Happy 4th of July!

Just think, 237 years ago, we declared our freedom from the tyranny of a distant and uncaring government. Nowadays, we are run by even more distant and uncaring corporations. Jon-a-than! Jon-a-than! Jon-a-than!

In football news, one of the 49ers had to jump into the let’s-do-something-stupid-and-headline-grabbing sweepstakes with Ahmad Brooks going all fight-club on one of his teammates. Brooks was apparently pissed off that NT Lamar Divens pretended to throw his keys into the bushes. Brooks was apparently too drunk to drive at 2:30 am, so Ahmad should be thanking Lamar Divens for trying to keep him out of jail instead of busting him in the head 3 times with a beer bottle. Divens got a couple stitches for his efforts, and nothng else happened, except for the fact that Divens went to the cops.

Now of course Divens is thinking, hmmm, maybe I shouldn’t press charges. This could bite me in the ass, let alone my teammate. Problem is, the DA has the case now and can press charges without the cooperation of the victim, although this is usually only done in more heinous crimes. Your murders, your kidnappings, your rapes, and such. So, unless the DA has a real bug up his (or her) ass regarding Brooks, this’ll likely get swept under the rug and called a non-issue. Brooks, who isn’t a stranger to scrapes with the law, should take this to heed and thank his friends for trying to keep him out of trouble instead of kicking their asses. If you can’t handle the booze, stop drinking. Next time your friends are gonna let you go, and what then? Pull a Leonard Little? Josh Brent? A James Dean?

I’m out til Sunday to Tahoe to escape the heat. May or may not check in. Play nice. Be safe. If your friends think you are too drunk to drive, chances are, they are right.

IMAG0341

About these ads

60 Responses to Happy 4th of July!

Adios. Have a happy and safe 4th . . .

It was 110 on our way to Tahoe a little while ago. Got here, and its 83 and t-storms. Raining like a bitch. Crazy.

Didn’t mean to imply you had jumped in the hot car Chuck, was just clarifying my experience. Crazy weather, the girls are in bikini’s in Alaska, they are suffering heatwaves in Moscow too.
      I would take T-storms and 83 over 109 though, especially in Tahoe, love that part of the world.

Just got done with a massive NM icestorm. The Mercedes is covered with ice and I had to peep out and look. Here in the desert. Weather in NM is as fickle as a crazy woman.

Watching the interpretation of Al-Sisi’s “I am the boss” speech and I’m pretty sure I heard Yul Brynner’s voice during a pause “so let it be written. so let it be done.”

The Copts are saved, for now.

Not only Coptic’
      s, everyone else gets a voice at the table again too instead of just Islamist’s dictates, seem’s like a step forward to me. I hope they get themselves together and take the elections more seriously this time, if they have any.

Yes don’t drink and drive. Stay home and get drunk. Burp!

Hey Dennis…..you around?

It’s the 4th of July. America’s birthday. A day to celebrate our freedom from tyranny. A day for parades where proud citizens cheer on their heroes and wave Old Glory. A day to enjoy our national pastime — baseball. A day to watch men gorge themselves with Nathan’s Hot Dogs in a televised eating contest. A day to char dead animal flesh over an open fire. A day to get even more drunk than usual. Then, after the sun sets, watch those same drunk men, some with advanced degrees, play with unlicensed fireworks and blow off their fingers. Then as one, we all gaze into the night sky and watch shit explode as a Russian’s 1812 overture blares through Japanese speakers.

And you’re asking me if I’m around? I live for this shit. I’m American as it gets.

I’m not going anymore, Dennis. It took me twice the time to go to the store today because I almost got stuck in the ice twice.
    Anyone wants to shoot fireworks right now would not set fire to anything with all the melting ice everywhere. Then again, it would be difficult to find a dry place to light them.
    Happy 4th all! Check out the History Channel’s docudrama series they’re running all day from the beginning of American History on.

This is how the Brooks drama is solved. Divens (I don’t even know this guy) tells the DA he won’t testify in court. Somebody in the Niners calls the DA’s office for a chat. Case dropped in a coupla weeks quietly, due to “insufficient evidence”. Divens gets a nice cash gift from Brooks for being a guardian angel, and a punching bag. Niners/League suspends Brooks for 4 games for being rambunctious. Divens is cut so he can go to another team, and so he and Brooks don’t see each other again to renew their “friendship”. Brooks comes back after the suspension, and takes up hunting QBs once again, Harbs says he’s learned his lesson. Done and done…

Happy 4th everyone. The one thing about living over here is the weather never really changes. Ever. It does get old.

“So through the night rode Paul Revere;
    And so through the night went his cry of alarm
    To every Middlesex village and farm—
    A cry of defiance, and not of fear—
    A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door,
    And a word that shall echo forever-more;
    For borne on the night wind of the past,
    Through all our history to the last,
    In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
    The people will waken and listen to hear
    The hurrying hoof beats of that steed,
    And the midnight message of Paul Revere. ”

The Seahawks are coming! The Seahawks are coming!
    Two Smiths. Two Smiths.
    Pete the Cheat, Richard Sherman, we’re all on PEDs.
    Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Crabtree with no Achilles.

When the weather gets back to being sensible, I’ll get back to Niner football.
    Have a couple feet of water to bail out of right now. I tried to get some of it in the sun, but the weather changed and the water won’t evaporate until it warms up.
    My uncle was on Iwo Jima and Tarawa. I never met him, but I did spend time with his widow, my Mom’s sister.
    Think a little rainstorm is going to get my goat? Well it did yesterday, but I had time to remember today.

It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up. —Vince Lombardi
      Personally I’d get the hell outta Dodge and find the nearest four Seasons and order room service. Then again the Super Bowl Trophy doesn’t bear my name. Good luck, my friend.

Hey RT! You made The Drudge Repot.

Hail alley. Who knew? That’s some crazy shit. High 80s in Tahoe now. Hope y’all had a happy 4th.

Checked in with my LL this morning to see if everything here was OK.
    He was talking to a contruction guy and an insurance guy at the same time.
    $32K worth of damage, just to the roof.
    Ach so, NM is beautiful and I’ve been here five years now.
    We got 4 feet of snow in one night up in the mountains.
    It was supposed to be 10, but the storm passed unexpectedly.
    I hate shoveling snow. I’m disabled and too old for it. But if you don’t get the snow, it turns into ice and then you’re truly screwed.
    Everyone is OK.

Well, that was sure fun. The swamp is still outside, and the jackass “Handyman” LL just hired is as useless as anything.
    Lucky, LL was close by doing some other work. That guy is going to start doing his job, or I’ll make sure he loses it.

• rtfirefly says:

Well, I just had a nice personal talk with the handyman, as well as this wonderful neighbor who is an athletic workaholic. He’s leaving to get married.
      I’m in a much better mood now.

Turns out CK7 is not only human after all but apparently some sort of self-absorbed jerk, too.

Eff your team? Eff your team’s fans? Eff you, too. -Little York

Somebody draft this kid a nice apology for the press, quickly.

All this hand-wringing over a hat. Whatever. Kind of a dick reply, but really. The things people get bent over is ridiculous.

I went to exchange my Aaron Hernandez jersey and they gave me an O.J. in return.
    Is that an upgrade?

GREAT docudrama on the History Channel right now about Billy the Kid. Makes a great case in his defense, for his sworn revenge after the corrupt sheriff assassinates his boss and foster father.
    Wouldn’t care so much except that I just visited a tiny little town with a beautiful church on Easter Sunday with my friends. Billy and his gang used to hide out in that town.
    This was his territory and he was honest and hard working until his boss’ death. Fits in perfectly with what I’ve learned.

The hat thing is not the real issue, Kap’s reaction to the fans is.
    Starting QB wears another teams hat, not the brightest choice. Starting QB tells over reacting fans “I don’t care what you think”, arrogant and dumb.

• rtfirefly says:

12th, I just wrote my gut feelings about Kap’s cap on Skeebs’ blog. I don’t feel like writing it again.
      Read it and we can argue about it another day! One month till the first exhibition game and we’re all crazy and want revenge for that first SB loss. At least the kicker is gone.

Success hides a multitude of sins RT, and in the big picture Kap dissing the fans won’t mean a lot if he continues being successful. It is however the first PR mistake he has made, naturally people wonder if it is the start of an arrogant personality emerging or just a glib mistake made by a young man.
        Either way I hope he gets why it has become a national story and learns from it.

• rtfirefly says:

I know, 12th, I just was trying to defend him. I was just on the Hawks blog and they’re laughing their asses off over it.
        One Niner fan wrote in about the latest Hawk scandal, and wrote that they’re crowing while all Kap did was wear a Fins cap.
        I didn’t know whether to be pissed or laugh.
        Kappy’s going in as the starter of an NFL team for the first time.
        Maybe this isn’t the year, because the secondary sucks. But when the whistle blows, Kappy will give his best.
        He’ll learn how to shut it eventually, hopefully sooner than later.

RT, Squawks fans are desperate for any bad news for the Niners hoping to deflect some of the heat their team is taking for cheating repeatedly. Harbaugh did his team no favors by setting them up for a fall though.

• rtfirefly says:

12th, my concern is the secondary. Well it should be IMHO, I still have questions about it.
      Fangio will concoct a mixture of zones to cover the weaknesses, but you still have to cover the intermediate routes as well as the deep ones.
      Patrick and Aldon can’t do everything, and Justin is giving his last bit of gas to stop the run. All want a SB this year. You either have a pass rush or you have a secondary, and Ronnie Lott was lost to the Raiders in Plan B.
      I wish I could get to camp, man, it’s practically in the backyard of where I grew up.
      Don’t worry about Mangini. He’s happy working for a WINNING organization for a change. He’ll teach all the young assistants a thing or too about defense.

I can neither confirm nor deny that the pilot of the Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 that just crashed at SFO was wearing a Miami Dolphin’s cap.

Here’s an oldie but goodie. I watched an interview with Ronnie Lott a few years ago about his first camp.
    He was a hotshot All-American from USC.
    At the first team meeting, he sat next to Hacksaw (Jack) Reynolds from Tennessee, on his last legs at the time.
    Ronnie asked him for a pencil.
    Hacksaw told him, “You come to meetings, you bring your own pencil!’
    Ronnie in the interview said he still remembered that first day.

Well for all the talk of being “warriors” in a “battle” when the “bullets fly” it would seem a sense of team doesn’t translate very well in the super hype of look-at-me pro football.

My team was always the best team because I was on it. If the Dolphins are your team, work a trade, fool.

• rtfirefly says:

NF, I completely agree that all the warrior references are completely unwarranted, but Freedom of the Press and all that. Plus, the NFL is big bucks for an awful lot of people, including writers.
      If we did trade Kappy to the Fins (and after what he said, eh), do you have any idea what we could get for him?
      Tolzien might function as a starter, I suppose.

• NoFear49er says:

A Manning and two A. Smiths?

I don’t want to trade CK7 but I hope he will realize the implications of his “I’ll wear what I want” defense.

He’s got a ton of potential and may become a top pro QB if he works at his craft and leaves the show-boating to others. He has yet to survive the sophomore slump so we’ll see how he does when defenses can prepare better for him and he begins to read defenses. You can’t get fooled by looks if oyu don’t know what you’re looking at.

I’m not a fan of the college gimmick formations and option plays as an offensive scheme in the pros. It won’t take DCs long to get their guys up to speed defending it either. So if that’s our plan going forward I’d think that doesn’t bode well for CK7’s future.

But if you’re asking seriously about his trade value I’d say you never know what some crazy GMs are willing to pony up for potential. Being fairly untested can cut both ways. I’d rather his coaches school him but Harbaugh doesn’t set much of an example either.

Sad to say, but at the moment the Seahawks are looking like the classier organization.
    Walsh and Eddie D. would have never stood for this “I’m gonna wear my Fish hat if I wanna” bullshit.

This little farce needs to be put to a halt. Post-haste.

Still smacks to me of a major overreaction by too many folks. I don’t get it at all, but that don’t mean shit either. When he hits the field, I hope he progresses as an NFL QB, and continues to grow as a player.

Dennis, you are fairly pathetic in calling for the return of Alex Smith. Don’t be such a weenie.

Squawks classier than the Niners…err no.

I don’t see Russell Wilson donning a Buffalo Bill’s cap or Richard Sherman beating Marshawn Lynch over the head with a beer bottle. Advantage Seattle.

In conclusion: Woof!

• Winder says:

dennis – the seawacks have the most classless HC in the league. Cheaty Petey is nothing but a clown.

And just one final thought on this whole “Kapgate” hullabaloo. What has, is and shall forever remain a fueling force in the NFL? That’s right, GAMBLING. Regardless of how innocuous Kap’s intentions were by wearing the Dolphins cap, the NFL has its “Shied to Protect.” Even the slightest impropriety, intentional or not, raises eyebrows when Carl Sagan-like “Billions and Billions” of dollars are wagered on NFL games.

God forbid the next time we play the Fish and Kap innocently losses a fumble late in the game that cost the Niners a win or fails them to cover the number. Think there might be a slight riot? Piss off the wrong gambler and Kap could find himself sleeping with Odin Lloyd.

Take off the goddamn hat.

I just watched the NFC Championship Game from 1981.
    Joe and Dwight were really wild men when they first played.
    Hoolihan’s (I think?) is the name of the sports bar they liked to hang out in.
    Downtown Los Gatos.
    Joe and Dwight had class; Joe from Notre Dame and Dwight from Clemson, SC, my cousin’s alma mater.
    Kappy just showed he has none. It will be an interesting season.

I was just a 15-year-old punk when DC made “The Catch” in “My Corner” of the end zone. You couldn’t ask for a better angle and view. Anywho…my most indelible memory from that glorious day was just after the TD. The ‘Stick went completely bonkers when Clark made the catch. The noise continued on for what seemed like an eternity. However, when Ray Wersching came on to attempt the PAT, the house went silent.

Shh. Don’t tell anyone. Ray made the extra pt. to make it 28-27. You already knew that? :D

• rtfirefly says:

Ray lived in Cupertino, where I don’t know.
        Pretty close to where my family lived, since Cupertino wasn’t very big at the time.
        Shhhhhh! That’s a secret!

26. ninerdog says:

they didn’t have cameras all over either

• NoFear49er says:

Hey ninerdog!

Good to see you.

• ninerdog says:

Hey NoFear! I am back to go through this season with you guys….should be interesting….Harbaugh will have to make his kool-aid strong to get the 49ers back to the bowl!

So that makes you a 47 year old punk, Dennis?

Hey RTF, happy birthday!

Long time no see Ninerdog! Nothing much going on here, but the more the merrier (or misery loves company?)!

New thread is up . . .