The Kappy Kaepernick Kap Kaper

The blog world is all atwitter regarding our ascendant quarterback Colin Kaepernick, and his gall for wearing a Miami Dolphins hat in public last week. After feeling the slings and arrows from Niner fans on twitter (I guess) and of course, the media frenzy on a slow news day, he replied with this:

“This the hat y’all mad at? I’m goin wear what I want regardless of what you think, all you need to worry about is the fact that I grind for my teammates and the 49ers! I plan on doin this until they won’t let me in the building!”

Excuse me if I don’t feel the need to throw him under the bus quite yet. Some folks question his commitment to the team (really?), some think he’s a thug and a punk (whatever. Old ground), some think he’s simply immature (possible). My take? Get a grip. It’s a hat, for God’s sake. Is it juvenile wear another football team’s hat? Sure. Is it wrong  to call out the media for dogging his attire? No. last time I checked, people are free to wear what they choose. Is it misguided to wear another team’s colors? Well, yeah. I suppose, but you see players wear other team’s hats all the time. However, it mostly is guys wearing hats from a different sport. As in Alan Iverson wearing a Boston Red Sox hat, or Bron Bron wearing a Yankee hat. Kappy himself last year was sporting a Milwaukee Brewers hat for some interviews.  It makes sense as he was born in Wisconsin, and a baseball cap doesn’t conflict with football. If he was wearing a Packers hat, I could imagine the hooraw around something like that. Bitter rivals and all.

The Dolphins? Ehhh. Is it bad form? Sure. Does it bother me? Not in the least. Kappy has shown himself to be a true professional who works as hard as anyone else in the game, and is constantly pushing himself to be a better player. Plus, it’s the offseason. If this was 3 days before a Miami game, I’d be questioning his sanity, let alone his allegiance, but in July? Who cares? Will this be an issue in 3 months? No.

About these ads

78 Responses to The Kappy Kaepernick Kap Kaper

WOOF!

2. ninerdog says:

Looks likes he was in a friends garage chillaxin, someone took his pixture….

How naive must a starting QB be to think wearing a Dolphins cap is going to be fine with the Niner fan base? How arrogant does one have to be to defend it with “I don’t give a shit what y’all think”?
    Certainly nothing like the news that Vernon Davis painted a self-portrait for his art class. That made “big-deal” waves for years with some. Probably still.

It may be the big deal comes more from folks trying to tell fans how they should react to it.

The “this cap” picture looked like he took it himself in a mirror.

Certainly Kappy’s work ethic is second to none. As is his desire to win. I’m less inclined to go with the tatts-are-an-issue crowd than others. As well as the usual hyperbolic sheep castigating him. I mean really. It’s not football season, and he’s on his own time. Bad fashion choice? Sure. Breathlessly ripping him for this is ludicrous. But carry on MacDuff.

VD at the time WAS a self-serving prima donna. More ‘click-clack’ than actual numbers. One of Sing’s only good moves was getting VD out of his ‘me-first’ attitude and into the team concept of football. I’m not worried about Kaepernick. He';s fine. Now kiss your forearm and make peace with it.

I get your point Chuck about Kap but don’t fully agree with it.

In other news Victor Cruz signed a weird deal that amounts to more or less 4 x 1 year @ $7.75 mil per. Niners should have taken a shot at him for that kind of money/contract terms.

I just think the angst around it is a little over the top.

Jimbo threw a temper tantrum at a SD reporter when he was playing for the Chargers. The guy showed up at a Charger practice wearing a 49er sweatshirt (just a little ironic) and Harbaugh refused to answer any of his questions. “I don’t answer any questions from anybody wearing the enemy’s jersey.”

Now his starting QB is wearing enemy apparel. Unless Jimbo’s the biggest hypocrite in the world he’ll tell Kap don’t even think about wearing anything other than 49er gear. Or he’ll ring his fucking neck.

7. ninerdog says:

I think that when he was handed the “keys to the car” he was not ready to understand what “the fans” expect from the player who plays QB for the 49er’s.
    His lack of diplomacy in the response will be interpreted as a lack of respect to the faithful. Whether he meant it to be or not……
    He better come out and kick ass in his sophmore year of being a starter…or this little indiscretion will blow up and start a backlash that will have him axting himself…what the hell happened to his popularity.

Using Harbaugh as a gauge of how to react to things is a bit disingenuous.

It certainly wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but really, this is all over a hat. His play will determine how the fans see him anyway, and this’ll be long gone.

If Kappy succeeds, all will be forgiven.
    If he fails, this will be remembered as the Kap TO dancing on the Dallas Star moment.
    Man, I don’t think the OJ and coffee I had at the restaurant was enough.
    Yesterday was my birthday, and today one of my favorite friends left to get married and won’t be back. Fortunately I met him completely by accident at the restaurant and we had a great time over Huevos con Chorizo, coffee and OJ.
    “Teahouse of the August Moon” on in a couple hours. Glenn Ford.
    Top 40 at worst. Funnier than scheist.

11. rtfirefly2 says:

I go out this morning to buy smokes. Some guy from Indiana starts shaking his head at me.
    Recognized the Benz immediately. Says he used to own one, sold it, and has regretted it ever since.
    This is one weird town.

I’m just killin’ time, fellas, until ex season. But, I WILL watch Teahouse of the August Moon.
    I still have 2 thumbs, and they’re both up!

I’m wearing one of my Niner caps while I wait for TotAM.

Saw that this morning but his comments were not exactly contrite, still better than nothing I suppose and he is feeling the heat a little.

Y’all are missing one of the BEST comedies of all time.

I forgot about Marlon Brandon as a comedian, and the guy who played the CO on the Phil Silvers Show (“Sgt. Bilko”)

The occupation of Okinawa after WWII. Only the army doesn’t understand the culture.
    Marlon Brando teaches Glenn Ford, a failure as an officer assigned to Okinawa as punishment duty.

All I can say is, “It’s funnier then F***”.

*Brando*, I’m busting a rib laughing so hard and the flick has just started.

Kap is a kid, he’s a little immature. But, he’s apparently working hard in the off season, and Harbs has given the keys to the Niner car. That’s enough for me. I don’t care if he puts a Dolphins cap on his head. He should show some more smarts, though, and at least wear the cap of a decent team. Steelers would be a better choice. At least he wasn’t rockin’ a Seahawks cap…

Not surprising really, it’s the ‘now’ attitude in a growing punk culture. I do what the fuck I want. I demand respect for no reason but I don’t give respect to anything or anyone. No more sports heroes for the young’uns to emulate. Who gives a shit? Give ‘em more money.

If it matters which team’s hat he wears then it matters that he wears any other team’s hat. Some players just don’t get the role fans or certain standards play in their success and fortunes.

Eddie Arnold, too. I completely forgot about him.
    I worked with an ex-Marine at one time who served in Okinawa.
    This flick is about better times right after WWII.

Beyond the fact that, as a young man, Kappy graduated from high school with a 4.0 GPA, and graduated early from UNR with a Biz Mgmt degree. He recently gave the commencement speech (unannounced) at his high school (Turlock High), donated money to the school, and created his ‘Against All Odds’ charity golf tournament for children with heart conditions.

Fuck the fans, NoFear. This was driven by teenage girls with twitter accounts. This is what we hold our behavior standards to. Screaming teenyboppers with twitter accounts.

Kap wearing a Dolphins hat is a non-issue for me. He’s received an absurd amount if flack over this. Shit, he’s not Aaron Hernandez. He wore a fucking hat. Big deal

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. Hard to see how Kappy comes off so bad in the eyes of the fans when he’s done what he’s done in his short career.

23. ninerdog says:

Disingenuous……dissed the genuous…has Harbaugh ever been genuine with the press….except to make fun of them….Kap is posing neckid in the espn shoot….so is 75 year old Gary Player, sorry, just not a good look, old men need to wear pants.

• ninerdog says:

So does the 49ers QB, just sayin’…..put me down as just another old cranky guy waiting for football season to start
      Now if it was the Niner Nuggets…I’d be all for it

I’m totally with you there, NinerDog!

Haven’t had the (dis)pleasure of seeing Gary Player sans-a-belt. Think I’ll pass.

• ninerdog says:

I read Staley was wondering when they were gonna get to feature the O-line in the birthday suit shoot. That would send people to reverse thier laser eye surgeries for sure.

At least Kap isn’t groping women on hospital gurneys while drunk in Las Vegas like Chad Gaudin is (allegedly). I’d say the SF Giants have hit an all-time low, but each time I do they just keep digging deeper and deeper.

In the words of Chris Cornell of Soundgarden,

“I got up feeling so down
    I got off being sold out
    I’ve kept the movie rolling
    But the story’s getting old now
    I just looked in the mirror
    Things aren’t looking so good
    I’m looking California
    And feeling Minnesota
    I’m feeling that I’m sober
    Even though I’m drinking
    I can’t get any lower
    Still I feel I’m sinking”

• rtfirefly says:

Me, Chuck? Yeah, I’m great. Just had one cup of coffee too many at the restaurant next door where I supped. Took FOREVER to get to sleep, and I’m not sure I ever really made it.

No mas! No more coffee for me, at least not in the evening. Just watchin’ movies today and listenin’ to music on YouTube.

26. rtfirefly2 says:

Chuck, when I drove cross country, I listened to the Mamas and the Papas nearly the whole way home.
    And I just found a very old B&W of them on TV. They had these dancers dressed up in cheerleader costumes pop up out of the bathtubs they had on stage.
    I’m just fine, thank you.

27. rtfirefly2 says:

Found one, Chuck. Some guy put together a video mix combined with “California Dreamin'”.

Shows guys wading through knee deep snow in full winter clothes just to get to their cars (which I have done, because you have to here if you wish to survive). Mixed in with pics of babes in bikinis walking on the beach.

I love the snow and the cold, myself. Didn’t at first, but do now, but it’s July and it’s bloody hot.

“California Dreamin on such a winter’s DAY!”

28. rtfirefly2 says:

Michelle Phillips interviewed about organizing the first Monterey Pop Festival with John Phillips.
    “Otis Redding had never performed before a white hippie audience.”
    “I’d never even heard of Janis Joplin, or Jimi Hendrix. But your jaw just dropped.”
    Gawd, I love YouTube sometimes. Now I’ve got to listen to some Hendrix.

I’m completely ignoring this controversy intentionally, BTW.

I just simply don’t know what to think or how to respond.

Part of me definitely agrees with NF, no more sports heroes.
    Part of me wants to wear my Niner cap.

I wouldn’t mind a boycott for a couple seasons to take the money away from the pros, but good luck.Football is firmly entrenched in America, and where the Niners go broke, the Cards or Rams will spend the bucks and win.

Honestly, if I had any clue as to the solution besides starting early and often with education, I would offer it.

There are my 2 cents for the day.

Money is the root of all evil RT?
      Not sure about that but NF has a point that the athletic heroes are “me first” to a greater degree than used to be the case with rare exception.
      I agree with a point you made before about the backfield being the big question mark this year. On paper it’s regressed, good job they don’t play on paper eh?

• rtfirefly says:

Money isn’t the root of all evil 12th. $20 million bonuses for college athletes is.
        College students in this country spend DECADES trying to pay back their student loans.
        I’m lucky. I almost stepped on that land mine, too.

At least we know why Gaudin was in the hospital..

RTF, look at the deeds Kappy has done. Look at the charities he started, his stellar academic record, and his apparent Christianity. Those are bible quotes all over him. How he chooses to show that is different, granted, I mean there’s another QB who goes about it differently, but who’s to say either is right or wrong?

The point being, Kappy wore a hat during the offseason. On his own time..He didn’t get busted drunk driving, or grope someone or do anything even remotely illegal immoral, or insane. Due to social media, it turned into a shitstorm. He started working out a week after the super bowl ended. He’s been working ever since. If you lose faith in the guy over the hat, then you are easily swayed. I see more in him than some kind of misguided joke the hat thing turned out to be.

The thing about athletics in general, most football players at least pretend to go through 4 years of college. PAC 10, and conferences not SEC related usually have decent grad rates and the student athletes get something out of it. In baseball and basketball, there are lots and lots of them who go through 0-1 years of college. The point being, football players in general are the best educated out of the bunch.

Chuck, didn’t you spend months arguing with me about a QB from Florida who won a bunch of games in Denver, then got traded against his will to New York.

At least be consistent.

34. rtfirefly2 says:

Sorry Chuck, it’s late and I’m tired.

Football players are the best educated? Exactly which planet did you come from?

I’m serious, that was just about the stupidest comment I’ve ever read anywhere. I don’t care if I’m old and tired, that was still an incredibly stupid, ridiculous comment.

35. rtfirefly2 says:

They have the most help, the ones on “scholarship”, but most don’t get an actual education, even at Cal where I went.

Amateur athletics are the way to go. Pro football and that “Gam” word has taken over now.

I may even hang up my hat for the last time and just concentrate on other things. Important, but fun things.

36. rtfirefly2 says:

If somebody gets up to Berkeley sometime, let me know if Top Dog is still open.

It was a 5 five minute walk from the Chancellor of Cal’s office, and the Evans building where I spent all my time. Best Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Hot Dogs, you name it, in the world.

There were lines leading out the door from grad students buying things for themselves and then their profs.
    It’s going to be tough to give up Niner football, but with all the money involved and the way things are going, I’m going with Bratwurst.

“She wore a yellow ribbon” on now. I’m just a clown watching John Wayne and Joanne Dru and Ward Bond and I don’t remember who else.

The plot may be a little morally suspect, since I’m on the side of the Natives, but the photography is very real, shot at Monument Valley, AZ, with very similar terrain to here.

My Mom was a lab tech (highest rank a woman could achieve at the time there), but managed to swing it with her coworkers to take blood from Ward Bond.

38. rtfirefly2 says:

Ben Johnson, a real life bull rider and great actor.

Harry Carey, Jr. One of the greatest Westerns ever.

John Ford, the director, a Navy photographer in the South Pacific in WWII, did the whole thing in 10 days.

Sometimes I wonder why I learn this stuff and I don’t go back to Theoretical Physics.

I’m comparing football players to baseball players and basketball players, RTF. Half of the baseball players go from HS to the minors. Same with b-ball. HS to the pros, or maybe 1 year of college. Baseball players in general are the dumbest lot in of all the major sports.

The point on Kappy is, he’s apparently a religious guy who is very dedicated to football in general, and becoming a better QB. You and NoFear so easily throw him under the bus for the hat thing. NF especially. I’m sure a lot of kids look up to Kappy for his dedication to school, his bible quotes, his charity work, and his dedication to the game. The tatts are what they are. Kids these days are going that route. Not my thing, but whatever. Kappy caught a lot of heat from the mainstream for his look. Not ‘quarterbacky’ enough. Which smacks of veiled racism to me. Which I also think has a lot to do with the instant heat he caught over the hat,

The difference between Kappy and Timmy is that Tebow never misses an opportunity to flaunt his beliefs. Frankly, I’ve never liked it when people constantly have to remind me of how wonderful and pious they are. Is showing it by covering yourself in ink any different? Who’s to say? You? NF? Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself. He who is without sin cast the first stone. Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Everybody must get stoned. Pick your proverb . . .

Chuck, I don’t remember throwing Kappy under the bus.

As far as my own Christian beliefs, I try to keep them quiet, except with very close friends.

Another great movie on, “Wagon Train”. I won’t be awake to see all of it, but I’ll watch the beginning. Ben Johnson again. REAL New Mexico, not what you get from Hollywood these days.

And yeah, it has a cameo for Harry Carey, Jr. A bigger role for Ben Johnson.

I meant to mention, Ward Bond sent my Mom roses after she treated him at the hospital.

Red roses.

I guess that’s why I love this stuff.

41. rtfirefly2 says:

When my Mom was working her a** off at the hospital during WWII, and trying to meet a future husband at the USO for after the war, well…

It sounds worse than it actually was. My Mom was a wonderful lady and I still miss her.

Well, you sure didn’t cut Kappy any slack. Whatever. The saga is over. No one will remember this in a couple months.

• rtfirefly says:

NO ONE deserves too much slack, Chuck.

One of the chicks I had a major league crush on in HS had an older sister I had a bigger crush on.

Sis’ whole family got run over by a drunk driver. Right on the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

Help, yes. Slack, no.

GOOD ancient explorations of America on now on . I just got chile rellenos at a different restaurant down the street. It’s already about 95, but there’s no place to get cold potato soup.

I’m sweating like a greased pig, and I only started with the frizoles and arroz.

Chuck, you have to, and I mean have to, find those Mamas & Papas videos on YouTube.
    The one with the girls popping out of the bathtub props they had on set.
    Fully clothed, but in cheerleader clothes while the M&P are singing a 4-piece harmony. “California Dreamin”.

“Music has charms to soothe a savage breast”.

– Bill Shakespeare

I think the three alarm fire from the New Mexico chile rellenos has slowed down, and I’m hungry.

Besides, there’s a terrific movie on TCM right now, plus that Ancient History thing on The History Channel. Both exactly right up my alley.

Pat, signing off for today.

Well, I’m signing off in a sec.

ZZ Top “Legs”.

Voted best music video of all time.

By me.

Now I’m signing off. It’s too dang hot right to think about anything but Rocklin in football.

“She got Legs! She knows how to use them!”.

45. rtfirefly2 says:

Chuck, you know I went to Cal. I had a study partner in Economic Geography 101 or something who I used to go out with.
    There’s a beautiful lecture hall where the class is, the acoustics are still perfect after 100 years, and the Cal football team was in the very, very, back row of the hall.
    Made it hard to hear the Professor.

That’s why I wanted to go to UC Santa Cruz and be a Banana Slug. They don’t take athletics as seriously there.

My Dad did everything he could to prevent it. Stopped me in my tracks. Get the picture.

I’m 53, Chuck. I know a little about this stuff.

She lived in Pacific Heights. I got to drive her home one night during quarter break (they were experimenting with quarters, which messed everybody up). She wasn’t experimenting.

“Wagons Ho!”

46. rtfirefly2 says:

It was Econometrics 101 and 102. I hope I’m not getting early Alzheimersers.

Too much chile relleno in this heat, I guess. Girl was real. Pat blowing it 203. I’ve screwed up with more girls than I can count, and now in this town at my age, well…

Just be too easy and looking for somebody honest to spend the rest of my life with.

“She got legs!” Top 10 video, I guess on 2nd thought. Mamas and Papas, Gracie Slick (who still lives up in Marin if I’m not mistaken). I’m not actually interested in rating them anymore.

47. rtfirefly2 says:

Skeebs is blocking all my stuff apparently, Chuck. I haven’t been able to post there since my 14 straight when nobody was on. Reno congratulated me on it, because he has the record.

Anyway, ZZ Top “Legs”. Not what you might think. I think it’s a Model A they were driving, somebody come on and tell me.

Not a deuce? Haven’t seen the vid in years,

49. rtfirefly2 says:

The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show at Rockefeller Center.

These kids were sons of WWII, and Rubber Soul was probably the best before they got on acid.

They don’t make music like that anymore. It’s a shame, but we still have “Day Tripper”, “Norwegian Wood”, and many others.

These idiot athletes don’t know how well they have it.

Music for me from now on.

50. rtfirefly2 says:

George Harrison with the WooWa on “My Guitar Gently Weeps”.

I heard so much Beatles when I was a kid, I know just about every song by heart. When I listen to too much of it, it’s like having too many chiles in your chile rellenos.

I’ll look around and try to find something. Can’t say I’ll succeed, but I’ll try.

Hey what’s wrong with a Dolphins cap?

Freakin 98 today. Tomorrow, too. Monday it’s supposed to be back to normal.

Can’t even go the beautiful park in town in this weather. No global warming my ass.

I just watched “The Drive” vid again, as well as the “After the Drive” vid.

Sony has obviously found some of my posts, and stopped me cold with copyright violations.

No more Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

Oh well, a good western I PAY for on cable maybe. I just watched one of the best, and I’d never even seen it before.

“General Patton didn’t get bogged down in Bastogne?”

I love this blog sometimes. General Patton was in the south of France waiting for spring.

General Omar Bradley (future 5-star) made the blunder of putting reserves in the Ardennes.

It was the 101st Airborne who were called to drive from Paris on leave up to Bastogne, the main road network of the entire area.

Don’t even go near it unless you know your stuff. Start with “Band of Brothers” and move on.

New thread is up . . .