Salary Cap Conundrum

Lots of talk out there regarding the huge impact the salary cap will be as guys like Colin Kaepernick, Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati, Anquan Boldin, Richard Dawson, Donte Whitner, and a few hundred others come up for free agency in the next year.  Someone (or two) is going to be left out with all the signings the Niners need to make. And that’s just from within the team. Kaep to me is the deal you work out first. Everything flows down from getting him on board for the next 4 years at least. After that I think Boldin is the biggest priority. He and Kappy had great great success together. Then you have Crabs. He’s going to be a hairdo I’m afraid. Or maybe he won’t. His holdout to start his career hasn’t been forgotten, but his steady ascension to being a top flight WR has come to pass. But he’s going to want a big payday. One the Niners may not want to do. Because in the endd, he’s a possession WR. Not a burner like Julio Jones (or even Roddy White) or an unstoppable force like Megatron.  If anyone is going to get a ride to the end of their deal, it’ll be Crabs. Cheaper possession WRs can be had once his deal runs out. I’d like to see Donte Whitner stick around as well. He has been vital to the development of Eric Reid, and the 2 form a strong safety tandem, despite the rookie mistakes in the NFCCG. Dawson? Sure, but no need to go nuts on him. With McDonald being not much and Celek providing minimally, I’d wonder what a guy like TE Brandon Pettigrew from Deetroit would cost. Maybe get a discount for the opportunity to play on a winning team, or a 2 year incentive-laden deal.

If there are casualties, it could end up being Iupati, Goodwin, Crabs, and Wright. I just wish Boldin wasn’t so old, but he’s not a speed guy anyway, so he shouldn’t drop off too much, at least for the next couple years. Rice played at a high level til he was 40ish. Kilgore Trout and Looney can take Iupati and Goodwin’s line spots, and we can draft backups.  Cox is on the bubble, but he played well. As did Tarell Brown once he recovered from his rib injury. I’d keep both and of course draft backups. WR is was and will be a draft need. Osgood and Boobie are ST stalwarts, and should be easy to keep. I heard George Constanza is also available. He was a great ST guy when here, and he wants to come back. With Ventrone signed that may not be possible.

About these ads

121 Responses to Salary Cap Conundrum

If Crabby isn’t extended, I won’t be that sorry. He’s not even on the order of John Taylor quality. What has to be done more importantly is have a major change in the offensive mindset. It’s bogus, utterly too conservative and run dependent. I could understand that if the Niner defense sucks, and they can’t afford to be a little risky and turn the ball over a few times because of a porous defense. But, this Niner D has been, is and should be a stalwart defense for a while longer. I don’t care if this squad had Rice and Taylor in their hay day — they wouldn’t catch many balls with this offensive scheme. When I see other teams playing, and see their highlights, sheezus. Mediocre wide outs are crazy catching slants, hooks, bubble screens, quick outs, you name it, the ball is MOVING out of the QBs hands quickly and to the WRs so they can make a play. To the TEs, too. And, the offenses get plays off early, late and in the middle of the clock count, keeping the DLine off balance, not waiting to hike the ball every damn time with one second to go. If Roman doesn’t go, this bullshit conservative offense has to …

This is the Draft to focus on WR/DBs for future development.
    Crabtree is worth the thought, regarding an extension, however, he can’t be the focus.
    Agree Chuck, Kaep drives the show here now.

I’ve taken the position that, Kaep can be safely extended for a good long-term Contract, because he’s shown enough of the ‘IT’ factor to be considered worthy.
    My number, $15-17M/yr would make perfect sense because he’s young.

Saw the SBNation piece, posted a couple threads back, with 5/$86M.
    My number of 7/$120M is exactly the same, only I’ve spread it out further, to make the working Cap more viable.

You could backload my option too.
    It all depends on the up front money as to how you spread the Cap hit.

As for Crabtree?
    Draft a guy to replace him, just in case.
    Patton could easily provide some insurance there too.

And, while it’s been suggested that I’m a conspiracy theorist, I’ve always believed 2 theories in Sports.

1) Boxing is the easiest sport to fix, simply for the dive factor.
    2) Officiating answers to no one. It’s the the good old ‘judgement’ factor.

Until there’s an option afforded to a HC in football, to challenge all calls or, non-calls, games can easily be impacted by the Officials.

Camera angles are making the game more and more complete, in terms of game action getting to the TV viewership.
    As Harbaugh gets blamed for losing his cool, he’s also very much in tune with what the Officials are less and less aware of, in high pressure situations, (Carolina Clock Penalty).

The Biilionaire Boys Club is well aware of the stakes generated in Vegas, especially for the SB.
    No different than Wall St.
    Pump and Dump when the opportunities are there.

I stand by my opinion. It’s all about the money.

Tuned in just in time to catch a mini Alex interview at The Ol’ Crosby Clambake. Dude’s beard is a poor Rodgers imitation.

Peyton’s got a great short game, might even make the cut. Alex, Aaron and The Future President aren’t doing so badly, just not quite there.

6. Alleykat says:

The 49ers should pounce all over F/A WR Kenny Britt!!
    The uncertainty of Boldin even coming back means major need at WR.
    Britt brings the size 6’3 215 lbs and speed to “Stretch the Field” a weapon Kap can surely take advantage of .
    They will need more WR’s in the draft perferablly with Size as well to counter with Seahawks physical DB/CB/S and other teams in our division, but Britt with experience and a good compliment to Crabs on the other side would be a great start!
    General Patton needs to step up as well ,now that he has seen limited action and would be ahead of the development curve of the Rookie’s we draft!

I’m with ya Snarkk, and I’ve been on this bus since after Turner left. Well, maybe Martz. The point being, the passing game needs a big upgrade. I’m not sure Harbaugh is the one to do it. Certainly Roman’s passing game is rudimentary at best. If Harbaugh wants to take more control, great. Just get things much faster and much more aggressive. They can stilll run, just get rid of all the jumbo formations. 90% of them anyway. I really was hoping Harbaugh would pull a brother John move and fire his OC midseason.

Thing is, Harbaugh is up for an extension. If they wait on him, I really wonder how this shit could go down.

Gotta love the idea of adding Odell Beckham Jr to the Roster in May too -

If we were able to land him, I wouldn’t feel too bad if Crabtree were to be lost to Cap considersations.
      Davante Adams wouldn’t be a bad consolation option either -

You guys might think the 49ers’ biggest off season problem is our passing attack and Greg Roman, but it’s not. Our biggest off season problem is Frank Gore. Here’s a guy who used to be, and still might be, a collective blog all-time 49er favorite. Frank used to call Nolan on the phone after games to see what he could have done better. Frank cried when he saw Brandon Lloyd partying in the parking lot with fans after a loss. Frank backed Alex. A potential HOF running back who probably won’t make the hall because he faced 8 and even 9 in the box for most of his career (in his prime) while Alex was his qb? And Frank still backed Alex? That’s character. That’s why we all love Frank……… and that’s why it makes the decision to cut Frank or severely limit his touches next year (while paying him next to nothing) that much more difficult. He’s dug in. Hard to unseat.

My case against Frank now is simple: He can’t run outside the tackles and he hasn’t run away from anyone in the open field for the last five years. If linebackers and D linemen know your game is up the middle, it’s simple: clog the middle. That’s exactly what Seattle did to Frank in the NFC Championship game and Frank went no where. But the Saints ran effectively against the Seahawks the week before. Frank can still pass block with the best of them, and he can certainly still be shifty behind the line, finding the smallest of seems to exploit. But running backs need to do a lot of things well, and Frank, at 31, isn’t doing all of those things well enough, and it makes it harder on the passing attack. Roman might be addicted to Gore, but Gore is killing the passing attack even if one of Gore’s strengths is pass protection.

If Kaep had a running back in his prime who could hit holes and break long runs, with more juice in his legs, Kaep would be more effective. And I know this year was all about Frank facing 8 in the box while defenses dared Kaep to beat them without Crabtree. But if you flip the field, or flip the offensive philosophy, you pass to set-up the run to give the running back more space with fewer defenders in the box. However, when you pass to set-up the run, the running back has to be fast to catch defenses off guard (a quick, sneaky delay that Frank tried to run but couldn’t down the stretch in this year’s playoffs). What about the swing pass in the flats, making a linebacker miss, or a toss sweep? Frank can’t do any of those things anymore, and those things are crucial to opening up a defense so the passing attack can thrive.

Marshawn Lynch made Russell Wilson, but Frank Gore, as much as I hate to admit it, or claim it, hurt Colin Kaepernick in the playoffs this year. The 49ers’ offensive success next year depends on Rathman, Harbaugh and Roman finding Frank Gore’s replacement. Make Gore the bell cow next year and the 49ers won’t go anywhere in the playoffs. And if you’re looking to gradually hand the duties over to Lattimore next year while phasing out Frank Gore, then you’re gambling a lot on a man with two horrific knee surgeries. The window for Super Bowl greatness is small. Let’s not gamble on Frank and Marcus. I say we need to draft another running back in the second round.

This dude, Florida State’s Devonta Freeman, is a stud. In my opinion, he’s the best running back in the draft, and he’s considered a 3rd round pick. Grab him in the second and smile all the way to the Super Bowl. Jeremy Hill is another good second round option.

We should well with Lattimore Spit.
      He too was a 1st Rd talent scooped up on the cheap due to Gore-like knee injuries.

If he learned anything from Frank during this Redshirt season, he’ll do well.
      Agree about the blocking piece of Franks’ game.

Lattimore has already acknowledged that Rathman made the blocking assignments priority number one.

Freeman is a player.
      Other guys I’ve penciled in for the RB slot are Ka’Deem Carey, James White and Dri Archer.
      Archer being the Pocket Rocket option.

Not sure what the deal is with LMJ at this point either.
        If he’s not cutting it, adding a PR/KR weapon is imperative too.
        If there’s a RB with those talents, put him on the list.

RB Charles Sims from WVU is a worthy candidate too.
        Runs well and is a threat on the receiving side of the ledger too.

Check out WR Bruce Ellington from SCAR.
        He’s got some KR experience. Little guy, decent numbers.
        Might be a consideration for Slot duties?

WR Brandin Cooks from OR State has KR ability too.
        Another candidate for the Slot perhaps?

Spit, Frank never never never ran outside the tackles. He was almost always caught from behind. Even back in 2006. Speed was never his game. You act like these things are new. And the whole world seems to understand that Lattimore will be phased in as Gore is phased out this season. This is Frank’s last year. He’ll get his 10,000, and he can get 10-15 touches a game.

Considering that 90% of the offense is based on the run, that’s a helluva lot of expectations of a guy who hasn’t played a full season, because of injuries, since Singletary was Head Coach.
    I don’t see a 2nd rounder, rather a 4th or lower, but definitely a pick.

I’m all over Beckham. I like his size and really like his speed. Great route runner. Might have to trade up to get him. Carolina needs a WR, as does KC, Deetroit, and a few others. He could last til 30, but I don;t think they wait. Maybe a deal with KC would get us Beckham.

The 49ers need a wr in the first, rb in the second, safety in the second, DT in the third, qb in the fourth.

Spit I’m inclined to consider DT/DE Aaron Donald, maybe NT Louis Nix, if he’s still available at Pick 30.
      Nothing wrong with a WR either, especially if it’s a coveted individual.

Most of the SS’s are rated from Rd 2 on so, I wouldn’t reach for that position too early.
      Should be interesting to watch Baalke play the Board in May.

Wouldn’t mind picking up OG Gabe Jackson either, if Iupati becomes a Contract extension headache.

Could find him in Rd 2 possibly.

I didn’t realize how high Derek Carr was rated. He’s a 1st rounder? Hopefully he won’t be as big a bust as his bro. David Fales on the other hand likely lasts until the 4th round. He’s a shot with our 3rd 3rd round pick. The little I’ve seen him, he looks pretty close to Carr. Might be a steal. We defeintely need to get a rookie AND a vet for Kappy’s progression.

Shit, for as good as the 2011 draft was , the 2012 was equally bad. Last year looks pretty strong, but the inability to get a WR that can produce is getting harder and harder to reconcile.

But then again that points back to the playcalling/route-running/quarterback issue that is getting the ball to anyone not named Boldin, Crabs, or VD.

I saw the replay of the pass to Crabs, and it sure looks like Boldin isn’t even looking for the ball. He’s bracketed, but there’s some space around him. Could Kappy have gotten a pass to him? Iffy at best. But is sure looks as if he knows the play is for Crabs and Crabs only. VD is open as well for a medium gain underneath. That would be the safe pass. But again, the play was designed to go to only Crabs from the looks of things.

2 WRs, 1 quick slot guy and 1 a big, good hands guy – speed a bonus
    2 secondary – 1 safety (SS or FS depending on what happens in free agency and resigning), 1 CB
    1 interior DL, a fat man would be nice
    1 OG
    1 RB who can catch and scoot
    The rest special teams guys and role players. Any outside pass rushing terror who can be had cheap for situational roles should be snatched up, as always.

Some thoughts on Gore.

2013 he had the second most attempts of his career and the lowest YPA at 4.1 of his career.
    Can this be all about the O line blocking and execution? Was the O line even close to how bad some of the lines he has run behind year after year were?

Gore has the final year of contract but nothing guaranteed. I read somewhere an idea of extending him using the same basic amount of money he is due in 2014. That makes the most sense to me but not because I see him playing beyond 2014 as the writer of that article did.
    I can’t see Gore accepting a straight out paycut, he has done too much and has too much pride for that.

His only other real option would be to sign a 2/3 year contract elsewhere but I don’t see him wanting to do that so that’s a last resort.

Which leaves an extension as the most viable option. In effect it would be a 50% paycut for 2013 but publicly it would affirm the belief Gore still has 2/3 years left in him and he may have 2 in reality if he reduces his carries significantly although I doubt he is in Niner uniform after 2014.

Just my 2c

• Spitblood says:

Gore’s done. Chuck’s stuck on numbers, but who gives a sheat about numbers.? The 49ers only have one running back on their roster for all of next year who’s a sure thing: Kendal Hunter. The 49ers will draft a running back high. I guarantee it.

Was cruising over at the flap and saw Dennis was banned there for racism? Haven’t seen him post here for a while either come to think of it.

Dennis has made some off-color (pun intended) remarks in the past but nothing I would construe as overtly racist. I presume he stepped out of character?

Chuck doesn’t like him. sniff…….

Shame to ban him, his brand is unique. Most folks talk out of turn from time to time especially with a dram or two too many.

burp…….yeah foot in mouth and brain shut off. ……belch!

• NoFear49er says:

Bullshit! I’ve read the most vile insults and slander on this blog. It used to be the “no-holds-barred” blog and bragged about for it. But marching orders is marching orders. Don’t tell Dennis. He still thinks Chuck is his friend.

• rtfirefly says:

I have been discussing football and life for years with Dennis. I miss his non sequitur pop movie and other references. He’s like a buddy. I’d like to see his exact quote, in context, which garnered him excommunication.
        I realize that life is not just under The Pope. Henry VIII had a thing for beheading wives because they didn’t bear him a male son and heir. Yet he was excommunicated not for this, but for the sin of divorce (which he resisted, which is why he resorted to the ax in the first place).
        Free Dennis!

For all the jockeying the 49ers did last season to keep as much talent as possible on the roster and not lose guys like BJ Daniels, Micheal Thomas, Perrish Cox, Marcus Cooper (who got beat like a drum) and others, the 49ers sure did lose out with all of their wasted running backs taking up roster spots. Why have Anthony Dixon and Bruce Miller on the roster at the same time? They’re the same guy. Both have special teams ability, both can block, catch and run the ball – with limits with ball in hand. Bruce out, Dixon in. Did we really need to keep two fullbacks?

And like the old saying goes: If you have two, you probably don’t even have one. For my money, I dump Miller and use Dixon. Dixon has more ability with the ball in his hand, and Dixon makes more plays on special teams. Miller’s the superior blocker but Dixon could be taught and coached to get better at blocking. Who knows if Cooper, Thomas and Daniels will turn into something in a few years? If they do, the 49ers running back conundrum cost the team some talent.

I’d look at trading La Micheal James. He has some value in terms of ability, and he’s cheap. He’s tradeable. I’d trade him. I don’t trust him with the ball in his hands: he’s too damn small.

Forget about Lattimore and Gore. NEXT!!!!!

Next year give me Hunter, Dixon, Devanta Freeman and Jeremy Hill. Put Bruce Miller on the practice squad. Cut Frank Gore.

NoFear, I’ve talked to Dennis about it. He’s fine with and understands why he was banned. He knows I’m his friend.

He was banned the same reason why JT and all his incarnations were banned.

Yer loony, Spit. You and noFear should be on point/counterpoint. Get rid of all the RBs? Brilliant.

LMJ isn’t worth a warm bucket of piss right about now. We don’t need more draft picks. What do we get for him? Adrian Peterson? Or Pat Paulson?

• Spitblood says:

LaMicheal James has a lot of value. He’s still in his rookie contract (which is value right there), he was great at Oregon, and he was behind Frank Gore and Kendal Hunter on one the best teams in the NFL. We used a second on him. I think Baalke could get a third for him now. Trade him to a team like the Titans. Whissenhunt, an offensive minded coach, could do something with CJ2k, Locker and James.

I’m not a Bruce Miller fan. He’s a great blocker, but he’s limited with everything else. I’m amazed that Greg Roman wanted to feature him more in the passing game (but I shouldn’t be). I’d dump him or put Miller on the practice squad. I know he’s cheap, but someone else can do more as our FB. The only thing I don’t like about Dixon as our FB is that he runs past defenders and they tackle the ball carrier – that can’t happen. But a lot of that can be fixed with coaching and watching film.

In my opinion, Marcus Lattimore shouldn’t just be given an automatic roster spot next year. He should have to compete with all the other running backs in camp. I think that’s what the 49ers will do. But I’d bring in two more running backs as high draft choices to compete with Lattimore to be Gore’s replacement. I’d bet dollars to donuts Lattimore doesn’t hold up next year. Then what? We revert back to Gore down the stretch? James, Miller and Dixon? No thanks. Our running backs, besides Kendal Hunter, aren’t that good. And if Lattimore does surprise, GREAT! The huge gamble paid off. But hedge your bets.

Devanta Freeman and Jeremy Hill. On a team that runs as much as we do, we can’t afford to hand the ball off to sub par or extremely aged players. AND, making our backfield better makes Kaep better. In addition, if you’re going to have a college run game coordinator run the offense, put some bullets in his gun. Roman’s firing duds. I know, Unca, you love Frank but what do you think Bill Walsh would do? If Bill Walsh was the coach of the 49ers right now, Frank Gore would be looking for another team…… and you know it.

1.) Wide Receiver
    2.) Safety / DB
    2.) Running back
    3.) Defensive Tackle / NT
    3.) Linebacker
    3.) Running Back
    4.) Wide Receiver
    5.) QB
    6.) Guard
    7.) FB
    7.) CB
    7.) DT
    7.) Punter

LMJ to Philly -
    Former Duck who already would compliment what Chip Kelly is doing there.
    Dri Archer, Odell Beckham already have some PR/KR abilities as well.

No doubt, there’s dozens of others out there too, that I’m not able to identify by cruising Bio info.

I can’t see Baalke spending all these Picks, even though it’s backloaded for depth-type additions in the later Rds.
    5 Picks in the Top 96 is quite attractive.
    Especially because the deepest portions, WR/DBs are right in our wheelhouse of needs.
    He could move up of course but, that’s what the Draft Day drama is all about.
    Would it be in Rd 1 like last year?
    I can’t see a splash move like that for a risky position like WR.

A Defensive stud would make more sense to me in that scenario.
    See what the 1st Day brings….

12th I could easily see Frank getting his Cap number spread out a little to retain him.
    We don’t know what Lattimore has at this point so, it makes sense.

Iupati is another concern.
    If Looney is ready, we’re fine, if not, Baalke may have to soend a higher Pick on antoher option in May.

Another concern is, Culliver.
    Knees are always tricky, as will be the case with NaVorro.

I figure to see Carlos and Goodwin gone. Money saved there immediately.

Whitner and TBrown? Hard to know, until they have Boldin factored in.
    If there’s any question about retaining Crabtree, this crop of new recruits will serve to prepare for his potential replacement.
    Baalke may have to spend another Pick on the Center position as well.
    A kid like Russell Bodine from UNC could make sense in the Mid Rds.

I definitely see 2 WRs and 2 DBs added into the mix.
    Moving up in Rd 1 for a solid SS-type wouldn’t surprise me, nor would a guy like Nix at NT.

Spit -
    Losing Marcus Cooper was simply a decision to retain Darryl Morris over him.
    Sure, a tall rangy CB like Cooper is a nice option but, we’re dealing with Pussy Harvin and Tavon Austin in our Division now, speed is essential.

With the glut of talent available from the DB ranks this year, there’s plenty of options to get taller in our Secondary.
    I’ve floated the name Ryan Shazier, LB from Ohio State as a possible ‘Tweener’ to inject into our Secondary ala Cam Chancellor.
    His a smaller OLB with good range and coverage ability.
    He might possess enough potential to consider at SS, although there’s a ton of other viable options to chose from.

CB EJ Gaines from Mizzou might not be a bad option to consider at SS either.

This is the type of planning a GM has to sort out.
    Quite the puzzle.

But, with a Cap to maintain, getting younger is paramount to maintaining Cap integrity too.

As for Boobie Dixon and Bruce Miller.
      Dixon doesn’t offer me much in terms of versatillity.
      Dances too much as a runner, not near as fluid as a blocker or receiver compared to Bruce.
      Dixon would be the odd man out in that debate.
      Short yardage is easily compensated for with Tuk or Miller.

Special Teams wouldn’t suffer much without Dixon IMO.
      That’s what guys like Ventrone and Osgood are there for, as well as late Rd Draft Picks.

With the uncertainty of NaVorro being ready, a premium has to be placed on retaining Skuta and /or Wilhoite now too.

I think there’s going to be a concerted effort to get younger and cheaper in this Draft.

NaVorro could likely open the Season on the IR/DTR List.
      Since only one guy can hold that slot, it’ll be a risky decision to make.

Musical chairs with very high stakes, especially with Playoff aspirations on the line.

Chuck your boy Hakeem Nicks is up for FA.
    He laid an egg last year with the G-Men.

Can’t see us shopping at the WR position but, he might be a lot cheaper now, since he made little effort to play last year.
    As for Kenny Britt, he’s turned into a risky proposition.
    Too many off field concerns.

Tell you one guy that might make a ton of sense, if affordable is, Dexter McCluster from KC.
    Snag him as a FA, trade LMJ to KC later?

Things that make me go Hmmmmmm?

Pats have Center Ryan Wendell from Fresno State as a pending FA too.

We know he can pass block, since he looked after the Future President.
    I’d keep him on the potential bargain section of the shopping list.

Chuck, I’d like to see a more potent passing game as much as the next guy. Why else would I be screaming for CK7 to replace Alex? Or be down on the coaches for wasting the talents of deep threat WRs?

But I see nothing wrong with using our running game or featuring it or relying on it when we have a Frank Gore and an o-line of talented, high priced run blockers, and a defense that can keep you in games by TOP and points allowed, and a S/T that wins the field position game, together with a mistake-prone/injury riddled/inexperienced pass game. Seahawks did it all the way to the Lombardi.

It (running game) has its place and there’s nothing wrong with it when it’s needed or the best approach for a team considering the personnel make up. I acknowledge its benefits, I don’t hate it and I’m not afraid of it so I don’t have conniptions when we rely on it.

As for Gore, he doesn’t have a problem dancing behind the line trying to decide which hole to hit. When he gets stuffed you can be pretty sure it’s a problem with the blocking up front. When he’s getting stuffed more times than not, it’s a no brainer.

He doesn’t have the break-away speed anymore to beat the DBs. He’s played a 19 game season as the workhorse. Does anyone think that might have a bearing on it, even for most younger guys?

Maybe we wait until he quits making the Pro-Bowl every year before we put him out to pasture as useless.

That’s part of how it seems to me as well NoFear49er, almost an identity crisis, predicated on current personnel.

Our OLine is heavily weighted toward the ground attack.
      We do suffer somewhat when obvious passing downs are advertised.

Both Iupati and Davis have their challenges from time to time in that regard.

I’m expecting a change, at minimum, with Goodwin.
      Not certain how to read the tea leaves if Iupati is lost.
      I know Anthony played LT in College, he certainly wouldn’t be uncomfortable on the left side I’d guess?
      Could he handle OG in place of Iupati? Why not?

Is Looney ready or, could other arrangements be under consideration?
      Lot’s to muse about but, I’m with you.
      The running game wears down an opponent.
      We have to improve the passing attack, without question.

Excellent post BTW – Spot on.

NF, Gore is getting far too many carries for his age and the last 3 seasons have been extended, so at a time when physically he is declining, his workload has increased. A perfect storm for him.
      For me there is no doubt Gore is not the guy we have watched year after year. He did still break a 1,000 yds and I’m not dismissing that stat albeit on a run heavy team, but I’m equally not dismissing his declining stats either and I think you are. I believe Gore will be back in 2014 in a reduced role but seriously doubt any longer than that. As an aside, he would make a good coach at the position and I think he goes that way when he hangs up the cleats.
      Spit keeps talking about not relying on Lattimore and I don’t think the Niners are. They have Gore and Hunter and Jewel Hampton as well as LMJ in a pinch. Dixon will move on this year (the 3rd year I’ve written that) and Lattimore will get every opportunity to prove himself.
      Miller is a much better FB than Dixon IMO and I think the O missed him. I think ST can replace what Dixon brings.
      I expect them to draft a RB sometime after the 4th round as insurance/opportunity.

31. No one has any stats to show if “Penalties even out for teams in any given game”. Hard to take that seriously with no facts on hand. Or that some other coach at some other time wasnt penalized much. We dont know so the point is weak, likely irrelevant. Refs want to appear impartial so they have make-up calls to make it appear so.The number of penalties hardly factors, its the severity, timing, etc that matters. Did the subsequent D offsides called on NO make up for the supposed roughing call on AB? No. For example.

But the solution would seem to be making all penalties reviewable- 2-3 per half? Yeah it will slow down the game but I’ll take that over costly calls like ABs determining the outcome. Replays showed that to be a legal hit I believe but maybe the NFL doesnt want to advertize how violent the game can be by having slo mo replays airing during these times of concussion negotiations? So the penalties stand and the league acknowledges the bogus nature of the call by often not penalizing the player. Talk about a conspiracy. NFL is acknowledging bad officiating by foregoing many fines. A conspiracy of silence. But in those cases the team and the fans get screwed. As we know. But PR is king because a lot of money is riding on projecting a certain image (“We’re against violence!”) and not wanting to show up the refs. (“We stand by the integrity and accuracy of these blind monkeys, ah, gentlemen”).

But we’ll see if Goody G can rise to the challenge of fixing this weak spot.

Phil it has to come to that. Soon.
      The ability to call for a CALL.
      Harbaugh would wear it out in nothing flat.
      Upside? More time for revenue producing TV timeouts.

With HDTV, additional camera angles and, Jumbo-Tron video boards, it clearly advertises the plays in question.
      You’ve seen me post it often, the magic formula to dictate an outcome is clearly in the Officials hands.

It’s a loosely applied term regarding calls evening out, of course.
      Sure, make up calls exist but, as you suggest, the magnitude of those calls never does.

Using Carolina as an example.
      They came out, chips firmly applied to shoulders and, got chippy from the start.
      Beginning with the shot on VD I believe.

Lest we forget, Herr Goodell is paid EXTREMELY well by the Owners that employ him.
      Bottom line, make money, minimize culpability or complicity.

More fuel for my anecdote regarding the Vegas Connections.

I’d go so far as to say too, the most egregious example of Officiating inconsistency, relates to the muggings applied by the Legion of Goons in Seattle.

As they’ve suggested for years, holding at the LOS could be called on every play.
      As could illegal use of hands on the Secondary.
      It’s all subjective, which, in and of itself, produces these inconsistencies in Officiating.

No diiferent then the bogus call Steratore’s Boys applied to roughing Andy Lee in the NFCC game.
      An ability to challenge that call changes it. No argument, no second thought.
      Blown call, plain and simple.

Clock management is another situation that damn near spelled disaster in Carolina on the VD TD just before the half.
      Had Harbaugh not been paying attention, it would have opened the door for additional problems, had the call not been reversed.

Officiating sucks more and more, because HDTV clearly shows, how bad most of these clowns are.

Many “bad calls” would disappear if they would rewrite as many rules as possible to reduce/eliminate discretion and judgment on the part of the official making the call and allow every call to be reversed if film evidence dictates. But, I don’t think that’s what the commish wants. He wants to be able to influence as many decisions on the field as he can. The owners seem content to live with the bad calls as long as Goodell keeps the cash flowing. So suck it fans. If the owners are happy, Goodell keeps on doing what he’s doing and worse. No way to prevent the “Las Vegas” factor as long as there’s so much discretion involved and calls that can’t be reversed.

What pisses me off more than the human error in the bad calls is when the entire crew of officials don’t know the frackin rules. Does anyone take a conscientious approach to doing the job they’re paid to do anymore? None of them knew the difference between running into and roughing the kicker? On a post-season crew? Yeah, sure.

Exactly NoFear49er.
      Ignorance is bliss.
      ‘Let’s huddle and make a case for covering our backsides.’

I couldn’t begin to guess what the Vegas scene churned out with SB action.
      10s, 100s of millions of $$$?

Too easy not to ignore that action as motive for me.

Easier to have part-time Officials bungle it up and run cover for the real reasons.
      They want some amount of human elements to point at, while saving money on full-time Officials in the process.

If it smells like rotten fish, it’s probably a rotten fish.

• Yep well said NF, 100% agree w/ this

Here’s one for Dennis. It’s almost like he’s here.

That’s been the argument for oh, about 40years. These guys are part-time employees of the NFL. Make this a full time job, as MLB does, and maybe they’d all get to know the rulebook better.

Then again, it’s a built in excuse for being incompetent out there.

Personally I don’t think the part time/full time argument has much to do with it.

The NFL has been adding subjectivity to the rule book in an effort to gain more visible “safety measures” to show an overt effort in protecting the players from head collisions. Other than QB, the other parts of the body are still fair game for the players.
      The QB exemption is a simple matter of the owners protecting their biggest investments. The head collision rules are meant as CYA for the current and future law suits.
      The rules are clumsy, somewhat ineffective in that concussions are continuing, and are based largely on subjective judgement by human beings in real time and not reviewable..
      One need only look at figure skating in the Olympics to see how the subjective part of judging fails miserably.
      This gives rise to theories of rigged games etc, and I wouldn’t rule out any interaction between humans and enormous sums of cash, but I just don’t see it myself.
      Poorly written rules, implemented with an acknowledged bias towards erring on the side of caution, and in real time without the benefit of a second look is a recipe for ineptitude and it’s hard to imagine a worse set of circumstances in which to expect referees to perform well.

If the NFL intends to continue down this road, and it clearly does, then the only remedy is to make everything reviewable as their on-field product is suffering and the fans are dissatisfied.
      I would also make plays simultaneously reviewable both by the ref at the stadium and a centralized location with override authority reducing the emotion part of the equation from the field ref. That way the fans in the stadium and on T.V. get to see the ref in action under the hood doing his thing and there is a level of comfort that a ref having a bad game, or trying to sway a game, does not have complete autonomy and the league can’t just make back room decisions without a witness to the event.
      I would still limit the challenges a coach could make but would make any change of possession reviewable for the instances where there was no clear cut evidence of how it happened.

Not wide receivers. The stupid way ‘defenseless’ is defined, as is the ‘football move after catch’ is beyond idiotic. If you hit a WR who has the ball, it is ok to hit him. If the ball skips off his hands and you hit him, it isn’t? How can the DB determine what is going to happen in that 0.25 seconds? It’s like the hit on Breees. He ducks into the contact. So, Brooks gets penalized.

Much like the call on Skuta against Carolina. He’s behind Cam on his rush, and Cam turns into him. Naturally, it’s a penalty on Skuta because he has to intuit the move that Cam will take in his effort to escape the sack, and somehow get his head out of the way in the process.

They need to either put flags on the QBs and WRs or let the game get played on the field.

It’s in the hundreds of millions, NJ. Legal and illegal.

Yeah, the highly subjective nature of these newly implemented penalties leaves way too much room for the bent-nose crowd. Since the system h now is to hold no one accountable, well, it shall pass. At least give the coaches the ability to challenge these calls.

The 2 that spring to mind are the Brees sack/fumble, and the goal-line call on Lynch’s fumble. Why that fumble isn’t reviewable still escapes me.

The Brees sack/fumble call probably stays the same, it was too close to the QB neck/head to overturn although strictly by rule I thought it was clean but I doubt the NFL wants that hit to be seen to be allowed.

The problem with that is Kaepernick took a harder hit to the head/neck area that same game that wasn’t called. If no that then what? The hit on Lee?

By definition, hitting the plant leg is a PF. It galls me that you can’t flag that kind of complete whiff by the refs.

Fully agree there is uneveness in the calls. Can’t eliminate it all but measures could be taken to reduce the impact on the overall game, Punter penalty a great example.

12th man, I’m not dismissing stats but stats are just numbers and don’t offer any insight as to how they came to be. Not like dismissing perennial pro bowl selection as meaningless and based on popularity at all.

I’m saying we’ve been trying to get another RB into the mix to lighten the load on Frank since Jimmy Raye’s days. Nothing new there. We will keep trying until we find a good one or Frank breaks. Then we’ll go with what we’ve got on the roster and hope. Until then Frank keeps on doing what Frank’s always done since 2005, well, 2006.

Who do you think missed out on the pro bowl because Frank got the popularity nod?

Stretching what I said about the pro bowl NF. I said it has as much to do with popularity as production, not that production is meaningless.

• NoFear49er says:

Not trying to distort your words 12th man.

You wrote: “The pro bowl thing means little as name recognition and player popularity have much to do with selection as productivity.”

Saying it means little implies that Frank wouldn’t have been selected if not for name recognition and popularity. Is that not what you meant?

If it is, I was asking who you thought got passed over due to Frank’s taking their spot.

Peterson? Forte? Certainly Frank was more valuable than either of them this year. So which three RBs had Pro-Bowl years but didn’t get the meaningless honor?

I’m not saying an argument couldn’t be made for one but just wondering who you would name instead ahead of Frank Gore.

• Spitblood says:

The Pro Bowl is a bad way to evaluate. It’s usually a year behind. Guys who I would have given the nod to over Frank Gore are guys like Zac Stacey from the Rams, Eddie Lacey from the Packers (don’t who made the Pro Bowl roster), obviously Peterson, McCoy and Morris. I also like Bobby Rainey filling in for the injured Doug Martin. And Khiry Robinson was a beast for the Saints in the playoffs. But a good playoff appearance isn’t enough to garner Pro Bowl consideration.

Trouble with using the Pro Bowl as a way to evaluate is that guys get injured, they don’t want to play, or they’re in the big game and then the NFL has to go deep down a list to bring in stars for the game. And, like I wrote earlier, the voting and recognition is usually a year behind. Frank Gore’s a name at this point. Nothing more. Like 12th pointed out, he gets a boat load of carries behind one of the best lines in football. You put Devanta Freeman or Jeremy Hill behind our line next year and they double Frank’s productivity from ’13 (with or without Iupati). And Rathman could turn both guys into blocking studs, but there’d be some growing pains in the pass pro department.

Thomas Clayton?

Lattimore is the guy who most closely resembles Gore in running style. If he’s healthy, he should be more that capable to pick up when Gore is phased out. As I see it, and as I’ve said repeatedly, this’ll be the season that they do that. Gore gets his 10,000 and he moves on to retirement.

Spit’s idea to give up on Lattirmore before he plays a down is dumber than picking Boobie over Miller to stay as FB. Dixon’s ST contributions are minimal. He’s not very tough as a FB. Miller is a better pass catcher. And he understands the blocking schemes better.

I base this on the fact that Miller is the one that got ALL the playing time when he was healthy.

• Spitblood says:

Again, Unca, reading comprehension skills aren’t your thing. You don’t gamble everything on Lattimore. He COULD get it done all season, but don’t bet on it. Protect yourself by drafting one running, maybe two. And I also agree with 12th man when he writes that Bruce Miller is a far superior blocking FB over Dixon. I’d just convert Dixon to a FB and tell him to make the team he needs to beat out Miller. I wouldn’t carry both Dixon and Miller on the roster at the same time. I also like NJ’s idea of trading James to Philly.

My perfect backfield next year would have one FB (either Miller or Dixon), with another FB on the practice squad. I’d dump Gore entirely, obviously keeping Hunter. Lattimore would have to earn his roster spot with good pre season play. I’d forget Jewel Hampton entirely and I’d draft two more running backs. If you had Lattimore as a legit ace in the hole who you weren’t banking on, that’s a great situation. If he does it, great. If he doesn’t, no harm done.

Miller or Dixon, Lattimore, Devanta Freeman, Jeremy Hill and Kendal Hunter. That would be an awesome backfield. Right now we’ve got a below average backfield.

Who’s gambling everything on Lattimore? They have Hunter and Gore. And Miller. They have LMJ. They have the draft.

You want to get rid of Gore and Lattimore? Start Hunter? Do we suddenly become a sweep/screen team? Or are we the 72 dolphins and start Miller? Or do we start a rookie?

Oh, now you don’t want to get rid of Lattimore? 3 hours ago you did. Which is it?

I don’t comprehend your shit? You don’t comprehend your shit, Spitty,

• Spitblood says:

Regarding Frank Gore, Jerry Rice went on to play for the Raiders and Seahawks. Ronnie Lott played for the Raiders and Jets. Joe Montana played for the Chiefs, but for some reason Unca’s hooked on Frank Gore retiring as a Niner even though Bill Walsh clearly established a better way. Numbers, HOF, Pro Bowls? Forget about them. It’s all about young, fresh legs next season behind one of the best lines in football. Frank Gore is done. He’s the one who should be cut. Let him play as long as he wants…… else where….. like Joe, Ronnie and Jerry did.

What part of phasing out Gore don’t you get. skippy? I’ve only said it 15 fucking times.

You, like NoFear, repeat your own ingrained narrative to the point of not reading what I write.

Have at it. I want the Niners to sign Gore to a 5 year extension for a billion dollars. Happy, fuckwad?

• philippinefan says:

“Fuckwad”? I want a royalty payment for the use of my patented phrase.

• Spitblood says:

Unca, try to have some class. There’s a difference between phasing someone out and dumping them. Did Bill Walsh and George Seifert phase out Ronnie Lott? I include Bill in there because it was his philosophy.

The point being, we need WR and DB help before we go after RBs.

42. philippinefan says:

Spit points to a hidden (because FG has been so steady and productive) weak spot = lack of depth in our RB dept. Lattimore hopefully steps up to replace Frank as this year progresses and I have to think he will. But if not then what? We should be thinking about drafting RBs as well as WRs as Baalke certainly is. Its no secret to them (Baalkebaugh) that we are in dire need of a major infusion of talent in our O to get past SEA. That means players as well as coaching talent / new blood. SEAs D requires that of us otherwise we will be playing for runner up going forward. Even w/o Iupati and Goodwin our O line should be okay with Kilgore/Looney, Boone, A Davis, Staley. If the brain trust thinks otherwise we will be acquiring/drafting O linemen it would seem.

We under utilize LMJ much like we under utilized our WRs. See R Lockette in SB as Exhibit A for our need of new coaching talent on O.

• Spitblood says:

I think we under utilized LMJ in ’13 because he fumbled in the Super Bowl. He’s not my return guy of choice either. I’d much rather have had Ted Ginn back there in ’13. But finding a good return guy is difficult. Either way, LMJ is a waste of a pick, and if you look at Baalke’s draft in ’12, you gotta say ouch. Maybe’s he’s not the greatest talent guy ever. But ’11 was awesome and ’13 has promise. A lot hinges on the productivity of Vance McDonald for the outlook of the ’13 draft.

We don’t have a lack of depth at RB. Not with Lattimore ready and Hunter and LMJ behind them. Shit, we still have Jewel Hampton.

Fuck Lockette. He caught one pass. He don’t mean shit. Ted Ginn is the indictment of this passing offense. He caught more passes this season in Carolina than he did in his entire stay of 3 years in SF.

Yeah, we’ll draft an RB. Maybe 2. But they’ll be later. This team needs a WR that can come in and not get in Harbaugh’s doghouse. Or be ignored. Then they’ll go after a DB or 2.

• Spitblood says:

I agree with this. Harbaugh and Roman have a tough time developing wide receivers. Draft them earlier. Draft running backs later. But if there’s a stud running back like Devanta Freeman available at the end of the second round, you grab him. I still can’t believe Baalke passed on Alshon Jeffrey to grab AJ Jenkins. Talk about your indictments….

• philippinefan says:

Bad scouting. And who was that great WR we got from USC?

Yeh Spit, Baalke isn’t knocking the WR Picks out of the park.
        I’ve got to think QPat will do fine, he’s a feisty kid.

This Draft is loaded, let’s hope he has a better time of it this time around.

• philippinefan says:

Ronald Johnson? Great pick. He’s working at Taco Bell these days, right?

• Spitblood says:

Harbaugh passed on Doug Baldwin to pickup Ronald Johnson….. makes you wonder. Harbaugh liked Baldwin coming out of high school. Why not coming out of college? And you have to believe Harbaugh was directly responsible for LaMicheal James. Maybe Harbaugh can’t draft offensive talent at the pro level. But then there’s Kaep… masterful pick if you ask me. Vance could be the determining factor. Not looking good there either…. but if you ask Harbaugh Vance is the next Tony Gonzalez.

VMcD was pretty productive at Rice Spit.
        He was more of a slot guy there.
        Wasn’t asked to block much.

Could be, that he was simply learning the blocking role this year too?
        I never get overly hyped about Rookies, and their production numbers on Offense because, I think it’s a pretty steep learning curve.

Defense is a different story.
        I think they can get into the schemes much quicker and, often with better success.

• philippinefan says:

Yeah Jimi passed on Baldwin for R Johnson. And the asst coach who recommended RJ was fired at end of season.Just like the asst who recommended AJJ. Maybe these are growing pains as the Baalkebaugh brain trust puts together decent scouts. Whatever we are haunted/harmed by these picks today.

Re: Baldwin/Harbaugh. Wasnt Baldwin one who said he would “much rather” play fer Carroll than Harbs? I tell ya there are consequences to his abrasive style/control freakishness…but Baldwin would have been better than Taco Bell boy.

• Spitblood says:

Yeah, Baldwin did say that. Hell, I’d rather play for Carroll than Harbaugh. Harbaugh’s never won anything. Carroll’s a winner. Harbaugh’s a loser. I’d rather play for Carroll.

Well, I wanted Keenan Allen instead of Vance the 270 lb slot WR.

It’s the old axiom Chuck, hindsight is always 20/20.
      WR is also a difficult position to project between College and the Pros.

For me, I think it’s 80% mental makeup, 20% College production.
      This Class is loaded.
      Baalke has more chances to get a winner I’d think.

Always a crapshoot it seems.

45. philippinefan says:

Ok granted that re: Lockette and 7 other WRs last year and granted our “depth” at RB- which Im skeptical of- what is the answer for the crying need for new blood/talent in COACHING talent for our limited O? Romans not leaving sooooo what we gonna do to break the Singletron/Nolan robotic mode of the last 6-7 years?

Agreed we need help there? What/who is the answer? A consultant, Mangina, new O asst? What?

Phil I’m thinking an additional asst might not be a bad way to go.
      Several factors for me are, OLine is built to run, pass blocking isn’t a strong suit.
      Also, Kaep isn’t polished as a pocket passer anyway.

It’s almost a perfect storm of confusion, from the OC to the QB to the WRs.
      Need stability there too.
      Too many gaps in terms of injuries, new players and lack of execution.
      Gotta get better.

Any good passing team has continuity and timing with the QB.
      We experienced our share of disruptions in that regard.

I’m also having my doubts about the position Coach, John Morton.

• Spitblood says:

Good point about Morton. I didn’t even think about him. Harbaugh’s staff’s been widely considered one of the best in the business….. but not on offense. Solari’s the man, and I like Jesus Jeep Christ. Who doesn’t like Rathman? But Morton, Magnin and Roman suck. And I know technically Mangini isn’t an offensive coach. Technically.

• philippinefan says:

Right about Morton. That slot needs a close look for upgrading

I’ve kicked around an idea regarding WR Jordan Matthews from Vandy.
        He, being a cousin to Jerry Rice, might open the option to Jerry being more involved with the Team perhaps?

He did offer his assistance to AJ afterall, which obvioulsy fell on deaf ears.
        A family member certainly wouldn’t blow him off right?

A Rice return to the sidelines, as a Passing Game Assistant or whatever, sure couldn’t hurt.
        Who’s gonna question his work ethic or production as the GOAT WR?

• philippinefan says:

Jesus yeah get Rice on board!

• rtfirefly says:

I’d love to see Mad Mike return. We could start a pool on which shade of blue Jimbo’s face turns when Martz calls for 5 wides again after 2 straight sacks.
      Kappy might do well in that system though. He’s nimble and has a strong arm.

• philippinefan says:

Deep Purple my call!

That’s funny RT, I was just joking with my Son recently, that we might want to seek out Crabtrees’ old College Coach, Mike Leach, if WSU parts ways with him.
        He’s a quirky, pass first guru, ala Martz but, he did wonders with Crabtree at TX Tech.

Another factor I’ve posted about is, the fact that Kaep throws lasers.

Many crossing routes and screen passes require a decent amount of touch and timing.
        It’s something I think Kaep has yet to master to this point.

• Spitblood says:

I’d dump Mangini. He might have protected us against tipping our hand, but we also sucked….. so there’s that to consider.

I think Roman sucks too, but he’s here for a least another year. CSN Bay Area ran a story on Roman’s time for a HC job coming, eventually. I say horse cookies. I don’t think Roman will ever be a HC. But he’s here for at least another year so draft to his strengths, and that’s RB talent.

The overall answer is more talent at the offensive skill positions. And I don’t think we can keep both Boldin and Crabtree. I think Boldin and Crabtree are similiar possession type receivers. This year we had nobody who could consistently stretch the field. Problem with Vernon stretching the field is that he’s a big body and he’d eventually get tired if you asked him to run the decoy route alla Moss or Ginn all game long.

I think you keep Crabtree, but see what his crazy ass agents wants. If he’s reasonable, keep him. If not, keep Boldin. But if Crabtree’s agent’s reasonable, I heavily leverage Boldin and don’t re-sign him unless it’s in the neighborhood of 3 million per year. I know he’s worth more, but we’re not in the business of paying more.

If we could somehow make our offensive skill position players Kaep, Hunter, Crabtee, Vernon, Vance McDonald, Patton, Devanta Freeman, Jeremy Hill and a first round wide receiver who could stretch the field, I’d be happy with that. I’d also love it if Baalke could find a Bar None in the later rounds to replace Bruce Miller. I’d dump Dixon, Gore, James and Jewel Hampton. Again, if Crabtree’s reasonable, I doubt I’d keep Boldin.

Yeah I said the same thing somewhere that I think Crabs goes after this year if we sign Boldin for a 2 year deal. Crabs is going right back to holdout mode once his current deal ends.

• philippinefan says:

Wouldn’t be surprised unfortunately. All the more reason to seriously focus on upgrading WRs this year.

• Spitblood says:

On the one hand I could see Crabtree wanting to play with Colin Kaepernick. On the other hand I could see Crabtree wanting to play in a pass-first offense. Hard to tell what Crabtree will want. Mike Iupati is the big philosophical swing decision. If Iupati stays, Crabtree goes. Then we’ll just be a ground and pound team modeled more like Seattle, and that, to me, sucks. I want to see this team pass the ball more. I’m not saying abandon the run, but I’d go after Kaep and Cratbree and work on throwing the ball more, and more effectively. Needless to say, I’m not a fan of our offense.

The last thing I’ll say about all this tonight is that if you’re going to keep Mike Iupati three things must follow: The first thing is that Crabtree is much, much less likely to be re-signed. The second thing is that you must draft a running back higher THIS year. And the third thing is Colin Kaepernick can’t get a huge deal because with signing Iupati you’re taking a guard over a potential HOF wide receiver in Crabtree, so your philosophy is to beat ‘em with the run. Can’t pay a qb top dollar to beat ‘em with the run.

This offense is really an offensive team divided. Kaep and Crabtree, who are friends, want to see this offense air it out. Roman, Iupati and Jim Schembechler want to see the offense go ground and pound. It’ll be interesting to see who wins. I hope it’s Kaep and Crabtree. One thing in Kaep and Crabtree’s favor: Frank Gore is done. Another thing in Kaep and Crabtree’s favor: AJ Jenkins. Harbaugh and Baalke can’t draft wide receivers. Kaep recently said he wants to take less so other guys can get re-signed. Didn’t hear Crabtree say that. Either way, because Harbaalke can’t draft wrs, Crabtree has some leverage. It’s not like Vernon and Boldin are spring chickens.

NF making a big deal about a comment of probowl selection is sidetracking the pertinent issue, Franks obvious decline. Clearly we see Frank differently at this point in his career. Your entitled to your opinion too.

• NoFear49er says:

I think it was you who made that an issue in response to my post. Check the record.

And the fantasy football site doesn’t give a shit about the o-line playing like shit, they just care that the guy didn’t get the fantasy football points they projected for him, because that’s what they sell to newbies.

You don’t think pro coaches and pro players voting for a guy for pro bowl recognition means anything but a fantasy football site’s writer’s opinion is the yard stick you throw out as golden? Okay, good luck with that.

I find you placing words in my mouth and stretching my comments to fit your version of my opinion.
        Gore is declining and that’s a statistical fact as well as an obvious one and he has been for several years.
        He has faced 8 and 9 guys in the box his entire career, in fact far moreso earlier in his career when the O was Gore, Gore and Gore and he did it behind some seriously shitty lines blocking for him.
        Gore’s ability to run despite the blocking and focus on him has been his career MO, his ability to get it done against premium D has diminished considerably.
        You want to stay in memory lane knock yourself out.
        My money says the front office keep him around 1 more year if they can figure a way to do it but his day in the sun is over as the bell cow.
        If it turns out I’m wrong be sure to let me know at the end of next season.

New thread is up.