Day Three III of the Draft

The Niners, and Trant Baalke, are pretty much kicking ass in this draft so far. Reid isn’t Vaccaro, but he’s what the Niners wanted at 18, a strong hitter in the defensive backfield. Plus Jerry Jerkoff got schooled. The Niners then drafted down in the 2nd to get the guy they wanted anyway in Tank Carradine, which netted a 3rd round pick next year. Carradine is a strong DE which gives the Niners another fast edge rusher to bookend Aldon Smith.

The Niners then traded their 61st and and 173rd pick to GB to get a TE in Vance McDonald of Rice. He’s 6’4″, 265 so he’s a load, and other than that I got nothing on the guy. Reports are he’s big, strong and raw. Excellent blocker. Trouble with the drops. Would have liked to seen Ertz, but they were looking for size and blocking I guess.

The 3rd round brought another trade with GB to trade up and get yet another fast edge rushing defensive player in OLB Corey Lemonier from Auburn. The 49ers sent GB their 93 and 217th pick to get to 88 and snag him.

It’s fairly obvious that the Niners are leaning toward getting faster on defense. Because of one guy. Russell Wilson. Harbaugh and Baalke have determined that the biggest threat to the Niners supremacy lies within their division in the Seahawks. They haven’t bulked up their interior line, they have drafted for edge speed.

Going forward tomorrow? I’m sure they draft a WR, an interior lineman, and maybe an ST/DB type. And maybe two or three more trades.

About these ads

47 Responses to Day Three III of the Draft

1. RTFirefly says:

Patton, WR Louisiana Tech.
    We’re rollin’ now.

2. RTFirefly says:

Ladies of The Empire? She was cute, anyway.
    Marcus Lattimore, RB South Carolina.

I dated one of those Ladies of the Empire. She wore a black cape and big black helmet all the time, but she belonged to the Empire.

• RTFirefly says:

That was how the Chiquita announced the Niner pick. Started to write – not going there.
        LOL. Niner’s up to A- now. They are kickin’ it.

I saw the “Lady” make the pick. But she was a blonde. Me no like blondes. They say, “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” (1953). Well, sir, I’m no gentlemen.

Lattimore!!!!!!! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Love that pick.

4. RTFirefly says:

Lattimore is going to the developmental squad for the year, then start spelling Frank next year.
    Just a guess, mind you.

5. RTFirefly says:

The Niners have 6 picks left????? 6?????
    Ever check one of those reality shows about hoarders?
    I actually like the Storage Wars stuff and the Pickers show.
    Old guys with barns full of stuff out in my neck of the desert.
    Hmmm, 6????
    You got me. Will the practice fields be big enough?

If Lattimore’s leg heals OK, he’s a second round type taken in the fourth. Another Gore story, and the kid has guts. It’s a mild stretch, but in the fourth, well they can afford if it doesn’t work. But, if it hits, that’s gold…

Niners probably talked with Sonny Dykes about Quinton Patton, wouldn’t doubt that. Kid seems like a solid possibility, more of a route runner. I would have preferred they get a burner, but maybe Manningham’s knee injury is not looking good. Anyway, competition acquired for Jenkins, I’m thinkin he’s obviously less than stellar — a first round WR on the shelf for the entire first season without injury is a huge huge warning sign the kid is not a player…

Patton looks good. Like the pick. Love the Lattimore pick. AJ came in star-crossed and out of shape last year. He worked with Kappy on the scout team for the frst 7 games. Strange they couldn’t get it going by the end of the year. He’s not dead yet. He worked out with Kappy in GA in March, and the hope is he’s sticking with it. It’s all up to him now.

Finally some beef. Quentin Dial, 6’5′, 320. From Alabama.

Niners gotta get rid of some picks somehow, or they’ll have too many guys to burn…

Don’t look now but Seattle has drafted a demon crew, and will be loaded for bear this season. Rams have had an above average draft, too. The NFC West division games are going to be a bloodbath this season. Easily should have two playoff teams come out of this division again. Going to be hard for the Niners to win 11, I think…

Saw the Eagles take Barkley out of USC. He’s strictly a pocket guy, he’s slow as molasses. How’s that going to work in a Chip Kelley system? Tells me after Vick, they’re not going to have a Kelley system…

I think the Seawads and the Niners are having a great time in this draft
    We get Rice’s TE and they get the other, they get the big man in the middle from Alabama and we get the other. snark, this year will be a bloodbath in our division and I think the last man standing will win it. Injuries will be the reason.

Niners go heavy with the DLs. They saw that the DL last season crossed the finish line exhausted, and they need a bigger stable for rotational reasons, and keep everybody fresh, and of course allow for injuries. With Dodds back, and Haralson, too, the front 7 rotations are going to be friggin fierce. Add Neil into the backfield, and this defense could be a freekin’ monster, which they’re going to need in the NFC West, the new black and blue division of the NFC…

10 players picked? CB was the last pick and they took a big back, Marcus Cooper, 6’2″ 192 ran a 4.46 ranked the 40th CB, surprised considering how all 3 of our NFCW opponents took slot playmakers during the off season. I can only presume someone on roster is considered ready to take over the slot guy since Carlos got his ass kicked at the position last season.
    Niners did address the other positions of need with a heavy emphasis on D line.

NFCW has 17 of the top 100 players voted by the players themselves. Most of any division. NFC BEST, strongest division in football.

Signed the British discus thrower Okoye following the draft too.

Torres is wearing this inning.

This draft is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I can only assume the team has small regard for the current backups and PS players cause no way can they place 11 players on the roster and PS without cutting decent players.
    I would have rather bundled the picks and moved up twice in the first/second and gotten impact players, particularly a slot CB, than see so many picks that will be hitting the streets in August. Alternatively bundling more picks for next years draft.
    Competition sounds great but an embarrassement of riches looks at first blush like a waste to me.

I thought they’d trade back to next year more than they did. Or they are going to lose the last 4 picks. Who knows? I guess they have a new crop of PS guys anyway.

20. Grumpy Guy says:

Actually, I believe we already have ten picks next year. One in the draft day trade, one condition for Alex, one for Colin Jones, and our own seven. PLUS whatever we get as compensatory picks. So we are not lacking for 2014 picks.

Lattimore will be on IR this year. Harbs is already telling him to take it slow with his rehab. Figure one or two guys will go on IR in camp, and you’re only really cutting a guy or two.

We do have 10 next year Grump. My thinking is why take so many “prospects” in the draft in the later rounds when they could have bundled more to pick higher at a time when there are almost no starting spots open and almost certainly only higher talent guys will make it statistically? They are basically pitting PS guys against rookies. They seem to have taken 2 guys with a shot at starting, Reid and Tank and 1 more that will get on the field for ST, Moody. The rest look like deep depth/PS guys.

Same argument for next year, why use 12 or more picks only to send half of either them or PS/depth guys to the street in August? Hopes of finding a diamond in the rough?

They did help themselves into next year with a 3rd and Lattimore which were good moves.

Lattimore is worth the risk. I think this will be Frank’s last year, if Lattimore works out they are in good shape with a 3 headed hydra.

Looks like a B- to me and not the “A” game Harbs talked about. They had the ammo but rarely pulled the trigger.

Yeah, it’s more about retooling the practice squad.

22. Grumpy Guy says:

The big logjam I see is at OLB. Two starters, two rookies, Haralson and Fleming returning.

We’ll likely keep four. It would help Haralson’s case if he could learn ILB this TC, and be a swing guy. He cannot get up the field in pass rush anymore but he is pretty sound against the run. Carradine could see some time at DE but he is more of an OLB / edge rusher in our scheme, IMHO.

Okoye and Marquardt will be on the practice squad this year I think but could be major factors going forward if they develop.

The draft will go as Reid goes. If he makes a couple of pro bowls, I think it will be remembered as a good one. If not, it won’t.

Lattimore could be the gem of the draft – or he could never make it back. The structural damage to his knee was profound. Around 50-50, I think.

I agree about Tank being more suited to OLB this year Grump but Baalke is on record saying Tank will have his hand on the ground as a DE and not an OLB.

• Grumpy Guy says:

He can do it, just needs to add 20 pounds without losing any explosiveness. 273 or whatever is a little light for a modern 3-4 end.

• JDR says:

I thought Tank was already up around 290, and his listed weight was from the start of the year with FSU.

• JDR says:

I don’t think Tank goes into coverage at all, especially if they’re grooming him for Smith’s DE spot. More likely they use him as a pass rusher. Keep in mind that they didn’t use the base 3-4 that often this year; lots of nickle/dime formations. Perhaps sub in Tank for McDonald or Williams/Dorsey on long passing downs.
      Okoye is something like 6’6 and has a 36″ vertical. If they have room on the roster he could be a definite weapon for blocking kicks.

I think Haralson’s gone. I thought he’d be gone by now.

Great Draft IMO.
    Jerruh got screwed by only taking a 3 from us and, leaving us a player he should have taken for himself.
    He’s got such an ego.
    He apparently thinks deals are more important than talent acquisition.
    If he had a clue, he’d be dangerous.

He then takes our 31 and grabs an OC he could’ve gotten much later.
    Thanks Jerruh. You’re still a douche.

I’m pissed that we didn’t get OLB Jamie Collins though. He looks like a good one.
    Lemonier made my list though, so, no complaints with him and Tank.
    QDial is a load. Little raw but has major upside.

Reid was my top FS simply because I figured we wouldn’t get a sniff at Vaccaro.
    My guess is, since Vaccaro went earlier, we blocked NYG and StL from getting Reid.

A little disappointed that we didn’t grab a slot CB but, Cooper has the height I wanted, he’s going to be a project though.

Here’s a snipet of info on Cooper –
    ‘Cooper was a highly-rated wide receiver out of Connecticut who ranked second in state history with 3,014 career receiving yards, 43 receiving touchdowns and 13 consecutive games with a touchdown catch.

He saw action in two games in 2008 and six more in 2009 before making the switch to cornerback. Cooper appeared in nine games in 2010, finishing with 16 tackles and two pass breakups.

He appeared in all 13 games as a junior and again last season. Cooper finished his senior season with 42 tackles and three pass breakups’.

‘Cooper showed good strength at his pro day with 20 lifts of 225 pounds while running a 4.45-second 40-yard dash. Impressive size/speed/strength combo despite not being invited to the combine. Converted from WR three years ago’

Size & Speed can’t be taught. He’ll get Coached up.
    After that, it’s up to him.
    Not a bad program at Rutgers.
    Pats took several guys from that Secondary in the past couple of years.

Perhaps he’s a contributor at WR?

Lattimore is a solid kid, pulling for him to recover fully.
    He’s probably in the best situation he could have asked for.
    Frank as a mentor, a Playoff caliber team and, nobody rushing him into service.
    This is how you build for the future, with solid prospects at bargain prices.

Watch out for Quinton Patton too.
    This kid comes to play.

Baalke did an excellent job IMO.
    Even grabbed 2 of my Sleepers, Marquardt and Okoye from Gr Brittain.
    No risk, potential for high reward guys.
    Marquardt especially. Converted TE learning the OT position from HOFer Jackie Slater?
    Double upside IMO.
    Weapon for our OL if he can hang on and contribute.

My feeling is that Trenton Robinson could be in line to handle the Slot Coverage for us.
    He’s a bit smaller, hits well and runs well enough to consider at the position.
    Losing out on Cyprien isn’t a big deal for me.
    He’s a SS.
    Our immediate need was the FS.
    I’m figuring the SS can wait until next April where we’ll likely have some decent options at the end of the Rds once again.
    I had Earl Wolff higher than Cyprien anyway. Problem is, Philly snagged him where I’d had hoped we would have had a shot.

So it goes in the Draft process.
    Have a Board, see what develops.

Vance over Ertz didn’t surprise me either. Vance has attitude. Can’t have enough of that when you’re making a living over the middle.
    I think he was a solid pick also.

I truly wonder if Jerruh has any Scouts, since he seems to know everything anyway.
    His War Room reminds me of a Donald Trump ‘Apprentice-type’ Board Meeting.
    The head clown front and center with all the Brown Nosers clamoring for an opportunity to kiss some A$$.

Dallas deserves all the ridicule it gets because of the 800LB Ego in the Room.

Seattle grabbed OLB/DE Ty Powell from my Sleeper list too.
    Bastards.

DT Jared Smith from UNH too.
    Not to mention Jesse Williams.

And WR Chris Harper from K-St.
    Geez, half my guys landed on the wrong Team.

Query: I just woke up. Did Chuck get anything right? And does he still call people skippy? Gots to know!

31. Alleykat says:

Solid draft,added depth throughout.Lots of competition going coward.Picked up some valuable ST player depth as well.Watchout for Lemioner kid can play.Good chance of taking over for Paryl on the depth chart.

Go back to sleep (sk)nippy. I said we’d trade up for a FS and we did. The rest was what everyone was saying. Shore up the D line, get a WR, a TE and depth. Not too earthshaking.

The Reid/Cyprien debate will continue for a bit. I like the fact they did what they did to get him and keep him from StL. Having to cover Tavon Austin 2x a year will be a thrill though.

The way it’s playing out is you win the West, you win the NFC. Unless you get killed trying to.

New thread