Well, this is down time. Unless you enjoyed A) the Giants getting their World Series Championship rings, raise the chamipnship banner, and see Buster get his hardware (NL MVP and Silver Sluggger awards (yay!)), and then B) watching St Louis crush them 14-3 on their way to taking 2 of 3 in the Giants home-opening series (ha ha, StL still blew the NLCS. Giants are the defending champs!).
Anyhow, most of the free agants have ben unfreed, moves have been moved, the player shuffles have been shuffled, and new coaching staffs have conveniently installed their scapegoats for the upcoming season. The draft is the next big event on the horizon. As usual, the consensus is that there’s no consensus regarding the 49ers. People have the Niners trading up for a bona fide safety lock in Brenda Vaccaro, trading up for a stud DT in say, Sheldon Richardson or Sylvester Williams; trading out of the 1st round (not sure why unless we get players); or merely waiting to see who’s left as the draft progresses, and still pick up guys like DT Margus Hunt and S Jonathan Cyprien. Dark horses like WR Keenan Allen from Cal get bandied about, as well as TEs like Zach Ertz and Tyler Eifert. The Niners ertainly have flexibility with these 2 picks so close to eachother, and teams despeate for someone could easily give the Niners an additional pick close to their spot anyway, and get their guy plus a pick. Curiouser and curiouser.
Frankly, I have no clue. I’ve been fairly good at figuring out needs at least, but I sure didn’t pick the last 2 first rounders in Aldon Smith and AJ Jenkins. 2010 was easy as the Niners NEEDED O line help at all costs, and drafted 2 guys (almost) back to back in Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati. I think trading back is out (5% chance), trading up is about a 20% chance, and standing pat to wait and see what is available is likely (75%) their strategy. Who they get at 31 and 34 is a mystery as well, but those 2 I mention above are likely. If not those guys, then guys that are in those positions. The farther down we go, the harder it gets to even guess as to what they do.
That all being said, I think the Niners go:
31 – S (Cyprien) – Big guy, hybrid like Baalke digs
34 – DL (Magnus Von Magnus) – Big, fast, physical, 26 tho
63 – CB (Blidi Wreh-Wilson) – Tall tough corner. Fast.
74 – WR (Da’Rick Rogers) – Big, strong, hard to tackle
93 – DE (Cornelius Washington) – Long lanky under-the-radar guy. Sound familiar?
128 – C (Brian Schwenke) – Schwing! Cal guy. Center.
131 – S (Honey Badger) – If he’s here, he’s worth the risk.
157 – RB (Lattimore) – Why not? Much like Frank Gore, a health risk that paid off greatly. He can wait on the bench a season.