Alex Smith – The Gift that Keeps on Giving

. . . in so many ways. Yes, back by popular demand, the most blogged-about quarterback west of Tim Tebow, we present for one more time, the continuing drama of Alex Smith. For all of his fans, he takes his kudos east as he tries to wrest another franchise from the depths of mediocrity with the help of a head coach who is known for his acumen in dealing with quarterbacks in Andy Reid. Reid, for his part, is also battling his own demons, professional and otherwise, as his rollercoaster ride in Philly finally came to a merciful close. Throw in a personal life rife with tragedy and you have the makings for all that feel-good crap the national media thrives on. If Alex and Andy can revive a once-dominant and now feeble franchise and fanbase to get KC back into the sunshine, the huzzahs will rain like, un rain upon the denizens of Arrowhead stadium.

For all of Alexa’s detractors, I guess their hope is he flames out in a system that isn’t spoon-fed him by an overly nurturing coach in Jim Harbaugh. He is laughed to the bench of a lousy team as he rots in ambiguity as a backup quarterback for the rest of his misbegotten career.

But wait! There’s reason to root for Alex Smith! As we all know, the Niners were given a conditional draft pick for the Smith trade. A 2nd or 3rd depending on how well the Chiefs and Alex do. Well, the bar was set. 8-8 = good = 2nd round pick for the Niners. 7-9 or below = bad = 3rd round pick. Although if Smith does well and the team sucks, I guess that hasn’t been factored in yet. I suppose it’s strictly by record.

Still and all, a great situation for the Niners to be in as they traded with back with Tennessee for their 3rd round pick next year, are likey to get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Goldson, and this 2 or 3 from KC. A possible 6 picks in the first 3 rounds for a draft that looks very strong. Trent Baalke is doing a wonderful job of keeping the team loaded with picks. It looks like he understands that the FA market, while useful, isn’t as important as stocking the team through the draft. I expect to see a trade of Scott Tolzein for Patrick Peterson.

About these ads

66 Responses to Alex Smith – The Gift that Keeps on Giving

1. Alleykat says:

Well here goes Baakle again.
    Just signed back Adam Snyder to 2yrs.
    Good Backup.Maybe see him at center some.
    Snyder probably said fuck the desert,Arizona sucks!!
    Need to go back to “WINNERS”

2. barleyfreak says:

Smith frustrated me, but I rooted for him. Now he’s on a different team with a potential 2nd rounder for the Niners in the balance. Rooting to continue.

Snyder? When replacing Chilo, he was epic. Easily done. He’s versatile, but I’m not that impressed. I think our OL is actually pretty deep, and wonder what (if any) guaranteed $ he gets. Backup center is a mystery. Looney is bandied about, but he’s never played it at the NFL level. Snyder could. Yawn.

Adam Snyder? That tells me they don’t have much faith in either Kilgore or Looney. A trade of Tolzien for Patrick Peterson? You’re joking, right? An UDFA for a guy who was the 5th overall pk just two years ago. Send me some of what you’re drinking.

Fuck Alex Smith. I hope we break his goddamn neck in the preseason game.

I’m not up to speed on the AS trade details. What if KC finishes 8-8 and Smith is on IR this yr. Still get the 2nd rd pk? The Chiefs can finish 8-8 w/o that POS. Break his fucking neck.

This from a guy who broke his shoulder falling out of his high chair?

Waaah! What a maroon.

The price is right, Dennis. Nothing wrong with depth. Much like Brian Sabean trading Torres for Pagan, and then re-signing Torres after he’s cut by the Mets.

Funny you brought up Torres, Chuck. He’s the baseball equivalent to Alex Smith in my mind. They’ve had the same career. Suck. Suck. Hurt. Hurt. Suck. Suck. Great year. Hurt and replaced. Same guy different sport. It’s uncanny really.

• JDR says:

Yes, if you leave out that Torres was undrafted, spent nine years kicking around the minor leagues on minimal contracts, clawed his way up as a role player then finally broke through with a world title, it’s almost like they’re sort of maybe in some way. You know, because their first names start with “A”

R-i-i-i-i-i-i-ght. You got a few screws loose, skippy.

And if I read the AS trade right. It has absolutely nothing to do with Alex. Our trade pk compensation is all predicated on the Chief’s record next year. Alex could get hit by a bus, fly to the moon or find God and decide to quit football entirely and it would have zero effect. Shit. Art Schlichter could escape from federal prison in Ohio, win enough money gambling to get him to KC, win their starting QB job and take them to 8-8 next year thus giving the Niners a 2nd rd pk. This trade isn’t about Alex. It’s not Alex performance based. That tells ya everything you need to know about Alex Smith right there.

• Grumpy Guy says:

C’mon, that is crazy ass talk.

Art Schichter only *lost* money gambling.

That Art Schlichter example was a bit of a stretch. Like that life long loser could ever win enough money gambling to get his ass to KC. There’s losers. Then there’s me. Followed up by Bad Luck Schleprock. Ten lengths behind him is Bernie Lootz. And eating Bernie’s dust would be Art Schlichter. Schlichter is German for “Complete and utter Mook.” Shit. Artie gives mooks a bad name.

And if any of you didn’t get the Bernie Lootz reference, I’ll save you the trouble of looking him up. He was the main character played brilliantly by Wm. H. Macy in “The Cooler” (2003). When anyone started to win at the casino, they’d send Bernie over to “cool them off” their winnings. Underrated Vegas/mob story with a genuine romantic element added to the mix. This horse gives it three out of four hooves.

You can’t get any lower, Dennis, even though yer still sinking.

It has nothing to do with Alex? Delerium, dude. To recap, the Chefs traded 2 draft picks, possibly 2 second round draft picks, for Alex Smith to be their starting QB. Are ya with me so far?

Surely even you know the easiest way to quantify ‘good’ or ‘bad’ is team record. You can’t quantify good QBing by strictly looking at numbers. Just look at your home-o boy, Tonie Romo.

But it’s not performance based. There should at least be a clause in the minimum number of games he starts to quantify the draft compensation. If they finish 6-10 with him as their starter all 16 games they should only have to give us a 3rd rounder. But what if they finish 10-6 and Alex never plays a down? Why should they have to give up a 2nd rd pk when he contributed nothing?

We were luckier than shit that Alex got traded in the year that he did. Do you think if Luck and RG III were coming out this yr that KC would have traded for Alex? Even you’re not that big of a mook. KC overpaid for Alex because they had no other options.

I don’t even know why I’m wasting my time with Alex. He’s gone. Thank Christ. Now I hope he dies. The end.

• Flavor says:

Dennis, what I’ve discovered about you is that if i don’t read your posts for a few months they actually just make me laugh.
        So keep it up and I’ll check back in July

And Torres is a 4th outfielder who did a lot in 2010 to win the Giants a World Series. All you did was whine like a 6 year old girl. Before, during, and after.

Boo hoo. You don’t deserve either team.

And for the last fucking time…

Smith: 38-36-1 as a starter. 79.1 QB rating. 81 TDs 75 INTs
    Romo 55-38 as a starter 95.6 QB rating. 177 TDs 91` INTs

Alex Smith = Andres Torres
    Tony Romo = Pablo Sandoval

Oh yeah. Did we sign Peyton Manning yet? The fact that you, and others, wanted and thought we were better off with Alex > Manning is the end all be all. Do I want the Bentley or the Gremlin? That’s a tough one…

• Flavor says:

See, this stupid shit just makes me laugh now instead of skewer his dumb ass for being so ignorant.
      Anyway, enjoy your night. See if you can double up on those therapy visits each week, eh?
      Or find one that actually knows what the fuck they’re doing.
      Oh, I forgot…
      “Lol”

Here’s a thought. Next time when making and accepting a wager with someone, comply with the agreed upon terms of said bet. Don’t change the payoff with some “personal gift” bullshit. You’re lucky I didn’t make a goddamn federal offense out of you weaseling out of our two bottle of booze bet on Manning and Smith. I blame myself for accepting the shit. Your bottle of wine fucking jinxed us.

Oh, btw. Are you still a biased, unfair and most unjust fantasy baseball commissioner. Or did you just act that way when I played in the league?

How about playoff records, Dennis?

You, Like Romo, live in Fantasy land.

And, again, you ignorant slut, the Niners were better off with Alex because they would have lost half the team had they spent the money on Manning. As it is we are even better off with Kaepernick. Look what Manning did in the playoffs last year. He choked. Boo hoo. As usualm you are backing the wrong horses

Right. That was Manning playing safety and not Rahim Moore when Flacco hit Jacoby Jones on that Hail Mary. All his fault. Who wants a guy that last year made his 12th Pro Bowl, 6th All-Pro selection, runner-up MVP and named Comeback Player of the Year? Silly me. We want Alex!

I seriously hope we break his fucking neck in preseason. No amount of therapy could give me the satisfaction of watching Alex getting carted off the field.

You think the Ravens are winning the Super Bowl next year? No, they aren’t because they mortgaged their future by signing Flacco to his $zillion deal and losing a bunch of players.

Chuck predicts the future!

The Niners had the cap space to sign Peyton. And it would not have handicapped them to the point of being unable to sign other players. Your bullshit not withstanding. And let us all remember one very crystal clear and poignant point. Regardless of what Jimbo continued to spew out there that the Niners were only “evaluating” Peyton, and not “pursuing” him. IF Manning would have said he wanted to come here, the Niners would have signed him in a heartbeat. And you and everyone else in the 49er Empire would have jumped right behind me on the Manning bandwagon. But for reasons that still allude me, Peyton chose Denver > San Francisco.

And look what happened last year. Neither Manning nor our Niners won the Super Bowl. Which only goes to prove my point. Which is? I forgot. Watching the Warriors vomit this game up vs SA in 2OT will do that to a guy.

The Golden State Warriors franchise is a laughingstock. Fuck them.

C
    H
    O
    K
    E

Don’t even bother showing up for Game 2.

The Warriors were up 16. SIXTEEN pts with 4 mins to play. You can add the ewntire W’s franchise to Alex Smith for those who need, should and I’ll be praying like hell get carted off.

Disgraceful

No matter how Alex finishes out his career, his history here was summed up by us letting him go to FA and him finding no takers there followed by a mercy one and done deal. No reason to wish him anything but good fortune, somewhere else.

Glad Snyder was signed again. He’s a solid and versatile back up and may even contend for a starting right guard spot.

Dennis, Manning wanted to run “his” offense and bring in some favorites to help. Harbaugh don’t play that game. Elway always has.

NJ49er, how did your board do against the real world draft?

Not that anyone cares, but I finished 7th out of 500 over at FF Today in this year’s draft contest. I won a free “Draft Buddy” AND a FF Today T-shirt. There’s no stopping me this year.

• NoFear49er says:

Congrats. How’d that contest work?

Can you trade it for a draught buddy and a “ban assault pressure cookers” t-shirt?

Not too bad at all actually….
      I got several right NoFear49er –

Eric Reid
      Corey Lemonier
      Tank Carradine
      Vance McDonald
      Marcus Lattimore
      Quinton Patton
      Luke Marquardt -UDFA
      Lawrence Okoye – UDFA

Problem is many of my guys landed in our Division and will now be viewed as enemy combatants.

• NoFear49er says:

Not too shabby, NJ49er. How many rookie starters did we get?

Judging by last year, probably none.
        I’ll give Reid the leg up from the Group however.
        Vance could contribute early too.

Hard to predict really.
        Tough line up to crack with Boldin being added.
        Maybe AJ makes it in ahead of Lockette or Patton?
        Lemonier as a situational pass rusher perhaps?

Good news for us is, we don’t need any of them immediately.
        Would like to see Tank and Patton ready for the late Season though.

• NoFear49er says:

Tank and Patton, gotta love that combination on the roster anyway.

The strength of our linebackers dictates we keep a 3-4 base even if we didn’t find our Vince Wilfork type 0-tech. Probably means we lean more on the 4-2 front again. Stopping the run may give us some gas then. Those 2-gap DTs are getting hard to come by.

Figured you’d catch that comparison NoFear49er.
        Not often you can boast a Tank and a Patton on the Roster.

Joking with my Son regarding the odds of Drafting that combo and getting 2 Quintons’ in the same Draft Class.

Needless to say, he bought the beer this year.
        I smoked him in our annual Draft Class Competition this year.

He was pissed about losing out on Datone.
        I’m bummed about Tavon and Jamie Collins.
        Was happy to land Lemonier however.

Tavon was a long shot once his momentum started gaining traction. I was praying he’d get down the Draft Board for us several months ago.
        I do think Lemonier is going to be a nice addition for us off the edge however.

I think Reid is the only starter out of the bunch. At least this season.

Nice job there, NJ. I think Tavon Auston may be the biggest headache of the bunch.

Poor Dennis. Always the fair weather fan. The guy who falls out of chairs has the nerve the question athletes.

Like I said, Dennis, you have no right to even be a fan. Don’t watch. Or, better yet, support a team that continually sucks on ice so you can bitch endlessly about it.

Hello Raiders. . . .

Thanks Chuck.
      Now….If I could find a way to get paid for all this research and, land a job with the team, I’d be a happy camper.
      Yeh, Tavon would’ve been better on our Roster or somewhere else other than StL.
      Kid is a water bug.
      Tough assignment for our D.

The more I’ve studied Patton, the more I think he’s an insurance policy for Crabtree.
      He’s not a stopwatch scary guy but he plays fast.
      Very very similar to Manningham. He can do some damage and, he locates the ball very well.
      Plays inside, outside and underneath.
      Vance is a tough cookie too.
      I like the Draft Class very much.

We have plenty of competition within the NFC West now.
      Looking forward to the additions on Defense paying dividends for us.

TE stands a shot at getting some starts as well. The biggest replacement needs going in, in other words.

I think our PS will be made up of OL’s, LB’s, and WR’s. God I love it when our team is just loaded with talent. Competition in TC will be fierce this year.

Oh yeah, we gotta have some DE’s on there too. It’s a shame the league doesn’t expand rosters a little, like maybe 60.

Levi jeans? I haven’t worn any in 40 years. Too expensive. I get them a lot cheaper from other brands.

Levi’s field. What a shit name.

Not if they pay those bucks. I bet you would tattoo your forehead for that kind of dough.

Where’s Dennis? Hell of a game by the Dubs. Didn’t think they’d come back this strong. The Dubs are in the driver’s seat right now. They are younger and faster than SA. Duncan and Parker can’t carry this team.

Levi’s Stadium?
    Is that a 505 or a 509? Regular or Relaxed Fit? I’ll go with Relaxed…

Does this mean Harbaugh has to ditch the khakis in favor of some jeans?

New thread s up/