Game 7 – The Crossroads

Or, Highyway 61 Revisited. The Niners are gearing up for their longest road trip of the season. A trip to Tennessee, Youngstown, and then Jolly Old England. They won’t be playing at home for a little while anyway, as the bye week follows the trip overseas.

Speaking of crossroads, we’ll see if the 49ers can do something that still hasn’t been done since Jolly Roger Goodell started these yearly jaunts to Wembley, and that is to win the game previous to the trip, and win the game in England. There’s still a lot of question marks around this team as it struggles to find its way offensively. The good news is Mario Manninghamis closer to being activated, likely after the break. Quinton Dial has been activated to shore up a defensive line decimated by injuries. The run game has been stellar lately, but this hasn’t translated into huge success for the passing game. Which hasn’t looked great since week one. Still and all, not a big problem if Kappy can hit the big play when the opportunity arises, as he did with VD last week.

The defense has been wreaking havoc by generating turnovers these past few games, and it very well may have saved the team an embarrassing loss to AZ with the strip by Patrick Willis on Larry Fitzgerald as the Cards were driving to take the lead.

The Tits on the other hand have been sagging in recent weeks due to Jake Locker’s dealing with hip and knee injuries. Ryan Fitzpatrick has not rallied the troops, and has engineered. 2 game losing streak for them. Locker has been named the starter for this game, so the he is we get after him and hit hi early and often. For once I’d like to see the defense come out blitzing and generating tons of pressure instead of our usual base package til we see what’s going on defense.

Bottom line is, this is a game the Niners should win. Tennessee isn’t that great at any aspect of the game. A couple quick strikes and a couple long drives should harness these Tits handily.

About these ads

75 Responses to Game 7 – The Crossroads

I think their defense is pretty good. Lots of fast guys flying all over the place. And Chris Johnson is still Chris Johnson though where his big plays have gone are anybody’s guess. He’s only 28. Locker’s back, it’s in Tennessee, I dunno this looks like a real tough game to me…..

Yeah you got the name right …”the Tits!”

3. Chuck, the Niners aren’t making a stopover in Youngstown, they’re flying straight from Nashville across the pond to London this year. You need a new travel agent. Try Bill Shatner as the Priceline Negotiator.

4. BTW, I done jinxed us but good this time. I jumped the gun when I stated that stat about how every team to play Seattle has lost their next game this year. Tennessee played SEA last week. Gee, I wonder who the Titans play today. We got none chance of winning now. So when the Titans win 27-24, you guys can curse my name even more than usual today.

If we can’t beat the Tennessee Tuxedos then we have no business thinking we are any good. This team needs to do something on offense early. I’m getting sick and tired of this no risk offense and defense to start games.

Oh, Dennis. Chicken bones? Tea leaves? No wonder you can’t get out of bed.

Good to see KW still catching ‘em inside the 10.

7. Defense better come to play. Nice start w/ the passin tits

8. Love that call on 3rd and short.

There you go. Time to throw,

Yikies. Squinked that in there.

Skeebs site is down?

Wow. Killer penalties.

This is when you put in 5 wide to spread the D. Stupid shit.

2 Runs up the middle, what is coming next?? Only a HC who has never ever seen the 49ers offense would not know!! Everybody and their mother knew what was coming, and of course the receiver did not know where the 10 yard down marker was or Kap did not have the time to let the receiver get past the 10 yard marker!! Of course that is because every defensive player was on the front line licking their chops trying to get to Kap.

15. K Lo says:

Stupid fucking play calling last O series

16. K Lo says:

Another game put on the D. Gore, Gore, and hope to get lucky with Davis

I also picked NO Saints to be the team that would/could beat the 49ers, I am having second thoughts with the play calling I am seeing!

Damn. Someone else has to be open with all those guys on VD>

19. K Lo says:

Now they’re triple-covering Davis, the only deep threat we have

20. What was that? Empty backfield

Bouldin putting on a show. DAMN!

22. Now we have to burn our 2nd TO. Shitty clock mgt. continues…

Why is it so hard to get plays off? EVery time we are under 2 seconds at best.

24. And by shitty clock mgt., I mean the amount of time it takes on a regular basis to call and get our play off. Always pushing the envelope with just seconds remaining.

25. K Lo says:

Colin To the corner!!!!

26. philippinefan says:

Score here its ovah fer da tits

27. Kap just threw a perfect pass to VD. The window wasn’t open, so Kap just broke the pane.

28. Kap is throwing darts like he was at an English pub playing 501.

2 runs and a pass, this offense is soooo boring!! Winning yes thanks to the D they can run this Singletary shit. When Seattle comes to SF this dog won’t hunt, this boat won’t float, this pig won’t fly!!

Not sure what game yer watching, Kevin.

Tennessee has a pretty good defense, so putting 24 on them when they average19 is not too bad.

32. Bear fans were mocking Jay Cutler when they heard he left with a groin injury. They replied, “Jay Cutler has a groin?” Then I saw this pic on Twitter. I had to laugh…

33. K Lo says:

If you’ve ever muff-dove a bitch with one of these, it stinks

34. K Lo says:

SF got monkey-fucked on that replay

35. Lucky TEN was out of challenges, that was a fumble by Kyle Williams. He’s worthless.

36. K Lo says:

Jenny Britt looks a lot like Leon Sphinks; not the sharpest tool

Good game, but the lack of pressure is still a concern for me. Hit plays downfield, ran well enough, great ST play, all in all a good win.

38. Comment #49 Earl Cooper, our 1st rd (13th overall) pk from Rice in 1980.
    Cooooooooop!

39. I know I’ve mentioned it many times before, but his TD in SB XVI (the one that made the SI cover) could not have been more perfectly aligned to my seat in Sec 111. I think you can actually see Coop winking at me while he spikes the ball.

Titans OLine was pretty good today.
    Locker wastes no time getting the ball out either.
    I’d give game balls to our OLine however.
    Pass Pro held up when it needed to and, they more than met the challenge in the run game.

Kudos to Roman for getting the screen/edge game going today too.
    VMcD showed some excellent hands along with a solid blocking day.

Once we get the coverage off Boldin and Vernon, our Offense could really get into gear for the second half of the Season.

9ers win a tough game of Brawl Ball today.

Solid win today against a decent opponent, on an unfriendly field. I still don’t like Harbs going superconservative when he gets a second half lead. The Niners couldn’t move the ball much with that conservative run play calling after the long drive to start the Q3, and that put the SF defense on the field too much. I really do hate the folding into a turtle offense when they’re ahead. Walsh used to put the petal to the metal in that situation, and just destroy the opposition’s will to compete. Result of that bullshit playcalling was it was looking a little dicey in Q4, until the special teams got that TD off the muffed punt. Very good day for special teams. I still don’t see what Kyle Williams offers to this team. Once in a while, he’ll get a 15-20 yd punt return. Otherwise, fair catches, muffs, and he gets stripped trying to catch passes. They passed on Laval Hawkins and drafting Keenan Allen for that bullshit?…

In the situation of being on the road and looking at an extremely long flight afterwards, I think Harbaugh was just looking to churn out a T.O.P. philosophy Snarkk.
      I know what you’re saying about Walsh however.
      He liked to step on your throat and demoralize an opponent in the 1st half then pin his ears back when you have to throw your way back into a game.
      But, to Roman and Harbaughs’ credit today we had their D completely gassed.

Throwing too much leads to incompletions, not good when you want to burn clock.
      We played a very smart game today.
      Our D was fresh when it mattered.

Tip of the cap to TN, they’ve got some weapons on both sides of the ball.
      We just out slugged them today.

Very impressive win for our Boys today.

KW was a spunky long shot a couple seasons ago. Now, not so much. I liked him then, but he’s not getting better, and like I mentioned earlier, he continually fair catches balls inside the 10. I think he’s the cut when Manningham comes back.

Chuck the curious thing for me is, can you keep both KW and LMJ?
      If LMJ can’t offer any value in the PR/KR game he’s as good as a doorstop to us.
      Kyle can scoot when he makes the decision to go.
      I will say this, he’s not scaring me when he does call for the FC.
      He’s been solid hanging onto the pigskin back there.
      No major meltdowns thus far, which is a good thing.

Baalke has some magic to work in the next 2 weeks.
      Need to juggle the lineup to get the NFI guys into the fold.

Gonna be an interesting stretch I think.

Reports indicate that StL lost Bradford to a torn ACL today too.
    Schottenheimer and Kellen Clemens will now become the NYJ of the NFC West going forward.

Houston lost Cushing, again.
    Injuries are big factors in this racket.
    We have to rest some of out guys while getting the youngsters into the fold over the next few weeks.

Should be an interesting BYE week for us.
    I’d consider the NFI List for Aldon and saying sayonara to Nnamdi.
    That opens slots for Tank and Eric Wright.
    Still have to get Mario onto the 53 too.

Think I read that QB McL B-T has PSquad eligibility, so that might offer a spot too.

I think Smith comes back after the bye. I’d lose KW and Nnnnnamdi. Just seeing Dial out there for a couple was nice. Boldin had 2 of the best catches I’ve seen from a Niner in a long time.

Yes, Boldin is a keeper.
      Also shows that Kaep is finding some touch.
      Week after week I continue to be amazed at how many of his throws were never even attempted by Alex.

We have some holes but, we’re showing signs of progress.
      That’s all you can ask for.
      Well, that and, staying healthy.

This is London. The 49ers have landed. The Queen is waiting for a signed football.

Hey Del,
    Thought of you when I found this.
    ESPN’s 2013 QBR to this point of the Season –

1 Peyton Manning DEN 87.1
    2 Philip Rivers SD 77.4
    3 Matt Ryan ATL 75.0
    4 Drew Brees NO 72.6
    5 Andrew Luck IND 71.9
    6 Jake Locker TEN 67.8
    7 Colin Kaepernick SF 67.0
    8 Jay Cutler CHI 66.3
    9 Michael Vick PHI 65.4
    10 Tony Romo DAL 64.1

Looks like Kaep>Promo….
    Sure, it’s only QBR stats but, he’s holding onto a slot with some impressive company.
    Can’t say that for Alex or the future President at this juncture.

And the Best Games to date -

1 Colin Kaepernick SF 31-17 @ TEN 99.0
    2 Tony Romo DAL 31-7 vs STL 96.7
    3 Michael Vick PHI 36-21 @ NYG 96.6
    4 Peyton Manning DEN 52-20 vs PHI 95.9
    5 Peyton Manning DEN 37-21 vs OAK 95.4
    6 Andrew Luck IND 21-17 vs OAK 95.1
    7 Josh McCown CHI 41-45 @ WSH 94.6
    8 Peyton Manning DEN 51-48 @ DAL 93.7
    9 Philip Rivers SD 33-30 @ PHI 93.5
    10 Sam Bradford STL 38-13 @ HOU 93.2

Still no Alex or Future President…
    But, Promo is closer than the elder Manning, who holds 3 slots.
    Even Josh McCown made the list.
    Curious…..

Houston is getting waylaid by injuries. That is almost the biggest determining factor these days in reaching the Super Bowl.

Tell ya one thing, this is a weird season so far. I thought KC would reach the playoffs, but 7-0? No. I figured NE and Pittsburgh would sink into the sunset, (1/2 right), and I thought the Giants would skid, but not this bad. Same with Balt. They were an easy pick to flail. Dallas? Philly? Wash? It’s a fight to .500 in that division.

Us? Well I was concerned by the start, but I think we are slowly getting healthy even though we still have a lot of missing defensive players. A Smith still leads the team in sacks, but he hasn’t been all that missed. I think it’s strange how the offense has evolved this season. I even advocated for ditching the read-option, as they did to not-so-stellar results. Now that they are slowly bringing it back, it is loosening up defenses for some strong plays.

Chuck, ESPN came up with a new QBR system last season, with much lower numbers. Thus the league leading 87.1.

Kap’s 129.4 was under the official NFL-recognized “old” system.

What was Kappy’s number for the GB game, then? He was lights-out that game. Much more so than yesterday.

So, Kappy’s ‘rating’ for the Tenn game (99.0) was nearly 10 points higher than the GB game (89.8)?

That’s flat ludicrous.

I didn’t say the ESPN system was any good.

But… Suzy, I still want to kiss you.

The Read option allows Kap to run. which helps keep the Defense from collapsing into the middle where Gore is likely to go. I noticed Gore running to the outside more yesterday. Which I think is a good thing.

Titans woner Bud Adams died, aged 90

owner

I think NJ has a point when he says that coaches have been holding back the read option plays. The Griffin injury last year and wanting Kap to really learn the under center pocket passing game and the lack of solid QB depth as the motivation. I don’t agree with that thought process. Seem’s to me they need to play to the QB strengths just tone it down a bit and play it smart, run out of bounds, slide etc. With RO in play it allows the O to be more dynamic and they must respect Kap’s arm even more.

Finally saw a few fireworks yesterday and it’s about time. The film from this game is gonna give opposing D’s some fits. I can’t say anything about coaching with authority but it seems we should have opened this can of worms a few weeks back.

Agree Winder. I understood the gameplan for Greenbay since they were going to sell out to stop the RO and running in general. The next 4 games have been headscratchers. I get that the RO will be more featured in some games and less in others for matchup purposes but to have no RO when the QB is the quintessential RO QB is crazy. Lets hope they continue to salt it in each game especially in jolly old England.

Niners are rightly afraid of Kap doing the RO too much so that he’s exposed to major injury, which could happen while he’s running and cutting whether he takes a hit or not. QBs are dropping like flies all over, and if Kap goes down, ballgame over for getting through the playoffs. I like the idea of a handful of RO plays per game or every other game, depending on strength of oppo LBacker corps. That way, if you want to use RO in the playoffs, you’re up to speed on it in game conditions, not rusty…

Snarkk, I think they’ve struck a good balance with Kappy and the read-option these last couple games. Breaking it out 2-3 times a game rather than a couple times per possession is prudent on their part. It actually works when they don’t expect it.

I wonder if this is all a grand scheme to get teams to stop looking for it after teams overreacted to stop it (a la GB).

Not a bad plan if so. The offense seems to be getting more consistent in hitting bigger plays.

A new thread is up. One that addresses these very issues . . .

And, thanks for hanging out here, all.