would damage his rep. A little. He’d still get at least $7.5 from someone else, if not more. He’s done enough already for many owners ready to get a HC and DC who have proven they can do well. If they win it all, Jed backs up the truck.

• Spitblood says:

I think this is where this blog is wrong….. “The only card Jed holds is if this season ends short of the goal. How far short is the only piece of the puzzle.” I don’t think Jed holds any cards. The 49ers could miss the playoffs and Harbaugh would still be worth, on the open market, over 10 million per year. Take a look at the recent head coaching hires around the league.

If Fangio and Harbaugh are an inseparable item why did Fangio agree HC interview? I don’t buy they are a package deal. If Fangio gets a shot at HC I think he takes it. He has managed to overcome his handicap of declining defense as the years go by, at least so far with the Niners.

• Spitblood says:

That’s an easy answer: If Fangio’s a DC, he’s Harbaugh’s DC. If Fangio can move up, he moves up. Think Jed wouldn’t want Fangio back if Harbaugh left? Sure he would. Doesn’t mean that’s what Fangio wants. So you get a one year, in line with Harbaugh, deal.

If Harbaugh leaves Jed won’t want Fangio unless Jed is promoting in house guys. Any HC from the outside will want his own staff. I like Fangio and am a fan but that is the likely outcome.
        The only way Tomsula gets the gig is if Harbaugh left between now and the end of the season. It’s too late to get an outside coach so internal promotion is the only way.

I don’t see Harbaugh leaving before the end of the season and maybe not then if they can strike a deal.

Chuck, looks like LoCo Jr has stopped reading your stuff:

He makes the case for Jackson to the Niners as did Bill Williamson of ESPN.

• Spitblood says:

He reads my stuff…. always has. He farms this blog for ideas, as does Maiocco. When I’m banned, not so much. Now LoCo Jr (I like that) is using my take on Jackson. It happens.

• rtfirefly says:

I’ve been writing that for years about the local boys. B* ragged on me incessantly about it in his inimitable ways. But I’ve seen my lone wolf ideas suddenly pop up overnight as well. Also, if I ran a billion $ business, I’d have some junior staffer(s) browsing national and local articles/blogs as well. Small investment.

• Absolutely RT. Best ideas come from ‘the people’.

• LoCo jr, good one. I swear he got the “We’re short a slot cover CB” from 12 last year. But this is a better blog than the Niner Insider he writes fer.

Yeah we’ll keep proping ‘em up what the hell.

Your take? Who first argued for taking Jackson? Your welcome.

12th,
        I’m sure you first argued for Jackson because I was out playing 36 holes of golf when the story broke, but it was my geneous that laid out the reasoning for the acquisition and convinced everyone here it was a good move. NJ’s on board because of my considerable knowledge. You’re welcome.

lol.

• I’m with 12 on this one = We all agree on a 1 year deal max and 12s reasoning about “gets us past SEAs D” and doing this before they break up the old gang, agree with all that. Plus it would prove Balky is balky no longer; is an unpredictable kinda guy throwing the dice to get ‘er done now. That would be Mister Baalke

7. Catching up on the last thread w/ some CCR: Fortunate Son can’t be a thread killer, right?

• Spitblood says:

There’s no way it can be a threat killer, unless of course you think of all the poor unfortunate sons in Crimea. Speaking of Crimea….

thread*

Crimea river, spitty.

Beyond the fact that DSJ would be the richest guy on the team, and thus thrust into a role of being some kind of a clubhouse leader while being a dick, his cap number , and the fact we’d lose a #1 pick (sacrelige to Baalke), he’s a fucking headcase whining sack of diva. Every deal he signs is an insult within a year, and if he doesn’t get 8 targets a game, he pisses and moans to everyone within earshot.

• Spitblood says:

I totally disagree about the Diva thing, but I do agree it’s tough to bring in a guy making 10 million into our locker room when Kaep makes 1 million and there are others who want more on the team. That may be the single biggest reason Jackson wouldn’t work. But I also think there’s a chance (warning: Black Helicopter) Maiocco is spinning this idea for Baalke to soften the blow. Maiocco is, we all know, Baalke’s boy.

HOWEVER, and I listened to Maiocco’s thoughts on this and read LoCo Jr’s thoughts…. I think you can easily do a one year renta player with Jackson and pull it off. If the $250,000 guaranteed is just for 2014, he’s essentially a free agent in 2015. I wouldn’t try to restructure him like LoCo Jr is thinking. I’d take him with the contract the way it is and dump his ass at the end of the year, and make it clear he’s playing for a new contract else where. I’d also sell to him he has to do that on a run first team (worst case scenario). I think the 49er players are desperate for a ring, and I think they’d look the other way if you were to bring in an impact player like Jackson who made that much.

What LoCo doesn’t realize is the best plan to keep Jackson is for one year only and make it clear to him and the league he’s playing for a contract else where next year. Then we get all the motivation, without the headaches. That’s if, of course, Jackson’s guaranteed money is up after the 14 season.

I argued 1 year rental on the last thread. Agree that is how to keep him motivated.

• Spitblood says:

One year’s the only way to do it. I don’t want him for two. Then he would become a problem.

The pride of El Cerrito is always welcome here, Phil.

• Yeah that’s right Chuck, dem’s local boys. Remember hearing “Suzi Q” on the street in SF when up here on a visit one night. 5 seconds in I was like “Damn they’re goood. Whouse dat?”

11. We have one clear advantage over the newspaper blogs- besides better writers = We get to splice in music videos of all our bright ideas. Born on the Bayou, that’s me youse all-

My Brother and I wore this track out in my early Teen years Phil.
      Back in the day when vinyl was king -

Another classic -

Can’t beat the California Raisin song either…….

• philippinefan says:

Yep they made it on the West Coast and then spent time touring back East summer of ’69. I saw them and Joanie Mitchell at some racetrack in PA. Joanie was a little overwhelmed by the crowd I think.

Steppenwolf’s ‘The Second’ (Magic Carpet Ride) and Cosmo’s Factory were the 1st 2 record albums I ever owned.

Brings me back….
        Thanks for bringing it into the forum Phil.

• Saw these guys a couple times @ Winterland. 1st album just hitting

That’s my concern with DSJ as well.
    Sure he’s a playmaker, a needed commodity in an otherwise mundane Offense but, he’s going to be the highest paid at the position the moment he walks through the door.

I can’t see it from the locker room chemistry angle either.
    Boldin is a no-nonsense, soft spoken, business first leader in his own right.
    A polar opposite to what DSJ is all about.

I do believe Baalke is quietly waiting for the next wave of cuts which inevitably arrive post-Draft.
    I’ve gone on record for Kenny Britt before, but he is a risk off the field.

Only upside for him, with us, would be a 1yr ‘prove it’ deal, where he and fellow Rutgers alum, Anthony Davis may keep him in check somewhat.

Niner locker room is a whole other animal (pun intended, Mike Vick) than the Eagles. Jackson would be kept in line in essentially a contract year for him.

I don’t buy that. He’s had plenty of guys around him in Philly and that doesn’t stop the bulllshit. He’s a mercurial talent that isn’t worth what we’d have to give up to get him.

If Philly is all hell-bent to lose the guy, wait til they cut him. As it is, we lose a 1st round pick to sign him.

I think Kenny Britt could benefit from our locker room environment more than DSJ would.
      From a purely business standpoint, I’d be more inclined with the risk factor of Britt over a Cap busting gamble on DSJ.

But…..we’re merely spectators in this process.
      Save those bucks for the guys like Kaep that need to be retained IMO.

I think Britt is talented but not in the way Jackson is. Jackson is a high octane very explosive player, a game changer and very dangerous in the return game, just what the Niner O could use.

I don’t think the trade will happen but I do think it should.

• Spitblood says:

Well some of us are in the “He won’t be a problem for one year” camp, and others aren’t. I think there’s a potential this deal could go down if the Eagles are serious. The Eagles are claiming they aren’t shopping him, but they are listening to offers, and others are claiming NOW the Eagles ARE shopping him. I think it might have started with a phone call to the Eagles, but now the Eagles are trying to create leverage by saying, “So-n-so offered this, can you beat it?” That’s probably what’s going on. And Trent Baalke has more picks than anyone else, so I think there’s potential we could land Jackson. I’m warmer to the idea or potential tonight than I was yesterday.

The only thing that would worry me is if Roman and Kaep and Jesus Jeep Christ didn’t use Jackson properly. That would be my only concern.

He could ba an asset to the Rookie we’re likely to Draft in May Spit.
        There’s an upside in that scenario for me.

As Boldin would provide similar Vet leadership and guidance too.
        DSJ carries a very large Contract, which is what Philly is likely to be more concerned about at this point.

If his current deal could be reworked, I’d feel more comfortable ‘renting’ him for 1yr.

• Spitblood says:

Reworking his contract won’t work. Why would he? If he’s concerned about money, which is what he complained about all two years ago under Reid, why would he take less now to move? He wouldn’t. He’s got Philly by the short hairs with a quarter million in guarantees. It’s unlikely he’ll get cut even though Chip is posturing that way. The deal with us should be for one year, assuming the guarantees are up after the year, and then he’s gone…. but he plays under his current salary, which is a hard pill to swallow, but not impossible. There’s no greater impact WR in NFL aside from Calvin Johnson and AJ Green that the 49ers could grab. Not in my opinion. Jackson is the elite option, and he’s better than Josh Gordon and Micheal Crabtree.

10 mill and a 1st round pick? No thanks. No way. No how. If they weregoing to get someone they had Sanders, Edelson, or a few others, and it wouldnm’t have cost them a draft pick.

I read a 3rd round?

I thought I heard 1st or 2nd. 3rd? Ehh. Still, the money is not Baalke’s style.

• Spitblood says:

No… It’s a 3rd and change. Meaning a 3rd round pick this year and maybe a later pick in later drafts.

Spit has it right, that’s what I read too.

I’ve heard the RD3 version as well.
        It’s more about the current Contract assumption that kills it for me.

I look at it this way NJ. The 10 mil means a contract rework, maybe two which dings a couple of the older players and puts a bit more pressure on the cap in a year or 2. But no team wins the SB every year and the Niners have had 3 bites at the apple and come up just shy. They are still loaded with talent, still have the coaching staff in place and were already one of the top 3 teams likely to make it back this season. I would parlay a bit of future cap space to try to get the 6th while everything else is still in place cause a year from now it could all look very different with Kap, Harbaugh, Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon Smith all on the bubble one way or another.

In that regard I agree 12th-
        Just posted a reply to Spit above citing a similar angle.
        We have the Picks, he’s a proven commodity, moreso than a Rookie could be counted on immediately too.

We’ll see how/if it flies.

• Spitblood says:

T. Brown’s been classy since he got here, and based on his college career, I didn’t think that would happen. He’s even classy in this interview. Good 49er, great guy. Sad to see him go. It’s a business. I agree with whomever said, “The 49ers claimed they didn’t know Brown was owed 2 million, but few in league circles believed that.” The 49ers knew. Bottomline – Brown’s agent was asleep at the wheel and it cost Brown. He certainly handled it well. Good luck in Oakland.

Here’s my proposal for the ninersforever blog theme song -

If we’re going RHCP, it’s gotta be this one. For you, Dennis.

RIP, Hillel

17. Animal Bar right next door to the Bayou and da Jungle? Yeah I know the place fer sure

18. Happy Birthday to the legendary Ursula Andress. Honey Ryder, the first Bond Girl turned 78 today.

Honey: Are you looking for shells?
    Bond: No. I’m just looking.

19. Final Four: Kansas, Iowa St, Arizona and Louisville.
    Rock Chalk, Jayhawk denies the Cardinals a repeat.

20. Is Ursula Andress a Catholic School Girl? Dunno but Suzi Q certainly is:

Jared Allen taking a second visit to the Squawks. Not in his prime but still causes trouble for O lines.

Harbaugh didn’t go to see Fales pro day, Chryst went instead.

Britt would be easy. A contract that pays by games suited up w/ behavior related caveats. No defense is going to ignore him deep and if he catches a long ball or two probably both a safety and a corner are committed. That’s all we need because CK7 is not going all Peyton Manning in one year.

I don’t understand youse guys who want to take money from proven vets to pay a guy who quits playing on the field ’cause he’s unhappy with the game plan or play calling. When a guy gets shopped around, a bunch who know him are saying their team can do without this guy. So can we.

• Thought is DSJ won’t pull this shit if this is a one year deal and no more guaranteed money next year. For the vets = How much is a possible ring worth to them to wait a bit to get paid?

• NoFear49er says:

I understand the line of thought but I put it off more to wishful thinking. Why would you think Jackson means a possible ring when 90% of this blog has complained for years we don’t throw the effin’ ball? Who’s throwing the ball to him? The guy that doesn’t look past pre-snap reads of who’s over Crabtree? How is he going to hold the ball in the pocket long enough for a deep route to clear? Does he come with his own protection guys? Why wasn’t Moss the ticket to the SB?

• Good questions NF. Wish we had the answers to the coaching dilemmas you mention along with all the rest of us on here many times. As you saw above our discussion is predicated on our pass game Changing. Period. Is it wishful thinking? Likely but so what? We wanna talk about “what if”. Because what we have has been beaten to death.

You got any suggestions how our pass game might improve?

Hey NoFear49er -
      I’m leaning your way too.

Anthony Davis and Britt are local guys from Jersey.
      Might be a good situation for Britt to have a low key confidant at his side too?

I’d have to look back to see if they played together while at Rutgers but, either way, Anthony is a quiet guy with no known issues off the field, which is where Britt seems to lose focus.

• NoFear49er says:

That’s the reason for the outs for not being suited up or bad behavior. If it comes up he’s done with no loss to speak of in the money/contract department. He has to decide he wants to play or he’ll be of little use. He’s got lots of talent if he wants to play. He could turn into quite an asset or a no-loss trial.

IMO, we don’t have enough balls in the air for the guys we already have so it’s not that big a deal except to keep the defenses honest and provide potential for a long game if it works out. I’m pretty confident a guy like Jackson is upset by half-time he isn’t a big enough part of the game and starts dropping balls if any come his way. Hoping the hyena changes his spots for us is a little on the ridiculous side.

Another reason I don’t want him is we may try to change our game to what we don’t do very well to justify the money. It’s a sure way to lose too many games to even reach the playoffs. If and when CK7 starts looking at his deep options and putting the ball on some guys down there then we might want to look at upgrading some deep talent and maybe get our money’s worth. While the field of vision ends ten yards beyond the LOS what’s the point besides keeping a safety deep? And taking a TE off the field to boot!!!

Pretty much sums it up for me NoFear49er.
        Always liked Britt while at Rutgers.
        Big time talent, small time effort when it matters it seems.

He’s not a very focused or driven guy I guess?
        Boldin might be an excellent mentor for him too.

Things that can’t always have a price tag attached are the work ethics and business-like attributes guys like Boldin and Gore bring to a locker room.
        It’s contagious.

Phil DSJ is a volatile personality.
      Sure, he’s a valuable piece that could likely help us get over the hump but, he’s also a ‘me first-type’.

Not sure how willing he’d be to make a sacrifice such as it were.

Hey….Stranger things have happened.
      We gave Moss a shot and he did what Moss was notorious for, playing when the mood struck him.
      Totally vanished in the SB too.

Could be that our Offense just isn’t cut out for those types of personalities too?

24. So we’re super deep, right? How do our backup guys fit in moving forward? Spillman, Morris, Hampton, Jacobs. Bay Area Sports Guy has some ideas:

Read the overnight comments and share some of the views and concerns. This is the bottom line for me:
    Jackson is a truly elite WR. He is also an elite return man. In the SB and last years Squawks champ game the Niners were devastated by a return in each game. The Niners don’t have that kind of firepower in the return game, they have the fair catch.

Also, comparing the O from 3 years ago to now is not reasonable. Gore is a diminished player and that is just fact. The O has to change like it or not. The coaches are clearly trying to put 3 WR on the field more. The arguments about how will Kap have time to throw deep change with Jackson added to VD, Crabs and Boldin, also, Jackson makes a living on the intermediate throws as well as having the true deep threat. No team can risk 8 and 9 man fronts with those 4 on the field. The run game gets a break simply because of Jackson’s presence which has to back up a safety. Those 4 on the field represent probably the best 4 of any team and at the very most only 2 of them can see a double team leaving the other 2 in single coverage.

Kap can’t throw deep accurately? B.S., he threw deep plenty in college, what he can’t do is throw deep accurately when that play is used maybe 6 times in a season. Kap is now in his 3rd year as a starter in the same system, if the coaches don’t trust him now they never will and the team needs to see what they have if they are really considering a top 5 contract IMO.

The difference between a second tier guy like Britt and Jackson is considerable. The idea that Jackson drops a lot of passes and takes off plays didn’t seem to hurt his production very much last year when he was not in a contract year, 1332, 82 with 9 TD on a team with other productive WR. That’s not wishful thinking it is fact. Anyone believe he will try less than last year in a contract year? He may be crazy but he ain’t dumb.

Britt is more of a risk since he is one step away from suspension, I.E. he may not play and as such is worthless.

It is a risk and expensive to sign Jackson but not franchise destroying like Dallas, more a calculated risk to add dimension to the passing game and the O overall. The team must be more creative and productive and a receiver of Jackson’s ability comes along very rarely.

I say do it today.

• Well said 12. Agree. We need an elite addition to our passing game for the good reasons you mention. Will it be a risk? Yes. Will it be expensive? Yeah we know that too. Will it work? It certainly could, very well indeed. That will depend on coaches getting out of their hypnotic trances and running an actual passing attack. Using deep threat as more than a decoy but to, gasp, actually score with. Fancy that.

Coaching/coaches, ball in yer court. DSJ or whomever fast we get Do Not give us more gimmicky ginn crapola. Expand our repertory of passes fer Gods sake. Mooks.

Agree about your decoy point Phil. It has it’s place but so does a completion or 2 deep and who knows, maybe even a score???