The Walmart Brigade

Yes, here we are down to the last preseason game, AKA the Walmart Bowl. Kappy and Co. will get barely a whiff of the field come tomorrow night in the land down under California. Throw another surfboard on the barbie, mate. This make or break time for bubble players. Literally break time. Years ago I met Doug DuBose, Carl Monroe, and Keith Henderson (kick returners and fringe guys in the 80s) at a party, and DuBose said, pay attention to every special teams play in the preseason. Fringe guys (like Henderson and DuBose) will try to get injured so the team will have to pay them for the year and cut them, or keep them on IR. So, they will go after the biggest dude on the other side of the field and try to get mangled. Interesting strategy at best. Crazy to say the least. But that is the life of a gunner, or any other of the cannon fodder guys thrown out for special teams play in the final preseason game of the season. The Walmart Brigade.

Yes, there will be fierce battles the remaining couple WR spots. Chad Hall, Austin Collie, Lavelle Hawkins, and Kassim Osgood are fighting for the final couple spots behind, Anquan Bouldin, Marlin Moore, Kyle Williams, General Patton, and the injured Crabs and Manningham. Carswell and Chuck Jacobs, both UDFAs, hope to hit the practice squad, with Jacobs leading the way. Back up RB is up for grabs (although Jewell Hampton is doing pretty well so far). Anthony Dixon has shown enough in his role as ST guy and short yardage runner. Seneca Wallace is probably gone, and Scott Tolzein IS gone, thus cementing the emergence of BJ Daniels as the surprise of this camp, and putting Colt McCoy right behind Cappy Kaepernick as the #2 QB. But guys like Jason Shepler, MarQuis Gray, and Alex Debniac look to be playing their final downs in NFL unis tomorrow.

Some of the new additions have done well for themselves. Anquan Bouldin turned out to be insurance for what led to a boatload of injuries to the WR corps. He replaced Crabs, and looked solid in his time out there, Nnamdi Asomugha cemented his spot as 3rd CB, Jon Baldwin looked good last week in his limited reps at WR, Eric Reid locked down Dashon Goldson’s old FS job with authority, and Vance McDonald has proved to be (for all appearances) a capable replacement for Delanie Walker. He even dropped a couple his first time out for old times’ sake.Corey Lemonyay has made Parys Haralson expendable. Glen Dorsey is a wash at this point. He could go either way. The aforementioned Seneca Wallace is most likely gone. The other draft picks (Tank, Lattimore, and Quintin Dial) are nursing various injuries and likely will miss the season.

So, given the hope that the hurt players come back at full strength, it looks as if the Niners already have some insurance in place for next year. As Justin Smith and Frank Gore wind down their illustrious careers over the next couple years, the Niners have Lattimore, Nunter, and LMJ ready to pick up the slack. The D line has newly added Tank, Dial, and Cam Johnson to plug in. They look to cut some solid players out of the 21 that need to be jettisoned August 31st at 3:00 pm PDT, but we’ll get into that after the game tomorrow. Let’s enjoy the spectacle of big men fighting for the right to play a game. Speaking of the Sandy Eggo game, I will be watching mainly to see how the newly anointed backup Colt McCoy does, how the WR battle shakes out, and yeah, maybe look for some extra loud collisions on the special teams plays.

About these ads

51 Responses to The Walmart Brigade

I guess it’s mostly about who makes the practice squad now. I don’t think many players will be surprised by the final cuts.

This is the final audition for the WRs.
    I don’t think there are too many questions on the LBs DL or OL.

Maybe a tweak is made to the Secondary too.
    Gotta be a surprise coming I think.

This Tarell Brown Contract Faux Pas can certainly present some angst I’d think.

Anyone read about the Andy Lee Knuckleball Punt?
    PFT.com put it up earlier tonight.

Interesting reason to watch the game in SD now.

• Alleykat says:

Yeah I heard about that knuckle kick NJ.
      Guess he’s figuring on the punt returner to “Knuckle” under the pressure of his new weapon.

Still some time to work out the Brown deal. I sure hope they do.Or Brown will certainly leave after this year, Thwy stand to lose a lot of DBs after this season. Rogers and Whitner can gladly go. Brown I’d like to see stay.

No doubt Carlos is gone.
      Curious to see if they approach him this week about his price tag too?

Whitner is borderline for me, only because of his leadership back there.
      He sucks in coverage but, he’s got value to a young Secondary.
      We’ll see how that plays out.
      It will be predicated on price.
      Being back in the Playoff Contender picture helps attract better options too.
      Nnamdi is a perfect example.
      Also helps that the Eagles are picking up the bulk of his salary too.

Carlos is a high budget piece, with not so stellar skills to match production.
      We have to get quicker in the slot coverage area.

Whitner’s leadership is undermined by his poor coverage. Can Craig Dahl provide the leadership and better play? For 1/3 the money? Regardless, I think they switch to Dahl, unless he’s flat awful.He’s on a 3 year deal besides. Neither guy is very good at coverage so it’s not like they are losing much.

And the 2014 draft is loaded with DB help. But depending on who stays, they’ll need a couple CBs as well as a SS. Definitely going to be an interesting season and offseason coming up.

6. Per the 49ers, QB Seneca Wallace decided to not make the trip to San Diego for “personal reasons.”

Well, shit. There goes my reason for watching. “Personal reasons.” I know I’m about to get axed, so I want to get a head start on moving my shit out and headin’ back home.

7. The General lands on Normandy once again. TD Patton!

8. Chico says:

Test

9. Chico says:

How did Kap look? I missed the start.

• Pretty damn good. 3/4 for 64 yds and the TD to Patton. All short completions (Moore, VD and Patton) the latter making a nice move and getting a good block downfield to open up the right sideline for the score.

• Chico says:

Thanks Dennis. Right when I turned on the TV Patton just caught a pass from McCoy.. They were talking about the play but never showed it.

The Niners are in deep doo doo if Kap goes down!!

I see absolutely nothing impressive with McCoy

If Kap goes down I see a lot of Singletary offense, a lot of running the ball and very little passing

• Flavor says:

every offense turns to shit if their starting QB goes down. I’m not sure if there has ever been a worse collection of back up QB’s in the NFL as there are this year. They’re all flat-out awful……….

13. Chico says:

Wow. We have a kicker this year!

14. LMJ hurt his knee and will not return. Could be seeing Kyle Williams on PR vs the Pack come Week 1. Kyle Williams and punt returns? That rings a bell for some reason. Somethings tells me I don’t want to answer then open up the door and take a look.

15. Chico says:

Not Niners related, but U$C is going to have a LONG year.. Love it!

Cam Johnson making his push to stay on the team.

Williams is a hell of a lot better than LMJ on punts, Dennis.

Looney is looking pretty bad here. All the backup linemen look pretty bad.

Then again, Cox looks pretty good returning punts.

20. Chico says:

I’m not watching, but what did Hawkins do?

Play of the night, Chico. Find a highlight. A high pass tipped off his hands that he then caught and took a huge hit, bounced off it, broke 3-4 tackles and took it to the house for a 55 yard score.

BJ looks a hell of a lot better than Colt at this point.

Lots of bubble guys had big nights. Hawkins and Cam Johnson most noticeably. .

Thanks, Chico. Hawkins may not make the team, but that was a great play. He may pass Osgood though with his night tonight..

Looks like SD and the Raiders will be fighting for that #1 draft pick next year.

25. Chico says:

If he doesn’t I hope someone picks him up..

I think he just might stay with the KO return and the night he had tonight.

27. Chico says:

Sorry, forgot about the photo thing. Never mind.

Is the Pre-season over yet? …….hello…..

Yes, Nippy. Everybody played last night. Preseason is over. Wake Dennis.

Maybe they have a WR or two after all. Not world beaters, but guys that can catch the ball and actually juke a guy or two for a few YAC. Baldwin looks like he’s got stone hands, or terra cotta, at least. Anyway, for the bust that was Jenkins, its early, but looks like Baalke may have scored with that Patton pick…

I like the way our WR’s look, they’re aggressive and show a lot of talent. If we can stay healthy we will compete with anyone. We take GB in week one but to win in Seattle it’s gonna take some real good game planning, I hope Harbs and the staff has it in em. There has to be a way to send clear signals with all that noise.

One thing encouraging was the time left on the play clock during most plays. Usually they are cutting it down to 3 seconds or under. Most of this preseason, I didn’t see it get under 6 very much. I absolutely HATE delay of game penalties. The false starts appeared to be down as well, as were penalties in general (unless you are Lavelle Hawkins!).

Hope he sticks. The dude is dynamic. Patton played very well as well. Good to see these guys stepping up. Moore was very solid. Baldwin is living up to his issues, but at least he has size.

33. rtfirefly2 says:

GREAT Western on now finishing now. “The Way West” with Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum, and a host of character actors.
    About a wagon train moving from Mizzou to Oregon (I lived in Nebraska AND Oregon).
    Has the season started yet? If I see another great movie I’ve never seen before I’m going to croak.

• Beginning Sunday morning at 7, TCM is running a Hitchcock marathon that includes such classics as, “Murder!,” “Rope,” “Marnie” and one of my, and Hitchcock’s favorites as well, “Shadow of a Doubt” with Teresa Wright. It was filmed right over here in the North Bay in Santa Rosa. I always enjoy a film a little extra when I can say to myself, “Hey! I know that street. I’ve walked by that house before.”

34. I have nothing of relevance to say, what else is new? But I truly wanted to be comment #49. Sounds silly, I know. But trust me. It makes sense to me. How much? I owned and proudly wore an Earl Cooper jersey as a young 49er fan. Straight outta Rice. Not Jerry, I’m talkin’ the Owls. Who? :P

Matt hot tub leinhart was just cut from the bills. If he had chosen to come to a year early, he woulda likely been a 49er. Instead of Smith. The mind boggles.

New thread is up.