Game Day 6 – Trouble in Birdland

With the tough part of the schedule over, the Niners need to fatten up on their next few opponents. This starts with the Arizona Cardinals, A team that has lacked a QB since Kurt Warner got them 34 seconds away from a Super Bowl championship a few years ago. And been pretty much an atrocity since the Bidwell family took ownership 50 odd years ago. And a team that lacked any sense of style by naming itself after the baseball team it shared a city with. Really? Can’t come up with an original name? Bad form.

Anyhow, while the Niners wade through injuries and rehabs and likely suspensions coming down the line, they need to take care of business at home today. Patrick Willis is still a game time decision, VD is coming back to strength, and Justin Smith along with a bunch of others are nursing various maladies. Tank Carradine is close to being ready, as is Mario Manningham. These guys can’t get here soon enough with the state of the D line and WRs in varying states of thinness. Still and all, the defense did well against the Rams and Texans, giving up a short-field TD in the Ram game and no TDs in the Houston game. AZ isn’t exactly an offensive juggernaut, but I don;t k ow too much about the deal with them. Carson Palmer seems to be doing better than how he did in Raiderland, but other than that, I got nothing.

Scored a couple tickets to the game as well. Stub hub, and I got ‘em for $40.00 under face value. On the 45 no less. Looking forward to it.

About these ads

117 Responses to Game Day 6 – Trouble in Birdland

The thought just occurred to me that this might be my last visit to Candlestick Park. Hard to believe after all the thousands of football and baseball games.

It was a shit-hole, but it was OUR shit-hole.

A live 9er game is always a good thing Chuck.
      I’ve never enjoyed one at the Stick, something that has always been on my Bucket List.
      Perhaps I’ll find my way to the new stadium someday.
      Always wanted to tailgate with the locals.

Enjoy the game.
      May it be another W in the Division.
      Can’t see the Seahawks losing at home to TN so, the pressure is on to keep pace.

Yeah, this game is important as it’s a division game, and the Niners need to keep pace with Seattle. The rest of the NFC seems to be hurting bad, what with the entire NFC East going into the tank, and perennial stalwarts like Atlanta hitting the skids.

At this point, Green Bay and Detroit are the wildcard challengers to whoever doesn’t win the NFC West.

Funny, the stick at the time (1971) was seen as a vast improvement over Kezar. And it was. Kezar had something like14,000 seats between the goal lines, and about 38,000 end zone seats. Weird. And the facilities were beyond disgusting. Mossy dank dark caves were how I remember them. But I was pretty young at the time.

4. Late word is that Larry Fitzgerald is very iffy for today’s game. “Bad vibes” coming from ARZ regarding his availability via ESPN reports.

Chuck, if you see the “Banjo Man,” kick ‘em in the nuts. The guy’s a pain in the ass not to mention a jinx. Bad things would always happen when he’d stop by Sec. 57. We’d boo him off. Enjoy the game today, but don’t come back if we lose.

Naaah. He’s an icon, Dennis. Yer a whiny fan. I bought a Giants propeller hat from him in 1982 at the Burlingame art and wine festival.. One of my prized possessions.

6. So Chuck’s wears a propeller beanie hat? That explains a lot of things.

7. I don’t know why, but the Arizona Cardinals follow me on Twitter.
    Don’t they know I’m a closet Raiders, Cowboys, Broncos and Patriots fan?

8. Nice stop by the D to open up. Internet workin better than Kap

9. Grumpy Guy says:

Same old Carson Palmer….

10. Grumpy Guy says:

Today when you talk about our best defensive player, there are three guys in contention: Justin Smith, Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman (Aldon has taken himself out of it, for the moment, at least).

My prediction is that, very soon, Eric Reid is going to be in that conversation.

11. Alleykat says:

Beautiful pick by Eric Reid.Dude is a ball- hawk specialist.
    Jumped the route,key ball busting block by Bowman as well on the return.
    To bad we had to settle for 3 though.

12. And after that great INT from Reid, our offense has to settle for just 3 in the red zone.
    Shit. We could have kept Alex and had the same results.

13. Grumpy Guy says:

Oh shit… not another Defensive Lineman. FUCK!!!

• I was talking to Berger a bit ago, and told him about how I heard Michael Carter earlier today on the KNBR pregame talk about our 1984 team and how it had 9, NINE defensive lineman. Walsh knew a little bit more then just offense…

• Grumpy Guy says:

Hell, yeah, he did. People forget how innovative we were on defense. Not just Walsh picking great players and getting guys like Hacksaw and Dean and Big Hands Johnson for a song – guys like Seifert and Rhodes and the rest who coached them. Those defenses never got the respect they deserved.

14. Grumpy Guy says:

Not good. Jerod-Eddie at the nose now?

15. LMJ and Nnamdi were “healthy scratches” to use a hockey phrase.
    More solid work on the behalf of Baalke.

16. Peyton Manning with now 22 TD passes. But we’re better off without that mook.

17. Grumpy Guy says:

So has there ever been a game with NO first downs?

18. Grumpy Guy says:

Arizona is moving the ball… wrong direction, though.

19. I heard a great and just unbelievable fact this past week on the Dan Patrick Show. They had a Vegas oddsmaker on and poised a scenario: At the time Denver was a 28 pt fav > Jacksonville. The question: If Peyton Manning and the Jags QB, Gabbert or Henne, were to switch teams, what would the line be then? All things else remain equal. Just the QB switch. The Broncos would have gone from 28 to 11 pt favorites.

Peyton Manning is worth 17 fucking pts on his own. That’s unheard of when it comes to Vegas and gambling. Nothing even comes close to being second. But we’re better off w/o that guy.

I need another drink you fucking mooks.

• philippinefan says:

Not bitin Del

• Bite or don’t bite, makes no matter. The fact is this offense was just handed its second golden opportunity inside the RZ and had to settle for another 3. But we’re better off w/o Peyton Manning. You’re buying next the round…

• Grumpy Guy says:

You’d also need a head coach willing to let Manning be Manning – and NONE of our last three guys would have been down with that. Very few HCs can set aside their ego that way.

20. Grumpy Guy says:

Beautiful throw by Palmer… led Rogers just right… unfortunately, Rogers is on OUR team.

21. And Jimbo has to burn a TO because the play clock was running down.
    That shit wouldn’t happen if Manning were here.

Too bad we don’t have any red zone plays except from the field goal formation.

23. Grumpy Guy says:

THAT’S why you need first downs and TDs.

Son of a bitch! Jumping routes can cost you, too.

25. How bad are the Raiders? They traded for both Carson Palmer and Matt Flynn.

But I got that beat. How bad am I? I BENCHED Larry Fitzgerald in both my leagues today.
    Too bad we don’t have Peyton Manning, we’d be up 14-7. Instead we trail by a pt.

26. Grumpy Guy says:

Nice try at a screen, but too much traffic on that side. Third and long again.

27. Alleykat says:

Well that was a fucked up play by Brock, going for the pick and got toasted for 6.
    No freaking way you give that up 3rd and long for 75 yards fechrissakes.

28. philippinefan says:

9ers too cute with the runnin outside. Theres a 1st down- penalty

29. Grumpy Guy says:

Nice pass by Kap there to VD – the LB was thinking Kap would run and let VD go.

30. Grump, that’s why I HATE Jim Harbaugh. He’s the reason why Peyton Manning isn’t here. He wouldn’t swallow his pride and allow “Manning to be Manning.” But you guys brought up a good name, “Mooch.” I guar-an-damn-tee you if Steve Mariucci was our HC two years ago Peyton Manning would be here. Mooch knows how to run an offense and let the QB run it.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah Mooch would have been okay with Manning. Seifert, too. But probably not Walsh – his offense was his baby and his design. Only room for one genius.

31. Grumpy Guy says:

Nice run – only a yard short. 3rd and 1 is a hell of a lot better tha 2nd and 18.

32. Grumpy Guy says:

Still doing the Sardine Can formations.

• NoFear49er says:

Even so, they only fake it. At least Singletary/Raye knew how to run a goal line jumbo power run.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah… Raye’s problem was they got down there so infrequently that being decent in the Red Zone didn’t help much.

33. Grumpy Guy says:

MAJOR mental error by Kap – needed to throw it away there. Rookie move.

34. And this RZ opportunity doesn’t even result in 3 pts. INT ‘Zona.
    I’m trying to keep up with the drinking, but the offense is making it difficult…

35. Grumpy Guy says:

Okay I did not see the deflection. Still not crazy with the play designs and formations.

36. Why the fuck is Bruce Miller the focus of our offensive attack?

Shoot me now.

37. Grumpy Guy says:

Hey Del, you should have taken 8-7, and screw the pitching duel.

38. Grumpy Guy says:

Call me crazy…. but does anyone else think we should punt on first down and just play defense? LOL

39. Grumpy Guy says:

Well, if you can’t get first downs i guess that works too. Nice bomb to VD.

40. philippinefan says:

DAVIS

41. Grump, it pains me to say that. I’m a defense guy at heart. But the game’s changed, and in my opinion, not for the better. Not even close.

• Grumpy Guy says:

The league is scared of getting sued. No hitting allowed. The days of guys like Butkus and Tatum and Lott are over, it seems.

• I know you have a few years on me when it comes to time served in the NFL. And believe you me, I do appreciate all your comments about the “old” days, but I just enjoyed the game much more back in the ’70’s and ’80’s. Screw that shit. Arizona just scored. WTF happened?

• Grumpy Guy says:

I agree about the 70s and 80s – but nobody cares what us Old Farts think.

• Grumpy Guy says:

In my mind, the NFL/AFL Golden Age starts with the 1961 Packers and ends with the 1989 49ers. Or maybe after 1990, when we let Lott go. For those three decades, the players were larger than life. Since then, not so much.

• I can’t go that far back, but yes. Since my first Niner game in ’73 till about ’90 or ’91, which also happens to be the same time when Mom and I gave up our season tickets. Coincidence? I think not.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Chuckle – my memory does not go back to 1961. 1966 or so… I remember watching the Packers and Chiefs in the first Super Bowl, before they called it “Super”. But I saw a lot of those players going back to ’61 – Deacon, Lilly, Wilson, Olsen, Jimmy Johnson. There were some amazing guys in the 50s before them – Marchetti, Tunnell, Christiansen, Nomellini – but I never saw them.

42. Grumpy Guy says:

Well, that was not a good defensive sequence. Gave it right back.

43. Peyton Manning just threw a Pick 6. Thank Christ we didn’t sign that bum. :D

44. That was one HELLUVA catch by Vernon. Looked it in the whole way.
    Excellent. Nice throw by Kap as well.

45. Grumpy Guy says:

Total bullshit on that spot – the official gave them an extra half yard – Harbaugh is right to challenge this.

46. I’m liking Eric Reid more and more by by the minute. I won’t bring up the comparison, but you guys know who I have in mind. The kid brings the wood.

• Grumpy Guy says:

He hits like he means it, AND he plays smart. He’s going to some Pro Bowls before he’s done.

47. Grumpy Guy says:

Wow. Perfect pass. Exactly placed in Vernon’s arms. DB had it played decently, but you cannot defend that pass.

Like that Lemonaide kid, too.

Finally getting some homer calls!

50. Excuse me. Have you all checked the scoreboard lately?
    We’re only up by 2 and the Cards are driving…

51. That is one of my biggest pet peeves — burning TOs on defense.
    Why?
    I know why, but no excuse. The offense needs those suckers in the last 2 mins…

52. Shh. I think we have this one in the box. No jinx.

Reid and Lemonier excellent today.

54. philippinefan says:

NE TD in last play to take lead

55. Alleykat says:

Hope Chuck didnt try to get that wave going for that injured Player(Campbell),shows no class.

Vernon playin’ some ball today!

57. philippinefan says:

Cute outside run by Frank loses 2 yards. 3 points tanks to Lemoniers strip

58. Alleykat says:

Big 3pts there,setup by the lemonade stand.
    Always dugLemonheads as a kid.
    Better then Boston Bake Beans….:-)

59. Grumpy Guy says:

Justin with the nail in the coffin.

• philippinefan says:

YUP nice. Niners started slow but did it wit D and one O drive

• NoFear49er says:

Good strong finish. Looked like we could go another sixty… or fifteen at least.

Hope we take some of that on the road now.

They keep up these play calls and using Gore like today, he’ll need two artificial knees and a Geritol IV drip to play in December…

Don’t look now, but if the season ended tonight:
    The Niners would be #5 in the NFC, the #1 wildcard.
    Should the Cowpatties hold their lead tonight, that would entitle the Niners to the honor of playing before King Jerry against Tony Choke-O in the Nausoleum.

Heh heh heh.

Surely not the Dallas QB that lit up the record books to the tune of 500+ yards and 5 TDs last week. Hell that’s more’n Al Bundy.

Not to mention the near-perfect on-the-run TD strike I just saw.

How’s the vacation RT? Good to see you.

63. rtfirefly2 says:

Ah, thanks NF. Life’s a vacation when you’re a Niner Fan!
    Just digging out the winter gear here. It’s nearly time for the first snow.

I think playing the Patties in Dallas in Round 1 would be a hoot. Gore would rip Jerry’s heart out (assuming Frank is still standing by then).

Nate Davis update: Nate’s Amarillo Venom defeated the Laredo Rattlesnakes 70-69 to win the Lone Star Arena League 2013 Championship! (So sorry the news is three months late…)

There’s still time Niners!!

Niners!

As for the Cards correct me if I’m wrong, they got their start in Chicago not St. Louis a long time ago. The Kezar days the way pro football once was. A mere minor league compared to todays epic productions. The Stick was considered a vast upgrade at the time. Once baseball was top dog as a sport now merely it’s a sport sandwiched between football games. Really do we give a damn who’s in the World Series this season?

I didn’t get to follow the game that closely, but it appeared that there was a better balance between running and passing the ball. A well played game from what I saw

A recerd-setting 500+ yards, 5 touchdowns, 1 interception, extending plays, making something from nothing all game and you think the one bad play is what loses the game. Hilarious! that you think you can even comment on football outside the color of the uniforms with insight and analysis like that.

Did you even see the play? Nevermind, I know the answer.

Well, NoFear, i’d rather win ugly than lose pretty. Didn’t know you were such a fantasy football fan. Funny thing is, Alex Smith has a better playoff record than Romo. Tell me Romo was on shittier teams than Alex for most of his career.

Losing pretty is what Romo does with regularity. I’m sorry you don’t understand that Romo has had innumerable chances to win important games but has failed miserably in most of them.

Yeah I saw the play. He threw it behind his WR and the LB made the pick. Did you see the final score? I guess you didn’t because Romo’s stats blinded you.

Most every headline after that game read like this:

Late Romo interception helps Broncos to 51-48 win

What part of that don’t you get?

New thread is up by the way . . .