Tarell Brown and the Cornerback Situation

Word out of 4949 Centennial Blvd is that Tarell Brown and his (new) agent are working on a new deal that will hopefully (for Tarell) recoup some of the $2 million he left on the table by not attending the team’s voluntary work out program. He says he doesn’t want to be a distraction, but in the same breath says he ‘hasn’t moved on’ from it. I guess that WOULD be hard to move on from, but in the end he should have been paying attention to his contract, or gotten word from his agent about it.

What makes this more interesting is that this is Brown’s contract year. His 3 year-$7 million extension he signed in 2009 is set to expire after this season. Seeing as he’s the best CB currently on the team, it would be in the Niners best interest to get this figured out fairly quickly. Tarell wants this resolved by game 1, and I think they should figure something out as well. Leaving him hanging after the money snafu would pretty much be his one-way ticket out of town.

Brown is saying the right things and insists he doesn’t want this to be a distraction. He says he’s letting his new agent handle things while he goes about his business, but the “I haven’t moved on’ remark is telling. This is a difficult time for the team where the defensive backfield is concerned. One where they had the opportunity to draft for more secondary help. But for a team with an untested Eric Wright taking over for Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner and Carlos Rodgers slipping, an unknown in Nnamdi Asomugha, and 2nd stringers like Tre Brock, Perrish Cox, and Eric Wright waiting in the wings, you’d think the Niners would want to figure out something as well. And that was before Chris Culliver went down with a season ending knee injury.

Signing Brown should be priority #1 at this point.

About these ads

59 Responses to Tarell Brown and the Cornerback Situation

Okay!

At this point I believe SF is considered a great organization to be associated with and that players have a desire to be here. Lots of reasons for this but one thing is for certain, If the players don’t feel they get a fair shake that could change in an instant. It’s not the 49ers fault what happened with Brown but they now have the opportunity to show both Brown and the league what a classy org. we really are. Management should bite the bullet on this one and pay the man. IMHO.

Chuck I think the process is going to take care of itself.
    As Winder stated, it’s a chance to show we can take care of the guys worth keeping, while hopefully getting a Team friendly Cap number in return.

What complicates things are Iupati, Aldon and Kaep for starters.

My feeling is, the Draft Class this year was heavy in S/DLine needs which we addressed.
    Next year there are some very good looking prospects at the CB position which could be the reason we’re filling slots with FAs this time around.

Baalke has been pretty saavy at shopping the Draft for the right pieces when the pool of talent favors his needs.

As for WRs?
    They’ve always been a quirky bunch to shop for. College stars typically don’t master the NFL demands quickly
    As hard as it is to find a Pro Caliber QB in the Draft, WRs are probably the next position in terms of degree of failure.

Tom Brady has never seen the addition of a Calvin Johnson for the same reasons we now face.

When you’re Drafting later in the Rd, the WR talent drops off bigtime.
    Hence, having extra Picks and fewer needs is the next best option.
    Trade up Tokens.

This is the formula for success over the long haul.
      Acquire Picks from the Teams trying to rebuild and, having good talent evaluators to make the proper Picks at the right time.

Yeh, Baalke whiffed on AJ but, he quickly addressed the OLine when he got the reigns from McCloughan then carefully built the core that good Teams need to sustain stability.

When the chance comes for a Jerry Rice or Deion Sanders-type player you sometimes have to push all the chips to middle of the bargaining table and take your shot.

The Cowpatties would’ve never been dominant years ago if not for Jimmy Johnson and the boatload of Picks he had to work with.
      Jimmy knew what football players looked like.
      Jerruh is still trying to figure that out.

Good Teams are good because they don’t waste Picks.
      They shop well and don’t overpay.

4. rtfirefly2 says:

NJ, great analysis as always,
    Chuck, Hotllana spent 10 picks on Jones, not 5.

Thx RT.
      I’ve always been a fan of GMs that get the pieces on Draft Day that payoff.
      Ozzie, in Baltimore, is one guy that rarely misses.
      Walsh, Parcells, Belichick always seemed to get the right pieces when they needed them too.

Hence, I’ve become obsessed with the Draft process, trying to see if I can identify guys we might want on our Roster.

Baalke has been pretty impressive thus far.

What’s really changed the landscape for GMs is Cap Mgt.
        Not only do you need talent, you need to pay them.
        Paraag is quietly hammering the ledger beyond the scenes for us and doing a very good job at keeping the guys they want and letting others get paid elswhere.

The NYJ are the poster children for how to wreck a Roster with garbage Contracts.
        This is the reason guys like Tannenbaum and Pioli are color analysts now.

Uh, no RTF. 5 picks

5. rtfirefly2 says:

I watched the draft where Julio Jones went to Hotlana,
    Jerry Rice he ain’t.

That’s the rub.
      Atlanta thought he was. They went all in.
      Guys like Jerry are once in a generation-type players.
      Everyone thinks they’ll find the next one.

I love guys like Bruce Miller.
        Late Rd steals that just come to play football everyday.
        Teams can get rich by finding those gems that others overlook.
        BJ Daniels? Time will tell.

I had Bruce on my Draft List at his DE position.
        Baalke saw his talent as a FB.
        I’m impressed.

• rtfirefly2 says:

Lenvil Elliot – NE Missouri.
        You never know where you will find a gem.
        Didn’t Jerry go to Southwest Mississippi State?

Mississippi Valley State
        AKA Jerry Rice University

I’ve got high hopes for Quinton Patton too.
        Louisiana Tech isn’t known for prolific WRs or top notch football in general.
        Patton is one of those ‘just play to win’ guys.

Hoping he’s another steal for us.

6. rtfirefly2 says:

What town? I drove through the whole South but didn’t have time to stop and look.
    The BeachBoys are completely wrong, BTW. Nothing beats Southern gals.
    Good thing I’m single.

Itta Bena MS
      Delta Devils.
      Yes, Southern Belles are everything they’ve been said to be.
      Sweet as Sunshine.

• rtfirefly2 says:

I stopped at LSU in Baton Rouge for awhile, but that was about it.
        Mississip was all casinos along the Gulf Coast.

My oldest Son dated a knockout from GA while he was attending WVU years back.
      Only issues there were religion, (Bible Belt) and, you couldn’t get her out of the bathroom in the morning.
      Apparently takes a lot of prep time to be beautiful down there.

• rtfirefly2 says:

I only spent about 10 minutes in Georgia.
        I worked at a lumberyard for 2 months in Alabamy. Computer dolt as usual.
        My Marine uncle and my aunt lived in KKK land in Florida.
        Yeah, I’ve been there and it’s fucking beautiful.

I’ve traveled around the SE quite a bit myself.
        Wouldn’t mind living in FL or AL down the road.
        See where the roads lead me.
        Carolinas are nice too.

7. rtfirefly2 says:

North Carolina. FL and Bama are too hot in the summer.
    NC, you have to have snowshoes to get ready for winter.
    South Carolina is great, too, but hotter. Much hotter.

Yes, weather is certainly a consideration.
      But being a born and bred Northeasterner, I’m getting sick of Winters.
      See how it shakes out.
      Gotta marry off a couple of Daughters before I even think about a change of address.

• rtfirefly2 says:

North Carolina would be perfect. I want to move there.
        Get your ducks set up, because you never know if another hurricane is coming along.
        Get friends and relatives who can help you. Then you can have the beauty.

Well, I and the ghost of Blackbeard like Ocracoke, or Belize for leaving it all behind.

NJ49er, one problem we have and have had in drafting WRs among others is the lack of a system. Walsh, Tuna and Belichick all knew (know) what type of player fits their system and what it takes to be that type of player. The skills and the difficulties involved in being able to deliver what they desire.

If we ever get a system established the head coach, position coaches, scouts and GM can identify and target those guys much easier.

Good point NoFear49er.
      I think they had the right idea with AJ.
      We needed a speed guy to take the lid off of the coverage.
      Ginn was probably a step in that direction but, he obviously didn’t have the talent either.

Walsh, Tuna and Belichick all had solid Defenses in mind too.
      We’ve got that now.
      We’ve also got what looks to be a bonafide QB, to challenge any Defense, anywhere on the Route Tree too.
      Boldin was a steal.
      Too bad Crabtree went down. The 2 of them would certainly have benefitted from each
      other.
      Belichick has never really featured a running game either.
      He may have to crank that up if he expects to keep Brady upright this year.
      Aaron Rodgers is in that boat too.

We have all the pieces but the WRs it seems. Not a bad point in our development finally.

This is why I believe we’re at the apex.
      We can now focus on a smaller segment of the Team.
      Our foundation is solid.

Should we have the chance to identify a key WR or CB in April, those extra Picks are what we’ll need to make a Walsh-like strike for what we all hope WILL BE the next Jerry or Deion.

I do think Reid was a solid move to address a need this year too.
      Again, we’ll see how it plays out over the long haul.
      You know he’s going to be picked on early and often.

Baalke went heavy on the DLine Picks with the future in mind.
        Lemonier and Moody will likely make contributions quickly also.
        Tank is waiting to learn and, likely take over the duties of Justin.

We’re now looking to cap off the Roster with a couple of key contributors.

My Draft List will be focusing on the WR and CB positions.

Well, RTF, there’s nothing wrong with Julio Jones. Atl has a pretty potent set of pass catchers in white, jones, and Gonzalez at TE. He may not be Jerry, but he’s much closer to Jerry than what we have.

The shame of all this is that Crabs, Bouldin, and Manningham will likely never play together. That would be a solid set of WRs. Yeah,they are still looking for the deep threat. Baldwin certainly has the ability. He just needs some mental adjustments.

10. Chuck, I had to sign in via Twitter to comment. WordPress wouldn’t allow it. But it does over at Skeebers. I dunno.

We can land a man on the fucking moon but I have to sign in twice…

Great defenses hide a lot of sins. But you know I’ve always been an offensive guy who studies QBs.
    Vince Lomardi and Tom Landry were the coordinators for the multiple championship ’50s Cleveland Browns.
    Funny little guy was an assistant. Name of Bill Walsh.
    What goes around comes around.

12. rtfirefly2 says:

*Lombardi*
    Heck, we could call it the Paul Brown Trophy. He started the Bengals after he had a fight with ownership.
    After all those championships.

13. barleyfreak says:

NJ–I think Patton is going be pretty good too.

14. rtfirefly2 says:

Paul Brown was the guy who got Bill Walsh blackballed around the league.
    One great reason to enjoy the Niners 2 SB victories over the Bungles.

• NoFear49er says:

Walsh gives Paul Brown nothing but credit, after he got over a bad case of the red ass that is.

Funny to think that early on BW worked for Marv Levy at Berkeley as DC and then became DB coach at Stanford.

Lockette the rocket has took off to pastures greener and they signed Seneca Wallace. McCoy is hearing footsteps…

Lombardi and Landry coached for the NY Giants in the ’50s . . .

Walsh may say good things about Paul Brown, but kicking Cncy’s ass 2x must have felt pretty satisfying.

Shit, saw the Wallace signing, and I can’t say I blame Baalke after seeing last week’s game. Tolzein is all but gone, and McCoy is on notice. Trade Scotty to the Jets for a 4th round pick . . .

Too bad about Lockette. He has size and speed.

My guess is they keep Tolzien and it’s between Wallace and McCoy for the shit can with McCoy likely the guy in it.

Bill Walsh got his Master’s Degree in Football from San Jose State University.
    I was born in San Jose.
    Just so you know.

18. rtfirefly2 says:

Jim Plunkett went to James Lick HS.
    Just in case any of y’all doubt me.

Bill played football at SJSU then, after his Army tour where he boxed and played football at Ft Ord, came back to SJSU to pursue an advanced degree and was then on staff as an assistant coach under Coach Bob Bronzan. I think he got his first real job as HC of Washington High in Fremont. Then was hired by Levy then got on at Stanford.

I don’t know about Levy being at SJSU. Story I remember is Levy talked to the SJSU coach, Bronzan, asking for a coach recommendation and Bronzan suggested he talk to Bill at Washington High. Marv was impressed enough to hire Bill to Berkeley.

Ask Grumpy, he has all the photos, too.

20. It’s no wonder Kap has only played two series this preseason and now dons the black “Don’t you fucking dare touch our QB” jersey in practice. Harbaugh knows if something happens to #7 it’s going to be like rolling a 7 on the craps table after establishing your number.

7 out! Line away. Don’ts you pay. Last come gets some. We’re crapped out.

That’s true of just about every team in the NFL, Dennis. But, bitch away . . .

• As it should be. But don’t you think Jimbo is being a little too over-protective? Brady, Stafford, Newton and Flacco all played the first half last night. I’d be surprised if Kap plays more than two series on Sunday night. I just think he and our new WRs could use some actual game time minutes together. But Jimbo knows best. After all, he knows how to lose a Super Bowl better than I do.

And you miss Alex Smith I suppose.

23. rtfirefly2 says:

Bullitt has Bill’s Master’s Thesis on file somewhere.

Buwwitt has EVERYTHING on file. He has every post everyone has made for the past 5 years.

New thread is up.