Denuding the Tennessee Tuxedos

Tennessee_Tuxedo_300How Tennessee missed out on that team name escapes logic. I think it won the naming poll by over 40%. 2 huge things in its favor. Everyone like penguins, and Don (Maxwell Smart) Adams was the voice of Tennessee.

Anyhow, The Niners played a very solid game yesterday. Well, until the end when they went super conservative and let the tit’ns back into it a little. They were up 24-0 entering the 4th quarter, and they let a big play happen off an innocuous screen play that may or may not have been illegally blocked. Still and all, though, a game that was never in doubt as the defense kept Chris Johnson and Jake Locker from doing any serious damage until late in the game. Standouts were Anquan Boldin and his two spectacular catches among the 5 for 74, VD and his solid effort of 4 for 62, Frank Gore had 70 on the ground, and 34 in the air, including (gasp!) a screen play that went for 29! VM even made a great catch on a tipped pas at the 1 ayard line to set up the 2nd TD. Kappy ended up a very efficient 13-21 for 199 yards + 68 on the ground, including a 20 yard scamper for a TD on 3rd and 7 to close out the 1st half. A definite knife in the heart of Tenn. Especially when the Niners took the 2nd half kickoff on a 14 play, 79 yard drive that ate 7:35 of the 3rd quarter to put the Niners up 24-0.

The defense had a lot of big plays, including Tremaine Brock’s pick on a deep pass by locker, 2 sacks by Justin Smith (and 1 by Ahmad Brooks), and constant harassment of Locker in the pocket. Out of Tenn’s first 8 drives, 6 ended with punts, one was an INT, and one FG. Tenn got yards, but no points. Til garbage time. One of the biggest plays however turned out to be a beautiful hit by hitherto unknown special teamer Darryl Morris on Darius Reynaud that he fumbled and was recovered bay Kareen Osgood in the end zone for a huge ST touchdown. Morris was all over the place on punts and KO returns, one KO he pinned Tenn on the 9 yard line.

All in all one of the Niners most consistent efforts. Albeit, I didn’t like the way they turtled in the 4th quarter. Still and all, a good road win, especially when you look at how Seattle struggled with these guys at home the week before. The offense is hitting bigger plays with a little more consistency, and the run game is still keeping defenses honest. As a proponent of ditching the read-option early in the season, I think they’ve struck a good balance with it. Using it instead as a surprise rather than an every-possession (or even every set of downs) play. I’ll admit to be wrong about that, even though I was right. Right?

About these ads

34 Responses to Denuding the Tennessee Tuxedos

Nice read chuck. I’ve never been a fan of the prevent either but yesterday it did make some sense. We got out of their injury free I believe. I think Bolden makes our WR’s legit and given that Vernon is a force we still are a threat in the air at any time. It was a good win.

That looping throw Kap made over the defender to Boldin, who made that diving grab, was a thing of beauty. Alex would never have even attempted that kind of throw. As for the screen pass, how about that? I’ve been yelling for screen passes since Sing left. This one only made 29 yards, so I guess they’ll shelve it until next season…

• Winder says:

To be honest I wasn’t sure we had any screen plays in our playbook. Gore on the outside looked real good.

It really was a wheel route but it was close enough . . .

I made it almost all the way through what was very possibly the worst pro football game I’ve ever seen, including pre-season scrimmages, on MNF.

If Goodell wants to kill the Monday night feature and audience demand for it that was a good start.

How bad are the Giants and the Vikings? No player or coach on either team should see a paycheck for that fiasco, fines for conduct unbecoming would be more appropriate.

If anyone was ever criticized for calling Leslie Frazer a terrible coach he should know now that he was guilty only of extreme understatement.

What a waste of a perfectly good evening. Even Gruden had trouble putting a smiley face on that one, and that’s what he does.

Yeah, after the 15th overthrow by Freeman in the 2nd quarter, I was done . . . Ol’ Tom Coughlin’s head was ready to explode about 15 times as well.

I’m glad I avoided the Monday night game and watched an old film 1971 on Blue ray, “Vanishing Point.” Damn that Challenger sounded good. This film looks great on blue ray. Beautiful scenery and nice action. According to the Director, they went through nine cars to make this film. The last car was taken by a woman who hung with the cast and they had to get help from the police to track it down.

Yer killin’ me, Nip. that is one of my favorite movies of all time. Was it Cleavon Little as the blind DJ tracking his progress across the country? Awesome stuff. Put Crazy Mary and Dirty Larry to shame. Although that wasn’t too bad . . .

I added some pics of the AZ game a couple weeks ago.

9. The guy’s name who narrated the Tennessee Tuxedo show was Delmar. Also, the voice of Phineas J. Whoopee was provided by Larry Storch (F Troop). He and Don Adams attended the same high school in the Bronx. They were good buddies.

Get a load of this story…A 61-year-old Texas man admitted to a hospital appearing to be falling-down drunk, even though denying having had a drink, was discovered to be unintentionally manufacturing beer in his stomach. With “auto-brewery syndrome,” stomach-based yeast automatically ferments all starches passing through, converting them into ethanol. Normally, stomach bacteria control the yeast, but if for example, antibiotics had inadvertently eliminated the bacteria, the yeast would prevail.

Free beer made in your own stomach. The luck of some guys.

Del F-Troop was the BOMB! (As was Wrangler Jane ;)

One of the best quotes ever – From Chief Wild Eagle (Frank de Kova) about how the Hekawi Indians got their name –

Many moons ago tribe move west because Pilgrims ruin neighborhood.
      Tribe travel west, over country and mountains and wild streams, then come big day… tribe fall over cliff, that when Hekawi get name.
      Medicine man say to my ancestor, “I think we lost. Where the heck are we?”

Note the mention of the Sanger de Christo (Blood of Christ) mountains to the E/NE/NNE of Santa Fe (think Taos).
    Quemado’s a town WSW of me.

Gotta love Wild Wild West!

*Sangre* – crap.

From Episode 1- “Night of the Inferno”.

So the Rams reached out to Bret Favre to see if his 44 year old body can take a pounding. He declined.

No kidding! LOL

Anyone remember Jeff Garcia? His mind is still willing.

• “If the mind is willing, the flesh could go on and on without many things.” —Sun Tzu. I don’t think Sun ever played QB in the NFL. Otherwise he would need to drink alcohol, take prescribed opioids and receive injections up the yin yang like Favre and others just to remain upright. Hell. I take all those things myself to remain upright and I never played a down of quarterback in my life.

• Irish Kevin says:

Nipper, KNBR has him as a Football analyst on in the evening with Tom Tolbert. He is not at radio

Garcia’s on the NFL Network as well. I heard him talking about reaching out to the Browns for a job as their QB.