Victory ! ! ! A Dish Best Served VERY Cold . . .

In a thrilling see-saw battle in the frozen dirt of Lambeau Field, the 49ers pulled out a taut and exciting game as Phil Dawson put the finishing touches on a 23-20 victory with a 33 yard FG that magically went BETWEEN the outstretched arms of would be Packer savior Devon House. Strangely enough, there WAS an offisdes penalty called on him that was neither discussed or shown during the broadcast.

Either way, a game that will become part of the NFL lore if not for the weather, but another example of the recent history of the Niners having the Packers number. For the 2nd straight year, the Niners opened the season with a victory over Green Bay, and for the 2nd year in a row, the Niners ended Green Bay’s playoff hopes. For all the talk of the Pack being a weak playoff team this year, and them backing in at 8-7-1, Aaron Rodgers put that to rest with some inspired play. He constantly escaped pressure. Most notably on a 4th and 2 play where he escaped the grasp of Ray McDonald (and a major hold on the play), and completed a 26 yard pass to continue their last TD drive. Eddie Lacy also had a big game as he rushed for 88 yards and did his best impression of Marshawn Lynch.

Pack Killer Colin Kaepernick (he must haunt their dreams) threw and ran his way to more than 300 yards of total offense. Michael Crabtree had a game for the ages as Green Bay once again overracted to the previous game. In Kappy’s 1st Green Bay game, he slashed them for over 180 yards on the ground. Game 2 saw Green Bay focus solely on containing Kappy, who then torched them for over 400 yards in the air with new weapon Anquan Boldin. Green Bay response was to then bracket Boldin all night. This left Crabs in single coverage most of the time. He merely had 8 catches for 125, and an absolute game saver on 3rd and 10 on the final drive. Kappy was flushed from the pocket, and rolling left, threw a dart that was just barely in reach of Crabs. He grabbed it for a 17 yard gain, and a 1st down. He also hit Crabs on a 30 yard pass on the opening drive, which led to a field goal (among a lot of non-PI calls).

So, instead of the Niners going big on the ground, or going big in the air, they did enough of both to beat the Pack. Gore was ‘held’ to 66 yards, but his contributions were huge. His 10 yard scoring run erased a 7-6 Packer lead, and his final drive carries for 15 yards don’t sound impressive, but he got a huge 1st down on 3rd and 3 to allow the draining of the clock.  Kappy of course had 98 yards on the ground, and a beautiful 28 yard strike to VD in the 4th quarter to erase another Packer lead.

The FG is NUTS. Check this out:

fieldgoalalmostblocked

On to Carolina!

About these ads

133 Responses to Victory ! ! ! A Dish Best Served VERY Cold . . .

There are plenty of things to criticize in this win yesterday, but getting it done isn’t one of them. Certainly will go down as one of the Niners’ classic wins. Regardless of how it got done, getting a playoff W in those arctic conditions in front of the Lambeau lunatics, and with Rodgers in action is a huge plus, and a springboard of confidence into Carolina…

You mmight have to click on the gif to make it go.

Unreal.

Chuck in response to the previous thread. thats what I said when Sing decided not to keep Martz. If Sing could have met Martz just half way the Niners would have been awsome!! So you don’t think Roman is going anywhere soon as a HC?

We looked more “comfortable” in the weather yesterday than the Packers did. We coulda beat ‘em in O/T, too, if need be.

The problem with the time-outs is when they’re wasted and result in limiting your options later in the game. CK7 not having his play decoder binder strapped on like his helmet after the break was a screw up that wasted a time-out.

That’s funny that folks are hoping for Roman’s departure as we head further into the playoffs for the third year with different QBs and through various player injuries and such.

13-3, 11-4-1, 12-4… with such a lousy play caller. Could be most fans know shit.
    btw, need to go back to Seifert days for 36 wins in three years I think, nevermind in the first three years. But then again if there had been bloggers I’m pretty sure they’d have been bitching about it then, too.

• Berger says:

This from the guy that thinks Mike Nolan was a great head coach.

• NoFear49er says:

…and this from the guy who said Nolan will never coach again. Hahaha, I know you have a hostile relationship with facts so to reiterate my position, I share an opinion with most others in the actual pro football business that Nolan is a good coach.

What’s the matter? Getting bored over there at the Alex house of worship? Just you and a couple rats now? Guess you can take the rest of the season off now, except for back-peddling on the Roman’s a bum thing. Need to veer toward the middle of the road about now, don’t ya?

• Berger says:

I’m standing right here in the middle of the road now. Two things I don’t see is you or Nolan coaching a team. I do not remember saying Nolan will never coach again, but if I did so far I am accurate. The best he can do so far is DC and vanilla ice cream eater.

• NoFear49er says:

I don’t know anyone anywhere who works harder at trying to convince folks he knows everything than you. I guess only the rats are still buying that cheese. Keep peddlin’ buddy.

• Berger says:

Keep obfuscating and saying northing.

I stand by my thoughts, NoFear. The jumbo package is horseshit if you run out of it. Especially on the goal line. They went away from the jumbo on the goal line. Instead, they threw out of multi-WR sets down at the goal line. My point is, don’t line up and tip off the play you are running. Putting in 4 WRs and you think pass. That’s what they did. The anti-jumbo. It didn’t work in the red zone. Granted a couple of those plays resulted in Crabs getting mugged, but the refs flags were frozen into their pockets, so we didn’t get the calls.

I don’t profess to know everything or have the correct call for every situation, NoFear. But I sure as fuck can see a jumbo formation and think run. Or see 4 WRs and think pass. So can most DCs. If you can’t figure that out, well. . . . tough shit dot com.

6. Chico says:

That gif is crazy, but he was offsides and it wouldn’t have mattered. http://deadspin.com/the-packers-were-this-close-to-going-into-overtime-1495190045

7. Chico says:

It wouldn’t bother me if Roman got another job.

It’s likely we threw because everyone was expecting us to run. It seems to me we threw for a couple of three and outs yesterday, IIRC. Only that doesn’t cause the uproar and knee-jerk fan reaction that failed runs do.

We do throw from the so-called “jumbo formation”, too. One of the problems I see with our offensive scheme is so many personnel sub packages, so many alignments and so many motions. Way too much to call in the huddle and way too much for the players to keep straight. All of these are designed to make it difficult for the defense to know what play is coming. But you always do?

It’s not always a run up the middle, in fact that’s probably in the minority of plays run. You “know” it’s a run, but you don’t know who carries the ball, which side or which hole or how it’s getting blocked, and truthfully you’re not 100% it is a run at all.

We throw out a new play with a new personnel sub package and block it poorly and everyone cries about the play calling, as we keep winning.

Again NoFear, running out of the jumbo package, whether left, right, up, down, or sideways is still a run out of the jumbo package. More often than not it doesn’t work. At least on 3rd and short. Which is my contention.

Mike Singletary’s whole existence was based on that style of play. Besides, we throw very rarely out of that.

And my glaringly obvious point also was throwing out of the 4 WR sets on the goal line is the same self-defeating idea. You spread the field on the goal line and the LBs drop into coverage. Harder to throw into coverage, eh? Pack the line, send fucking Staley out. Or Tukuafu. Or (gasp!) Vance McDonald. They tried shit to Crabs but he was covered. VD is always doubled down close. 4 WRs? That is when you should try a run. It’s elementary.

I’m with you, Chico. I just hope Harbaugh doesn’t ping David Shaw . . .

Interesting, IMO, info and vids on the footballs used in Super Bowls and other NFL games…

Everyone should have heard Brent Jones on KNBR just now. He said the Defense is a SB quality unit. But the offense only looked good. The time outs really pissed him off. He says the Niners should be able to put a way a team, it should not be a nail biter. He did give the Niners koodos for having to play in that cold weather. His other assessment of Kaep, he noticed that when Kaep read man coverage he made the decision to run, he knew once he got past the DL he was home free. When heh read zone coverage he knew he would have VDavis open. He loved it when Kaep knew when he should run. Hopefully the Coaching staff does not mess with that aspect of Kaeps game.

• Flavor says:

I heard it. Entertaining stuff. But this is the playoffs, games are often nail biters. And no one puts GB away, in GB, in sub zero temps.
      Nobody.

• Irish Kevin says:

Ha ha Brent must be a cool guy to hang with, what a sense of humor he has. Yeah he did give them kudos for playing in that weather. All 3 of them together is funny as hell. Love to sit Ina bar with them.

• philippinefan says:

In the long and storied history of the 9ers this is our first playoff win in GB ever- in the ice no less. Tough, great win. A tribute to Kap, Harbs and the whole team. The gods are with us.

Funny thing is, I heard an interview with Joe Staley, and he said that, every time GB scored, they said, OK we have to score a TD. So they did. Then when GB tied it they said OK we need to drain the clock and score a field goal. So they did. He then said, we have to just say that every time we get the ball and make it easier for everyone.

The Niners apparently gave T.Brown 300k in December unscheduled it seems. Trying to ease the pain for losing 2 mil?

Good idea. He got hosed and its nice they did something. I’d hope they sign him by now, but looks like they’ll wait til after the season. Or draft his replacement.

Chuck something you forgot to provide praise to Frank for was his near perfect blocking that allowed Kaep the ability to keep those game winning runs alive.
    Absolutely saved us the game.

Frank is the heart and soul of this Offense in every measurable way.
    A Pro’s Pro at the RB position.

Let’s hope he gets The Ring in February for all his hard work.

Nj, Frank is way beyond indispensable. I’ve said many times he should go to the HOF for his blocking alone. Throw in 10,000 yards and 60 touchdowns, he should be a lock.

Fla St scored too fast.

My new favorite radio station is 95.7 the game. One of the guys was talking about Gore (no idea who they are) and he said the Gore is one of the most underappreciated 49er greats of all time.

I sort of agree. People that know football know how good the guy is. I think he should go in 1st ballot.

17. Glad our “local boy” Kap is making good after “locals” Brady and Rodgers got away without a contract from the Niners. It’s time one of our own makes good, win big for our guys. Loved the way Kap took over, put the team on his back with passing and running and snuffed the Pack. The pigskin gods are with us!

There’s a guy on my Draft List – WR Kelvin Benjamin

This coming game in Carolina is going to rely heavily on our OLine.

Have to stop a much better Dline than we had to in GB.
    And, they’re rested.

For all you Alex Smith lovers, just keep this in mind – Colin Kaepernick went into Green Bay in frozen conditions and won. Alex Smith lost at home. That’s why we dumped Smith. No more Alexcuses.

umm, not really.

They played in Indy.

• Spitblood says:

Oh wait…. Alex Smith wasn’t at home? WELL HE SURE AS HELL IS NOW!!!!
        HAHAHAHA. Classic Troll. I’ve still got it.

Hey Spit.
        Give me your opinion on FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin.
        I’m Scouting WRs for our 9ers.
        He’s in the picture for me.

• Spitblood says:

NJ- Coming out two years ago all the talking heads said Alshon Jeffrey was too slow off the line and he’d be better suited as a TE. I said whatever. Alshon should have been our pick. Period. Why? Because tall guys who can play, regardless of their speed, are at a premium in the NFL because everyone’s got a 5′ 11″ DB on their team somewhere (we have Whitner). Benjamin might not become Alshon Jeffrey, but he’ll be good in the redzone, and that’s all that matters. Forget the combine. He’s big and tall and he’ll make the redzone much easier for the team that drafts him. He’ll also be clutch when needing to move the chains. I say he’s a first rounder. But I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the NFL brains like Trent Baalke talk themselves out of a quality first rounder and he falls into the second.

Yeh Spit there’s some major upside to Benjamin in terms of height.
        There’s some excellent options coming from the WR Group this Spring.
        We should do well this time around.

We’ll talk more about that process over the next few months.
        We’ll see for ourselves with the Sr Bowl and Combines etc.
        I’ve got close to a dozen guys that I want to get more work done on.

• Berger says:

Spitty is correct. he was heavily on the Alshon band wagon. Why do I remember that, because I was too. I especially liked him when he got too competitive in his bowl game and got kicked out for punching back. He wasn’t out of control like many, he was just trying to win. I worry a little about Benjamin dropping some passes but he does make some nice catches when it counts. Keep an eye on Allen Robinson from Penn St.

@Spit!! How the hell are ya??? Ha ha still showing love for Alex I see, and you still can’t get the facts straight. If the Niners offense scored 44 points but my defense gave up 45, I blame that loss on the D!! Your D gives up a 28 point half time lead?? That is also onthecoaching staff. I don’t blame Alex for that game at all.

22. LOL where the hell has Spitblood been this season. missed that guy around here. Never too late to join the food fight. Alex did great in KC but no D will sink ya in the playoffs- and most regular games. You think Kap woulda won in GB with the KC defense? You know better than that.

Lost in all the hoopla about Brees and Co, winning a Playoff Road game in Philly the other night, was the loss of LB Parys Haralson.

Tall order for them to succeed in Seattle vs Marshawn Lynch with a depleted LB unit.
    We can only hope for Seattles’ demise and, our own success in Carolina this weekend.

In conclusion: BLEEP the cold on to Carolina. I wonder if Dennis is going to pick Carolina for a win.

We need a speed guy. We have enough big WRs. Although Fresburg St Bulldog Davante Adams looks like a guy that may slip to us in the 2nd with all the other WRs out there.. 6’2″ 215. Another local kid. Good route runner. Fast enough I guess.

Irish, in response tro your earlier question, Roman is getting interviewed by the Vikes and the Lions for the HC vacancies. I’m of a mind to let him go (take my OC. Please), barring the replacement the brain trust comes up with.

The running joke is they hire David Shaw and it gets worse.

• snarkk says:

I wouldn’t cry if Roman left. The team has done great while he’s here, but I don’t see a drop off should he leave. The key is Harbaugh is an offensive guy. Consistency would continue, with hopefully a shakeup in conservative approach and head scratching red zone play calls. Under Sing and Nolan, they were defensive guys, so the OC merry go round was a real problem. Shaw wouldn’t leave Stanfoo to be an OC anywhere, let alone at SF — he’d take a pay cut and have to listen to Harbaugh blather on every day…

Defense is MANLY!

Manly men on a manly ship. The Raging Queen . . .

This is cool.
    Bowman miked up in the Seattle game.
    I would not want to be tackled by this dude. At 2:05 into the vid, this guy shows how FAST he is.

Here’s Boone and the OL.
    That is some badaaass action in the trenches.

Here’s Brooks. Dude is quick…

• snarkk says:

Sorry, I gave you Whitner, not Brooks. But, you can pick through that menu and find Brooks. Tough dude…

I’m reading these NFL writers out there, some are handing the Lombardi already to the Niners. Bulldust. They only have to get through Carolina and probably Seattle just to get to the damn SBowl. One at a time. This tilt in Carolina is going to be like gladiators in the Coliseum. Defenses are going to come ready to play. I hope Crabby makes the difference in this game that he has so far — it’s amazing what he’s added to the offense…

Yeah, when you get guys like Jaworski on ESPN saying things like Kaepernick could be the best QB ever, you get 20 teaspoons of hype with your morning coffee. They[‘ve also gone on record as saying Tony Romo is the best Dallas QB ever. Sure, Kappy may turn out to be all that, but don’t annoint him after 1.5 seasons of good but uneven performances.

I’m REAL interested in this Sea/No game. I don’t think NO will win, but I think they’ll put up more of a fight than last time. Sea’s a bit injured with their star LB KJ Wright out, and Luke Willson, the guy that burned P Willie a couple times, is also questionable. They keep talking about Harvin but he’s still not on the field. NO has to bring the heat. Russell Wilson’s performances have gotten less spectacular as the season has worn on, so hopefully NO can force some turnovers and take the crowd out of it.

And I can’t wait to see how the refs are going to call that game. And we will know who the next opponent is come Sunday.

Yikes, quite the scathing article regarding RG III. If only half of it is true, what a clusterfuck Washington will be for the foreseeable future.

Other news is this is the officiating crew for the Niner game:

Carl Cheffers
    Sixth season as referee, eight playoff assignment

A relative newcomer to the officiating ranks, Cheffers joined the NFL in 2000 and has yet to work a Super Bowl. His refereeing career has been largely without incident so far.

Guess that’s a good thing.

• NoFear49er says:

I thought you were all for the prima donna QB having his way and pulling all the strings just the other day.

Whatever, skippy. If this shit was up to you, we’d still be staggering under Mike Hostler and Teflon Mike Nolan.

There’s a difference between calling your own plays, and picking a head coach, isn’t there? Well? Are you sticking with this point? If you aren’t referring to that, I have no clue what your point is. You talk in circles so much I bet you can’t walk a straight line.

• NoFear49er says:

Yeah, I would have given Nolan another year. Certainly preferred him to Singletary, unlike yourself. Still playing and winning with Nolan guys by the way. For the head coach it’s all about wins and losses and Nolan didn’t deliver soon enough. That’s HCing life in the NFL. That doesn’t mean he’s not a good coach. Review your NFL coaching history and get back to me if you think it does.

I find it difficult to criticize other NFL orgs too harshly. The Niners were dogmeat for a decade under the inept “leadership” of John York — Ericson, Nolan, Sing. Sheezus…

Except for Dallas.

Yeah, even at the time Harbaugh got here, I thought we still had a couple years before we hit relevancy. I didn’t really think Dr. Kedorkian handing over the team to Jed would be that big a deal either. Turns out both brought about a sea change.

It’s amazing what hiring the right head coach did for the entire building. They went from a bunch of inept middle management types all wandering around aimlessly with no lines of communication, no coigent direction, and no real hierarchy in place to a well-oiled machine that has gone 40-13-1 in Harbaugh’s short time here.

He started out with a boatload of talent, but neither coach before him could do much with that talent.

• NoFear49er says:

Winning accounts for a lot of the “well-oiled-machine” appearance. Look at Tom Coughlin’s bunch.

Thak you Cap’t. Obvious.

• NoFear49er says:

Thak you, too!

For a guy who gets so butthurt over being called out on his bullshit you seem to have a compulsion to post contradictions. Or is that just waffling until you can figure out which way the wind blows? Don’t transfer blame to me if you can’t figure out where the middle of the road is going to be tomorrow.

Didn’t see yer comments way back there, Bergs.

A few guys I like are Robinson and the 2 guys froim LSU, Beckham and Landry.

Tons of guys out there at WR.

Loved those links, Snarkk. Great stuff.

• snarkk says:

Cool, UR welcome. I hadn’t really navigated much on the Niner site before. Of course, it’s self serving as hell. But, the miked up vids are pretty cool, give a flavor of how the games are just flat out crazy violent and nuts. It’s a wonder how anything organized gets done in the middle of all that madness. I’ll tell ya, I had respect for the dudes on the O and D lines before, but when you see that fight go on in the trenches on every snap, the respect for those monsters increases. How any of those guys could come outta that life without physical problems would be a miracle. I loved the one sequence of Boone taking a Ram safety and just throwing him aside like a rag doll…

Ironically, the farther we go in the playoffs, the less likely it is for the assistants to land a good promotion.

Oh, I’m sure a few more HCs will lose their jonbs in the coming weeks. Dennis Allen was supposed to talk to Prince Valiant today. Haven’t heard if he got the heave-ho.

37. Relax ladies we are winning the Super Bowl I repeat for the third time here. It has nothing to do with luck, the force, fate or alignment of the stars. Since beating the Seattle boys our guys have been in playoff mode with a ‘lose and go home mentality’. Nothings changed in the past month except the emergence of Crabtree. We will not lose again this season. 16-4, 6th Lombardi in the bag.

My prognostication Niners beat Panthers 24-20

Maiocco answers a question about excessive crowd noise and the ref applying a 5 yd penalty to quiet the crowd down:
    That rule was eliminated from the NFL rulebook in 2007. –Matt M.

Let’s hope our GB game is the first W of the 4 steps needed to hoist Lombardi in NJ in February.
    We’ve proven ourselves worthy of a cold weather venue.

I just wonder why there seems to be so much interest among actual football folks that gamble with their own money and team in a hard-headed Neanderthal that doesn’t know his ass from the goalposts.

Talking Roman here NoFear49er ?

• NoFear49er says:

Yeah, that’s the guy. I’m really just making fun of the bloggers that are so intent on making Roman out a clueless football moron because he doesn’t call the plays the armchair ex-spurts think he should.

I doubt if any of them have an inkling what any particular defense is doing to us, or even the coverage they’re in on a given play or which defender we are trying to attack on a given play or scheme weakness we want to exploit. But whatever, fans bitch, and I’m a fan, too. I just think the criticism gets pretty hilarious sometimes.

• Berger says:

So NoFear is a fan of Roman’s red zone play calling? Or is he just criticizing somebody for having an opinion while protecting himself by not giving one inre to the subject being talked about? The real suspense is on. Drum roll please while NoFear tells us his opinion of Greg Roman’s play calling!!!

Roman has a Pro OC job.
        We have opinions.

Berger and I have been going around the wagon on this all night on Skeebs’ site.
        For me, Wins are the only thing that matters.
        So far, Roman, Harbaugh and Fangio have delivered.

I’ve got no complaints in that regard.

Every game is a new chess match.
        24 other teams are sitting home this weekend watching from the sofa, wishing their Coaches could be doing what our Staff is doing.

In the end, players make the plays.
        Coaches attempt to give them the matchups you refer to Nofear49er.

Gotta execute and make them count.

• NoFear49er says:

I see it that way, too, NJ49er.

Reno Berger, I’ve been commenting on that and many other things all season. You might have missed it. You may have noticed that the passing plays aren’t automatic either.

You’ve been bitching about any play caller that doesn’t spread the formation on every play with an empty backfield for years. So what? Just because that’s the game you like doesn’t make it a winning proposition and anything else the product of an idiot who has to “learn” and “evolve” until he sees things exactly like you do.

If you want to debate the differences make your case and answer your critics. If you can’t defend it without resorting to the name-calling maybe it wasn’t worth a shit to begin with. If you think that your opinion is the only one worth a damn, what’s the point?

I take my shots to change his views NoFear49er :)

He experiments with quite the varieties of beer, while I’m pretty loyal to my brand, so I know he’s capable of keeping an open mind in that regard.
      I may have gotten him to budge on Roman, (just a little) through my efforts however.

He’s not using the word HATE as much.

Of course, in his opinion, I (we) hate Alex when I criticize him at times too.

We need to get Berger to relinquish the HATE word and, learn to be a little more open minded to those of us who attempt to bring constructive criticism to the table.

He’s a challenge but, I think I’m wearing him down :)

Something else I’ve noticed too.
        We both think like NTs.

Gotta keep pounding to earn respect in the trenches.

• Berger says:

NJ- When Del, NoFear and RT say negative stuff about Alex it is funny. They have declared their anti Smith feelings and back it up. When somebody says they are not a hater and blames the KC loss on Alex leading Bowe out of bounds I see contradiction and selling your point by telling us you are an independent. I had to call you out.

You have not worn me out on Roman. If you go back to the beginning of the stream of Roman hatred by me, you will see I have never waivered on my stance. He is a bad play caller who is improving. He still is dangerous to our team in the red zone. He is old fashioned and does not want to easily relinquish his power of decision making to the QB. He understand football very well. What it seems he doesn’t want to do is change what brought him to the dance. I can understand that. What is frustrating is the slowness of the transition from an 80s play caller to what works in today’s game. Defenses know how to stop 80′s play calling. It works in college but the talent in the pros is more even from team to team. I have faith in Harbaugh to give Roman a QBs perspective. Problem is Harbaugh has a little evolving to do too from his background of Schembechler and Ditka. Luckily, he did have Tom Moore.

Jim loves his power football, and I love the running game too with the exception that I am so sick of jumbo I cringe when I see it. I wouldn’t go away form it completely but it would be more of a specialty if it were up to me. My base formation would be 3 WR, one TE and one RB. And I would try my best to have a good running game. Since NoFear is trying to tell people how I think, let him know this is it.

• Berger says:

NoFear says: “You’ve been bitching about any play caller that doesn’t spread the formation on every play with an empty backfield for years.” This statement is factually false. I have never advocated for what you say I advocate for. ‘The Central Scrutinizer obfuscates again.

Outside of calling you the Central Scrutinizer, show me where I called you names. Calling you The Central Scrutinizer is not name calling, It is very descriptive of your condescending style. I try to be respectful. When somebody gives me a shove, at some point I shove back. Since you like shoving you get shoved back.

When you try to broadcast what I think please try tell the truth.

GO NINERS!

From NoFear:

“Do you think his OCs getting promoted out from under him every year hurt at all, genius?”

Who, pray tell are you referring to? Jim Hostler? Yeah, losing McCarthy was a setback. As was Turner. Turner had the team going in the right direction, But Nolan losing his OCs was a detriment to the coach but not the quarterback? Got it. Reconcile that.

Nolan lost the team. Plain and simple. The sooner you accept this fact, the better. The players knew what Alex went through with trying to play through the shoulder injury, and getting called out by Nolan. And how many games has he been a head coach since he left? And where did his defense rank this year?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

And regarding the red zone offense. You of course take what is being said as mixing things up to mean run 5 WR formations every play regardless of the situation. In other words, your usual reductio ad absurdum argument.

• Berger says:

Losing an OC every year was bad. Nolan made it much worse by changing the type of offense we ran every year. A little consistency would have helped a lot.

I would have liked to see Alex healthy for when Martz was here. I think he would have done well. At least Hill did well in that system.

If Nolan hadn’t lost his team at that point he might have had something going. I think throwing Arnez Battle under the bus in the summer was his beginning of the end. It is hard to believe the players didn’t take notice after the Smith debacle. Blaming Ann Killion for his losing games was the punch line he exited stage left with a hat and cane in hand, still dancing away!

• philippinefan says:

But the clown Singletron that ownership ushered in (Jed) after the poser/vaudeville act Nolan exited marked our real bottom. She never got any lower than that. Nolan was not the worst

And Eddie hired Joe Thomas who engineered the similar mess Walsh fixed. Singletron is Jed’s Joe Thomas and we long ago turned the corner from that rookie mistake. And in both instances the Niners have gone on to glory. This will become more obvious in a few weeks to those blinded by the dark of our previous decade of futility. Wake up children the bad dream is over

It’s so nice to get along. BLEEP!

Damn we are still debating Nolan and Singletary as Quality HC’s? Lets be perfectly clear here. Nolan and Sing were excellent defensive minded coaches. The defensive players they drafted, some are still here and we do have a SB qualtity Defense. But Nolan had no clue on how to run the offense or how to treat the Player on Offense. Singletary wanted a run oriented game due to the fact he playes on the Bears while Walter Payton was there. well the Niners did not have a Walter Payton and the game was/is completely changed now. I said this earlier if Mike S could have just given into Martz’s offense Singletary might still be here and the Niners might have won a SB by now. But he was a stubborn old coot. There are HCing jobs open right now, how many teams are burning up Nolan or Singletary phone??? right NONE.

Off the top of my head, Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis and Joe Staley were Nolan adds on the offensive side.

He just got extended for two in Atlanta. You won’t find too many across the league that think badly of Nolan’s coaching save some Kawakami acolytes or die-hard poor-Alex sycophants from the BA.

46. twinfan1 says:

Well, Smith and Nolan have both landed on their feet, Nolan got extended and the Chiefs are reportedly planning to give Alex an extension this off season.
    BTW, if the Squirrel Brains are not your cup of fertilizer tea, try the Cuy Bien.

I always had the sense Nolan was grasping at straws on offense. When did Justion Smith get here? That was Nolan, wasn’t it? He didn’t screw up the whole thing, just the head coaching part of it. His personnel decisions were solid for the most part.

• twinfan1 says:

It was the year Nolan was fired and Singletary took over, 2008. So yeah, Nolan got him.

• twinfan1 says:

I’ll get my picks in early- San Diego is my sleeper pick for the postseason
        SD 31 Denver 27
        NE 28 Indy 13
        SF 20 Carolina 10
        This one might be a hope, so we get one last playoff game at the ‘Stick
        NO 24 Seattle 17

• NoFear49er says:

Nolan was the guy who talked Justin Smith into coming here. Then he had to try to talk the area sportswriters into buying him as a good addition. Most, like Kawakami, panned it as most everything with Nolan attached to it.

Fact is, Nolan designed (fundamentally) the team Harbaugh is winning with now. Does he get any credit? No, he’s the guy we were all told to hate. So many sheep.

Boo hoo. he still sucks as a head coach. And until or if he gets another shot, he’ll be forever 17-34 as a head coach. I’ve given him plenty of props as a talent evaluator, and he inherited a bad deal when he got here, but 3.5 years later, he was going backwards.

Everyone knows this. Why must you cling to Teflon Mike? HE couldn’t win with his guys. Why do you forever point to Nolan as some sort of railroaded talent who was jobbed? He was in over his head, and lost his team. Mainly by his own doing.

Let it go.

If the reports are correct it seem’s Roman interviewed for the Penn St HC position. Also the Niners have lost another assistant coach:

• philippinefan says:

No problem Harbaugh has a list a mile long of replacement candidates. As has been proven he’s pretty good in getting top notch coaching talent. Shit he’ll have David Shaw salivating at the prospect of running the Sardine Can as OC. I know Chuck will love this

I can see SD getting past Denver. They just beat them at their house a few weeks ago. Plus there’s the Philly factor. The last 4 super bowl winners were Philly’s home opening opponent. This year was San Dawg.

Anyhow, I’d love to see the Niners play here one more time, but I don;t think that happens. NE wins easily over Indy.

50. barleyfreak says:

My guess is only one road team wins this weekend.

SF.

Berger I never said Alex lost that game by leading Bowe out of bounds.
    I simply said that specific throw led Bowe out of bounds while questioning whether the Safety had even gotten to the right hash on said throw.

The scab I pick with you is the fact that you immediately labeled me a hater.
    Alex missed the RB on the right sideline in the same game.
    It’s always about ‘what if’ the throw was better?
    Then, the incompletion isn’t an incompletion is it?
    I questioned throws Kaep made on Sunday in GB, again, just being objective.

I also went on record to say Alex did enough to win that game, if you’d have given me that latitude.
    Their Defense imploded.

We jaw about our team, share observations, share our views and opinions.
    I don’t intend malice by suggesting that our guys are prone to mistakes, everyone is.

It’s about football. Not hating on anyone.

Nothing I share here is personal in nature to either Alex or anyone else I comment on.
    Just busting your balls to relinquish the use of calling me a hater, for having a differing opinion is all.

• philippinefan says:

Sounds rational to me

Thanks Phil.
        I look at it this way.
        We sucked for over 8 years, mainly in the Offensive category.

Changing OCs as often as they did, had too many negative repercussions on Alex and, the Offense in general.

Sure we’ve gotten frustrated with Red Zone production with Roman but, we’re winning.
        Can’t get too bent out of shape with the results this Staff has delivered on since their arrival.

Continuity helps any unit in this game. Adding the proper pieces does as well.
        Gone is Alex, in is Kaep. Come May they’ll address other positions and so on.
        I happen to think Crabtree would’ve scored twice in GB.

Kaep turned him around on the 4th down throw, which could have easily resulted in a TD, followed by the PI that didn’t get enforced on a later throw into the End Zone.

That’s football, not necessarily play calling.

One more for nofear. Nolan paid WAY too much attention to the press and the way he was portrayed. One of his problems as a head coach. He became paranoid and noncommunicative. It affected the way he dealt with his team in the end and led to his losing the team and being fired.

New thread is up.

• NoFear49er says:

All of what you write as fact is purely conjecture. You don’t know any of that. That’s why I bring Kawakami into it. He wrote the exact things you said then and still parrot today. And none of it was ever fact.

You say let it go, as you respond twice to my reply to you. You’re the one who brought up Nolan and you’re the one who says let it go. Maybe Mr Pot and Mr Kettle are one and the same in this instance.

Another old saw comes to mind. Something about the heat in the kitchen.