No News is No News

Which is good news I guess. No WRs were hurt in the last week, but then again nothing was going on. I suppose we should be happy that AJ Jenkins didn’t hurt humself taking a shower (he was wide open), Kyle Williams didn’t tear up his ankle walking his dog, or General Patton didn’t bog down in Bastogne.

Other than that, there’s little to do but watch and wait. 29 days (something like that) until camp opens, 43 days until preseason starts, and 74 days til opening kickoff . . .

About these ads

28 Responses to No News is No News

And speaking of the Screaming Eagles, I read over the weekend of our Glen Coffee earning his “wings” graduating from the Army’s jump school at Ft Benning and looking forward to Special Forces Assessment and Selection on his quest to become a Special Forces soldier.

I hope he’s found his calling. Good luck young man.

Really. I thought he was going into preaching. Well, good for him. Much success Glen. Glad he put the weirdness behind him.

Here’s the story:

Ft. Benning, NF? Is that that one in Kentuck? I had a roomie at one time who was a retired parachutist. Trying to get info out of him was like getting your teeth pulled.
    He did say he did 42 jumps in his time, and when I asked him what it was like, he said, “We did a lot of walking.”
    Said before chow in the morning the Sarge would march them completely around the camp while they could smell the food.
    Good for Glen. I wish him well.

• NoFear49er says:

That would be JawJuh, RT. FT Campbell is in Kentucky and is HQ for the 101st and the 5th SFGA.

Jumped into DomRep once in a high wind. Lots of banged up troopers in that one. It’s the night jumps that put you in the trees that really get the ol’ sphincter puckered though.

• rtfirefly says:

JawJuh? Don’t know that one.

• rtfirefly says:

Ft. Campbell is the base I drove by when I was moving back from FL to CA. I wanted to stop there, but I really didn’t have the time or money.
        Still, I saw the gates. Ft. Benning I guess I don’t have a clue.
        Just on a personal note: my brother’s wife’s father retired as a 3-star General decorated by and who worked for Ronnie.
        My brother’s stepdaughter graduated from the Academy and is probably about a Captain now, or perhaps a Lt. Col. I don’t know; my brother and I had a falling out years ago.
        Whole blasted family is military.
        I got to meet The General at my brother’s wedding. Think I’ve written that story too many times, but the weather sucks and it’s no good going out.

• NoFear49er says:

LOL, how about Georgia then?

Ft Campbell, take the last train to Clarksville, on the way to Nashville and you’ll pass right by. On the KY/TN border.

• rtfirefly says:

I didn’t mean to demean you accomplishments, NF, you know that.
        Ignored your comment about your jump in the DR by mistake.

• rtfirefly says:

WHICH Clarksville? There’s about thirty of them in the South. Oh, the one in Georgia. I did consulting work in Ole Miss, but all I could do was visit Georgia for a little while.
        When they say Georgia Peaches, though, they ain’t kiddin’!

• NoFear49er says:

No accomplishment there to demean, RT. Just an experience brought to mind by your remark about a lot of walking.

Clarksville, Tennessee, btw. Jeff Fisher and the Titans had a great relationship with the post and the soldiers there. I’m sure that has and will continue under Munchak.

BIG MISTAKE. I did consulting work in Bama, not Ole Miss. I apologize.

Come from a long line of non-re-uppers, I guess. My grandfather did something in the war, but he never got overseas. He never talked about it other than saying he put in his 4. My father trained for fighter pilot school (Pensacola in ’43?). Rarely talked about it, and didn’t even get overseas himself as the war ended before his training did. Can’t see how they crammed him into a mustang, though. He was 6’5″. . . He did his 4 years and left as well. No cousins or nieces/nephews either.

Anyhow, uh, what?

• rtfirefly says:

Give me time to let my back heal up and I might write something intelligent about football for a change.
      Right around the beginning of preseason, if the timing is right.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Pensacola was Navy wasn’t it? So that would be a Hellcat or a Corsair. Not sure where the equivalent USAAF schools were.

The Corsair was a fucking beautiful plane. Just beautiful.

The Hellcat, not quite so much. But the Hellcat was a natural born killer. 19:1 kill ratio and over 300 aces, IIRC.

Woof!

Yeah, I don’t really know where dear old dad was back then, just that he was USAAF when he joined (11/43) and USAF when he left (11/47). He did marvel at the limited seat time he got in a mustang though.

One of my favorite WWII planes was the Catalina, the PBY.
    It was a PBY we sent the British on “Lend-Lease” that found the Bismarck.
    Very much used in the Pacific before of their long range.

Plus, they were they first truly efficient seaplane ever made. By that, I mean, they had skis and could land and coast through the water. A recon plane.

My dad ended up buying, restoring, and flying, a Ryan PT-22. Goofy-ass looking plane. Open cockpit(s) single wing trainer. He didn’t however, put pontoons on it . . .

Fucking Bullitt the biggest dipshit in the free world.

Hernandez likely gone for at least the season, Gronk for part of the season and Tebow waiting in the wings, pass the popcorn :-)

• Grumpy Guy says:

Hernandez is gone, period. He has been released by the Pats. He’ll be playing pick up the soap for a great many years, most likely.

The Tebow Express rolls on. I can’t believe he’s much more than a backup TE at this point. Even with the cupboard bereft of TEs in NE.

Wow. Hernandez is arrested. Yikes. Dude is in a world of hurt. Talk about killing the golden goose.

The Pats had a ton of cash promised and already paid to Hernandez on his new contract. Looks like the Pats’ poindexters were just waiting for the police to charge and arrest to start the process of getting it back. The gun charges alone may have been enough to make Hernandez unavailable to perform on his contract.

He may now hire Ray Lewis as his new (offensive) defensive consultant.

NEW THREAD IS UP.