Levi’s Stadium?

Bleeeh. 501 Field? Stonewashed Stadium? The Stich? Yikes. Not down with the new name very much, but this is a sign of the times. Candestick Park went from 3-Com to Monster to Monster Cable to WTF-do-we-call-it-now and then back to the Stick. It will soon be park of the toxic wasteland that is Hunter’s Point and the Naval Shipyard.

That being said, what better company to represent the Niners? Well, beyond the fact that they are splitting from the very city where Levi’s was born in 1853, and is still headquartered. Levi’s were of course the prefered apparel of choice among the thousands of miners pouring into San Francisco in the 1850s. Strauss (as well as noted Mormon Samuel Brannan) made his bones selling supplies to the folks trying to strike it rich in California. Miner 49ers. 99% of the miners of course barely eked out a living trying to strike it rich while Strauss and Brannan (and many others) hit their paydirt supplying the fools, uh miners with supplies.

There’s your history lesson for the day. Anyone like the name? Got any cool nicknames? Frankly, I wish they’d call it Bill Walsh Stadium and they can put up all the Levi’s crap the

About these ads

35 Responses to Levi’s Stadium?

In honor of the new name, here’s ZZ Top playing Blue Jean Blues. Dungaree Dome? Yeah, it ain’t a dome. Shut it.

And what about Harbaugh? Does he have to ditch his khakis in favor of jeans?

I suppose their Dockers would suffice. . . . just as long as I don;t have to see those awful docker commercials.

This is but one of the inevitable results of paying mediocre players a million dollars for playing a dozen-plus sixty-minute games a year, let alone the $100 million contracts to those on top.

Welcome to Goodell-ball.

I’m just thankful the Hostess company went belly up before they could stick a name on what was once a symbol of team pride.

Ho Hos? Twinkies? Ding Dongs?

Corporate sponsorship has been around since Pete Rozelle got involved. Granted, it’s now a corporate filth-a-palooza in the NFL now, but there’s no aspect of our lives that isn’t controlled by corporate interests. The government is run for the (corporate) people by the (corporate) people. All Congress is is a means for Congressmen and women to pave their way to becoming lobbyists when they eventually get voted out. They write laws favoring certain industries and corporations, and then go to work for them after they leave. Kind of a self-perpetuating system of stealing taxpayer money. Fuck the Dem vs Republican bullshit. That’s all smoke and mirrors for the SIGs, PACs, and politicians to write checks at the expense of the American people while we all dither about the mass-produced news that spews forth from Comcast, Gannett, and Clear Channel.

We’re living in the Rollerball age and we don’t even know it.

4. Alleykat says:

Yeah not really down with Levi Stadium either Chuck.
    Now there be promoting “Field of Jeans” or “The 49ers fast as a Zipper WCO ”
    Hey if they want to run a fly pattern,All the reciever can just leave their barn door down and Kap knows to go deep.

The name is fine, there are plenty that are worse. I wish they’d named it *Alex Smith Stadium” just to watch Dennis blow a few gaskets. Of course, any name would render the same result……..

Ok, so it’s Levi’s Stadium. The Gold Rush history fits in with Forty Niners to a tee, so why not? $22 million a year for 10 years — sounds like a steal to me. MetLife paid something like $400 million for naming the Meadownlands new stadium — I guess nobody’s putting claims in on life insurance these days. After Levi’s, they’ll probably have the HP scoreboard, the Google wifi pavillion, the Budweiser Niner Hall of Fame, the Mondavi wine cave, and yada yada for all the corporate sponsorships. Levi’s certainly won’t be the end of the corp naming dough flowing in, not to mention the corp suites sold. Yet, the NFL won’t fund a health insurance pool for the players beyond 5 years after they retire, kind of when they start getting really symptomatic of their football injuries. Coincidental, I’m sure…

I demand health care for everyone! Tax Snarkk. Just kidding. Tax Chuck instead.

Free health care or free beer? It’s not even up for debate.

But given the results of my MRI, you might think I’d choose otherwise…”Partial tears supra and infraspinatus tendons (rotator cuff). Superior labral tear and tear involving the bicep/superior labral complex.”

…but I wouldn’t. I’d still take the free beer. I guess it’s a good thing the Giants don’t need me to pitch. But I still think I’d be a better option than Vogelsong at this juncture…

7. RTFirefly says:

John Brodie Stadium.

8. rtfirefly2 says:

If it makes it, this is John Brodie’s backup. I think he’s still HC of The Gamecocks now.
    I just don’t have the time to find out.

9. RTFirefly says:

OK, I go with Bill Walsh Stadium.
    Levi’s is fine with me, too.
    Except I needed a few new pairs for springtime at the store and they cost triple what the other brands do.
    They do last nearly forever, though.

After some research on Levi’s, I’d have to enter a vote for….
    The Rivet
    If only there were a clever way to get Denim and Gold into the mix.
    Copper being the Rivet does lose some pizazz.

Button Fly Field
    Pants -Theon SF
    And since 501s are shrink to fit jeans…….
    Nut Hugger Stadium
    The Tighter Testicle Field
    The Ball Compactor
    The Big Squeezy

I could live with The Stitch……maybe Red and Gold Stitch.

I wonder which suite Chuck will take. That’s not the Stick for sure!

12. Grumpy Guy says:

Yeah, RT, that’s the Spurrier I remember. Wounded Duck Wobbler passes and all.

Seriously, he was a guy with a marginal NFL arm, who played pretty well on a good team in 1971-72. He needed a coach and system like Walsh’s, which (as Walsh did with Virgil Carter) would play to his strengths.

After he got his collarbone mangled in pre-season in 1974, ‘marginal’ became inadequate. He suffered through a difficult year in 1975, and got shipped off to Florida to suffer the indignity of being the QB on McKay’s 0-14 Tampa Bay expansion team, before he decided his future was in coaching.

13. RTFirefly says:

Chuck, Niner HQs has been in Santa Clara for many years. I told you, I was born in San Jose, grew up first in Santa Clara, then in Cupertino.
    I’m not a carpetbagger or a Boys Fan.
    The Strauss Brothers died, but before they did they sold the best apparel.
    I didn’t grow up in California for nothing.
    If the weather keeps going like this here in NM, I might move back.

Foreigners are taking over. English is a minority language now.

• RTFirefly says:

In NM, Nipper, there are so many languages spoken it makes my head spin.
        You have to close your eyes and open your ears to understand.
        It’s kinda a Spanglish going on now.
        Killin’ my research on the origins of English at the library.

14. rtfirefly2 says:

Drivin’ my back nuts. Torrential rain, then cleanup time, then back to 85. Don’t know if you are coming or going.
    General Sherman once wrote, “What we need to do is go to war with Mexico so we can give it back”.
    It’s really Native Land, and they are Great People, and I wouldn’t be the least bit disappointed to give this beautiful country back to them. I would miss it greatly, but I would get over it.
    (They just had the Native American Festival at the Cultural Center in ABQ.)

HQ, but not the stadium itself. That was the reason for this:

san-francisco-49ers-new-logo-1991

16. RTFirefly says:

The Stadium? You mean where I froze my arse off for so many years?
    After I was at Cal, and I couldn’t go there anymore, they came up with
    The Croix de Candlestick.
    Did you know they had palm trees behind the center field fence?

Back before they closed it in for the 49ers, they did.

18. RTFirefly says:

I had my hands on some really nice pics of it. But I fumbled them away.
    Ach so, on to business now.

THey are out there somewheree.

New thread is up . . .