A Great Day for Bay Area Sports

Unfortunately none of it is football related. The Dubs win an OT thriller to tie up their best-of-seven series with the SASpurs at two games. A game that I had the unmitigated luck to see from the comfort of a luxury suite. The Giants got a solid 7 innings of shut-out ball from Timmy as the Giants took 3 of 4 from the Atlanta Bravos. No mean feat there as the Giants reclaimed sole possession of first place. And the Sharks advanced to the next round of the playoffs in their Sysyphian quest to finally make it to the Stanley Cup finals.

In 49er news, the rookies got to walk through the facilities, making sure not to touch anything or lift anything to thus void the NFLPA agreement that no one can do anything anywhere without express written consent of deMaurice pompitous-of-love Smith and his gaggle of lawyers. There was an OTA or mini-mellon-cougar-camp or something last weekend. Then we get rookie camp, OTAs, regular mini camps, and then regular camp. I don’t know. Whatever the agreement was last year, it sure made a mess of what used to be called training camp. Now it’s no more two-a-days, designated pad/non-pad sessions, walk-throughs, shorts-and helmets practices, shirts and shoes required, tie and tails optional.

In other words, nothing really. So, as it is, enjoy the defending champion Giants, pray Steph Curry’s ankle holds up a little longer, and hope the Sharks can overcome their propensity to underwhelm in the playoffs.

Woo hoo!!

About these ads

17 Responses to A Great Day for Bay Area Sports

To quote Chuck: “woo hoo.”

2. Grumpy Guy says:

In more happy news, yes, the 49ers drafted A.J. Jenkins. But at least it wasn’t Titus Young or Justin Blackmon.

Well, AJ’s been talking like he wants to improve his status as the resident dog in the doghouse, but until it happens, I’m not holding my breath. Crabtree certainly made strides to be a better teammate, but he hasn’t had all that much competition since he’s been here. Then again he has been a solid if not spectacular WR for the 49ers from the get-go. Adding Bouldin is excellent, and the hope is Manningham recovers fully.

If so, the upcoming WR competition is only a good thing, and I hope we have a diamond in the rough somewhere. I mean, you have to dig Quinton Patton’s enthusiasm.

Chuck Muncie, the RB from Cal, the Saints and the Chargers, passed away today at 60. Yikes. R.I.P.

• RTFirefly says:

Yeah, Chuck, that’s tough. When I roomed on Tunnel Road before the Berkeley Hills Fire, my walk to school went right by Memorial Stadium.
      RIP, Chuck Muncie.

5. RTFirefly says:

The Campanile is still incredible, though.
    Warning, at the wrong time of the year you best pack about 5 changes of clothing.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOO BEARS!

6. rtfirefly2 says:

Evans Hall, where I spent most of my time, had a fantastic view of The Bay, Candlestick, everything.
    Not a real football school, and that’s just fine with me.
    And no matter how much we teased Stanford, both of our schools had tremendous respect for each other.
    RIP, Chuck Muncie. The school will be around long after I’m outta here, too.

7. RTFirefly says:

What is this now, silence?
    Chuck Muncie would be embarrassed at you guys.
    We’re not nihilists, we believe in the Big Football Coach in the Sky.

Go Stanford. RIP Chuck Muncie, what a great football player he was. But it is rather scary since I am older than he was. I guess when it’s time, it’s time.

• NoFear49er says:

I saw your post about the vids on NFL.COM. Some thoughts,

Check you have the latest Flash player Here.

Try disabling any anti-tracking apps you may be running.

Try it with Opera browser or any other than IE/FF.

No Joy? Call feebees and ask why they are hacking you.

Yeah 60 seems young to me.

9. Alleykat says:

49ers talking to Eric Mangini as a possible consultant role.Could be a good insurance policy if Vic Fangio moves on next year.Mangini has plenty of experience as a HC and DC.

New thread is up . . .