PEDs, Dynasties, and other Premature (and off the wall) Statements . . .

The 2013 football season may be a couple months off, but the internet trash-talking season is in fine form. In the recent past, Jim Harbaugh called the ‘Hawks cheaters by saying, about the recent rash of ‘Hawk PED suspensions, “If you cheat to win, you’ve already lost.” This was followed by Seahawk CB Brandon Browner, he of a 4-game suspension for PED use last year, replying with “He’s never gonna be out there lined up against me. I wish he would. I’d put my hands around his neck.” Short and sweet. You have to wonder at some point during a game if a Seahawk spies Harbaugh on the sidelines, if he’ll take a cheap shot on the hyper one. Interesting to say the least. Kinda like Woody Hayes in reverse.

Golden Tate, ‘Hawk WR, also jumped into the mix with his comment that “I would try and give him the Sean Lee treatment.” To see what that is, click the following link http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/golden-delivered-9-16-12.gif. Dude throws a blind-side block on a guy, and he deserves to weigh in, I suppose.

Someone had to be the voice of something other than stupidity, so that fell to Vernon Davis. He took the Bill Walsh route, and effusively praised the Seahawks, saying “They’re building a dynasty over there. They’ve got some good players over there. I mean, these guys are starving. So we have to really keep that in mind because these guys are coming to take us out. I respect them, just like I respect my team, but we want to win, too. We’re in it to win it. So we have to really make it upon our responsibility and put it all out there and play each game like it’s our last game.”

Sure, he’s a little over the top in his praise. The Niners have won the West the last 2 years, and while Seattle is improving greatly in a short amount of time, the word Dynasty is usually reserved for Super Bowl champions, not up-and-comers, no matter how good they look. Recent history would say the Niners are closer to dynasty status, but that matters not as well. Still, it’s better to try and calm the rhetoric down rather than stoke the flames. The good news is, these guys won’t have to wait long once the season starts. They face off in game 2 of the 2013 season. Unfortunately, it’s in Seattle. A tough place to play, regardless of the word-games these guys are playing.

The thing is, Harbaugh has put the team in an uncomfortable position with his choice of words. No one on the Niners better get caught using PEDs, or the shit-storm of hypocrisy cries will be never-ending. Surely Harbaugh can’t think that his team is clean, but the can of worms is open, and they are itching to slither out. I’d prefer Harbaugh just keep his mouth shut, but that isn’t his nature I suppose. Walsh’s way was to let his opponents choke on their words, and kick their ass on the field. The Walsh/Ditka feud springs to mind. Mike Ditka crowed on and on about how the Bears would ‘Chicago’ the warm-weather west-coast finesse team pussies that the Niners were back in 1988. Walsh said, yeah, it’ll be tough to win on the road in that weather. Tough for Chicago to score, anyway, as they Niners beat them 28-3 on their way to their Super Bowl XXIII victory.

The point being, talk is cheap. Stupid talk is even cheaper. Let the Seahawks prattle on about revenge, disrespect, and all that. Go kick their ass on their turf and be done with it. The Niners should be fired up to beat on them after the ungodly shellacking they laid on us last year.

About these ads

34 Responses to PEDs, Dynasties, and other Premature (and off the wall) Statements . . .

Agree talk is talk. Most of the time it’s worthless currency.

I’m unconvinced the Squawks are as good as their record last season, ditto their runt of a QB.

It’s too goddamn hot to blog. It’s almost too goddamn hot to drink. Almost.

And just in case Nipper is wondering, I’m suckin’ down Bud Light Platinum’s today like they’re going outta style. 6% Alc./Vol. I need the extra alcohol content to combat the heat.

Have I mentioned it’s too goddamn hot today?

Great B-movie on TMC now, but it’s almost over.
    Robert Ryan as the alky pilot reforming.
    Rod Steiger is absolutely brilliant.

• rtfirefly2 says:

It’s the flick they made Flight of the Phoenix remake, obviously.
      Great flick. Steiger is awesome.

It wasn’t him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, “Kid, this ain’t your night. We’re going for the price on Wilson.” You remember that? “This ain’t your night”! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn’t have to take them dives for the short-end money.

I’d have to think long and hard to come up with a better scene than that.
        Still thinking…

IMO that 28-3 win in Chicago was the greatest Niner win in the Walsh era. As for PEDs, yeah, Harbs should keep his mouth shut a little bit on this issue. I wouldn’t bet a warm beer that nobody on the Niners is using. Hell, I wouldn’t bet a beer that even ONE team in the NFL has NOBODY doing PEDs. That would be just plain stoopid …

The prevalence of PEDs in sports, and the over saturation of ED commercials on TV.
    Coincidence? I think not.

After losing both the late PK 4 and PK 3 at Hollywood, I hit the late Daily Double. Do you know that means? I get to piss away my winnings tonight on the quarters at Los Alamitos.

Yeah for me. Heeeeeeeee!

Yeah, that Bear game was awesome. From Rice’s early touchdown that shocked Chicago to the dominating defense, it was an epic beatdown.

Shit, that was the Niners’ last road playoff win up until the Atlanta game last year.

Interesting talk out of the mini-camps is the fact that Vernon Davis worked exclusively with the WRs during these sessions. Sure, to get him more work with Kappy, but also certainly to have him line up as a slot WR in multiple WR formations. Since TEs usually get replaced in multi-WR spreads, this is a way to keep him on the field.

I saw this today about CK7.

• NoFear49er says:

Best football thing I’ve seen this season.

Could have done without the Bud Bundy biceps smooch though.

Anyone get drunk and disorderly yet? July 4th is this week.

Good stuff, 12th.

Nip, get back in the van. Dennis is lonely.

Huge T-storm knocked out cable and the Internet for awhile.
    What they call the monsoon season has come a little early and I have swamp outside my door.
    Manana, manana. Key Largo is on tomorrow night on TCM.
    Humphey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Lionel Barrymore and Lauren Bacall.
    Not in my my top 10, but certainly in the the top 30.

RT I think you live in the most unstable weather area I have heard of. Must be tough not knowing week by week whats coming your way. Never been to NM.

• rtfirefly says:

Yeah, 12th, you never know from day to day what the weather is going to be.
        Hell, I survived cancer, I can deal with this.
        The rain will make all the crops grow better.
        It’s just an matter of perspective. I guess I had to move to NM to learn it.

Is NM and AZ having as bad a drought as Colo? Or is this just the general retreat of spring time? Terrible terrible shame about the Granite Mtn. firefighters.

• rtfirefly says:

I’m just a bit oversensitive about firefighters. My cuz here’s boyfriend is the father of several of the firemen in town.
      Drought? We had one 7 years running, but I get the feeling it’s over, especially after yesterday.
      The Anastazi had a beautiful advanced civilization up in Chaco Canyon.
      After several years of drought, they had to abandon it, and nobody knows for sure where they went. The buildings they built a millennia ago are still there, and now it’s a park.
      Feast or famine when it comes to rain in the high desert.

Yeah, made the mistake of stopping my trip from Colo back to the bay area in the middle of nowhere on 50 going thru Nevada. I was trying to bust it to Tahoe by nightfall, but the POS van I bought for $400.00 to take the trip back had major wiring problems driving over the various mountain passes in western Utah/eastern Nevada, and I fell behind schedule trying to keep the headlights in working order. I stopped at ~2:30 am somewhere on a straight stretch of highway. In August. When I climbed into my sleeping bag it was about 35º outside. When I woke up about 5 hours later, it was 106º. Another couple hours and I may have shriveled up and died . . .

• rtfirefly says:

Thanks for responding to a non-football post, Chuck. 4th of July coming up and all.
        The Anastazi had a lookout system that still boggles the imagination.
        A road system that rivaled the Roman Empire. Straight up over mountains, just so long as the road was straight. I wish I could remember the name of the book that described it in great detail. Some outdoorsman from CO spent years hiking around the area and then wrote about what he found. Great stuff.
        I love studying old civilizations. More than once, I’ve thought they were a lot smarter than us.

Those are those stone condos carved into the cliffs, right? Way up high somewhere? Crazy shit. How they survived (and thrived) is beyond my ken.

No, Chuck, those are in AZ for the most part. The Anastazi just lived in a quiet canyon in the NW of New Mexico. Predated the others by about 1000 years.

• rtfirefly says:

I can’t do that kind of thing anymore at my age, but 25 years ago on my first trip to NM, I got kinda lost on the way back. Not sure if it was before or after I saw the OK Corral ( about the size of a postage stamp). I did lose $20 on my last shot at pool in Tombstone.
      You can find all kinds of wonderful things if you just look around. I loved to travel, but I’m afraid those days are over.
      Found one of Geromino’s favorite hiding places. In AZ but by the border.
      Woods, fresh water, all the deer you could ever hope to eat. Great afternoon, but the Rangers were having Thanksgiving supper and I didn’t wish to intrude, so I left.

Ahhh. Musta been a little cooler 1500 years ago . . .

• NoFear49er says:

I read the story in the Merc. Higher ups intervene, victim decides he’s better off not pressing charges. Pretty cozy deal for Brooks. But then I should give the media the requisite three days to get the story right or at least better.

Just the drunken gun threat would have had local and county swat along with a viper team from DHS sporting their new assault rifles with $800 EOTech holographic sights mounted backwards kicking down doors and confiscating pea shooters and computer equipment in most lower rent neighborhoods nowadays.

Assuming Brooks didn’t actually have a gun tucked down his pants while getting drunk I give him credit for that much.

So, a drunken altercation usually elicits the kind of response you outline, NoFear?

What planet do you live on?

New thread is up.