Alex vs Kappy Part XLVIII

Well, based on he first preseason drives of both QBs, the Niners would have been better off sticking with young Sir Alex. Just kidding. Game one is in the books. And while too much can’t be gleaned from it, some players looked good early. Kappy led a nice opening drive until a penalty (stop me if this sounds familiar) stalled out a drive. Richard Dawson came in to kick a FG. The first string D looked nice even without J Smith. A Smith got pressure on PM to stall Denver’s first drive. After that it was backup time. Turnovers ensued, and the rest was pretty much sloppy, but some players looked good. Ian Williams, ice soap’s replacement, played well, and provided a nice push up front. Something Mike Nolan stressed him not to do. Something which he became great at not doing. Eric Reid played a nice game and laid the wood on a couple guys. However he had a mild back strain in practice today.

The other big pick in the draft, Vance McDonald, played a fairly solid game, with a couple drops. One pass he alligatored, the other was a flat drop. This was his knock coming in, and the hope is he can lose that problem, as well as pick up pointers on how to block. He has great size and power as a pass catcher, and is a nice big target. The fight for #2 WR was apparently going toward Marlon Moore and Kassim Osgood. They both made a few nice catches, while AJ Jenkins, who was in for more plays, managed to make one catch and then promptly fumbled it away. All in all, tough sledding for a guy who can’t seem to do anything right.

The bad? Well, neither back up QB looked very good. That had something to do with the shaky line play by the backup O line, bit still and all, the luxury of having 2 starting caliber QBs like we did last year is but a memory. Tukafu on the line was washed out on a few plays but he had a couple good plays as well, AJ, Dawson missed a FG to close the half, and the turnovers led to the only TD, when DJ Harper fumbled and it was returned for a flop 6. Dorsey was invisible, and each backup QB had a pick. The good news was a light injury report.

About these ads

84 Responses to Alex vs Kappy Part XLVIII

Woof!

My favorite play of the game came when Ricardo Lockette made that great ST tackle near the Broncos goal line. That was the only time I jumped outta my chair. And although Lockette didn’t have any catches, he did draw two PI penalties.

3. Berger says:

Alex Smith scored a TD from the red zone, we stalled in the red zone. To say this makes Alex better, only 12th man would make that connection. Alex had the same problem in the red zone here last year. The concern for me is for our play calling in the red zone. One game is not a large enough sample size but seeing Alex not struggle in the red zone should alert our coaches to their play calling. Personally, I think the problem is more in the use of the wrong formations than bad play calling.

Nice Bergs. Not my connection, I just pointed out the pointlesness of the supposed connection, but you knew that already eh?

Good to parry with you anyway.

• Berger says:

I’m just hoping our play calling gets better. That was the facetious point of the Alex red zone comparison. I don’t care what Alex does except win 8 games this year.

Good to parry with you too.

Young guys playing to impress, old guys playing not to get hurt and coaches looking for one-on-one battles and game-time reaction rather than who’s winning on the scorebaord. Not really a great time to stake out this years who’s who in football.

NT needs to play with discipline. Getting a push on passing downs often translates to getting trapped and whammed on running plays for young players. See Ndamukong Suh, finally getting better after learning the lessons Nolan was teaching.

Some folks just worship the spread even if it gets the QB killed. Mostly college ball fans I think.

5. ninerdog says:

Berger, are you stick combing your eyebrows by licking them? How you doin?…uhhh don’t tell me!
    Good to see ya you old stick!
    Hey, you know who had a good showing was Haralson. If he comes back strong like he was a couple years ago, that will go a long way to spelling that D-line. He not only can pressure the QB but he holds that corner pretty good. The running-back just doesn’t get around him on the outside. He plays pretty strong there. Keeping Aldon Smith fresh will mean trouble for opposing offenses in the 4th Qtr.
    As far as the red zone, penalties don’t help. They had a couple of holding calls that stopped them cold. This is preseason, they are relying on execution to score in the red zone right now.
    They aren’t going to show anything new and exciting ’till the regular season starts.
    But…I agree, they better get off the shitter and call something other than the same shit 3 times in a row…if they want to be successful down there.

6. ninerdog says:

oops I meant to say “STILL combing your eyebrows by licking them…” excuse the typo

Life is just too fucking strange for me right now. The angel of death must be lurking.
    I went to the diner next door for lunch (that is a meal for a day) and they gave me my favorite waitress, who I would kill for if she weren’t taken.
    Then I met a woman traveling through from Arkansas, who was scared of how much she had to travel. With a local pretty school teacher at the table across in the conversation.
    Nothing happened, just the best chat I’ve had in years. Just from going to get vegetable beef soup.
    There’s plenty of time for Niner football yet. Right now I just have to calm down and watch some Niner film.
    The woman I met is about 10 years older and I’m not the least bit interested that way. But her life and mine were married somehow.
    Off to Niner films. This is one weird state.

8. rtfirefly2 says:

“Joe Montana is the best quarterback of all time”. – John Madden
    “He is the best of all time, no question.” – Jerry Rice

Oh yeah, I’m gearing up for the season.

9. rtfirefly2 says:

Well, enough film for today.

Twinnie, I really think your boy Alex will be happy in KC. They are a good young team and he gets to compete and learn from Peyton twice a year.
    He could become a great QB. He was never going to do it in SF.

Freakin’ Montana films never get old. Kappy has a LOT to learn.

Alex Smith has a chance to become a great QB? What kind of chance? So you’re telling me there’s a chance…

RTF, I forgot. Are you good to go this yr for FF?

11. rtfirefly2 says:

No Dennis, thank you though. Too much cleanup work to do after these blasted storms.
    The UFO Coyotes, league champions, will be back next year.

No problem. You have more pressing needs than FF. As always, I wish you the best. Hope you can still find the time to make it here for game days. You know I always enjoy your commentary.

12. rtfirefly2 says:

Dennis, “Coyotes” is a very sensitive term in these parts. That’s why I wanted to get rid of it.
    I’ve seen and kept my friends from real coyotes, but the term also means smugglers and I didn’t know that when I took it.
    The Lobos. That’s Wolves and the UNM mascot. Next year.

13. rtfirefly2 says:

I still want to be the Roadrunners. I reserve that name.

If you have ever raced with one down a New Mexico highway, you would know what I mean.

They are New Mexico’s state bird, and very rare. Incredibly beautiful, and faster than the Benz when they are fleeing a coyote.

Somebody else can take the Lobos. I want the Roadrunners.

Dennis, Alex has improved dramatically since his injury.
    The key though is the team, the coach (a QB guru) and the fanbase in KC.
    Finally, the fact that the Chiefs have not had an NFL caliber QB in YEARS.
    Alex has a chance with a good young team and a great coach in a great place.
    I ain’t writing him off.

Dennis, will you survive watching Alex play the Niners?

Speaking of injuries, per the AP wire feed, Vance McDonald has an undisclosed injury and will miss the KC game. Yippee. Can we get any more guys hurt?

Just waiting to hear about the next round of nutcrackers.

I won’t be getting hit by 300 lb. linemen or any blitzing linebackers Friday night. I like my chances of surviving a whole helluva lot better than Alex’s.

16. rtfirefly2 says:

Remember, the Chiefs once won the Super Bowl. 23-0 over the Vikes if I remember correctly.
    Their fans are as crazy as anybody but haven’t had anything to root for since Hank Stram retired.
    They have a HC now. The AFC West is going to be a blast this year.

17. rtfirefly2 says:

23-7. My bad. How many passes did Len Dawson complete during the demolition of the Vikes in SB IV?
    Alex can be very happy there.

18. rtfirefly2 says:

Fuckin’ A. I can’t even walk outside the front door without somebody asking about the Benz.
    Shit, they used to use them as taxicabs in Syria. The people don’t know that.
    Sometimes, I just wish I had a Honda Civic.
    Time for some Janis Joplin again. “Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color TV.”

19. rtfirefly2 says:

What the hell do I care? Based on some research because of things my dear old Mum told me and owned, I discovered that I’m an heir to the Throne of England.
    A direct descendant of King Henry VIII and one of the wives he executed, Anne Boleyn.
    I’m 64 millionth in line, but I do have a claim to the Throne.
    Stuff like that makes me love British movies from the ’50s, especially “Kind Hearts and Coronets” about British royalty getting knocked off one by one. All 8 played by Alec Guiness.

20. rtfirefly2 says:

64 million to go, and I’m King.
    Just to lighten the mood a bit, Chuck.
    True about my ancestry, too, but sometimes football film gets stale and you have to joke.

21. rtfirefly2 says:

I’m really studying Bill Walsh’s offense, and trying to compare it in my mind against the Pistol.
    I’m ready to trade Kappy after what he did. There are other QBs and other offenses.
    Walsh ALWAYS had other QBs for completion. Colleges bring great ones every year.

22. rtfirefly2 says:

*competition”. Just get a new John Brodie. I don’t even remember the real losers, and there are many.

You are forgetting the Montana years in KC, RTF. They got close . . .

As far as trading Kappy and bringing back Brodie, let me have what you are smoking.

You’re killin’ me, Chuck. Do you think other teams might trade a secondary for Kappy?
    Seriously, he had one great year and he has developed a big head.

25. rtfirefly2 says:

Vick Syndrome all over again. Don’t fall over yourself over a guy that had 1 good year.

You may be right about Vick syndrome RT but I don’t think I’d trade Kap just because the possibility exists from one offseason.

RTF, it was 1/2 a year. But, what’s the alternative? Trade for Matt Flynn? We shoulda kept Alex?

I have no idea where this is coming from. What more could the guy do? Besides win the Super Bowl?

I’m more concerned with the red zone offense, anyway.

Oh, I agree about not trading Kappy. I’ve just been trying to put up a warning flag.

Joe was a wild man when he was a pup, but he still kept it classy.

I’m sure Peyton is no saint, either, but he is the epitome of class and a soon to be 1st ballot HOF.

Just trying to liven things up and keep things in perspective.

29. rtfirefly2 says:

Sometimes when an ultra-talented youngster starts getting a big head, he needs to be kicked in it.

The best horse riders out here are confident, even cocky (gals too, my friends’ daughter was a multiple champion). But they know their limitations and they keep a sense of humility.

My friends’ daughter is studying to be a nurse in Tucumcari, not too far from here. That was the essence of my point if I ever had one.

After watching hour after hour of Montana tape and the glory years, I’m probably Daffy Duck now.

30. rtfirefly2 says:

I don’t want Kappy to turn out like “Big Ben”, who if not for his personal bodyguards from the Penn State Police would be in prison now.
    Or Bret Favre, flashing his stuff to a woman on the Internet.
    If he wants to be Tom Brady with a supermodel woman, or Tony Romo or something, OK.
    Boys will be boys.

31. rtfirefly2 says:

Here’s what I’m talkin’ about. ESPN2, and the starting QB was hurt.
    Steve Spurrier, former Niner and HC of the Gamecocks, went national that he wouldn’t open the season because he was “hurt”.
    The starting QB got healthy in 24 hours. Just the right kick in the butt at the right time.

If you equate wearing a hat with rape, then we have some issues, RTF. What Kappy did was silly. What Worthlwessberger did was a major crime that was aided and abetted by the local police dep’t..

We all get to see what he brings to the team this year, but basing anything on this past offseason is misguided at best.

33. rtfirefly2 says:

That was my whole point, Chuck. I don’t want Kappy going down that road.
    I don’t excuse rape. One of my best friends was kidnapped, raped and killed and it destroyed the whole neighborhood for years.
    It was a bad PR move for Kappy, HUGE difference.

34. rtfirefly2 says:

I STILL can’t get on Skeeb’s site. Probably one of all the security filters I have.
    Say hey to everybody over there for me, Chuck!
    I’m off to the movies.

Your point is ludicrous, RTF. The hat and rape are on 2 different planets. There is no direct correlation between the 2. Even TO, asshole that he is/was, never got in trouble with the law. He was just an asshole. Like I said earlier, he wanted to be Dennis Rodman and create a persona. Is Kappy going down that road? I seriously don;t think so but lesser men have been brought down by the whirlwind that is fame.

I think Kappy’s pretty level-headed though given his background and upbringing.

Ya ain’t missing much but another hissy fit from Buwwitt. I keep forgetting that I have to agree with everything that tumbles out of his ass.

37. rtfirefly2 says:

WHAT point, Chuckster? I never correlated rape with a bad PR move. You did.
    Don’t mess with me right me. We just had another quick T-storm and it knocked out all the electricity in town for hours. I got an idea what the Dark Ages were like.
    If you for 1 second think I condone rape, Chuckster, then very seriously you can try to blow me.
    You would never live.

Kap is as level headed as it gets. The dude knows what’s up and what’s real and he got that from his family. He has to deal with his dopey birth mother constantly trying to contact him, that’s a stressor most young pro athletes don’t have to deal with.
    Now he’s famous and partying—and all signs point to him just going to parties, nothing more. Oh, and he wore a hat as part of his look one night. The horror!!!!
    Let’s wait on Kap actually fucking something up majorly before we connect him to Big Ben.

39. rtfirefly2 says:

If you want to discuss football, Chuck, instead of playing pussy fight with Bullitt, I’ll be here.
    Right now it’s just so idiotic I can’t read it.

______________________________

You said these thngs, RTF. Not me. I’m not fucking with you. I’m trying to find out WTF you’re talking about.

41. Chico says:

The guy grew up in a loving family. I remember after he shredded us (Cal) up in Reno, his words after the game were as humble as words can be. ‘they played well, it’s tough to defend against our pistol offense’ or something like that. Rape!?! Huh?

Kidnapping and rape discussion on Chuck’s blog? Man some of you guys dive off the deep end.

Where and when did I ever accuse Kappy of rape? I mean that’s libel, writing that I accused him.
    I wrote that I was worried. Others in NFL have been known to, once they got money and power.
    I’ll drop the subject for all time. At least I’ll try.

I think RT was just trying to make the point that he hopes Kap keeps his feet on the ground by using extreme examples of guys who did not. I least that’s what I pieced together from him. It was a bit convoluted though. Sound about right RT?

RT didn’t equate anything CK7 has done to rape. Chuck made the exaggeration in an extreme mischaracterization of RT saying he didn’t want CK7 to turn out like Ben Roethlisberger. And the sheeple cried “rape!” not our guy, you must be crazy it was only a hat. That is the usual way observations not in lockstep are argued and/or dismissed here.

I agree RT didn’t tie Kap to rape or any crime.

He did however say he was willing to trade Kap suggesting it was because of the off season B.S.

That’s a bit over the top I thought.

Miscommunication is a large source of argument on any blog.

No harm no foul on this one.

• Chico says:

I’m not going to jump on anybody here because I don’t post much, therefore I don’t know enough about y’all to make an opinion, and hell, I’m cool with all Niner fans but I do wonder what Kaepernick had done to make someone ‘worried’? Why worry?

So the kid likes to go to parties? I like to go to parties. I don’t understand the correlation to partying to being like “Big Ben”.

Sheeple? Really?

You’re dismissed, NoFear.

RTF wrote about 5-6 posts knocking Kappy for things he hasn’t done. He talked of trading him and saying he should get kicked in the head. I’m just wondering why.

And I’m sure he doesn’t need you to fight his battles.

Dobbs suspended for the Packer game for his weed conviction. Hurts his chances to stay on the 53 I would of thought.

In other news, I will be at that game!

Weed? Meh. At least it wasn’t HGH.

one of the rams starting LB got a 4 game for naughty stuff today.

Hey Chuck, you got an email addy for public consumption?

We should pick up a portion of the tab for him 12th.
        It’s Jo-Lonn Dunbar.
        Forever to be remembered in 9er lore, for being the guy that ushered in the Kaepernick Era, by concussing Alex.

I’ll buy a drink, if I ever have the opportunity.

Hey NJ, I forgot it was him, I will hoist a can as soon as I finish typing this.

Least you can do 12th.
        Jo-Lonn is to us what Mo Lewis was to the Pats

John Brodie turned 78 today. Damn. That makes me feel old. I wonder how he’s doing. Last I heard he was recovering pretty well from that stroke he had years ago. What is it with QBs being great golfers? There’s got to be a correlation there somewhere.

Just look at Romo Del.
      Spends more time and energy on the links than he does honing his skills at QB.

Me thinks he spends plenty of energy with Mrs Jones too.
      How else can you explain all the money he’s been paid, to miss the Playoffs with such regularity?

So Jerruh paid him in advance, to become a Team Leader.
        The Jerry Puppets.

And the New (Old) Defensive Coordinators.
        The Jerri-Tols.

Maybe the coaches can go to the same plastic surgeon as Jerruh. Took years off Jerruh’s ugly mug….not.

I think Jerruh used a Mortician.
        Embalmed while still breathing.
        Moron.

Even if you cut off his head or, stitched his mouth shut, his ego will keep on going, in search of a microphone or television camera.

Jerruh took over the mantle of crypt keeper from Al who as it turns out had actually been dead for months before it was noticed.

50. rtfirefly2 says:

Dennis, I’ve mentioned that my lawyer’s brother and assistant was taken in and cared for by John until he came of age.
    Chuck, getting kicked in the head was a figurative expression. Watch some Bill Walsh film, then get back on your high horse.
    And BTW, I like NF covering my back when you continue to be a jackass for hits.

Rightee-o, RTF. Go wax the Benz. . . .

12th unca_chuck@yahoo.com is one that I check once in a while.

Brady hurt his knee today, to what extent tbd. Book ESPN for updates on his condition every quarter hour for the next two months…

That should work out perfectly with the minutia of Tebows every breath drawn and eyebrow inflection as Brady’s potential backup.

A win win.

53. rtfirefly2 says:

Can’t wax the Benz until the weather settles down, Chuck.
    Great old interview of Bette Davis on Dick Cavett now.
    She was magic and you missed it. Ha ha ha.
    Go wax your 4-wheeler, dude.

54. rtfirefly2 says:

You mess with NF and my friends in the military, Chuck, and I will mess with you.
    NF is my buddy. I want him to be able to post here.

Settle down. I’m joking.