The Pick at the Stick

Well, if that was the last game at Candlestick Park, the Niners sent her to the dust bin of history in grand fashion. NaVorro Bowman’s 90 yard TD snatched victory front the jaws of defeat and cemented our spot as a playoff team. We still don’t know what our seeding is, but it is either 1, 2, 5, or 6.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Festivus, or whatever your predilection is, but have a good and safe time this holiday season.

See ya on Thursday.

About these ads

34 Responses to The Pick at the Stick

Well since there are so many denominations, and you can’t please everyone anyway, I will simply say what I grew up hearing: Merry Christmas everyone!

2. Christmas Day here this morning so here’s wishing you Merry Christmas everyone.
    That was a nice little Christmas gift from NaVorro Bowman and the Forty Niners last night!

3. Fangio sent 7 (I thought 6) including Bowman on the pick play. Few blitzes (4) prior and Matty Ice racked up 348 yds in the air as a result. More pressure on QBs would seem to be in order as we are going to be facing top quality QBs in te remaining games.

Play of the Game: All-out blitz comes through NFC West Blog ESPN)
    The 49ers entered the day having blitzed on only 19 percent of opposing quarterback dropbacks, the third-lowest rate in the league.

They continued to sit back throughout much of this game, sending five pass-rushers at Matt Ryan only four times in his first 41 dropbacks.

But desperate times called for desperate measures, as the 49ers sent a seven-man rush at Ryan with the Falcons driving for a go-ahead score in the final two minutes. It worked, with NaVorro Bowman returning Ryan’s intercepted pass 89 yards for a touchdown that clinched the game.

4. We dont score in the Red Zone? Consider this from Jack Hammer @49erswebzone:

“”They won’t be successful in the playoffs if can’t score touchdowns in the red zone”

Through the first 15 weeks of the season the 49ers have scored touchdowns on 58% of their trips to the red zone. That is the 5th highest percentage in the NFL, and the highest among NFC teams that are currently in the playoffs.

Christmas 26 Not Christmas 10

Yeah, the first half saw a lot of 3 man rush. Not a good strategy going forward.

BLEEP!

Jack Splat’s stats are more than a little disingenous, BTW.
    In the first 6 games, the TD% was 55. In the last 7, it’s 44. What’s the league ranking for 44?
    Something about 8 for 8 against Tenn and Jax…

9. You including last night at the Stick? Gore, Kap and Boldin all scored from the RZ. We also got a FG. Play like that we’ll be all right

• rtfirefly says:

Yeah, Phil. 3 of 4 raised the % up to 44. That would currently rank us ahead of Buffalo. Just Buffalo.

• rtfirefly says:

Remember, it’s the TD %.

• philippinefan says:

Myself I don’t care about the % so much as our ability to move the ball and make plays on O.It was a tale of 2 halfs last night. 1st half we wouldn’t beat Buffalo, Atlanta or much of anyone. After the half time adjustments (per Harbaugh) we were unstoppable with 28 points, 15 1st downs. RZ td efficiency 75%. It’s the first half that worried me on O.

D could not pressure MR with 3 man rush 91% of the time. But the one time we sent 7- bingo!

10. philippinefan says:

BTW VD took a finger in the right eye sometime in the first half. Hard to catch when blind.

Also to the question “Can A Dixon be a lead blocker?” He sprang Hunter for the 45 yard run and several for Gore according to JH

11. Chuck’s bloggers are like Christmas lights: half of them don’t work, and the other half aren’t so bright. You know what Santa brought me for Christmas? Jaundice and cirrhosis of the liver. Alcoholic hepatitis is on its way for New Year’s Eve.

All kidding aside, I think you guys know how I feel about Christmas. Wow. I got so choked up thinking about it that I’m at a loss for words. How bout I just wish you and yours the very best. That’s what friends do. And remember, “No man is a failure who has friends.”

12. There are so many favorite Christmas songs of mine that it would be impossible to single out just one. But this one never fails to put a “giddy-up” back in my step if I’m feeling a tad slow. This version is from the Boston Pops Orchestra led by the great composer and conductor, John Williams. His credits are too vast to mention. His music scared me to death as a child. I’ll never think it’s safe to go back in the water. Thankfully this song only requires a horse and carriage…

13. Berger says:

Merry Christmas everybody! Turkey is in the oven, got Tran Siberian Orchestra spinning and it is a wonderful day! How ’bout a Christmas song!

Art Carney wanders into The Twilight Zone (1960).

Do do do do . . . do do do do . . . . . do do do do ……. do do do do

Hey, got an Anquan Boldin jersey from my son (and wife). Merry Christmas!

I can finally retire my Alex Smith jersey !!

• philippinefan says:

Cool RT. Yeah one day a year we should show a little charity to Del Mar, right? Manning makes it look easy

Til the playoffs.

I see the boys over at PFT both picked Zona to beat the 49ers this week. Should be a tough game, hope the injuries don’t mount up.