Still No Larry Grant Signing

Among all the other free agent 49ers out there, there sure doesn’t seem to be a rush to sign them. Tavares Gooden, special teams LB, Leonard Davis, the solid O lineman who served as the back up and FB at times, and Larry Grant are all still unsigned. Tramaine Brock just signed his RFA tender.

Grant is the most curious as he had an outstanding few games filling in for Patrick Willis in 2011, but had very little playing time last year. he provides depth, if anything, and he shouldn’t be too expensive, and no one is jumping anyway, so sign him. You have to wonder about Davis as well. He performed well when asked to, and a few false starts notwithstanding, provided needed depth.

About these ads

75 Responses to Still No Larry Grant Signing

Trying to be the GM, Chuck? How about a beer? The Giants suck in brewtown.

Still no Larry Grant signing. Meanwhile, Lou Grant, Mary and the crew at WJM continue to laugh uncontrollably over the untimely death of Chuckles the Clown.

3. Berger says:

Get well Del, and then buy a chair with arm rests to keep you in it, like a recliner!

I’ll assume we won’t be a player for Tavon Austin in this derby but….
    Guys like Josh Boyce and Kenny Stills wouldn’t be terrible consolation options in the slot for us as WR weapons.
    Counting down the days now….Should be fun pickins

I sure hope we don’t reach for a WR in the 1st, that’s for sure. Dennis is right about that. There are bigger needs that we all now about (FS, DL) that would take precedence over a WR. I have TE, filling Walker’s spot, as a bigger need than WR.

You typing one-handed now, Dennis? You should be used to that by now . . .

7. RTFirefly says:

Chuck, you may wish to check the Niners 2012 record in the right hand column (oops).
    Our QBOTF in for Pro Day this afternoon… I predicted Nate the Great II would be drafted by the Niners. AP is suggesting merely a camp invite. We’ll see.

11-4-1 reg season, 2-1 in the playoffs. 13-5-1.

Nate ain’t gonna make the pros by any stretch of the imagination.

9. Berger says:

So is Windermoonman the same as Winder Greg Minton?

Always wanted an invisible plane . . .

Baalke was interviewed and he said they were in best player available mode. Then he said we obviously have needs to address. In other words, smoke and mirrors.

Looks like Vernon Davis and others have some ‘splainin to do regarding an Investment Scam.
    Say it ain’t so……

• NoFear49er says:

$18M??!! Hardly worth talking about is it? Funny how these guys thought they could get 25% on their money from the guy selling genuine Rolexes out of his trunk. After all, they’re much smarter than all those fools that got Madoff’ed.

Crazy-assed world we live in huh NoFear49er?

I still wonder how and when the SEC finds time to get anything constructive done.
        No one complains when those dividend checks arrive.

So long as they keep coming.

I wish I was on the payroll. Damn those kids are lucky.

Doh! Stupid shit, but really, the only ‘splaining these guys need to do is to their wives/girlfriends for all the money they just pissed away.

15. RTFirefly says:

Only 139 more shopping days before the Raven@Broncos.

The NFL has to be secretly grinning like The Cheshire Cat knowing that millions of fans are sitting on pins and needles with the anticipation of the soon-to-be released new schedule. Not a game, a schedule. Not the draft, a schedule. We’re not even talkin’ bout an Allen Iverson practice. We’re talkin’ bout a schedule. Fish on!

• RTFirefly says:

Hope you’re feeling better, Dennis!
      The last time the Niners played the NFC South (2010), they went 0-4. Let’s hope for better out of this schedule (NFL gets confused and they play the East again?).

17. RTFirefly says:

I’ll take a shot – Falcons@Niners opener.

18. RTFirefly says:

Oh, so close. It’s The Pack@Niners.

Here’s our full schedule here. Best beat the Pack Week 1 or we’ll be 0-2 after visiting Seattle.

Posted the schedule on the right side. Tough early, sorta easier later. 10 wins looks like a tough chore.

Shit. I’ll change those to Pacific time

Is this beginning to be a traditional opener with Green Bay? Somebody educate me as to why the Niners and Pack seem to play every year. Is it because by rule since they were playoff participants, or random or for ratings?…

• NoFear49er says:

You have to play the other teams in your conference that finished in the same place as you in their division(Packers/Redskins), besides the divisions in the normal rotation (AFC/NFC South and your division rivals twice each).

At least it’s here, and not in Green Bay

• snarkk says:

Agreed, and I like the competitive games. I just don’t understand the frequency of playing this particular non-divisional team. Niners don’t seem to play any other non-divisional opponent as often that is outside the normal divisional schedule rotations, unless I’m delusional, and that’s always a possibility…

• RTFirefly says:

Just the luck of the draw, really. The scheduling is based on the rotation among the divisions + the divisional standing of each team.
        The NFL has milked it to the hilt, of course. They had 3 of 4 games IIRC in Green Bay when the guidelines specifically state alternating venues.
        Moreover, the Pack and the Niners are storied franchises.
        When the NFL and the networks get a chance, they take it.

I’m really intrigued by the MNF lineup – problems with the network contract? Crap, crap, and more crap. Then there’s the Raiders… Can’t wait.

Snarkk thinking……thinking….

The MNF schedule is underwhelming to say the least. The Sunday night game is the “it” game. Has been for a few years now. Their lineup is head and shoulders above what Monday has to offer. NBC is stacked with nothing but heavy hitters in their lineup. It’s a ’27 Yankees redux.

25. Grumpy Guy says:

Second year in a row our bye week falls exactly in the middle of the schedule. 8 before, 8 after.

Kinda of a disadvantage to have that bye wek early. I think GB’s is in week 5.

Here’s the answer as to why Larry Grant is still unsigned… Grant has been suspended the first 4 games of 2013 regular season for violating NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.

I don’t mind cheaters, I encourage it actually, but I abhor dummies who get caught. Next!

When did that happen, Dennis?

When did what happen? If you’re referring to the Larry Grant news, I reported it right after it was released by the NFL media yesterday afternoon. If you’re referring to me being sober, as Nipper surmises, that must have happened in a parallel universe. “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….”

Where the hell is everyone? Did you all get sucked in by a massive black hole?
    That’s too easy of a joke for me, I’ll let someone else hit that one off the tee if they so choose.

I think everyone is numb with Draft anticipation Del.
      Lord knows the world is captivated with the goings on between Revis and the TB Bucs.

Can hardly wait to hear what Revis had for dinner.

How great would it be if he fails the physical?

I think the Revis trade could very well work out in our favor. The Jets already have the 9th overall and they need more picks. Trading pick 13 to the Niners for 31 and 34 would land them two more potential blue chippers. And I think the Jets would be much more willing trading to SF than TB would. And IF the Niners are targeting Richardson from Missouri, they need to get to 13. Cause he sure in the hell won’t slide by CAR at 14.

All that said, when we play TB with Revis added to their secondary it’s going to be harder to win that game now.

Could happen Del. I’m sure Baalke has his moves calculated.
        As for playing TB, you run on them.
        IMO they’ve handcuffed themselves by tying up all that money in the Secondary.

They’re out to stop the passing game in a Division that doesn’t run at all.

I respect the heck out of Revis…. When he’s healthy.
        He’s not 100%

I’ve always bought into the philosophy that an ACL is a 2 year injury.
        AP in MN is just a freak of a physical specimen.
        Not many, if any, have done what he was able to do.

30. RTFirefly says:

“I been sitting around for the last hour trying to figure out what to say to the Jet Nation & I came up with this,” Revis wrote on Twitter. “The six years I played for the New York Jets were unbelievable. I put my body on the line everyday & did everything could to help the team win. I experienced a lot & & learned a lot. The memories I had in New York I will keep dearly to my heart.

“I want to thank all the jets fans for making me feel welcome.”

A class act all the way. I wish him the best for 15 of his 16 games this year.

As for the Pets? WHERE IS TEBOW AND WHY ISN’T HE STARTING?

31. rtfirefly2 says:

I’d loooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvve to see the Pets draft Geno. LOLOL – Sanchez and he BOTH ahead of Tim Terrific? Revis gone, Geno in?
    It’s so much fun following the Jets. They turn incompetence from an art into a science.

The bulk of the problems encountered in NY was due to Ex GM Tannenbaum.
    He was basically clueless.I truly wonder what sort if Scouting Dept they employed too.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians?

Who knows?
    Quite entertaining in a lurid sorta football way.

I always envisioned a Draft Board in front of a Poo Flinging Monkey in the War Room.

34. RTFirefly says:

Gangrene is such an appropriate name for their fanbase. You’d have to be deathly ill to follow them hoping they’ll ever win.

Good friend of mine has been, and still is, a lifelong NYJ Fan.
      As he puts it, they’re on the 100 Year Plan.

Have to give him his props of course.
      He’s loyal.
      Sick to death, but loyal non the less.

nonetheless of course…..

• RTFirefly says:

Kinda like rooting for the Giants and Niners cerca ’74-’77.
        Still, even then I sensed brains in their organizations although chaos.
        Banging one’s head against the proverbial fan wall year after year could, if not treated properly, lead to Cubbie syndrome.

No doubt.
        Gotta feel for Cleveland too, in that regard.

Stairway to Cleveland indeed. I think they are still in recovery mode from the Policy/Clark debacle in the early 2000s.

1972 to 1980 were the Dark Ages of Bay Area sports. The Dubs had their miracle run in 1975, but other than that, fleeting glimpses of good surrounded by crap.

nEW thread is up . . . . . .