The Quarterback Shuffle

Well, the beat goes on. Starting with Alex Smith and the Kansas City Chefs, the quarterback shuffle is still rumbling around the nascent 2013 NFL football calendar. Word out of the desert is the AZ Cardinals, apparently desperate for anything remotely resembling an NFL quarterback, traded for (!) the services of one Carson Palmer. You know, the guy who took the Raiders to the stellar 4-12  record, and he of the 4,000 yards, and 22/14 TDs to INTs (with 7 fumbles thrown in). Actually, his numbers aren’t as bad as I thought. But still, those numbers look to fall dramatically with the Cards being much less good at pass pro than even the Raiders.

Kevin Kolb, the mega-paid future-great-has-been did his own shuffle off to Buffalo. I guess we’ll find out if the AZ climate was detrimental for QB health and he flourishes in the cold confines of northern New York, or if his suckiness follows him like a warm breeze off the desert. So, in retaliation for losing Palmer, the Oakland Prince Valiants have apparently traded for the services of Matt Flynn. He of the miniscule-starts-but-gaudy-numbers ilk (hello Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassell, etc.).

Matt Cassell, another one of the great-backups-on playoff-teams-that-flamed-out-as-the-prospective-savior-somewhere-else, was of course replaced by blog-vortex himself, Alex Smith. Cassell led the Chefs to the playoffs at least before sliding into inconsistency and nediocrity. With Smith in, Cassell has signed with Minnesota to nominally back up Mr Christian Ponder, another inconsistent young QB. Baffling, as both are the same guy, really. Chase Daniel, Drew Brees’ ex-backup in the big easy, will now back up Alex.

Ryan Fiztpatrick, of Buffalo Bills (in)fame(y), put up pretty good numbers but was deemed expendable as they didn’t think he was the “future of the team” QB. Hence the Kolb deal. Fitzpatrick meanwhile is going to the Titans to provide mentoring for yet another inconsistent young QB in Jake Locker. Locker also has the propensity to get hurt, so Fitz will get some Starts, more than likely.  Locker of course is at his own make-or-break stage, so they could very well go through this again next year.

Other moves? Well, Philly still hasn’t named a starter, but the competition between Mutt Vick and now Dennis Dixon (he of new HC Chip Kelly-Oregon fame), looks to be pretty much a one-sided dog fight, with Vick winning. Ex-Niner Josh Johnson signed with the Bengals to back up Ginger.

This looks to be the last of the QB shuffle, and we haven’t even reached the draft. The Jets and Cleveland have been eerily quiet unless you count the Jets signing David Garrard as anything more than a hope and a prayer), but  they are the last of the teams I picked in January to be in the hunt for a QB. There have been a lot of back up moves, but who really cares that Gradkowski is backing up Big Worthlessberger, or that Matt Hasselbeck is now backing up Andrew Luck?

I don’t. But when does Tim Tebow get cut from the Jets?

About these ads

59 Responses to The Quarterback Shuffle

Word is now that Hot-Tub Matt Leinart is heading off to Seattle. Maybe the Raiders can get Tebow now.

Aaron Dobson ran a 4.2 at his pro day. Here’s my new mock…..

31st – LSU Safety – Eric “Don’t call me Ed, don’t call me Lou,” Reid.
    34th – Purdue DT – Kawaan Short – Dominated at the Senior Bowl.
    62nd – Marshall WR – Aaron Dobson (6’3″ – just ran a 4.2) Moving up fast.
    3rd – Rutgers CB – Logan Ryan (II’m still looking at CBs but this kid has potential).
    3rd – WR / PR – Ace Sanders (Ace is the place for ass rockets).
    4th- Michigan State TE – Dion Sims (Can block and catch…. kinda slow).
    4th- Gamecocks RB, Lattimore – Doubt he falls this far, even with the knee injury With all the 2nd and 3rd round talent out there, I wouldn’t draft Lattimore in the 3rd. For that matter, I wouldn’t draft any RB until the 4th.
    5th – Arizona QB – Matt Scott

Nnamdi? Fuck no. Cruz? No thank you. Draft! Draft! Draft!

From teh point of view of the front office, maybe they feel betrayed by AJ. Maybe they don’t want to try and draft a guy and have it fail again. I don’t know.

I think 31 IS too high a pick to trade, but I understand why they are looking at the options available. They ended up in the playoffs the last two years with the cupboad bare at WR. BUT, they need to shore up the defense (DL, FS) before even considering WRs.

Trading 31 would be ill-advised, but they did get Bouldin for a 6. Give ‘em a 3, a 5, and a 7.

Nnamdi won;t fint under the cap, so that’s out. Thank God.

5. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Victor Cruz article is a bogus April Fool joke.
    New Jersy Post doesn’t exist.
    What should tip you off is author is Ken Dorsey and all the tabs for the New Jersey Post do not work.
    Spitblood is stupid enough to treat it as fact and spread it.
    Spitblood has experience spreading chain mail.

Here’s some BREAKING NEWS in the quarterback shuffle…

The Niners just obtained Colt McCoy from the Browns for a “late round pick.”
    This according to Jason La Canfora.

I’d still draft Matt Scott in the 5th. Four qbs in camp like last year… McCoy and Tolzien will be a great qb competition this summer….

8. Alleykat says:

Yeah I will take Colt McCoy as our backup.Kid is smart, throws for accuracy .Vet who can handle the pressure. Especially for a low round pick..

9. JDR says:

Colt McCoy? THE FUCK?

Is this a thing for Harbaugh? Can’t have a roster without a disappointing tweener QB to reclaim?

• Spitblood says:

McCoy might be the perfect backup. He’s got a ton of moxie. You’ll like him. Give him a chance. A few years ago we had Alex Smith, David Carr and Troy Smith. Now we have Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien and Colt McCoy. What a difference a coach makes. Give Colt a chance!

• JDR says:

Dude lost his job. In Cleveland. To a guy whose nickname is “Doopy Pantz”. I’d rather have Tolzien.

Niners get Colt and their 6th for our 5th and 7th picks.

Lol… I’m not saying he’s Montana. But think about it – He was a stud at Texas. Holmgren loved him because of his heart. He’s brought into Cleveland to run a WCO. They dump Holmgren, then Shurmur…. new regime brings in Weeden…. now they’re looking else where…. again. Forget losing his job – everyone in Cleveland loses their jobs. The owner doesn’t have a clue – at least until now (I like Norv and DC Horton Heat). Colt doesn’t really have the arm strength to throw the deep outs, but with a smart coaching staff, Colt can be a life long backup in the NFL and win you games. I like the pickup… especially for a seventh rounder.

Yeah. like I said, and you refuted, Spit (heh heh), the Niners got a vet QB to back up Kappy . . .

• Spitblood says:

21 starts? you consider that a veteran? Lol. I don’t think that word means what you think it means…

Waaah! You always whine this much, bitch? He’s a back up. This’ll be his 4th year in the league.

How many starts did Fred Dean have?

• Spitblood says:

When you talk “Veteran” qb you’re talking a guy like Trent Dilfer who comes in and mentors a young Colin Kaepernick. You’re talking about a guy who can break down defenses on the sidelines and tell the younger starter what he’s seeing. A second or third coach so to speak. That’s not Colt McCoy….. and you know it. You can cry, wiggle and moan like a girl, but you weren’t right. Colt McCoy has a lot of learning to do, and in some ways he’s a project that Harbaugh can develop and possibly even trade later on. I like the move. You”ve always been full of sheep dip.

Here’s the trade per Barrows: The 49ers get Colt McCoy and Cleveland’s 6th round pick. the Browns get a 7th and a 5th from SF. (49ers move back 9 spots from 5th to 6th).

I’ve always liked the kid. Moxie is a good word to describe him, Spit. You can add winner to that as well. Second most wins in Div I only to Moore from Boise St. Colt doesn’t possess the most athletic skills, but he knows how to use what God gave ‘em.

I’ve got no problem with Colt. As long as he’s relegated to mop-up duty.

I bet what happened is that the 49ers were offering a 7th, then the Browns called Seattle after the Flynn move and Seattle said, “Heck yes we want Colt.” Then the Niners threw in a 5th and asked for a 6th.

• Spitblood says:

I think the 49ers kind of overpaid for Colt. I’m certain the Seahawks raised the price on the 49ers. Right now, the Seahawks have a second year starter in Russell Wilson and that’s about it. Who is the Seattle backup? I’m okay with the 49ers paying a 5th and a 7th, but Colt better have his head on straight from day one….. and the 49ers now better NOT use a 5th on Matt Scott…. Our 3 qbs are set for the year.

• JDR says:

What’s the difference between Cleveland’s 6th and the Niners’ 5th? Like six or seven spots? They more or less got McCoy for a 7th rounder, which is pretty much where you’re taking practice squad fodder anyways.

• Spitblood says:

I hope you’re right. Comes down to draft day. Who’s on the board when Cleveland picks in the 5th? Hope we don’t lose someone we like. T Brown was a 5th….

• JDR says:

If they’re losing their man in the 7th they’ve already fucked up three or four times. That they stumbled upon good player late doesn’t mean they planned it that way. You think they wouldn’t have taken Brown in the 3rd had they known?

• Spitblood says:

I see your point but some players are projects with a lot of upside you aren’t ready to start or even play a limited role for a year or two. There’s a corner at LSU (can’t remember his name right off), who has a great deal of talent and the size, but I wouldn’t let him touch the field this year. It’s guys like that. But in general, you’re right. In general 5th through 7th suck. But checkout the video I posted below showing Colt running and throwing on the run. I think you’ll like Colt McCoy as time goes on. I think Colt’s worth the 5th and 7th…. with a 6th in return.

• JDR says:

You mean “Honey Badger” Mathieu? They’d have to pick between him and Lattimore with their 3rd, in my entirely uneducated and useless opinion. If there are project players you want, you take them in the 3-4 rounds. It would be a pretty fair amount of luck if the project player they wanted with their late 5th was between then and Cleveland’s early 6th.

• Spitblood says:

No…. it’s not the Honey Badger…. I’ll look him up….

• Spitblood says:

This guy….. Tharold Simon. I think he’s somewhere in between a 5th or 6th round pick. Right now, I wouldn’t let him touch the field. He needs his technique torn down and rebuilt. But he’s lengthy and can defend the pass well … and he likes contact. But he’s not for man coverage for a few years. But it really doesn’t matter because the more I look at Colt in college, the more I see why Harbaalke liked him. I think Colt’s a steal.

• Spitblood says:

I think you find your projects in rounds 5-7. 1-4 should start or at least be role players. Look at Culliver and Kendal Hunter.

Now we’re down to 13 picks. We need to lose 6 more now. I don’t want more than 7 able-bodied rookies coming in this year. And out of those 7, give me 5 that will make a contribution this season. Last year we had ONE.

Becasue our roster has some players already.

• Spitblood says:

I want ten to make the roster, and five to immediately contribute.

And one more thing I read today…. AJ Jenkins came into Santa Clara for a workout pre draft. Didn’t the Niners see Jenkins was out of shape then?

One pick in the 5th, 3 in the 6th and 3 in the 7th. Reminds me of a joke. Why is Italy shaped like a boot? Because they couldn’t fit all that shit in a shoe. Package up all the 6th and 7th rounders and trade ‘em for a trip to Christmas Island to do some bone fishing.

More fodder for V and Spitty.

Flynn garners a 5th round pick (and a conditional for next year) for Seattle. Not very much, but the Raiders get a brand new start (again and again and again).

At least the Raiders now won’t have to waste their 3rd overall on Geno Smith. They can nab Floyd from Florida and start to rebuilt their depleted DL.

Too bad Colt doesn’t have an arm like Clayton Kershaw, he’d be a perennial All-Pro.
    Cy Young decides to be Babe Ruth today. Fucking Dodgers. Serves the Giants right for carrying three catchers on the rosters. That ranks right below carrying 13 pitchers and ranks below the Mother of all mistakes — signing Craig Dahl to be your starting safety.

Did I miss the Giants signing Alex Smith to be in their bullpen? Fucking sucks today.

Duck the Fodgers!

This is interesting. Colt McCoy ran the read option in college. He didn’t run it much, but he ran it. Watch this entire video. Colt is more athletic that you might think. He’s accurate inside the numbers, too. He can also run AND throw on the run. This guy could be a steal. He doesn’t have a rocket arm, but he’s got everything else. Nice work Harbaalke!

Wow, something more inane than your posts, Spitty. 7.5 minutes of inane video.

I kid, I kid.

DHB signs with Indy…

Ooooh. At least my mom was clean. Yer mom draws flies.

Interesting . . . Bullitt posted the same McCoy video on Skeebers site as you did here.

Coinkydink? I think not. Thou doth protest too much about who Bullitt is. He’s you! THAT’S why you whine about it so much!

Outed with a capital OUT. Bwahahahahahaha! What a maroon!

In more exciting news, Red Skelton was cut by the Cards. Maybe the Jets have found their new heir apparent

New thread is up . . .