Draft Day is Here!

Finally. And I’m a $&#%ing year older. Yippee . . . Anyhow, the speculation gabfest is still in frenzy mode as everybody knows the Niners are not going to draft 13 players. I’d say somewhere in the 6-8 range is likely. 7 being the number I’d go with. I think we will trade up in the 1st, and trade back to next year. And I still think the Niners are targeting a safety. Either Brenda Vaccaro or Su-Su Cyprien. There are plenty of big bodies in the mid to later rounds that should be able to fill our needs. Magnus von Magnusson could very well be available with the 31st pick (63rd overall) in the 2nd round. People are likely scared off by his age. So, concievably the Niners could get their safety and their big body guy without too much damage.

How far they’ll need to trade up to get Vaccaro remains to be seen. It’s looking like they’ll need to get to Miami. They want him. We could trade Rogers to Miami and give them our 34 and our 3rd round (93rd overall) pick. Vaccaro had a shitty 40 time, but his shuttle times were among the best. He was able to keep guys like Ryan Swope and Tavon Austin in check. He also was able to track down and tackle Austin from behind in a game last year. Football speed is different than track speed, and he proves it.

All the talk about DL is important, but we do have players on the line at this time. Yes, we are thin and need depth, but the more pressing need is FS. Goldson is gone. Justin Smith isn’t. Ergo, Vaccaro. And yeah, I know Soap and RJF are gone. But we did get Tommy Dorsey and Ian Williams was bumped up the depth chart. Ergo Vaccaro or Cyprien.

About these ads

104 Responses to Draft Day is Here!

1. RTFirefly says:

Don’t mess with legacies, Chuck.

Nate Montana, #252. Is it Sunday before we get him?

I threw a Budweiser can at my computer screen when “Flounder’s” pic appeared. And so help me Christ, if I ever catch a Niner with a pledge pin on their uniform there’s going to be hell to pay.

Chuck, I think the Niners will indeed pull a George and Weezy Jefferson and move on up in the draft, but not for Brenda. I think they either get Star or Richardson and p/u a safety (Swearinger?) by moving up again in the 2nd. Just a guess. Just tossing some shit on the wall. It’s bound to stick sometime.

I still don’t have a clue as to our plan and at this point I really don’t give a shit. Draft day is always special and I can’t wait to see what we do. When it comes down to it most early round players don’t really play to potential anyway.

Bump

12th man says:
    April 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    Been unexpectedly very busy of late and had no time to keep track of the draft prospects, my thanks to NJ for doing the grunt work. I would like to see Richardson and Reid/Cyprien by whatever mechanism Baalke figures out. Richardson possibly with the Jets pick and Reid/Cyprien with the Niners 31 or 34 whichever they still have after trading. After that I think the draft is deep in positions of need so I don’t see why they should trade up as WR, SS, FS, CB and second tier TE all seem very similar to me and available in rounds 3 through 5/6. I also expect to see some horse trading into next years draft.

I will definitely be watching avidly tonight to see what Baalke has up his sleeve this time.

Go Niners!

5. barleyfreak says:

You make some sense Chuck, so I’ll have to disagree. I think if they move up, it’s for DL, if they stand pat with 31, they take a safety.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Baalke moves BACK from the first round to ANOTHER 2nd or 3rd rounder this year and parlays another pick in 2014/2015 out of the 31st. If what I’ve read is true, and I want it to be, good solid can-make-the-team talent is there in rounds 2-5.

Without reference to rounds, or any knowledge about who they’ll draft (NJ is my proxy), I say they use 8 picks:

(1) 31. trade it for some good shit
    (2) 34. Safety (From Kansas City Chiefs via trade)
    (2) 61. WR
    (3) 74. DL/OLB (From Carolina Panthers via trade)
    (3) 93. trade if for some good shit
    (4) 128.CB
    (4) 131. TE (Compensatory pick)
    (5) 157. DL/OLB (From Indianapolis Colts via trade)
    (6) 173. trade it for some mediocre shit (From Cleveland Browns via trade)
    (6) 180. trade it for draft find extraordinaire, in 2015, (From Miami Dolphins via trade)
    (7) 227. trade it for, who-the-fuck-cares
    (7) 246. WR — Camp fodder (Compensatory pick)
    (7) 252. OL — Camp fodder (Compensatory pick)

The pisser is there’s only round one tonight. They change the damn schedule every year now it seems.

Chuck, does that mean today’s your birthday? If it is, then Happy Birthday to you and thanks for running this blog. I don’t say much but I sure do enjoy it.

8. ratsassbastard says:

If anything you numbnuts should know by now is you can’t predict what the 49er’s will do.

Flounder ended up being…Flounder. and Dennis you are definitely Niedermeyer

oh and happy Birthday Chuck, hope it has been a great one!!

Ergo Vaccarro. Brenda’s brother?
    I think they take Dline first, then a safety. And, they’ll grab a WR somewhere later. No doubt Baalke will package some picks to get earlier ones next year — that’s always a good thing to keep the train running smoothly. Who knows if they move up to grab somebody — but, I wouldn’t say it can’t happen, especially if it’s a DL guy they really like. The DL is getting a little old, two guys are gone, and the replacements are not the most stellar…

Since it is my day, I’m gonna miss all the fun. At some point around 7:30 I’ll try to get near a TV and see where we are.

• RTFirefly says:

By 7:30 PDT the ESPN announcers will be hoarse and we will have learned that:
      1) Some owners are only out for the money and don’t have a clue;
      2) Some owners are only out for the money and know exactly what they are doing (Hi JJ! How’s the Stadium hangin’?);
      3) Some owners own the Buffalo Bills, the Cleveland Browns, and are out having dinner and trying to ignore the whole thing;
      Sooner or later though, Chuck, the Niners will draft. 1 freakin’ guy tonight. 2 tomorrow.
      Trading up/down just to keep the viewers awake.
      Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the bday wishes . . .

This scheduling is a fucking joke. Only 1 round tonight? 10 minutes between picks? Please.

They used to do what, 12 rounds of the draft in one day, all from the Rumpus Room of some hotel in New York or Cleveland, and in between tequila shots? Now, there’s only 7 rounds in 3 days, and its gets more attention than the political conventions. What a scam by ESPN and the other networks. Brilliant marketing by the NFL. Next year, we’ll have a fourth day of coverage watching the carpenters re-paint the Green Room before the draft starts…

I wonder if the Niners strike a deal with the Raiders. They desperately need picks, and we could give them 5 for their one and still have 9 picks ourselves.

Happy 52 Birthday you Mook! I’d gladly get you a card and send you some money. But as you know,…

Side note: I have that exact Dobbs hat that Bobby D. is wearing in that “Mean Streets” scene. I have style. Which reminds me…

And the 1st pick for KC is . . . . Tackle Eric Fisher . . .

Jags shoulda went w/ a pass rusher there. Last in sacks last year. Gabbert’s still going to get sacked with Joeckel blocking. Blaine’s a pussy who falls down when he feels the wind blow…

Raiders are trading with someone.

Chuck, strike a deal w/ Raiders and get pk 3? Stop drinking your birthday booze. That’s Chuckles the Clown talk.

Easy to say after the fact, Skippy.

I’m out. B-day dinner . . .

Raiders trade down for Miami’s 12th this round, and their 2nd round. Good move…

Raiders now own the 12th pick. We can trade with those bastards.

25. JDR says:

So anyone know what the Raiduhs got from Miami in the trade? Away from a TV currently and draft tracker doesn’t say.

The Fish best damn get Albert in a trade from KC, or their pk to move up and get Jordan will look completely asinine.

27. JDR says:

Browns up, do they take Geno or stick with Doopy Pantz for another year?

28. RTFirefly says:

HA! Beat you to it, Den.

29. RTFirefly says:

Mingo, Mongo, who cares? Is it the cable, or is Mr. Big Wind losing his voice?

30. JDR says:

And the Tards take… a guard.

Because they want to give Carson Palmer all the time he needs to fuck up and throw interceptions.

31. JDR says:

Do the Niners have enough to trade up and get Star? He’s still on the board…

32. Grumpy Guy says:

We have more than enough – if we can find someone willing to trade, and if we want him.

33. JDR says:

Ouch. They’re both gone. Wonder if Baalke sits back now and waits for one of the DBs to fall to 31.

Fuck. Baalke sat on his hands as both Star and Richardson went on by. Oh well…Floyd is still on the board, and we could still move up for Brenda.

And there goes Brenda to NO. Baalke can kiss my black ass. This draft sucks major pole up to this point. I need another drink.

We traded up to 18. Whazz up?

FUCK THIS SHIT!!!!!!! We traded UP to get Reid?

Did we fire Trent Baalke yet? Mook.

This is total motherfucking horseshit. I’m now speechless. Fuck Baalke and his first born male child.

• Flavor says:

haha, it’s nice too see you channeling your inner hate, Denny. Did your therapist tell you to do this?

Fuck you and the Giants for carrying three catchers. They DESERVE to lose every game with Quiroz still on the roster. Reid would have been available at 31. This was an awful pick. Period. The fact that Baalke moved up makes it criminal. Kill his first born male child. It worked for Ramesses in “The Ten Commandments.”

• Flavor says:

I see. Have a nice evening, Denny.

• He sez the same shit every year Flav. This is normal

39. Grumpy Guy says:

Only gave up our first and a third to move up. We still have 34 and 63. Good trade for us, I’d say.

I typically don’t like taking defensive players from dominant SEC teams because it’s tough to tell just how dominant a player is on a team full of dominant players.
    So I don’t like this pick but I reserve the right to be wrong since Baalke knows more that I do (and you, too).

FUCK!!! I am goddamn irate. That was goddamn pitiful what Baalke just pulled off. I’m now speechless. Fuck this shit.

I

AM

PISSED

• shaman138 says:

Settle down, Beavis.

• Alleykat says:

So Dennis…..Are you so pissed off you might want Alex back now.Uhh didn’t think so.Ballke always does a head-scratcher on us die-ha fans.That one with some raw kid named Aldon who??? WTF?????? turned out pretty Damm we’ll though.Reid lays heavy wood,very aggressive good size a ball-hawk.Like the pick we needed a big safety he fits that.

not sure this guy woulda been there at 31. Sounds to me like he has some terrific potential. Remember Goldson wasn’t all that when he first came up either,

Baalke hasn’t exactly blown my skirt up to this point. I think Reid was a bit of a reach although he got the better of Jerruh doing it. I wanted Reid but figured low 20′s for him, I did expect a big trade for Richardson. I thought getting 2 impact players using the ammo they had was how he would play it but again Baalke does the unexpected.

Happy Birthday Chuck!

46. JDR says:

It almost looks like they panicked after seeing their first few choices all get scooped up in succession and traded to make sure they got someone on the list.

Oh, sorry, wasn’t talking about the Reid pick. I was just copy/pasting the responses from 2011 when the Niners missed out on Andy Dalton and traded up to get that stiff from Nevada instead. Dumbass Baalke, like that move would ever pan out…

Here’s the Eric Reid analysis from the scouts at CBS Sports…

“He is a bit stiff in coverage and can be beaten by quicker slot receivers. Has been protected by some awfully talented cornerbacks throughout his career and wasn’t the playmaker in 2012 he had been the past two seasons with Claiborne and Mathieu no longer on the roster.

Compares To: LaRon Landry, FS, New York Jets — Reid signed with LSU patterning his game after the former Tigers’ standout and it shows in his physique and bone-jarring hits. Of concern to scouts is the fact that Reid, like Landry, is a bit stiff and not as fast on the field in deep coverage as he may test during workouts.”

He’s a hard hitter in a league now thanks to Commissioner Roger, that are no longer allowed. The NFL is now a patty-cake patty-cake baker’s man. Run wide open. Hitting hard is banned.

Fuck Roger and his efforts to make the game safe. It’s fucking football.
    “There Will Be Blood.”

Seriously. Do you guys give a rat’s ass if player X from team Y 20 years from now is a drooling vegetable that can no longer tie his own shoes?

Don’t lie. Of course you don’t. And neither do I. It’s a game. It’s entertainment. Entertain me.

• mailorderwife says:

My husband played for NC State until he blew out his knee. Once he graduated, the school had no responsibility for his medical condition. I, however, do. I understand entertainment, but not at the cost of such devastating injury. My husband is lucky that he only has terrible knee and shoulder problems, I suppose. But when you figure in encephalitis and ALS, that’s way too high a cost.

I am sorry if research and progression have altered your enjoyment of the sport. There’s a video online from a month ago of a hockey game in Switzerland, where one player rammed another player that was already sliding head first into the boards. Instant paralysis. That is NOT entertainment.

• mailorderwife says:

I worded that wrong up there. My husband does not suffer from either ALS or encephalitis, but there are enough football players out there who do. My apologies.

Couple surprising things. Floyd was there at 18 when the Niners traded up., and they didn’t take him.

I was right they’d trade up for a safety, I just didn’t think it’d be Reid.

2nd surprising thing is they could have gotten Cyprien without trading up. I like Cyprien over Reid becuase Reid reminds me too much of Goldson. We need a cover guy. not a hitter. We’re looking for a FREE safety, not a strong safety. Jesus, Dennis. you whine like a little bitch.

• JDR says:

Floyd is an inch taller than Sopoaga and 33 pounds lighter. He’s also said to be weak against the run. In other words, a guy who can get pushed back when lining up at NT. He seems to be much better-suited as a 4-3 tackle.

50. Berger says:

Happy B’Day unca!

51. Berger says:

This pick does not make sense because they traded up and reached. I like Reid but not for a 1st and 3rd. Eifert, Floyd, Trufant or Dartone Jones would have been good. I obviously don’t know as much as Baalke but it seems to me Reid or Cyprien would have been available at 31. I like Cyprien better than Reid. I sure hope i’m wrong.

Thanks for the b-day wishes, folks . . .

Had a great dinner, now it’s off to dessert . . .

53. Berger says:

I’m thinking it’s Jesse Williams or Ertz tomorrow with pick #2.

We are going DL for sure tomorrow. No TE at this point. Although Eiffell tower does look good. Shiot, he went at 21? Curious . . .Don;t think we need tio take Ertz this high.

Jeez you guys are friggin whiners. Reid was a very good player on a kick ass team in the toughest conference in the country. I’m giving Baalke some slack that he’s watched a few more miles of tape than you guys, plus the kid was tried out by the Niners. Plus, Harbaugh recruited him out of high school for Stanfoo, but lost out to LSU. Harbaugh knows what this kid can do, so unless the kid turns into another WR from Purdue, I’m down with the pick…

56. Chico says:

I’m fucking pissed. We could have traded some picks for Giorgio Tavecchio. Baalke blew it.

57. Chico says:

Niners: Based on what I’ve read here, on another college football blog I frequent, and another blog, most Niner fans are cool with the pick, while some say we reached a bit, and a couple are pissed.

Raiders: Most of their fans are pissed. Happy with the traded picks, just not THE pick.. They once again went for speed, and not skill – a Raiders tradition according to some of their fans.

58. barleyfreak says:

Sometimes people overrate…first round draft picks. It. Is. A. Crapshoot. Baalke has proven that he’ll move up to grab someone he wants, like Davis. At the time, many said he’d have been there had no trade been made. Maybe, but there were rumors that others (Dallas?) were eying him. Point is trading up 10-20 slots, is not that big a deal if you believe the player worthy. Waiting to see if maybe they’ll be there later seems stupid.

Make your assessment. Deal to get your guy. Pray it works out. Not a bad strategy because there are no givens.

I have no idea whether he works out or not. But I don’t fault the strategy. I hope I’m wrong, but I think they blew it with Jenkins last year. Right after they selected him though, it was too early to tell. Based on my paltry intel, I think Reid will be a solid pick. Could be great? Maybe. Could be a bust? Probably not. If you ask me for those odds on a draft pick, even in the first round, I’d take it every time.

• JDR says:

I’d also note that while first round picks are a crapshoot, third rounders are even more of one, the guy they would have taken with that pick might not have even made the roster (espcially with a team as deep as this. If you think a guy is the real deal, better to give up a mid-rounder to get him than to wait and take a guy you didn’t like as much and roll the dice on a probable special-teamer in the third.

Also, people who are already writing off last year’s class as a “bust” just because the rest of the team was so good (“but none of the rookies started! whaaa!”) are really missing the point about how well this team has been built.

59. barleyfreak says:

P.S. Happy B-day, fellow 1961er.

OK, quick survey. Check that. You don’t deserve to answer any of my questions. Why? I’ll tell you why…WE LOST THE FUCKING SUPER BOWL. That’s why. And now? We traded up to draft Eric Reid. Heeeeeeeee! You Motherless sons of fucks. So says meeeeeeeeee! I’m the same guy who feeds all the ducks. :D

There’s plenty of DLs available for the second round, now I’m leaning towards picking Ertz or Keenan Allen at 34, get that offense just really stuffed with some playmakers — then pick the DL at the back end of the 2nd round…

Have I mentioned my complete disdain for LSU? Pretty sure I have. I can’t stomach that school and its coach, Les Miles. This was a recent comment attributed to Les regarding their football schedule…

“Miles claims the fact that LSU has to play Florida as its cross-divisional rival puts the Tigers at an unfair disadvantage because it adds yet another tough game to an already daunting schedule.”

Yet another tough game on their schedule? Les must have missed the announcement when UAB, Kent St. and Furman was added to the LSU schedule this year. Les Miles and his Bayou Bengals are nothing but a bunch of cowardly pussies. And now we traded up to draft one.

Bless me Father for I have sinned. It’s been a looooooooong time since my last confession.

Yeah for me not since high school. That was the 60′s folks. Chuck only 52? He’s still a kid to me.

This just in: I still want Alex Smith dead.

Bad fish dinner keeping me up.
    Dallas bloggers heavily bashing JJones for not getting enough out of the Niners for the 18th pick. I take that as a good sign; but on the other hand, CBoy fans bash him incessantly anyway, for good reason…

There’s 2 sides to that, Snarkk. But still and all, the Niners are in a much better position to deal fo r what they want than most other teams.

New thread is up.