Return to Forever . . .

SEATTLE WEATHER REPORT: 50º cloudy, 20% chance of rain, 6 mph winds out of the southeast. 100% chance of bloviating . . .

For all you Al Di Meola/Stanley Clarke/Chick Correia fans out there . . .

Well, the inevitable has happened. We remain road warriors and now travel to Seattle for the be-all end-all showdown. Everyone knows the particulars. Seattle wore us down in week two 29-3. The Niners took them at the Stick 19-17 on a game-winning field goal.  the trash talk is prety intense, at least among the fans. I posted a couple innocuous posts on Field Gulls (an SBNation blog) and was promptly banned. Much like the Seahawks themselves blocking anyone from the state of California from buying tickets to the game. Pretty fricking hokey if you ask me.

Anyhow, as much as Seattle fans want to deny it, the Niners are coming in pretty hot. Russell Wilson has posted very pedestrian numbers these past games starting with the Niners. I’ll post them soon when I get them, but Kappy is spreading the ball around nicely. He looked off Keuckly on a couple completions over the middle, and generally looks a lot more comfortable in the pocket. Gore was Gore, and the defense took a little while to wear down the Carolina line, but they eventually did in the 3rd quarter.

Should be a hard fought game, and the winner truly deserves to bring home the trophy.

Bring it on.

About these ads

64 Responses to Return to Forever . . .

Anyone notice the formations used in the first half? For the most part the ones for which Roman has been roasted for not using. Considering the offense was limited to a pair of field goals for the first half, with the exception of the last thirty seconds, the notion of play calling being crippled by the lack of receivers on the LOS in the formation should be put to rest. IIRC, the TD to Vernon was out of a jumbo personnel I formation on the goal line. You know, the one everybody knows never works.

I did notice it yes. They moved the ball pretty well first half despite Kap being a little bit off. The play action from the Jumbo formation is precisely what we have been asking for, what doesn’t work, at least not often, is the run from the Jumbo to gain a yard or two. Roman in this game called untypical plays and it largely worked.

• NoFear49er says:

I don’t recall any posts calling for precisely that. I do remember making the point that running from these formations, even when the play doesn’t produce big gains in yards, is a big reason that play action does work from them. Nobody cared.

It seems like CK7′s rushing TD came off a play action and Gore’s forty yarder came out of a similar power I formation.

I’ve only posted that about 500 times this season, NoFear. Surprised you missed them all.

I think we all understand the concept of running certain plays so that it allows for the surprise play action. In my opinion the jumbo was run repeatedly and for very little effective gain as they almost always did run from that formation. Yesterday was one of the very few times I have seen them run play action from it.

I don’t think its been worth not succeeding on many 3rd downs during the season so as to be able to spring that particular play.

The trade off makes no sense. It’s not necessary to fail 10 times to succeed once for instance. Simply vary the calls from whatever formation you line up in.

Just my humble O

Lets have some manly thoughts for a change. Worry worts dominate this blog and reveal a hopeless nerdy nature.

Hey NoFear, let’s go all the way back to yesteryear. OR January 6th to be exact:

January 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm (Edit)

Again NoFear, running out of the jumbo package, whether left, right, up, down, or sideways is still a run out of the jumbo package. More often than not it doesn’t work. At least on 3rd and short. Which is my contention.

Mike Singletary’s whole existence was based on that style of play. Besides, we throw very rarely out of that.

And my glaringly obvious point also was throwing out of the 4 WR sets on the goal line is the same self-defeating idea. You spread the field on the goal line and the LBs drop into coverage. Harder to throw into coverage, eh? Pack the line, send fucking Staley out. Or Tukuafu. Or (gasp!) Vance McDonald. They tried shit to Crabs but he was covered. VD is always doubled down close. 4 WRs? That is when you should try a run. It’s elementary.

Been saying it for 3 months.

• NoFear49er says:

I don’t know about elementary but it is obviously wrong.

Uh, no. It worked, didn’t it? Of course it did. Threy threw from the packed formation, and the ran in a 3 WR set (Kappy;’s run foir TD).

Try to keep up with me. Roman must be reading this blog.

4. Berger says:

The good news is that Carolina used typical Greg Roman play calling and lost. Even Greg Roman is starting to get away from typical Greg Roman play calling!

5. Berger says:

Return to Forever is good stuff! I listened to it often in the late 70s and thru the 80s.

Can someone please tell me what was wrong with the Chiefs this year? They had an awesome team and were one and done. They had a great secondary with Flowers and Berry. They had great linebackers and their D line might be one of the best in the game. They had the best running back in the game with a good backup in Kniles Davis, and decent wide receivers in Bowe and Avery. Their head coach was tried and true. I just don’t get it. Why were they a first round, wild card exit? Let’s see…. what else am I missing here. Secondary…. check. Linebackers…. check. D line…. check. Running backs….. check. Wide receivers….. check. Oh yeah….. qb. Their qb sucked! That’s it! How could I forget. You really, really need one of those in the playoffs, don’t you? Kaep, Russell, Peyton and Brady? “Is it any wonder…. [Alex] got tooooooo much time on his hands……” EVERYBODY NOW!!!!!! ALEX GOT TOOOOOOO MUCH TIME ON HIS HANDS!!!! Good damn I hate that guy for one reason and one reason only…. he brought out the stupidity in the 49er fan base. Anyone who thought that guy was taking us to the promise land was stone cold stupid.

• Flavor says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……..

He got us 2 2nd Rd Picks Spit.
      Baalke made the best use of Cap dollars with a Trade that helped Alex, and SF, for the better.
      Alex did enough to win that game vs Indy when all was said and done.
      KCs Defense disappeared in crunch time.

Give credit to the Indy Coordinators for closing the door on them too.
      Don’t forget, KC lost JCharles early in that matchup.
      Dealt a major blow to their abilities to milk the clock when the running game came up empty.

With a 28 point lead, Andy Reid didn’t have many options to play ball control or, he chose not to.
      Can’t put that on Alex.

Anyone who brings it up a year after the fact is a bona fide dumb fuck no-brained troll.

No luck trolling the Merc? Or did they ignore your endless blather?

My theory regarding the Roman Offense has been, one of taking small steps, toward a more diverse attack.
    Early on, with limited options at WR, Roman had to adjust.
    As Rookies became acclimated and, other options returned, he has been slowly working them all into the Plan.

Once you put your games on film, the elements of surprise are no longer to your advantage.
    By using the deception game, with multiple formations and varying personnel, each guy learns his responsibilities.
    Losing Bruce created a speed bump for VMcD.
    Then, losing Tuk early yesterday, stymied our rhythm somewhat.
    All that matters is, Roman doesn’t take a One-Size-Fits-All approach to the game.

I trust that he’ll have plenty of new wrinkles waiting for the right opportunities on Sunday.
    Again, I’d be anxious to see QPat, LMJ and VMcD and perhaps Kassim Osgood, have some special plays added to their list of responsibilities in Seattle.

Patton has come around since his injuries. He’s made the plays asked of him and his block sprung Kappy on the TD run. Vance has made a few blocks, but he’s underwhelming. LMJ? I keep hoping they sketch out some plays for him.

Did we ever figure to see Tuk making a pass reception Chuck?
      Roman plays the matchups game.
      Tuk on a CB was master stroke no one saw coming.
      Too bad he couldn’t deliver the blow and get a head of steam before the awkward tackle attempt did him in.

This game in Seattle is a sell out game.
      All hands, every wrinkle in the arsenal, have to be available for this one.
      Time for the Secret Playbook.

I’d expect to see that TE Screen play utilized a bit more too.
      Take it to Sherm’s side and flatten that punk.

Yeah that was up there with weird plays of the year. The thing about it though is they finally are giving Kappy outlets when the downfield coverage is good. It can get you 12-15 yards as opposed to Kappy risking getting levelled.

Everyone keeps harping on Kappy;s inability to read and make his progressions, but I saw at least 3 plays where he looked off Keuchly to get the ball to Crabs and Boldin.

QPat is coming along.
      VMcD is slow on the receiving trust list but, has been doing an excellent job in the blocking game, something he wasn’t known for at Rice.
      He’s coming.
      Gotta execute in the Noisey Kingdom Sunday.
      Could Roman have a No Huddle Package prepared?

We have to take every shot we can for this one.
      It’s about respect.
      We all want to shut those 12th Step idiots up. Once and for all.
      Nothing would sound better to me, than to here nothing at the CLink, when the game is over.

Kaep has been rattled up there.
      Protections and audibles suffer.
      Have to counter the advantage they gain with quick take offs at the snap.
      They bust the plays before there’s a chance to develop them.

High time to break the streak of bad performances up there.

Doom for the Legion of Goons.

Ron Rivera and Shula Jr, got to the playoffs by calling Greg Roman plays then. They called their strength, we just beat them. We watch film, too.

The failed fourth down conversion try cost them nothing. We went three and out and they answered with a TD. It was a good gamble for the situation and football-stupid as Berger makes Rivera and Shula out they’ve made a living on it this year, and so has Roman, despite the flaming from his betters on the blogs.

The failed fourth down conversion try cost them nothing. We went three and out and they answered with a TD. It was a good gamble for the situation and football-stupid as Berger makes Rivera and Shula out they’ve made a living on it this year, and so has Roman despite the flaming from his betters on the blogs.

fun stat of the day: Kap already has more career road playoff wins than Peyton. lqtm

Amazing that Manning has been so poor in the playoffs. Also amazing that Kap is doing so well on the road. I don’t think most fans appreciate how hard it is to win on the road in the playoffs, Niners are in a great position to get back to the dance BECAUSE of Kap, not inspite of him. Kid has been clutch.

Oh, and Flav, in regard to your question re Manning and Brady head to head.

It’s is 10-4 in favor of Brady.

NJ, I’m completely down with speeding up out game at the LOS. I think waiting til the clock runs down plays right into Seattle’s hands as they can get a hard jump off the line.

I also think that these last 3 road games have given the team a sense that they can win on the road, and can win up north. Score early and take them out. They get real quiet when down by 10.

Interesting stuff

Yeah, I’ve said the same for a couple years now. And he misses one very big thing. Gore is one of the best blocking RBs in the history of the game. He has saved his QBs from decimation about 5,000 times. Something that always gets overlooked.

Just ask Steve Young if a solid blocking back is important. He plays 2-3 more years if not for Lawrence Phillips.

I asked during the last game “Why don’t the Niners have a hurry up Offense?” or better yet, No Huddle?

I think Harbaugh is too controlling to have a no Huddle, he wants to see how the D lines up.

I wonder if it’s because of Kappy’s relatively few starts. I have no idea if he ran no-huddle at UNR but you’d think he did.

I can’t believe the Niners would not have a no-huddle offense of some sort. Doubt it would be much good, though, since even with a huddle, they can’t seem to get their plays off…

Yup. I just don’t understand why they feel the need to make it so difficult to get plays off. Using all the clock time makes shit worse. I think Seattle would be caught way off guard if the Niners could get plays off with 10-12 seconds on the play clock.

21. twinfan1 says:

I don’t know if this was already noted but a federal judge has thown out the 765 million settlement that NFL agreed to pay 4500 ex-players
    “In a ruling issued Tuesday, Judge Anita B. Brody of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania rejected the proposed settlement because the league and the plaintiffs’ lawyers had not produced enough evidence to convince her that $765 million would cover the potential costs for 18,000 retirees over the 65-year life of the agreement.”
    The players’ lawyers have said that economists and actuaries they hired said that there would be sufficient money available., but they didn’t provide supporting evidence. Stay tuned. In a better society than ours, people would be going to prison over this

• twinfan1 says:

I meant that the NFL lawyers have said there was sufficient money available.

Twinfan1 – The NFL has but one option on that topic.
        Guarantee the Funds, through some form of recognized funding vehicle.
        Should the NFL ever go bankrupt during that span, a financial fund has to be available to see it through.

Sounds simple I’m sure, but, the Judge is correct in combing through the language, to assure that this isn’t some loosely worded proposal, that gives the NFL an out in the future.
        No hiding behind bankruptcy loopholes.

• snarkk says:

I congratulate the judge on this. Seemed to me from the get go that $765M was chump change for the number of bodies involved. As far as guarantee, were I the players I’d require the funding all up front into an escrow account managed by a trustee group with delineated parameters of investment to insure money was available for future pay out….

In a country where money talks and affluenza is considered a real malady, well there you go. The NFL is all about CYA.

No doubt in my mind that the League will, at some point, force language into Player Contracts that would put the potential concussion effects into some sort of waiver clause.

Up to the Players’ Union to protect them from that.
      No different than a tobacco company slapping a warning on a pack of cigarettes.

It’s all Lawyer-ease (sleaze) to me.

CBAs circumvent traditional application of Employer/Employee negotiations and the ability to enforce workplace related job hazards I’m sure.

Watch what happens with A-Roid Vs. the MLBPA and MLB for a taste of what’s coming.
      The Skankees are looking for any leverage they can find, to get out from under a ridiculous Contract they entered into with a cheater, who’s testing the limits of the Drug Testing System.
      Suing everyone involved could bring a real focus on just how strong the System is in terms of applicable workplace rules.
      Lawyers Vs. Lawyers = Higher Costs for everyone else.

What a bunch of bovine scatology. Plenty of others bang their heads for money and no one’s having a fit over it or even demanding better gear or protection. Meanwhile MMA is ABOUT beating a man’s head by whatever means possible as violently as possible. Never mind boxing and other head-contact sports.

I’d say people that were lied to about their medical conditions or the risks involved with repeated exposure should have some claim to compensation. Those other folks that thought slamming their heads into each other and/or the ground would be fun and profitable should have to bear most of the responsibility themselves.

There are still today plenty of players that would keep playing through concussions except for the team forcing them to sit out.

In a better society we would take responsibility for the things that are our responsibility instead of looking for a scapegoat and a free ride as soon as we find ourselves in a bad situation of our own doing.

Last time for those geni who don’t know it yet, playing football can get you and others hurt.

“Here’s a million dollars a year, wanna play?”

You’re right NoFear49er.
      I’ve never heard or seen the language involved with the MMA, so you make a good point.
      What sparked this litigation in the NFL, I’d wager is, the boatloads of money the Players of this era have obtained in comparison to the early generation of Players who made the game what it is today.

This goes directly to my point about Lawyers and higher costs to the rest of us.
      Had the NFL Elite taken precautions and, done right by their early generation of Players, this action may have been avoidable.
      No different than any Pharma Corporation hiding known side effects from a product in the name of shareholders and profits.

When you’re an ex-Player with dimentia and, a good Lawyer can find a loophole to expose, the smell of all that NFL money is too attractive not to attack.
      Sure, plenty of the earlier generation Players would have played for free to some extent.
      The same could be said for many of today’s Players.

If Ownership would have been more fair in their dealings with the NFLPA, this certainly could have been avoided.
      Greedy Owners getting rich off the Players for far too long IMO.

Show me an NFL Owner struggling to turn a profit in this game and, I’ll show you a good Accountant hidng the truth for him.
      TV money has gone through the statusphere over the years.

The real challenge now will be, to validate the true post career health damages, from those that simply squandered their money and are looking to profit off the backs of those that truly are in need.

Enter…. more Lawyers.

Which is why it’s conceivable that this Judge is challenging the Settlement Offer.
        Owners may decide somewhere down the road that the cost of doing business in the NFL isn’t profitable enough.
        Once the revenue streams diminish, the Big Boys at the top turn tail and run with the profits.
        Screwing the employees is the Corporate motto in the modern era.

Hey NJ49er,

I don’t think it’s quite the same as a drug company selling you something. There are plenty of hazardous jobs out there that folks seek out for various reasons. Most folks are happy and even anxious to see the military take it in the shorts compensation-wise and are currently being mandated to do more while taking cuts in compensation that was already promised. No one in an uproar over that. What’s the difference? Oh yeah, these guys are getting hurt playing a game, a few months a year on Sunday afternoons while becoming millionaires, overnight for some.

Your point to the Military is the perfect comparison NoFear49er.
      It appalls me too.

You, and many others, were promised compensation for your risks and contributions.
      The bureaucrats at the top of the food chain are notorious for stepping on the little guys in the end.
      Pisses me off to no end.

All about greed and disregard for common human decency.
      The almighty bottom line is more important than human sacrifice.

Hard to compare football to Military sacrifices for sure but, it is about screwing the little guy IMO.
      Money and Power delude the ability to think fairly.

Same scenario with the Employer Sponsored Pension Plan systems of yester-year going to 401k-type vehicles of today.

Tying your retirement years to the Wall St Greed Machine.
        Looks good on the monthly statements so long as the gamblers at the top invest it properly.
        Sucks for everyone when they don’t.
        Sorry, we had a bad year. But the Execs will get their bonuses.
        Tell that to the folks that can’t afford to work anymore and depend on that retirement check to survive.

The whole damn system is out of control.

Too easy to hide behind the Lawyers, Accountants and Politicians.
        Corruption wears many layers of protection.

I saw it said here that if the military guys don’t like the way they’re treated they shouldn’t sign up. I guess that logic doesn’t extend to football players. Anyway, you’re right about greed driving the process. I think there may be a little disagreement about who is the greedier though. I’ll also agree that the players are the pawns here. The money is between the lawyers chasing it from both ends.

Another of the things that bother me about this is that a judge says an agreement between the two parties is not fair to one. WTF? Nothing like rendering the years of negotiating and the right to make a contract between two parties worthless. Let’s cut to the chase, judge. What is it you will approve? Let’s go from there and save everyone some time in this farce of fleecing the deep pockets. The point that keeps coming up that shows this whole thing for the robin hood deal it is, is that the NFL’s gross take is always a main part of the discussion.

That’s the rub NoFear49er, they lose sight of the objective.
      Sure, no one knew 30 years ago that repeated head trauma from the Sport could cause long lasting health issues today.
      Hard to place blame at the feet of ownership for not knowing what they didn’t know.

What rubs me wrong is, now that it’s been identified and there’s a Union trying to provide assistance for their legacy members, ownership attempted to hide revenues in an attempt to damage the process.

With the massive successes of the game and, the opportunity to foster good will going forward, greedy owners did what greedy owners typically do, cry poverty.

Sad commentary all around.

• Berger says:

I guess you forgot that the owners wanted to give more money to the retired players in the last CBA but the current players and union balked. Seems they wanted that money for themselves. Who’s greedy, just the owners? Hmmm. The NFL’s problem is they are a cash cow and everybody wants a piece. Enter the lawyers, they make money no matter who wins the debate. And who is a judge, a former lawyer. The judge just made all of those lawyers a lot more money! Imagine that.

In conclusion: BLEEP……

No one said any such thing regarding soldiers here, NoFear. If anything the commentary was regarding Bush hiding behind the soldiers and 9/11 at every turn and then denying VA benefits as part of his tax cuts, and the Rebublicans holding up first responder money unless the 3% tax hike on the rich was waived back in 2010.

As far as the NFL goes, even Ditka got frustrated with the end-game of the vets committee that was nominally trying to help the older players. It was just another money grab by the top of that group, and the lawyers involved. That being said, through all of this, the owners are the ones throwing up roadblocks, providing smokescreens, and generally dragging their feet when it comes to anyone taking any piece, no matter how small, of the billions upon billions of dollars that they reap.

I liken some of this to the X games. These kids are basically cannon fodder for ESPN as these guys jump, twist, and maim/kill themselves for public consumption. What happens afterwards? Well, nothing. They don’t have a union or anyone looking out for them, so they are shit out of luck when shit goes wrong. Last year we got the joy of seeing a 21 year old kid kill himself on live TV trying to do a backflip on a snowmobile. Dumb? Sure. Edgy sports fun? I guess. Point being, no one bemoans the fact that for every death there are 50-60 paralyzing accidents, and these guys are quickly replaced by other crazy kids doing crazier shit. At least the NFL players get tons of money for their risk. But they fall under the same cloak of invincibility. No one thinks this shit will happen to them.

I understand the vets of yore being compensated because the medical staff for a given team’s goal was get the guy back out there as fast as possible. Nowadays, there is enough knowledge to out there to understand the risks involved, even with the so-called safety precautions and needless penalties. Like someone said somewhere, there are going to be concussion clauses written into contracts and even if so, it won’t stop players from suing later in life when they get symptoms of brain fuckedness.

The point? Who knows? The facts are, the owners involved do not want to assume any of the risk that their ‘employees’ withstand, at the cost of losing a tiunmy fraction of the billions flooding their coffers.

Chuck, you know it was you who said it or it wouldn’t have rung your bell. That Bush was cutting VA benefits was a lie told by the liberal nutjobs and parroted as truth by the dupes who listen to them for talking points. Ask the vets if GW hid behind them or 9/11. Same with the tripe about first responder benefits. The Repubs were against giving out the benefits to all comers without vetting them. Turns out they were right. More liberal nutjob bullshit happily reported here as truth.

As far as the NFL goes: They didn’t always reap “billions upon billions.” Any revenue sharing plan should, “to be fair,” include an expense sharing component. If the teams don’t reach their projected profit levels or lose money the players take should be dinged as well. That never happens. The sixty percent share the players want for salaries should be dinged accordingly for whatever the expense of the compensation fund ends up being year by year. Then let the judge swing for the fences.

Right. It’s all a media construct. Jeezus. Spare me the tinfoil hat analysis. What never ceases to amaze me is you think there are differences between the parties. Both sides are equally culpable. The Rebublicans are just more overt about it.

If you listen to the owners, they never reach their projections. Because they don’t have to open their books. The players don’t get a pass either, but in the end they will be affected as they are denied the benefits they themselves didn’t pass on to their forebears.

New thread is up . . .