Playoff Prognostication Time

Despite Dennis’s fear of the Super Bowl loser not reaching the playoffs, the Niners have made it back to the post season. Unfortunately for Balt. (like I predicted), the defending champs were the ones left in the cold. So, without further ado, let’s take our wild-ass guesses as to who moves on in the playoffs.

The games are:

Saturday:

• Chiefs (11-5) @ Colts (11-5) – 1:35 pm
  • Saints (11-5) @ Eagles (10-6) – 5:35 pm

Sunday:

• Chargers (9-7) @ Bengals (11-5) – 10:05 am
  • 49ers (12-4) @ Packers (8-7-1) – 1:40 PM

The Chiefs and Colts looks to be a great game. Besides the harbinger of watching Young Sir Alex lead the vastly improved Chiefs to the playoffs, he’s matched up with Andrew Luck, young gunslinger extraordinaire. I think Alex and Co. pull this one out.
Chiefs 28 – Colts 24.

The late game? Chip Kelly and his high-strung offense? Nick Foles and his unholy numbers (2,900 yards, 27 TDs, 2 picks in 11 games)? I think they take the Saints easily as the Saints don’t play well out of doors.
Iggles 35 – Saints 20.

Chargers/Bengals looks like a good one as well. Philip Rivers seems to have overcome his int-itis from lasr year, and caught fire just in time this season. For being in the supposedly weak AFC West, they put 3 teams in the playoffs, and Rivers just may be the hottest guy. Cincy always blows it in the playoffs, and I see no difference here.
San Dawg 31 – Cincy 17.

Then there’s the jewel of the playoffs. Niners and Packers. The Frozen Tundra. These teams have quite a playoff history, but the balance of power has shifted to the Red and Gold.
49ers 31 – Pack 20.

What do you all think?

About these ads

129 Responses to Playoff Prognostication Time

By the way, here are some preseason predictions for the playoffs:

Me:

NE
    Colts
    Pitt
    WC- Tex & Cincy

Barley:
    Niners 11-5 — NFC West Champs
    NFC Least — Cowboys (meh.)
    NFC South — Saints
    NFC North — Packers
    WC — SEA, ATL

AFC West — Broncos
    AFC East — Patriots
    AFC South — Texans
    AFC North — Steelers
    WC — Bengals, Colts

I think nearly 50 years after the Ice Bowl, it’s stupid to play in the predicted conditions. Especially since the Niners played 4 games better than the Pack for the season, and in a far tougher division. Despite the rant, the Niners have the better talent. But, that doesn’t guarantee a win, with Rogers at oppo QB, and the Niner secondary limping. With that bumb collarbone, Rodgers doesn’t want to get hit. The outside rush may have difficulty getting leverage due to a slippery field, so IMO J. Smith and rush up the middle is imperative to get into Rodgers’ face. Since the GBay defense sucks, I’ll go with the Niners controlling the ball, and winning 33-24. If the field is like an ice rink in the second half, the offense should have the advantage. Gore should run 20-25 times against these Pack putzes, especially without the Matthews blonde hair flying, and also one of their D linemen, whose name escapes me, is out. If Frank gets over 100 yards and Niners have 2 or fewer turnovers, they should win. Dawson should play a pretty big role with 3 or more FGs. In that frigid weather, I expect turnovers. Hell, in that cold, a polar bear would fumble a seal…

All time:
    Points Scored: San Francisco 49ers leads Green Bay Packers (1166-1165)
    Record @ Lambeau Field: Green Bay Packers lead San Francisco 49ers (21-8)
    Record @ Candlestick Park: Green Bay Packers lead San Francisco 49ers (6-2)

Yeah, it’s hard to justify rewarding a team for winning a shitty division, while penalizing a team for amassing a better record in a tougher division. Look at Seattle in 2010. They were 7-9 and hosted the defending champion Saints at 11-5. I knew Seattle would win since they don’t travel well. If that was played in NO, I’m sure the Saints would have won.

5. twinfan1 says:

Bad weather can throw the best plans for a loop. In that Ice Bowl game Lombardi went with the seldom used Chuck Mercein in the backfield for the game winning drive.He *wanted* a plodder on the icy field with the game on the line. Chuck was not in the game plan-until it came to that final drive. My point? The great coaches play it on the fly if need be.
    On the sneak by Starr the call was a run, probably by Mercein. Starr went to the sideline and told Vince that on that field he didn’t trust a run from a back- too far to go on that field. So he told Lombardi that he wanted to sneak it. According to Starr, Vince said “Then run it and let’s get out of here.. ”
    BTW, let’s see if this beats “Ice Bowl 1″. The weather that day:
    -2 degrees, relative humidity 55%, wind 15 mph, wind chill -23
    My call- Harbaugh’s style pays off in this one. Same score as in the first Ice Bowl, with the vistors on top this time- 21-17 Niners.

I took SF 26 GB 24. Not sure how they get to 26. 8 fg’s and a safety? I also think New Orleans beats Philly, Cinn beats SD and the Colts handle the Chefs…

• twinfan1 says:

Hmmm- 2 TDs with extra points and 4 FGs? Might be tough in that weather. 4 TDs and a missed PAT? Not out the question at all.
      OK, my other calls: New Orleans 28-13 SD 17-14 KC 21-20 ( no way I go against Alex-but the Chief’s disappearing “D” better show up).
      All the wild cards win.

SF, NO, Indy, SD

There’s a reason I rarely gamble, just take a look at my picks and you’ll see. I don’t give a shit what anyone else does. The Niners season will not end in GB. Destiny is waiting for us in Seattle

Dubs with the win!!! 15 down in the 4th and Igloudala with the game winning 3.

Will post a final summary of our pigskin prognostications closer to game time (so I can find it on the site easier).

I want KC, Chargers, Niners mainly for sentimental reasons. Saints/Eagles- I like Eagles

Spam filter?

Got to like Sammy Watkins from Clemson at WR. Big, fast, great hands, and a great route runner. He’ll be gone by the time the Niners pick though.

Chuck sez: 31-20 Niners. The good news is we seem to match up well with Green Bay with our base defense. The Niners only got 2 sacks in week 1 but Rodgers was harassed all game, and completed 56% of his passes. Kappy on the other had went for 70%. I think the Niners can wear down Green Bay’s defense, and keep Rodgers from going too crazy.

NJ49er says: 27-17 9ers
    I’m concerned about our Secondary in the cold mostly. Rodgers can wing it and cold weather favors them. Have to keep Rodgers from rolling. Sacks would be nice but, we can’t allow him to buy time. Hurries could be better than sacks in this kind of weather. Talking below zero wind chill factor for this one.
    Gotta keep their O off the field. Good place for the Power Run game.

12th man: 21-17 Niners. Looking forward to Sunday it looks like a frigid day in Green Bay. I will take the Niners 21-17.

Irish Kevin says: At home watching The Herd, Colin calls the Niners the best team in the NFL, 1. Niners, 1A. Seattle, 3. Denver. He also says Niners by 7, maybe by 10 over GB.

Irish Kevin says: Don’t know the teams well enough to call a score. But my score to the Niner game stands at Niners 20 – GB 13

phil fan says: I have Niners by 7 too. Ten wouldn’t surprise me. Never heard a player make a call like that before.

Flavor says: I’m gonna say 26-24 Niners.

snarkk says: 33-24 Niners. Despite the rant, the Niners have the better talent. But, that doesn’t guarantee a win, with Rogers at oppo QB, and the Niner secondary limping. With that bumb collarbone, Rodgers doesn’t want to get hit. The outside rush may have difficulty getting leverage due to a slippery field, so IMO J. Smith and rush up the middle is imperative to get into Rodgers’ face. Since the GBay defense sucks, I’ll go with the Niners controlling the ball, and winning 33-24. If the field is like an ice rink in the second half, the offense should have the advantage. Gore should run 20-25 times against these Pack putzes, especially without the Matthews blonde hair flying, and also one of their D linemen, whose name escapes me, is out. If Frank gets over 100 yards and Niners have 2 or fewer turnovers, they should win. Dawson should play a pretty big role with 3 or more FGs. In that frigid weather, I expect turnovers. Hell, in that cold, a polar bear would fumble a seal…

twinfan1 says: 21-17 Niners. My call- Harbaugh’s style pays off in this one. Same score as in the first Ice Bowl, with the visitors on top this time. Bad weather can throw the best plans for a loop. My point? The great coaches play it on the fly if need be. BTW, let’s see if this beats “Ice Bowl 1″. The weather that day: -2 degrees, relative humidity 55%, wind 15 mph, wind chill -23

phil fan says: 34-27 Niners. We’re going to score on these guys and Rodgers and co. will put up 3 TDs. It wont be enough. Our run game the difference as Kap will match Rodgers. “General” Patton could be the difference with LMJ on punts

This is a good draft for WRs. I’d also like to see DBs high on their list of guys to draft.

short on time so Colts, Eagles, Bengals, Niners.

17. KC has gone from a 1 1/2 pt dog to a 1 1/2 pt favorite just this morning. People are throwing their hard earned money on Alex Smith to win a playoff game. A global pandemic has struck the minds of the once sane gambling world.

IND, NO, CIN, Niners

Andy Reid’s desperation move trying to get his starters all rested up and getting some injured back won’t help Alex’s faux offense on the road.

Chip’s new version of the no huddle run and shoot won’t keep Brees from torching their D.

Bengals on a roll and too tough in the jungle. And too cold for SD?

Not too sure about our game in the deep freeze. Rodgers’ attack will test our (supposedly) hurting corners. Especially with Cobb back they have several receivers that can line up wherever the matchup favors them. I guess we will lean on Gore and the running game (sure am glad we were able to roll out all those running plays that made everyone scream) to keep Rodgers on the sidelines, but I think it comes down to whether or not CK7 can get HIS running going and his passing game will be needed to put enough points on the board if our secondary isn’t up to par.

19. twinfan1 says:

I’ve picked a Niner win but the weather makes it a totally unpredictable game. I wouldn’t bet a penny on it.

20. Today’s winners; Colts and Eagles. That was easy. Anything else? I can spit out tonight’s winning lotto numbers if you’d like.

21. Looks like both these defenses stayed in the locker room. Lifetime is running a “Project Runway” marathon, so I can understand if they remained inside to watch that.

Wow, nice tackling.

Nice to see other coaches do the same stupid shit in the red zone.

24. Anyone else still have their Christmas decorations up? If I don’t get to ‘em next week St. Valentine will have some company.

Check down Charlie strikes deep.

I know you’re rooting for Allen but the Bengals haven’t lost at home and they beat SD on the road already.

27. That Trent Richardson trade just keeps getting better by the moment.

The curse of the Browns

29. Remember how everyone laughed at Cleveland for making that trade?
    He who laughs last…

The poor Colts practiced all week with ten guys on defense keying on Charles.

Yup. Indy’s VD is hurting. He can’t cover shit.

Luck looking good. Too bad his teammates forgot to show up. Prediction #1 dying on the vine.

Oops, should have known you can’t bet against Alex S

34. Funny how much better AS is with good coaching

35. Luck needs to ditch that beard. Looks like he’s auditioning to become the second Andrew and 13th apostle of Christ.

36. That INT deserves a crucifixion. Jesus H., Andrew.

Luck decided his teammates were lonely sucking without him.
    Cincy wins tomorrow and it’s Alex@Peyton again next week.

38. I don’t think I’ve ever uttered these words before, but Alex is opening up a can of Whoop Ass.

If Geico ever brings back the caveman ads, Luck’s got a job.

Chargers win and it’s Alex@The Future President.

I forgot Franklin ended up in Indy.

42. Grumpy Guy says:

Alex is utterly schooling the Colts today. LMAO here. When he is good, he is very good.

Here’s where Indy desperately needs Tony Romo…on the Chiefs. He’d find a way to blow it.

Not a good idea to keep throwing here for KC.

Reid’s never been one to go quietly though.

Wow. Joe Montana won the last playoff game for KC. What was that, ’93?

Like I said . . .

Indy’s still breathing… On life support, but a quick strike here…

A DHB sighting!

Luck’s doing what he can for both sides.

Alex better do something here.

52. I haven’t heard Trent Richardson’s name in awhile. Maybe he’s out getting those delicious shrimp cocktails for everyone. That’s the least he could do.

Just like they drew it up!

54. Move over Jesus, we have a new Savior on our hands. What a great recovery and dash to the goal line. Check. Your move, Alex.

An AS INT and we can write the ending. Or maybe some more strip sack examples.

Say what you will about Alex. KC’s defense is horrible.

Gentlemen, we’ve got ourselves a football game.

58. Is the late great Robert Altman directing this broadcast for KC?
    They’re a complete M*A*S*H unit.

KC’s running out of bodies out there.

Indy should just let ‘em score quickly so they can get the ball back.

61. The Colts have the lead.

I’m not going to judge, I’m just going to thank both teams for entertaining the shit outta me.
    This game has been fun to watch.

Wow. Unreal defensive calls here fro KC. yweah, you are losing guys, but youc an’t let the guy .run clear.

5 TDs in the 2nd half for Indy.

63. Alex with the inopportune intentional grounding.

Wow. 4th and 11. Alex with the duck and cover.

65. Think KC HAS to go for it here.

It’s 45-44. Can I still blame Alex?

67. KC burns their last TO coming out of the 2:00 warning?
    Sounds like something our Niners would do.

That’s the game.

Wow. That’s a Vernon Davis move. Not knowing where to put your feet.

70. It’s only fitting that an Alex Smith pass to the right, ends up in a out of bounds.
    Some things never change.

Spam filter? Bummer Colts win.

Well, KC does not appear to have much of a D, colts D woke up in the second half?

Thought I caught Reid on camera cursing “effin” Alex!

Right. just like Jerry Jones says that about Romo every game.

• NoFear49er says:

still carryin’ a torch huh? C’mon, you know that’s funny shit right there.

• NoFear49er says:

Oh,I see you missed on your pick. Well, you’re about to go 0 for 2.

• Chuck, why you still rootin’ for Alex? That’s akin to you rootin’ for your ex-wife, who you kicked to the curb and shipped off to the Midwest, to better herself and marry a rich millionaire and make a better life for herself. You don’t want that. You don’t wanna see that bitch one-up you. You wanna see her broke, lonely and struggling just to churn out enough blow jobs in a Topeka Walmart to support her methamphetamine habit.

Not really. What’s funny is giving a .500 QB a 6 year 108 mill contract extension.

NO win, we go to Carolina. Philly sends us to Seattle.

77. twinfan1 says:

It was great performance from both QBs, trashing Smith after today’s effort is typically ignoprant commentary from the usual suspects.Chuck, you have the patience of Job putting up with some of these guys.

• NoFear49er says:

Eat shit you humorless SOB. Nobody’s “trashing” your boy, whiny baby. He was great in the loss. If his jersey said Romo on the back he’d be called a choker.

Now we’ve got two teams who can’t do jack. Real defenses?

79. Spam filter overactive.

NJ49er says: 27-17 9ers
    Gotta keep their O off the field. Good place for the Power Run game.

Flavor says: I’m gonna say 26-24 Niners.

snarkk says: 33-24 Niners. Niners have the better talent. But, that doesn’t guarantee a win, with Rogers at oppo QB, and the Niner secondary limping. The outside rush may have difficulty getting leverage due to a slippery field, so IMO J. Smith and rush up the middle is imperative to get into Rodgers’ face. Since the GBay defense sucks, I’ll go with the Niners controlling the ball, and winning 33-24. If the field is like an ice rink in the second half, the offense should have the advantage. Gore should run 20-25 times against these Pack putzes. If Frank gets over 100 yards and Niners have 2 or fewer turnovers, they should win. Dawson should play a pretty big role with 3 or more FGs. In that frigid weather, I expect turnovers. Hell, in that cold, a polar bear would fumble a seal…

I want KC, Chargers + Niners mainly for sentimental reasons. Saints/Eagles- I like Eagles but am rooting for Saints so we play Panthers

80. Grumpy Guy says:

Alex played a hell of a first half, and Luck played a Hell of a 2nd. Amazing it came down to one point after all that.

• NoFear49er says:

Yeah, KC got hot in the wrong half. But they were running out of skill players pretty quickly. It didn’t help that they burned their TOs and allowed IND to close them out without running a play.

81. With all due respect and admiration to the late Johnny, I will know don the hat of Carnac the Magnificent. Cue Ed McMahon…

“I hold in my hand the envelopes. As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They’ve been kept in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall’s porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of these envelopes, but you, in your borderline divine and mystical way, will ascertain the answers having never before seen the questions.”

Answer: Betty Ford, a Chrysler PT and Alex Smith.
    Question: name a boozer, a cruiser and an all time loser.

• NoFear49er says:

Good one. How long did that take to put together? You went farther for that one than all of Alex Smith’s sideline sprints in the face of pressure put together.

82. Does anyone still tackle in this league?
    It’s at an all time low. I know I can’t be the only one who harbors those feelings and gleans the same observations. I just can’t.

• NoFear49er says:

You aren’t. No time for drilling the fundamentals anymore thanks to the players’ union.

They don’t call offensive holding much anymore either.

84. HUGE 4th dn call and subsequent make by Chip and his Eagles at the goal line.
    Kelly sticks to his guns and often takes chances. I not only like that, but I respect that thinking and attitude. Go down swinging…

85. Nick Foles is making a believer out of everyone tonight.
    I’ve always liked that kid. Good for him. Regardless of the final outcome.

86. Another nail biter awaits us. NBC couldn’t be more pleased then punched with today’s two WC games. Great action throughout, and an unscripted final scene awaits. Great day for the NFL as its advertisement revenue continues to soar through the roof…

Regardless these outcomes, which I picked the opposite of both games, I’m just thrilled to see the refs didn’t completely fuck up either game with a stupid/unnecessary/ridiculous call to affect these outcomes. Hopefully the same holds for tomorrow.

For our game, we get Flexin’ Ed Hochuli. Unfortunately he has to wear sleeves.

New thread is up . . .