Playoffs? Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS ! ! ! ! ! Week 1 of 4

Well, those were some crazy ass games today. Alex Smith matches Andrew Luck TD for TD, throws no picks to Luck’s 3, and still KC loses 45-44 after Smith and Co built up a 38-10 lead minutes into the 2nd half. Philly and NO played a more defensive battle in the cold, and NO wins their historic first road playoff win hitting the game-winning FG as time ran out 26-24.  Again, the winning QB was the one throwing picks as Foles had none, and Brees had 2. NO brought something they haven’t shown too much of, and that’s a strong run game. Something KC could have used, but lost early with Jamaal Charles leaving after the 1st series,  and the backup RB Knile Davis also going out in the 3rd quarter.

The good news for me, besides the entertainment factor of these games was the fact that the refs were for the most part in the background. There were no blown calls, and there were no game-changing mistakes from the guys in the stripes.

So, here we go. We are the last playoff game, and I think this is another exciting nail-biter. However, I think we can wear down Green Bay’s banged up defense and win this going away. 31-20 in the cold cold cold is still my call.

About these ads

266 Responses to Playoffs? Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS ! ! ! ! ! Week 1 of 4

Kinda sucks the way this next Rd is being scheduled for TV too.
    Late game for us on Sunday in the WC Rd travels again, for an early game in the Divisional Rd?

Pretty lame IMO.

I’m just happy to be there NJ, that game was too close for comfort.

You and me both 12th.
        We played a very solid game in less than desireable conditions.
        Thought they handled the elements better than the home team did in fact.

Credit to GB for standing tall despite their injuries too.
        We’re a conservative team. I’ll buy that MO so long as we continue to hang W’s.

Kaep and Crabtree getting timing back at the Most Perfect Time too.
        Both guys were $$$ today.

4th and 6th was a shock to me and probably the Packers too. Niners cut it loose in the first qtr.

Green Bay came to play that;s for sure. Rodgers is amazing at times. Lacey is the real deal too.

No doubt 12th.
        Hated to see us get into the RZone and settle for 3s again too.
        Gotta win those trips with 6.

Yeah that is the one thing that needs some work still, a couple of 7′s not 3′s makes a world of difference.

I couldn’t believe the amount of bullshit holding by the D secondary and the O line, and PIs they allowed in this game, both ways, but a bit more on the Pack side of it. Crabtree got mugged twice in the endzone early on, and all the replays of basically any pass play showed the corners practically jumping inside the unis of the wideouts. The Pack’s OLmen were basically tackling the Niner D line half the time…

I can’t complain about the refs, looked like they let both teams play fairly evenly. I prefer that to the crazy flags we have seen all year.

I hear ya Snarkk.
      At least they didn’t cost either team a W.

It’s been a running theme here and everywhere this year.
      Totally inconsistant and hard to account for, crew to crew.

I’m sure that Harbaugh and Staff have their stats on these guys and, can probably get some sort of baseline parameters on what to expect I’d imagine.

That 4th down mugging of RayMc could have killed us when the laundry didn’t fly.
      Thankfully that didn’t happen.

Right. All the games were called very clean. Til this one. It was basically a free-for-all. The hold on McDonald was extremely bad, but one of Kappy’s runs, Gore, I think, picked up a DB trying to get to Kappy. A Smith was held at least 4 times that I saw.

One thing I liked was on the TD to VD, Kappy looked left the whole time before looking to VD on the right side. The floater? Not so much.

If Seattle gets these refs, NO won’t complete a passs.

• NoFear49er says:

That’s a good one, and probably true.
      Joking aside, I think they wanted to let them play, which I much prefer to looking for a flag after every play.

Chuck the Saints need to do to Seattle what they did to Philly.
      Balance the attack and force them to account for the running game.

We all kvetch about the boring nature of our game but, it works in bad weather while opening options elsewhere.

Kaep will continue to improve. He’s got his share of bad plays like every QB does.
      He doesn’t hide from the negative results though.
      Gotta love that about the Kid.

I like the fight in him, like Andrew Luck. These kids have nuts the size of melons.

• NoFear49er says:

Hey NJ49er,
        You have to give Rob Ryan some credit there, too.

Absolutely NoFear49er, where was Shady?
        Rob and Co took away what they did best.
        DJax and Shady went AWOL.

Trust me, I’m ripping my Eagle Buddy apart out here.
        That idiot thought this was a slam dunk.
        But you can’t fault him, like most Philly Fans, they’re clueless.

They enjoyed the heck outta Andy Reid leaving too.
        All the guy did was get them into Playoff contention year after year and they ran him out.
        Loved that he came back to defeat them this season too.

They’re easily the worst fans in any agenda.

Did you see the stats with Rivers and SD Run vs Pass today in Cincy?
    Rivers yielded to the ground game and apparently caught Cincy napping in terms of game prep.
    He went a mere 12/16 all afternoon.

Playoff football is all about showing something the opposition isn’t expecting.
    That comes down to Coaching.

I’m thinking there’s going to be some job openings in Cincy real soon too.

• snarkk says:

Marvin Lewis 3 Playoffs in a row, that’s great, but one and done all 3 years. Today’s loss at home was baaaad. And, Dalton looked like he was nerved out with some of those throws. I’d say he and Lewis are definitely on the hot seat…

Dalton doesn’t see the Defense Snarkk.
        He’s running plays like a College QB.
        Does what he’s told to do, not seeing adjustments when it matters.
        It’s mental for him right now.

They’ll probably lay this on Jay Gruden.
        IMO, Zimmer didn’t stop the running attack which killed them.

I liked the way the Niners finally threw into the EZ from the RZ. 3 trips early, 1 horrible pass INT, 1 PI (oops, not), 1 I don’t recall but was probably another oops not.
    Should the Niners get a crew that actually calls it according to the rulebook, those plays garner 10-17 instead of 6.
    What did I write? “…get a crew that…”?
    OK, scratch that.

Bye Twinnie. You, like Alex and the rest of the Chiefs fans, can now relax, kick your feet up, have a beer, and watch Kappy in the playoffs.

Really? Are you 10?

• rtfirefly says:

I knew you’d come up with a Skeelit/Bullbers BS response Alex-loving remark. Twinnie’s written 100x nastier shit to me in the past, but that was OK. His darts yesterday were OK.
        You’ve written shit 100x nastier to me.
        You resorted to calling me “skippy” yesterday. Are you 5?
        I’m not allowed to write a jab now because I’m not an Alex-loving Chiefs fan? Bullshit.

Shit gets old from both sides.

Twin ain’t coming back anyway. I railed on him somewhere else. The pisser is he doesn’t post here for months, but as sooon as Smith comes up, he flamethrows everyone and tells me how to run my shit. Fuck it.

Probably too late to fix this season, but the problem getting the plays in and called is just perplexing, and dangerous. How can you come back from halftime, get the ball on the kick, and not get a play off? That’s just plain crazy. And another time in the first half, didn’t they come back from a time out and have the same problem? Not only the length of time to call the plays, but often players look confused on the line. Unacceptable. The play calling nomenclature must be simplified or number of plays called per down has to be fixed. It’s way too complicated, and must be frustrating…

The time problems getting the plays in and called are just crazy, wasting time outs like that. Must fix that next year somehow, with easier nomenclature. Kaep needs to just call the play, and suffer a busted play instead of burning timeouts…

Well, it depends on the circumstance. There are times where a TO IS warranted. I was talking to a guy on Field Gulls who was apoplectic that Pete Carroll useind a time out on a 3rd and 15 play. And I had to agree with him I’d think in that siutation, a 3rd and 20 is preferable to burning a time out.

However a 3rd and goal from the 5 I’d say you want to make sure you got your shit straight. Of course the TO doesn’t guarantee that.

BLEEP! Bring on next weekend!

The more galling thing to me about the time outs is the fact that after they called them, the plays coming OUT of them resulted in a busted play sack, and a busted play 2 yard loss to Gore. So, not only did they burn a time out, they fucked up the play coming out of it.

I had to laugh though seeing KC call a time out coming out of the 2 minute warning. I thought only we did that shit.

Looks like Greg Roman is being looked at for ther Vikings AND Redskins HC spot.

Ha ha! Stupid thing is, Sing should have rehired Mad Mike. With those 2 balancing each other out, it could have worked. Not our problem now though!

New thread is up . . .