The Trade of the Century

Or not. In an exchange of massively disappointing WRs, the 49ers traded AJ Jenkins to the Kansas City Chiefs for Jon Baldwin. Baldwin has been labelled a bust due to his propensity of dropping a lot of passes, and for the inexplicable ‘talent’ of making easy catches harder by not using both hands. AJ? Well, the label on him is pretty well documented. He showed up last year out of shape and did little to get in shape or prepared to see the field. 3 targets and 0 catches his first year. This season he supposedly rededicated himself to the game, and promised to work out and get with the program. Instead, He spent camp catching and falling down. Apparently avoiding contact at all costs. In 2 preseason games, AJ has one catch for 12 yards that he promptly fumbled.

So, who got the better end of the deal? Well, based on the numbers, the Niners in a landslide. Well, molehill slide. At least Baldwin has made plays. And scored some points. And put up yards in actual games. Thing is, he’ll more than likely be on the team as his contract is guaranteed through this season. Yes, this smacks of desperation on the Niners part. They need WRs like Eskimos need cold. But it also goes to show that some team will always take someone else’s garbage. AJ could have very well been cut after the preseason. But I guess the same can be said of Baldwin. Baldwin is fast, though, so the thought that we now have a vertical guy is at least better than the AJ option.

But yeah, in the end, both were busts. However, I think the upside is better with a guy like Baldwin than Jenkins. Jenkins appears to have a pretty small heart. It’s harder to teach heart than it is to teach hands.

About these ads

35 Responses to The Trade of the Century

CHANGE OF SCENERY will work wonders! Well ….lets hope.

I called major bust on Jenkins early last season, like lots of others. Harbs, oh no, he’s going to be fine. Nah, you don’t HIDE a first round WR all season, unless you got something really bad to hide. Well, the verdict rendered today is MONUMENTAL BUST, after two games where the stink couldn’t be hidden any longer. But, looks on paper that the Niners got less stink than they gave up. We’ll see about Baldwin — at least he’s actually caught a few balls in anger. I still don’t understand how the Niners just cannot seem to get a stable of decent WRs. I’m not asking for Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Paul Warfield. Just guys that can get it done. There are 300 colleges in this country that play football of some sort. And they draft Jenkins? Baalke’s got to go back and review that process. Something went wildly wrong. He literally wasted a first round pick = no contribution, none, zilch from that pick. Whatever Baalke did, hey, don’t EVER do that again. I’d like to have been a fly in the wall in that Baalke / Harbs meeting when that trade went down — who was more pissed?…

Andy to Alex: What’s the problem with all the check downs?

Alex to Andy: Baldy doesn’t read routes and adjust like I do, give me a guy like AJ and I can go deep once or twice a game, really.

Andy to Alex: Okay, now show me!

Alex: I’ll do it coach.
    Oops I missed again.
    Can I go back to my $50mil mansion?
    Maybe I can grow grapes or something.

5. rtfirefly2 says:

Massive T-Storm on top of up today. More floods. I feel SOOOO sorry for those football players.

all this does is give both GM’s a little buffer zone from getting skewered on those bad picks. Moving them out for a new guy is like a magic trick, “nuthin’ up my sleeve” type of shit.
    I supported the Jenkins pick because of what Baalk-Baugh did with the A-Smith pick the year before. But clearly, they whiffed completely.
    I have no opinion on Reid since Baalk-Baugh is 1-1 on their first round picks. His performance, no matter how fantastic or horrible, will not surprise me in the least…..

Trent Baalke has the name of the Niners pick in a sealed envelope. It should have stayed in the friggin envelope.

This move puts AJ back in the Midwest and, frees up our Cap next year if Baldwin doesn’t make the most of this Season to show he’s worth the investment.
    We got an underachiever who at least has some game action to show for himself.
    AJ?
    He’s afraid of contact IMO.
    Awfully tough to avoid contact when you choose to play in the NFL.

Each guy in this deal is one step closer to the exit door.

Kudos to Baalke for recognizing a personnel deficiency and cutting his losses quickly.
    Hats off to Marlon Moore for seizing the moment too.

Well, Moore’s certainly played as little as the rest of the starters . . . Hope to see a little more of the starters vs the Vikes. Kappy has about 8 plays under his belt.

And, based on what little I’ve seen, we are again wondering if Harbaugh is keeping the more exciting shit under wraps.

Drafting players is a crapshoot as AJ Jenkins proves once again. Of course new surroundings may be the tonic needed to jumpstart this stalled player.

Did Harbs force Baalke’s hand by publicly announcing AJ would be auditioning as a return guy on ST? The #1 pick WR? Or am I reading too much into it?

Not uncommon for GM and coaches to disagree about talent level. Last year Fangio refused to rotate the D line and Baalke publicly said that was a scheme issue on Fangio not a talent issue on the players he provided.

Food for thought if your hungry.

Harbaugh is a lot like Bruce Bochy of the Giants. He’ll rarely take anything public regarding a player unless it’s for motivational purposes. Harbaugh even less so. It’s all peace love and granola with him. At least for public consumption. As I said, I’m sure it’s a much different story in the locker room.

As far as the defense goes, there was a fairly steep fall-off regarding the backups. Especially on the D line. As NoFear said on numerous occasions. Which is why the draft went heavy on D line bodies. Ian Williams looks very solid up front. The rest of the starters look good. Dorsey? Well, we’ll see. Ididn’t catch much of the KC game, but he wasn’t there much in the Denver game. I think this Minnesota game will see a lot of the starters play for at least a half (I hope so anyway), so we should get a better sense of who is doing what. The problem with the draft choice help for line depth, Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial have yet to reach the practice field. Both are coming off injuries and may or may not be on the PUP list to start the season. Is so, they both would be ineligible for the first 6 games. Not a huge deal, but if they get hit by injuries on the line, there will be depth problems all over again.

As far as the trade goes, I’m sure Baalke is keenly aware of how bad Jenkins was doing his job. The fact they got someone even serviceable is a pretty good deal. And they are off the hook for Jenkins’ guaranteed money next year.

Could be another reclamation project that Harbaug/Baalke pull off, or they just cut Baldwin after the season is over. The dude certain;y has talent. He’s just a head-case, apparently.

14. rtfirefly2 says:

Some SF trivia for the day.
    The term “Shanghied” came from the curious practice of downtown bartenders slipping opium into visitors drinks, and they would wake up on “A Slow Boat to China” (Doris Day).
    North Beach, where Joe DiMaggio died, was built out of abandoned ships and boats during the Gold Rush.
    Off for today, I think mostly.
    Try the restaurants in Washington Square, especially if the owner lets you stay way beyond closing time.

15. rtfirefly2 says:

And gives you a free bottle of his best wine, because you’re out with the most beautiful girl from St. Mary’s in Moraga.
    And you argue with your roommates over her after you get back to Berkeley.
    And her friends and her come back two weeks later.
    Just psyching up for the season.
    I LOVE Broadway shows and Washington Square.
    The Embarcadero and watching the ships in the Bay.
    I’m ready now.

You working for the Chamber of Commerce?

• rtfirefly2 says:

No Nipper, I never did get the girl. She was way of my league.
        But when the restaurant owner locks the doors and gives you free wine, after hours, it’s hard to forget.
        Her friend puked like crazy back at the apartment. We just had to sleep on the floor that night and make sure she didn’t die of alcohol.
        College days.

16. rtfirefly2 says:

Q: Who carried or caught the ball on 9 of the Niners last drive plays in the NFL Champ game 1981?
    A: Lenvil Elliot

17. rtfirefly2 says:

Lenvil Elliot was the unsung hero who created The Dynasty.
    9th rounder.

Chuck,
    Maiocco cleared up the AJ Contract ramifications.
    The Club still gets dinged on his Guaranteed Money between this year and next.
    To the tune of $3.5M.
    The upside of the deal is, Baldwin isn’t guaranteed squat next year.
    Baalke bought a chance to see whether he’ll get the big bodied WR we need to match up with Seattle for this year, without any obligations next year.

I also think Patton is an insurance move if Crabtree can’t be retained.
    I’m still putting a WR high on the Draft List for April.

I don’t see Crabs extending with the Niners either.

It’s gonna be rough keeping the guys we have 12th.
        Of the big 4, Iupati, Aldon, Kaep and Crabtree I think the WR loses by default.
        I’m sure they’ll try.
        Cap dollars can only go so far.

Yeah, I think you guys are right. Crabs is fine as what he is, but he isn’t the home run hitter we need. I just don’t get how they make this so hard. WRs shouldn’t be this difficult to find. Bouldin better stay upright this year. He’s the closest thing we’ve had to a #1 WR in a while. Since TO?

20. rtfirefly2 says:

TO was a cancer in the locker room and after hours.
    Look at Freddie Solomon and Mike Wilson. Lenvil Elliot and Dwight Clark.
    How’s Julio Jones doing in Atlanta after they mortgaged the franchise to get him?
    One boy doesn’t make a team unless his name is Joe Montana or Jerry Rice.

21. rtfirefly2 says:

Mike Wilson, 9th round.
    Dwight Clark, 10th round.
    Earl Cooper, Eason Ramson, Ricky Patton. I don’t remember.
    It takes more than 1 guy to make a team.
    And Freddie Solomon was the best of the best.
    They were all castaways straight off of Gilligan’s Island.

Not sure what your point on Julio Jones is, RTF. He had a pretty damn good year last year,
    79-1,198-10 TDs. And they were very close to reaching the super bowl. He’s the deep threat we don’t have.

23. rtfirefly2 says:

He is, Chuck. But Hotlana gave up ten draft choices for him.
    That’s an entire secondary and linebacker corp.
    That was my point.

It was 5, and you can’t fault them for taking their shot. Funny thing is, KC got Jonathan Baldwin with that 27th pick that Atl traded to Cleve, and then went to KC. Cleve made THAT trade pay off by getting Phil Taylor, the NT from Baylor. The 59th pick was Greg (who?) Little, WR. The 1289th pick they got Own Marecic, FB from Snodfart. Decent, but so far, the trade looks pretty good for Atl. The 2012 pick was Brandon Weeden as they traded their 4th pick to Minn. So, Cleveland got a decent blocking FB for Julio Jones. Great deal in my book. As we are finding out, great WRs are hard to find.

New thread is up BTW