Playoffs? Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS ! ! ! ! ! Week 1 of 4

Well, those were some crazy ass games today. Alex Smith matches Andrew Luck TD for TD, throws no picks to Luck’s 3, and still KC loses 45-44 after Smith and Co built up a 38-10 lead minutes into the 2nd half. Philly and NO played a more defensive battle in the cold, and NO wins their historic first road playoff win hitting the game-winning FG as time ran out 26-24.  Again, the winning QB was the one throwing picks as Foles had none, and Brees had 2. NO brought something they haven’t shown too much of, and that’s a strong run game. Something KC could have used, but lost early with Jamaal Charles leaving after the 1st series,  and the backup RB Knile Davis also going out in the 3rd quarter.

The good news for me, besides the entertainment factor of these games was the fact that the refs were for the most part in the background. There were no blown calls, and there were no game-changing mistakes from the guys in the stripes.

So, here we go. We are the last playoff game, and I think this is another exciting nail-biter. However, I think we can wear down Green Bay’s banged up defense and win this going away. 31-20 in the cold cold cold is still my call.

About these ads

266 Responses to Playoffs? Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS ! ! ! ! ! Week 1 of 4

1. Grumpy Guy says:

Finally called it on the next play.

So: Tied up, five left in regulation… Sudden Death pretty much starts right now.

Good stop there. GB’s empty backfield play played right into our hands.

3. Tied at 20 apiece w/ 5 mins left to go in the 4th…

Bartender!

Okay don’t go strictly run until you are in the red zone, get down there first, no 3 and out. They absolutely have to score here. Preferably a TD

5. Grumpy Guy says:

First down. Keep those chains moving and get in a groove here.

6. Grumpy Guy says:

Wasted a down trying to go deep. We need to control the ball, not score quickly and give it right back.

7. Grumpy Guy says:

Should have been a pick six and the game – now its third and long.

8. Grumpy Guy says:

Terrific catch by Crabs on a very shaky pass by Kap.

Dodged a shotgun blast there.

10. Grumpy Guy says:

First down at the 40. Use the clock… don’t leave AR anything to work with.

Comin’ down to Dawson again. Holy scheise!

Ball control plays. Don’t give it back with any time.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Have to play for the FG or TD with less than 10 seconds on the clock… as close to zero as you dare.

13. Grumpy Guy says:

If Kap has a seam on any pass play, he needs to pull it down and run…

14. Grumpy Guy says:

We have one TO left for the FG.

This is good play calling, almost there. Need to leave as little time on the clock as possible. A little early to go run only

16. Grumpy Guy says:

Shit. We don’t want to kick from here… got to convert this third down.

17. Grumpy Guy says:

There it is – got it done with the legs.

Gore saves the day, again.

19. Grumpy Guy says:

40 yarder from here. Get it in the middle for Dawson and run it out.

20. Grumpy Guy says:

QB draw here?

21. Grumpy Guy says:

Third and three, a minute left – we want to get one more FD and run it down to zero if we can.

Last GB timeout.

Get the 1st down that would put it away

The way these last two drives have gone, OT wouldn’t be the worst thing that could happen.

25. Grumpy Guy says:

Very close here, depends on the spot.

26. Grumpy Guy says:

Got it. One more run to center it, then end this shit.

27. Grumpy Guy says:

Off-tackle, but brought a few yards. Now make this kick and get the Hell out of Dodge.

28. Grumpy Guy says:

Money.

Whew. Just fucking whew. On to Carolina.

Didn’t convince anybody, but that’s been the story in the last four games.
    Hello, Carolina! Stop Cam!

Game!!

31. Grumpy Guy says:

Gore ends with 66 – but about 15 of them on that last drive were huge. Also Crabs’ catch of that wobbly third down prayer. Kap struggled again but made *Just enough* plays to get away with it.

• NoFear49er says:

He had 100 on the ground. That’s the ticket.

• Grumpy Guy says:

I know the coaches want to protect their investment, but this is the playoffs – if it’s there, you have got to let him run it now. He is the most explosive guy on the field.

• NoFear49er says:

Exactly. I understand protecting him in the regular season. But GB had no answer for CK7 pulling the ball down and taking off.

32. Kap = 2 playoff wins on the road (ATL)
    Montana = 1 (CHI)

But there’s a little matter of 3 SB wins for Joe

98/225 in -5° degree weather

10AM Mountain Time – did I hear that right?

35. twinfan1 says:

The weather wasn’t really a factor, very well played game. CK had some shaky moments but when they needed the final drive, he came thru. Another 1 or 2 tough ones loom- and two much better defenses if Seattle wins next week.

36. barleyfreak says:

At this point in the aeason winning pretty is far behind just winning. Whoa and whew indeed.

Business Insider says 11:05AM Mountain Time Sunday
    Saints-Seahahahawks 2:35PM MST Saturday

38. sandy32koufax says:

Fack! I really didn’t expect this result. Congrats, niner’s fans…

4 straight wins over Rodgers and Green Bay. Just wondering, but shouldn’t that make him our bitch now? How many in a row do we have to hang on him before he’s considered that?
    This was a hard fought win. An earned win. Very proud of this team for what they did today.

Well played Niners, well played.

41. Niners won by 3. Twin and 12 had ‘em winning by 4. Flavor and Barley had Niners by 2.

Del Mar had the Pack by 5 which gets him another boobie prize

42. twinfan1 says:

New Orleans 28-13 SD 17-14 KC 21-20 SF 21-17. Sure would have liked KC to win but I did say they better bring their defense. They didn’t listen.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Alex was pretty damned good and the D played well for one half. Unfortunately, Luck played maybe even better in the second half. Whatever I’ve criticized Alex for over the years, I don’t fault him for this. Three close games out of the four, only the Bungles rolled tits up. I count ourselves a little lucky we won today. It was close enough that one play could flip it. If Crabs does not hold on to that 3rd down wobbler, Rodgers would be going to Carolina instead of Kappy.

Harbaugh had better do some of that ‘coaching shit’ before next week… Carolina has an excellent defense and has already beat us once this year.

And Chuck, you need to ban that pussy ass racist (I banned him a couple of years ago for the same shit)

I don’t get the guy, didn’t he notice the field is covered in black men? Makes you wonder why he likes football. Jerk.

Yeah. Got heem. There were also about 16 valid posts that I posted from the spam filter.

thanks. You’ll notice that at 3:24 and 3:26 I posted why Kap called the TO. It was only reported after the game why he did it. So I scooped all their asses, including the dopes that had no clue why Kap called the TO in the first place.

I have no idea. The spam filter gets real random at times. Yeah, you called it about the wristband. I didn’t see.it. Then again I was in a room with about 15 people in it, and it was loud and crazy.

What I’m surprised at, at least with this game, is hew refs let pretty much everything go. There were many obvious holding calls on both sides, and Crabs was interfered twice in the end zone and neither were called. Niners got away with a couple plays that could have been called PI.

Crabtree was unreal today. He had a couple game-saving catches. Looked like Boldin was getting bracketed most of the game and VD and Crabs were able to take advantage.

Amazing game from Crabtree Chuck.
      As Harbaugh said Post-Game, he catches everything.
      He’s a very good weapon that Carolina didn’t see in our backyard.
      Panthers’ Secondary is likely their weakest link too.
      We’ll need to stop their pass rush in order to make Crabtree a bigger factor again next week.

Officiating is tolerable if it’s consistant.
      They swallowed their whistles and held the flags for the most part in both directions.
      I can’t stand seeing them decide a game in a big moment.
      Thankfully, the hold on RayMc that allowed Rodgers to get the pass off didn’t decide the outcome.

• twinfan1 says:

I thought Boldin would be the go to guy considering the field and his style. If Crabs is a diva, keep the arias coming..

Twinfan1 I think GB, (Capers) looks at what happened to them in their last meeting with us and shoots their load at stopping the last guy to beat them.
        Myopic opproach that Roman obviously figured out.

Crabtree is now the Special Weapon no one has accounted for.
        Carolina didn’t see him either thankfully.

Let’s hope they can’t find an answer either.
        Then perhaps, we spring QPat and VMcD on them?

That third down completion for first down to Crabby on the final drive was nails, by Crabby. He had to go oppo his momentum to jump and make that catch in -15 windchill, with a guy on his ass. Clutch. I’ve turned around on Crabby — he’s the future #1 for the next five years, he runs routes, he dekes the oppo, he has great hands, and is slippery with the YAC — they’ll need to pay him, that’s for sure. How does this team win with only 2 wideouts and a TE? There really is no third WR worth a damn — was Patton in a warming hut all game?…

Tell U what.
    With Gore winding down a career, I wish the Niners had Lacy. The guy is a beast. I hope Lattimore is within an area code of that talent…

• Grumpy Guy says:

The only thing you wonder about with a guy like Lacy is how long he’ll last – he does not avoid the collisions, and that takes a toll. Lynch has done well with that style, but most backs don’t. Remember Earl Campbell when he started, and when he finished? But yeah, I would not mind having Lacy, at least for now… Hopefully Lattimore can be worthy of being Gore’s successor when the day comes.

Grump any big back in this game takes a beating.
        They’re hard to wrap up and are usually slow moving targets.

Boobie should learn to put the power behind his pads like Lacy does.
        Smaller backs avoid direct hits with quickness more often.

I think Lattimore is Frank, through and through.
        No nonsense, hit the crease and squirt through.
        I do think he’s got the 2nd gear Frank never did.

Should be a nice piece for us once he’s completely healed and conditioned.

49. twinfan1 says:

Let’s see who understands “intentional grounding”. I’ve detected a misperception about it. That’s OK, most announcers and even some coaches can’t grasp it. Let’s take a typical situation- 2nd and 10. The passer drops back 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage, within the tackle box, and under siege with no place to throw. So he throws the ball to the sidelines and out of bounds where there are no receivers *and* no defenders to catch the ball. If he took the sack instead of grounding the ball, the result of the play would bring on 3rd and 16. By grounding it he has avoided making a stupid throw in the middle of the field and he’s also avoided having 800 pounds of marauding defenders on top of him. The cost- it’s 3rd and 20 instead of 3rd and 16. It’s rather astounding that so many people think that by grounding the ball, a down has been lost- the down is the same if he grounds it or if he takes the sack. When ref says “loss of down”, it means that the down is not replayed as it is with most offensive penalties. The grounding penalty does not add a down, it simply doesn’t give a “mulligan” on the down, so to speak . Meanwhile the offensive players sulk and piss and moan, the bloggers freak out, the coach throws down his clipboard and stomps around- because it’s 3rd and 20 instead of 3rd and 16. Some people!!
    GNight guys, good game today.

Kinda sucks the way this next Rd is being scheduled for TV too.
    Late game for us on Sunday in the WC Rd travels again, for an early game in the Divisional Rd?

Pretty lame IMO.

I’m just happy to be there NJ, that game was too close for comfort.

You and me both 12th.
        We played a very solid game in less than desireable conditions.
        Thought they handled the elements better than the home team did in fact.

Credit to GB for standing tall despite their injuries too.
        We’re a conservative team. I’ll buy that MO so long as we continue to hang W’s.

Kaep and Crabtree getting timing back at the Most Perfect Time too.
        Both guys were $$$ today.

4th and 6th was a shock to me and probably the Packers too. Niners cut it loose in the first qtr.

Green Bay came to play that;s for sure. Rodgers is amazing at times. Lacey is the real deal too.

No doubt 12th.
        Hated to see us get into the RZone and settle for 3s again too.
        Gotta win those trips with 6.

Yeah that is the one thing that needs some work still, a couple of 7′s not 3′s makes a world of difference.

I couldn’t believe the amount of bullshit holding by the D secondary and the O line, and PIs they allowed in this game, both ways, but a bit more on the Pack side of it. Crabtree got mugged twice in the endzone early on, and all the replays of basically any pass play showed the corners practically jumping inside the unis of the wideouts. The Pack’s OLmen were basically tackling the Niner D line half the time…

I can’t complain about the refs, looked like they let both teams play fairly evenly. I prefer that to the crazy flags we have seen all year.

I hear ya Snarkk.
      At least they didn’t cost either team a W.

It’s been a running theme here and everywhere this year.
      Totally inconsistant and hard to account for, crew to crew.

I’m sure that Harbaugh and Staff have their stats on these guys and, can probably get some sort of baseline parameters on what to expect I’d imagine.

That 4th down mugging of RayMc could have killed us when the laundry didn’t fly.
      Thankfully that didn’t happen.

Right. All the games were called very clean. Til this one. It was basically a free-for-all. The hold on McDonald was extremely bad, but one of Kappy’s runs, Gore, I think, picked up a DB trying to get to Kappy. A Smith was held at least 4 times that I saw.

One thing I liked was on the TD to VD, Kappy looked left the whole time before looking to VD on the right side. The floater? Not so much.

If Seattle gets these refs, NO won’t complete a passs.

• NoFear49er says:

That’s a good one, and probably true.
      Joking aside, I think they wanted to let them play, which I much prefer to looking for a flag after every play.

Chuck the Saints need to do to Seattle what they did to Philly.
      Balance the attack and force them to account for the running game.

We all kvetch about the boring nature of our game but, it works in bad weather while opening options elsewhere.

Kaep will continue to improve. He’s got his share of bad plays like every QB does.
      He doesn’t hide from the negative results though.
      Gotta love that about the Kid.

I like the fight in him, like Andrew Luck. These kids have nuts the size of melons.

• NoFear49er says:

Hey NJ49er,
        You have to give Rob Ryan some credit there, too.

Absolutely NoFear49er, where was Shady?
        Rob and Co took away what they did best.
        DJax and Shady went AWOL.

Trust me, I’m ripping my Eagle Buddy apart out here.
        That idiot thought this was a slam dunk.
        But you can’t fault him, like most Philly Fans, they’re clueless.

They enjoyed the heck outta Andy Reid leaving too.
        All the guy did was get them into Playoff contention year after year and they ran him out.
        Loved that he came back to defeat them this season too.

They’re easily the worst fans in any agenda.

Did you see the stats with Rivers and SD Run vs Pass today in Cincy?
    Rivers yielded to the ground game and apparently caught Cincy napping in terms of game prep.
    He went a mere 12/16 all afternoon.

Playoff football is all about showing something the opposition isn’t expecting.
    That comes down to Coaching.

I’m thinking there’s going to be some job openings in Cincy real soon too.

• snarkk says:

Marvin Lewis 3 Playoffs in a row, that’s great, but one and done all 3 years. Today’s loss at home was baaaad. And, Dalton looked like he was nerved out with some of those throws. I’d say he and Lewis are definitely on the hot seat…

Dalton doesn’t see the Defense Snarkk.
        He’s running plays like a College QB.
        Does what he’s told to do, not seeing adjustments when it matters.
        It’s mental for him right now.

They’ll probably lay this on Jay Gruden.
        IMO, Zimmer didn’t stop the running attack which killed them.

I liked the way the Niners finally threw into the EZ from the RZ. 3 trips early, 1 horrible pass INT, 1 PI (oops, not), 1 I don’t recall but was probably another oops not.
    Should the Niners get a crew that actually calls it according to the rulebook, those plays garner 10-17 instead of 6.
    What did I write? “…get a crew that…”?
    OK, scratch that.

Bye Twinnie. You, like Alex and the rest of the Chiefs fans, can now relax, kick your feet up, have a beer, and watch Kappy in the playoffs.

Really? Are you 10?

• rtfirefly says:

I knew you’d come up with a Skeelit/Bullbers BS response Alex-loving remark. Twinnie’s written 100x nastier shit to me in the past, but that was OK. His darts yesterday were OK.
        You’ve written shit 100x nastier to me.
        You resorted to calling me “skippy” yesterday. Are you 5?
        I’m not allowed to write a jab now because I’m not an Alex-loving Chiefs fan? Bullshit.

Shit gets old from both sides.

Twin ain’t coming back anyway. I railed on him somewhere else. The pisser is he doesn’t post here for months, but as sooon as Smith comes up, he flamethrows everyone and tells me how to run my shit. Fuck it.

Probably too late to fix this season, but the problem getting the plays in and called is just perplexing, and dangerous. How can you come back from halftime, get the ball on the kick, and not get a play off? That’s just plain crazy. And another time in the first half, didn’t they come back from a time out and have the same problem? Not only the length of time to call the plays, but often players look confused on the line. Unacceptable. The play calling nomenclature must be simplified or number of plays called per down has to be fixed. It’s way too complicated, and must be frustrating…

The time problems getting the plays in and called are just crazy, wasting time outs like that. Must fix that next year somehow, with easier nomenclature. Kaep needs to just call the play, and suffer a busted play instead of burning timeouts…

Well, it depends on the circumstance. There are times where a TO IS warranted. I was talking to a guy on Field Gulls who was apoplectic that Pete Carroll useind a time out on a 3rd and 15 play. And I had to agree with him I’d think in that siutation, a 3rd and 20 is preferable to burning a time out.

However a 3rd and goal from the 5 I’d say you want to make sure you got your shit straight. Of course the TO doesn’t guarantee that.

BLEEP! Bring on next weekend!

The more galling thing to me about the time outs is the fact that after they called them, the plays coming OUT of them resulted in a busted play sack, and a busted play 2 yard loss to Gore. So, not only did they burn a time out, they fucked up the play coming out of it.

I had to laugh though seeing KC call a time out coming out of the 2 minute warning. I thought only we did that shit.

Looks like Greg Roman is being looked at for ther Vikings AND Redskins HC spot.

Ha ha! Stupid thing is, Sing should have rehired Mad Mike. With those 2 balancing each other out, it could have worked. Not our problem now though!

New thread is up . . .