Seattle Slews the Offseason

Much as I hate to admit it, and and good as the 49ers are before the upcoming draft, Seattle is doing a a lot to strengthen their own ship after their near-epic playoff comeback vs Atlanta last year. They’ve already added Percy Harvin, albeit at a heavy cost (Sea’s 1st pick, 25th overall, a 7th round pick, and a 3rd round pick next year) for a possible prima-donna and they added two of the more coveted pass rushers out there in Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett. In other words, not nearly as much thrash around their roster as there is around the Niners, and they helped themselves out pretty well. The only hitch being the loss of draft picks GM John Schnieder loves so much. Seattle still has 8 picks in the draft, but may be looking to add some picks very sooon.

Word now out of Seattle is that they are looking at offers for Matt Flynn, the $20 million backup who was signed to be the starter, but was passed like a Pinto in the slow lane by Russell Wilson, the rookie phenom out of Wisconsin. The suitors for Matt’s fairly unproven services would likely be Jacksonville, Oakland, NYJ, and Buffalo. Jax must be the most enticing for Seattle as Jax has the 3rd overall pick in the upcoming draft, and has high picks in every round. Oakland can’t offer shit as they traded every pick in the foreseeable future for Carson Palmer and Terrelle whatshisface Pryor. Palmer doesn’t want to restructure his ludicrous deal, so the Raiders may just cut his ass.  The Jets are in ‘anyone-but-Sanchez’ mode, so they could pull the trigger on a deal, salary cap hell notwithstanding. Buff? They recently jettisoned Ryan Fitzpatrick and need someone.

You have to wonder how desperate a team like Jacksonville would be to sign a QB. They are in a situation much like KC was with Alex. They saw a guy who they think is worthy, and took their shot. Whether Jax would give up a 1st round choice (too much, I’d think) to sign  a guy who has a very small track record remains to be seen, but I’m sure Seattle wouldn’t mind getting something like the Niners got for Alex.  A 2nd round pick and a 4th, or something for next year.

For what this is all worth, it at least extends the long-standing competition between Jim (what, me worry?) Harbaugh and Pistol Pete Carroll.  These guys have been adversaries since their Pac-10 days, and this feud looks to be front and center in the NFL landscape for years to come. 2013 certainly should be an entertaining one from a football standpoint. The Niners and Seahawks looks to be the newest baddest rivalry going.

About these ads

85 Responses to Seattle Slews the Offseason

chirp chirp chirp . . .

The Raiders are buried pretty deep in dead cap money this year anyway trying to trim the fat and rebuild. Some big guys that’ll work cheap and they can afford a high pick or two. They just need to start drafting with some common sense applied.

“passed like a Pinto in the slow lane” was pretty good.

There’s still some free agent talent out there. A.) I usually hate free agents. B.) I don’t know how much money we have left under the cap for free agents and draft picks.

But here are some interesting ideas…… DT Sedrick Ellis was a beast at USC and a first round draft choice who didn’t stick with the Saints. What about pairing him with Glenn Dorsey and seeing if those two together can rejuvenate their careers? Ellis and Dorsey replacing RJF and Ice? Could be a motivated pair.

There are a bunch of talented free agent tight ends out there: Fred Davis, Dennis Pitta, Dallas Clark and Kevin Boss? All of those guys can catch better than Welanie Dalker.

Wide receivers available are guys like Josh Cribbs, Laurent Robinson and Mohammed Massaquoi.

Peyton Hillis might be a nice trip down memory lane for Jim Harbaugh, maybe evoking thoughts of Toby Gerhart slamming the rock up inside and catching crafty passes out of the backfield.

Other available guys who could help along the D line are guys like Ty Warren, Alan Branch, Tommy Kelly, and even Casey Hampton.

I’m not thrilled about the safeties who are left in Jarius Byrd and Kerry Rhodes, but it might help Del sleep better at night.

The longer these guys sit on the market, the cheaper they get. I could see Harbaalke having an eye on one or two of these guys, hoping their prices soften while being scared to death of having to do a farewell salute on Youtube like double A. Ya never know….

Both Tommy Kelly and Sedrick Ellis are really interesting to me. Both have California connections that could mean a free agent discount to the 49ers, and both could help along the interior of the D line. Tommy Kelly signed a huge contract with Al Davis he never played up to, and I’m always, like Nnamdi, skeptical of guys who make big money and then still keep playing. It’s almost like they have too much to lose. And Tommy Kelly might blowup our locker room. But I could also envision a scenario where, like Randy Moss, Kelly comes to SF to win a Super Bowl and sees what it’s like to play for a professional football team. I can still remember Tommy Kelly interviews where he just complained about his team not trying. That’s good and bad – the frustration of wanting to win is good, but the inability to keep his mouth shut is no bueno.

Sedrick Ellis, for my money, isn’t as good, but he’s better in the locker room. What would you rather have? More upside in a much older Kelly, but a guy who’s a pain in the neck and already got paid? Or another Glenn Dorsey in Sedrick Ellis who’s still trying to prove he’s not a first round bust?

I could see the 49ers continuing to strengthen their D line in free agency and then using defensive draft picks on secondary players. Cullen Jenkins was expensive. But now, after the spending sprees are over, teams don’t have much cap room so guys like Kelly and Ellis won’t see big paydays. They’ll be lucky to make 3 million a year. But Ellis has something Kelly doesn’t – a brain. Ellis isn’t a guy to jump off sides or get taken out of his game emotionally. I just see more upside with Sedrick Ellis. Younger, smarter, from a winning organization, with something still to prove.

I called the Glenn Dorsey signing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 49ers had Sedrick Ellis in for a look in the next few weeks.

• JDR says:

The whole operation in Oakland is so screwed up that I’m not sure I’d hold anything the players say against them. If a guy is a malcontent with the Raiders it could just mean that he’s a sane human being.

I think they are done with the line FA wise, Spitty. They obviously hold Ian Williams in high regard. Well, who knows? I seriously doubt Tommy Kelly though. Major underachiever. Major fuckup. I still think they pick up Sensabaugh or Rhodes before they do anything on the D line. The rest of the guys you mention (Hillis, Cribs, et al) ain’t gonna happen.

Cleveland could very well trade for Flynn as well. Another desperate team searching for a QB.

Wow, talk is Carson Palmer may be destined for AZ. What a Godsend that would be. Got to wonder if they get into the Flynn mix. I forgot about them.

Barkley looked fine throwing to guys in shorts, but shit, I can do that passably well. Or I could 30 years ago . . .

Shit, I figured the title alone woulf get Dennis out of his stupor.

8. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

Last week you were saying the only way to go was to build through the draft. You said the Forty Niners would draft 14 players and 12-14 would make the team. Now this week you’re pushing Free Agents? Really? It seems you just try to take all sides just to be right.
    You also asked this question ” the 49ers are reluctant to sign players to long term deal. When was the last time a player on the 49ers signed a five or six year deal?”
    Seven current Forty Niners have 6 year or longer contracts and five more with 5 year contracts.
    I ask you again do you have a clue on what you’re talking about or just like to dispense bullshit by the bucketload?

Spitty, the Niners have roughly $6 mill in salary and $6 mill in bonus/guaranteed money to pay for the rookies this year. We currently have $4.5 mill in cap room. Not a lot by any means. Which is why they are looking to extend Bouldin to ease the cap hit.

10. Alleykat says:

Tavon Austin to visit the 49ers pre-draft.Could see them using some of their ammo(5 picks high) to move up and grab him.They still need that dynamic. speed reciever who you can use out of both the slot,spread him out,or out of the backfield,throw in a Punt Returner as well.Dude is so versatile I’m sure Kap is licking his chops to add him as a deep threat.

Austin is damn near top 10. At worst top 15. If he’s around at 12, they may go for it. But I’d hate to see the Niners lose their 31st or 34th picks. He may be too costly.

Might as well wait to see if Keenan Allen falls to us.

• Chico says:

I don’t know how Keenan did in the workouts, but after watching him play every game of his college career, he’s definitely not a burner.. he’s got great hands, but doesn’t have that breakaway speed. He’s tough as nails though.

12. Grumpy Guy says:

If we go top ten or twelve, I would rather do it for the safety Vacarro or a top DL guy. There is only a small chance that we will move up that far. Somewhere around 20-25 seems more likely to me. Targeting one of the second group of DLs or Reid maybe?

IIRC, picks 31 and 34 *could* move us all the way to pk 11. That according to that NFL Draft Pick Value Chart thingamajiggy.

Correction. PK 13. PKs 31 and 34 = 1,150 pts. PK 13 = 1,150. Don’t know if that chart is a hard and fast rule, or more like a Pirates of the Caribbean guideline.

Seattle Slew by Bold Reasoning out of My Charmer. I can still vividly see the Slew streaking down the Churchill stretch to win the ’77 Derby. I was watching it on TV over at my grandma’s house. I bought a Seattle Slew ball cap many years ago. I’ve sweat in that thing so much that it’s now harder than one of his horseshoes.

Pat White? Surely you can’t be serious. Vanna White has better form and technique. Probably a stronger arm as well. You would too if you turned all those letters for all those years. How old is Vanna? She has to be AARP material by now. Buy a vowel? She needs to buy a time machine and set it back 25 years.

14. JDR says:

It’s too bad you went and banned the V-Tard, Chuck. His rants on Matt Flynn were pretty hilarious and this would have been a good chance to wind the turd up again.

Yeah, Chuck….. you should consider that. Let him in to drive him crazy, then ban him again. Who’s the more ruthless? It’s not like we have a lot to write about right now….

Sorry, Spitty but you get to be the resident lunatic. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Keenan was hurt for the workouts andhis pro day at Cal. That’s why he may fall to the bottom of the 1st round. Speed burner or not, he gets separation. Jerry Rice speed. Think he’d be a great outside WR provided he heals up.

The Raiders are doing right now what the Jets should be doing. I like what McKenzie is doing. Is it McKenzie?…. you know….. the black Irish dude with freckles who Madden recommended who came over from the Packers who used to play in the NFL and is now the Raiders’ GM? He’s dumping an older, ineffective, cancerous roster with an overpaid qb and telling that qb he won’t get paid X amount and that he’s either cut or restructured. He’s gutting the team and finding cheap alternatives. Why will Carson Palmer either do it or retire? Because he has no other options. He doesn’t want to be a backup. Carson Palmer and Mark Sanchez couldn’t start anywhere else. The Raiders have it right. The Jets?….. well…….

• Spitblood says:

And forget the guaranteed money in Sanchez’s contract talk. You cut him and eat the entire thing if he won’t restructure. That’s the right approach.

• JDR says:

GMs in general don’t like to make their teams worse in order to prove a point. The Jets seem to be under the impression, misguided as it may be, that they’re only a piece or two away from contention and eating Sanchez’s salary would cost them other players who they need. The Raiders are basically in a complete teardown mode. They know they’ll suck next year with or without Palmer and don’t have a lot of other guys they need to re-up or free agents they want to bring in. The smart thing for McKenzie to do would be to pull a Baalke and get a draft pick or two out of it. Lord knows the Raiders could use more picks.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

“Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that the Jets would swallow a $17.1 million cap charge if they released Sanchez. So they’d essentially have to pay Sanchez to be a quality starter and eat a salary-cap equivalent to an elite starter. And they’d get nothing in return”
        Think it’s that easy to eat $17 million?

• Spitblood says:

JDR – “GMs in general don’t like to make their teams worse to prove a point.” I think this is the biggest myth that teams and even GMs don’t understand. You don’t gut your team to prove a point. You gut your team to change its culture. In some, if not most cases, the team needs a new head coach to go along with hitting the reset button. McKenzie (I don’t even know right off if that’s his name), did this. Izod (GM in New York …. refuse to look up names tonight) didn’t dump Rex this year probably at Woody’s request. But either way, you bring in a new GM, new head coach, dump your older guys, play younger guys and see who sticks while getting higher draft choices who really care about the game of football. You think half the Raider team cared? I don’t.

The first order of business is getting a bunch of guys on the team who are passionate about football. This is one thing Mike Nolan and Scot McCloughan, despite all their blunders (challenging field goals and drafting Balmer) did correctly. They found guys like Frank Gore who just loved football with all their hearts. I don’t believe even Carson Palmer really is playing for the love of the game. I think he’s collecting a paycheck.

So, gut the team. Don’t be afraid to suck, not to prove a point, but because it’s necessary to start the rebuilding process. And also, don’t be afraid to call it a rebuild. So many teams are now afraid that if they don’t claim they’re going to win the Super Bowl that the fans will walk away. The fans know. The players know. You aren’t foolin’ anyone. The Jets aren’t foolin’ anyone. Show me one knowledgeable Jets fan that thinks the Jets are going to win the Super Bowl.

And regarding Mark Sanchez and his contract – what if the Jets are serious about Sanchez competing for a job and he loses his job? Then you have a 17 million dollar backup. What’s the difference between a 17 million dollar backup and eating 17 million dollars? Not much. Does it make it that much easier for you to swallow? Man up. Being an owner or GM isn’t easy. GMs get paid to make the tough choices. I guarantee you one thing – If the Jets made that tough choice to dump and eat Sanchez’s contract, there would be a lot of Jets’ fans out their that completely respected that move.

Interesting Sando article about the myth of the run-option QB and how often the Niners run it.

Much less than I thought. (5.7% after Kappy took over).

19. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

The Flynn trade talk is being generated by his agent. Last year the Miami Dolphins had a shot at Flynn as a unrestricted free agent. His offensive coordinator at Green Bay now Head Coach Joe Philbin decided to pass and drafted a rookie to start
    The defensive coordinator of the Seahawks who is now head coach of the Jaguars, Gus Bradley just also said they were not interested and would pass.
    That should tell you Flynn is not a long term solution to any quarterback problems your team might have. Flynn was drafted in the seventh round for a reason.

TT, there are a lot of teams hurting at QB who would be willing to take a shot. Last year, the Dolphins coulda had Alex Smith for a song.

The problem with your dissertation, spitty, is any team is close. Parity (suck it, V) is alive and well. ANY team is close. Wash gets rgiii and they hit the playoffs. The Niners get a new coach and they are the cream of the crop.

Foe all the suckiness of the Jets, maybe a new QB gets them over the top. They dealt with more than their share of injuries. The raiders.? Yeah, they need to burn it all down and start over. But they are in a much worse position than even the jets.

• Spitblood says:

Wrong. The Jets, Raiders, Panthers, Jaguars and Bills aren’t five players away from winning the Super Bowl. Close, in my opinion, is five contributors away with simultaneous coaching and drafting magic. Those teams are more like 7-10 players away, and numerous front office and coaching acquisitions away. That’s the equivalent of five years easy, if they by chance get it right. Maybe is a couple key guys in free agency (risky), and three years to draft and develop, but I’ll give you long odds that the Jets, Raiders, Panthers, Jaguars and Bills aren’t winning the Super Bowl in the next four years. Wanna take my bet? You’re 100% wrong that ANY team is close.

• Spitblood says:

* Chuck only. 100-1 odds on a dollar. I’ll gladly take your dollar. 4 years – Jets, Raiders, Panthers, Jaguars and Bills don’t win the Super Bowl by 2016.

• Spitblood says:

It took the 49ers (at the start of their rebuilding process in 2005) 8 years, three different coaches, three GMs and six years of high draft choices to get to the Super Bowl, and they still haven’t won the Super Bowl. I’d start thinkin’ about re-evaluating your claim that “ANY” team is close. It’s a long road.

Flynns sitting on a $20 mill contract, TT. Why would his agent want him traded? He likely won’t get more money.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

One year left on Flynn’s deal and only $6 million in 2014 which is not guaranteed.
      If I was his agent Matt Flynn only enhances his value if he’s a starter and that is accomplished when a team trades some assets to obtain him..
      If I’m looking for a job as a backup then I’ll get paid like Jason Campbell who signed for $1.5 million per season or Josh Johnson who just signed for only $715,000.
      If Flynn sits on the Seattle bench and holds a clipboard these are the salaries he can look forward to. That is why his agent is marketing him.

Well, maybe not any team. The raiders aren’t winning in 50 years. But for all that shit you just posted, you said, as well as plenty of others, that the Niners were 3 years away from contending back on 1/1/11. The perception was the FO was a mess of too much middle management and shitty communication. I certainly had my concerns about the FO even when harbaugh got here.

• Spitblood says:

I disagree with that point as well. Jim Harbaugh turned this team around quicker than anyone else could have – or thought possible – hence his Coach of the Year award.
      Before Jim even got here, though, like I wrote earlier, the team started its rebuilding process six years prior.

There are a lot of teams out there that aren’t in contention right now and won’t be for years – Panthers, Jets, Bills, Jaguars, Raiders, Bears, Cowboys, Chargers, Steelers, and Titans aren’t winning the Super Bowl or even going to a Super Bowl in the next five years and it’s because they don’t do what I wrote about earlier – tear it down and rebuild from scratch. They don’t because they’re afraid they won’t sell out their stadiums. Gotta bite the bullet. So far I’m a fan of what McKenzie’s doing.

And I’ll say this…… The Raiders, because of what McKenzie is doing, would be my first choice to see return to contending out of all the teams I just listed – including the Steelers.

Sando comes up with some good stuff sometimes. My concern with too much read option is the practice time it takes away from “real plays” and how relatively simple it is to defend when the defense has had a chance to prepare for it.

What we really need to get the edge in close/tough games and post season battles are a handful of plays that we can run in our sleep and know that they will work. Like Grimm and Jacoby running the counter trey.

Well, that’s the point.RUnning something 5-6% of the time isn’t really taking away from anything else.

26. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

The rebuilding process all depends on the damage the previous Front Office put on your team.
    Terry Donahue, Al Davis and Mike Tannenbaum sold the cow for the magic beans which turned out to be pebbles.
    Spitblood makes his usual bullshit argument showing once again he knows nothing.
    The Colts went from a 2 win team in 2011 to 11 wins and the playoffs in 2012.
    Same with the Vikings who won 3 games in 2011 and were a playoff team in 2012 winning 10 games.
    A couple of teams will surprise in this coming season.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

I forgot to mention the Redskins who went from 5 wins in 2011 to 10 wins and a playoff berth in 2012. The pattern is there that a couple of teams surprise every season and you are deluded thinking this is not possible.

Right, Spitty. Nolan started the rebuilding process. Sure he did. But it stalled. Sing couldn’t right it as well. 6 years isn’t rebuilding. 6 years is fucking up wildly. Both those guys did a little with a lot. Nolan had a tougher task, sure, but his 3 year plan was on schedule until Smith got hurt, and Nolan couldn’t get out of his own way, and he lost the team. Sing followed suit. Lots of people knew the Niners were underachieving. I certainly did. My point was the front office was a mess during the Sing years. I also said (repeatedly) that the team was Sing’s. Not Baalke’s (or McLoughan’s). Same with Nolan. They ran off his mojo for good or bad. And bad it was.

Same thing with Harbaugh. His drive has made the entire team and front office look like genuises. Nothing really changed anywhere on the team but at the HC spot in 2011. I was on record saying they could win a playoff game in 2011. Not too many people outside the bay area felt that way. I didn’t think the change was going to be as dramatic as it was, but certainly the team had talent whan Harbaugh came. Spit, you wanted to blow it up back then. Where would we be? Well, starting year 3 of harbaugh’s rebuilding. The NFL model isn’t to rebuild. Unless you are in horrible shape. As the Jets and Raiders are. Look at the Chiefs. They are coming off a 2-14 season, but they are in pretty good shape. Good young players, new coach in Andy Reid, and new QB Alex Smith. They sucked ass last year, but they are poised to be a possible 10-6 playoff team.

Jesus H. Christ will make his triumphant return before Alex Smith leads the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and the playoffs.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Del Mar Dennis
        You might be in for a rude awakening.
        Kansas City sent 6 players to the Pro Bowl.
        The number two rusher in the NFL Jamaal Charles was hurt in 2012.
        Playoffs are a possibility.

Bullit, me going to bed with Kate Upton tonight is a “possibility.” It ain’t happening, but it’s a possibility. Same with Alex Smith leading the Chiefs to 10-6 and the playoffs this year. But it’s a possibility.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Del Mar Dennis

Aren’t you the fella that guaranteed a Super Bowl for the Denver Broncoswhen they signed Peyton Manning? So where was Denver? They sure weren’t at the Superdome.
        Your track record on predictions frankly sucks.

• Spitblood says:

Del – What’s the “H” stand for in Jesus H. Christ? Is it Howard?

• NoFear49er says:

• rob says:

chuck , at that point a trained monkey with a dart board on draft day could have started our rebuilding process ! the good news is that nolan/sing kept us picking in the top 10 – 15 with a team that could have gone 10-6 ! we got to add tons of talent and circumvent the system ! so thanks john york and mike nolan ! lol

• In hindsight this is crystal clear but at the time it was crazy making insane as it unfolded! I cursed Nolan, Sing not to mention Donohugh with the best of us.

There’s a very good chance that the Raider’s top two QBs next year are Terrelle Pryor and Geno Smith. That thought alone is enough to make a Raider fan go crucify themselves on this Good Friday. Hell. They might as well bring in Barabbas to run the scout team. At least he’s demonstrated some escapability in the past.

29. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Since 2000 the Oakland Raiders have had eight different coaches.
    That’s a lot of changes meaning coaching staffs last less than 2 years.
    With that much change no business or organization can hope to succeed because you are constantly plagued by losing and a culture of failure.
    It takes time to put winning plans and procedures into motion.
    I often wondered why the Raiders made their kicker and punter the highest paid in the NFL?
    Losing seemed to cloud the judgement of the front office as did senility.

30. JDR says:

Spit- Ran out of reply spots so I’ll be a jerk and start a whole new thread for a response. Regarding the Raiduhs, their cleanup is going to be far more extensive than just the roster. From what I’ve heard the whole culture of the organization, down to the office staff and scouting, was/is riddled with incompetence and apathy from the Undead Al era of the last few years. MacKenzie needs to completely clean house, and Palmer is just a very small piece of that.
    As for Sanchez, I thought the $17m wasn’t his salary this year but what the team would have had to absorb against the cap with penalties they’d incur for cutting him this offseason. His salary next year would be less, and I believe the cap hit after next season for cutting him would go down as his guaranteed money was more front-loaded.

• Spitblood says:

I really don’t know about Sanchez’s contract. I thought I read that none of it’s guaranteed next year, but can’t remember.

Regarding the Raiders, I agree. Then need to completely clean house. But they are doing that. And that little kid who clearly partied too much with the bowl cut, I think his name is Mark Davis (?), he’s looking like he’s smart enough to listen to Madden and let McKenzie just do his thing. What’s cool so far about McKenzie is that he isn’t draconian with his changes, but he knows they have to be made. I’d be surprised if McKenzie thought he had the qb of the future on the roster, or if McKenzie drafted a qb this year. I think it’s a reduced Palmer with Pryor (who I’ve always been curious about) as the backup. But I don’t know if the Raiders have a good qb coach, or if they even have a good OC. Time will tell. But yeah, they need to completely change the culture of the entire organization from top to bottom.

Regarding my list above, the Steelers might be smart enough right now to dump and clean up and start fresh. They have dumped Harrison, Mendenhall and Casey Hampton. The Steelers are a smart organization so I might take them off my list as a team that won’t bite the bullet.

At least when you go to bed tonight you can thank fate or whatever you’re not an Oakland Raider.

Unca – The Chiefs are interesting. They are a team much like the 49ers a few years back when the found Jim Harbaugh. Look at their coaches: Herm Edwards, Todd Haley, Romeo Crennel. Reminds me of Nolan and Singletary with a team constantly drafting top ten. Say what you want about Carl Peterson and Scott Pioli, but they could draft. The Chiefs have talent, and they also have a weak division. The Raiders and Charges suck. So the Chiefs could make a bounce and be close, and I’m sure you would point the “worst to first,” as evidence any team, any given year can win it all. But you have to consider that the Chiefs have had bad coaches with good talent evaluators. That together with a weak division and the Chiefs could make some noise. Problem is, Andy Reid isn’t the same coach he was in Philly. He’s making bad decisions lately and he’s trying to win now instead of taking a slower growth approach. The right move with the Chiefs organization would have been to keep Cassel and continue to build the team with a slower growth trend upwards until the team was truly ready to compete for Super Bowls. There were cheaper options out there as stepping stone qbs. Cassel and Alex Smith are stepping stone qbs who won’t win you a Super Bowl, but will manage the game for you. Smith is better than Cassel, but is Smith two 2nd round draft choices better? I say no. I say the Chiefs would have been better off sticking with Cassel (or picking up a guy like Kyle Orton or Matt Moore), accepting they won’t win it all this year, and looking to develop a Super Bowl qb when there was one in the draft. Anyway you cut it, though, Baalke made a smart move with the “other” compensation pick because the Chiefs have a lot of talent and the Chiefs could see a huge bounce from worst to wild card this year….. if they play that wild card right. Let’s hope they do because it means a higher pick for us. Let’s go, Chiefs!

33. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

Just noticed your dumbass daily comment this time involving the Carolina Panthers.
    Not going to contend for a Super Bowl in the next 4 years?
    Panthers finished tied for second in their division with 7 wins.
    They have Cam Newton at quarterback and 2 decent running backs and talent at WR in Steve Smith.
    Panthers have the NFL defensive rookie of the year in Luke Kuechly.
    They need defensive backfield help with their secondary.
    You have no clue how decent the Panthers can be, do you?

The Raiders are looking to dump Carson Palmer and possibly trade for Matt Flynn. That’s another smart McZenian move – especially if he can trade Palmer to the Cards for picks! We all remember Flynn as the dude who threw bomb after bomb to Packer receivers against the Lions in Lambeau and made himself millions, but there’s more to Flynn. My only question about Flynn to the Raiders is who the hell is he going to throw the football to? The Raiders haven’t had a tight end since the ghost to the post. They always seemed to have a million different receivers who would have one big game then disappear forever. Chaz, DHB, Ford, Joan Jett…. now it’s Denarius Moore. They do also have Juron Criner. It would be interesting to see the Raiders get Flynn, then bring in a complete tight end for Flynn to throw to and for another additional guy to block for McFadden. Noble concept. The Raiders are doing it right.

35. rob says:

right CHUCK seattle really helped themselves this offseason ! the other team that has really done a good job so far is atlanta ! they might be a bigger challenge than seattle ! the other contender to our throne , the rams , not so much ! losing their main man in game against us steven jackson will hurt them bigtime ! i predict we sweep the rams (and arizona) and split with seattle to win the division again ! atlanta might have just one achilles heal ! defensive coordinator ‘mr. conservative’ mike nolan ! i hope we can stay ahead of them ! home field advantage could be crucial this time !

• Spitblood says:

I wouldn’t overlook the Rams. It was a smart move getting rid of an older veteran who’s always hurt. Steven Jackson is a beast…… when healthy. Trouble is the team can’t rely on him because he’s injured all the time. Jeff Fisher made the right move to dump him and go young to find some young, hungry “play hurt” consistency at the position. This division will certainly be tougher next year. Ten years of NFC West easy street, five years of beat the holy living hell outta one another.

• rob says:

fisher is doing a good job and will be hard to beat no doubt ! i just think we’re to far ahead of them right now ! steven jackson used would pick them up on his shoulders and single handedly carry them in games against us o lot of times ! it will be extremely hard to replace that factor when they play us imo

• Spitblood says:

I agree. Jackson was a beast, and he did single handedly carry them. But Fisher knows how win without super stars on offense. I think the loss of Danny Amendola hurts them more. I look for the Rams to draft a few running backs, and maybe a few late round receivers that Fisher and Bradford can turn into C list receivers like Fisher had in Tennessee. Kerry Collins, Vince Young and Steve McNair didn’t have much to work with under Fisher, but Fisher still made it work by playing smart football. Think of all the guys offensive guys Fisher has had over the years. Mason, Brit, Washington, Johnson, Bo Scaffe? I’m sure there’s more I can’t remember right now. That’s not a lot of offensive talent, and yet his teams always compete.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

Fisher had no offensive weapons?
      Derrick Mason had 8 1000 yard seasons and an equal amount of years catching more than 80 receptions and was an All Pro.
      You forgot Eddie George and all his huge 1200 yard plus seasons dominating the AFC for almost a decade..

The rams are the least of the Niner worries. They,ll have some growing pains themselves. They look to struggle a bit without Amendola and Jackson. Maybe they get going by the end of the year, but they look to have another tough schedule like they did last year.

• Spitblood says:

I’d say the Cardinals are the least of our worries, but don’t sleep on Bruce Arians either. Bruce was who I was advocating the Niners hire when the Singletary disaster was going full throttle. Ya, yes. The good ole’ days. The firing or movement of Dennis O’Donnell. Micheal Lewis, Glenn Coffee, Balmer….. just up and leaving. Takeo Spikes saying there’s a rat in the building, and then Singletary going off about Jimmy Raye’s “years in the league,” as the only evidence Raye knew what he was doing. Please, let me look at the tape and laugh once again. Remember when Singletary had the team march into Seattle, arms locked, military style and then Seattle kicked Singletary’s military mouse trap all over the state of Washington? Troy Smith starting in London? Looking back now, those we some good time. But I digress.

Bruce Arians: Before I knew Harbaugh wanted to move to the NFL, I was advocating Bruce Arians as our head coach. He did wonders with the Colts last year, and the Steelers (his team before) weren’t the same last year without him. Arians can coach. Unfortunately for Bruce, he’s walking right into the middle of an NFC West Armageddon, and Bruce is holding a shovel. Jeff Fisher has a loaded drone and he’s up in the hills waiting to ambush us like he did last year. And he’s smart. Carroll and Harbaugh have the nukes. And “what’s your deal,” could escalate into Charleton Heston on the beach crying, “You animals! You blew it up!”

And Chuck – I didn’t forget about Eddie George and Derick Mason. Both guys were B list stars in my mind. Some could argue they were more, but Fisher has never won with an amazingly potent offense. He almost beat the “Greatest Show on Turf” in the Super Bowl playing good, sound football.

Fisher, Arians, Harbaugh and Carroll vs Mora, Singletary, Whizzerhurts and Linderhanderhanderman. “Toto: We’re not in Kansas anymore.”

37. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

In the past when playing the Rams Iit was a whole lot easier when Stephen Jackson and Danny Amendola didn’t play
    You are deluding yourself to think that Isaiah Pead and Chris Givens are upgrades because they’re younger. Jackson and Amendola was 60% of the Ram offense.
    But Spitblood thought 2013 was time to trade Frank Gore and Justin Smith for Revis and Spitblood thought the New York Jets would be where Alex Smith would wind up.

I had this truly astonishing and unforgettable experience this morning. I thought I’d share it with you…

I was driving up the street to the liquor store to get a 12-pack of Bud when the Easter Bunny came hopping across the middle of the road. I swerved to avoid hitting the Bunny, but unfortunately the rabbit jumped in front of my car and was unavoidably hit. His basket of eggs and candy went flying all over the place.

Being the sensitive man as well as the big animal lover that I am, I pulled over to the side of the road, got out of my car to see what had become of the Bunny carrying the basket. But much to my dismay, the colorful Bunny was dead. I felt guilty and began to cry.

A woman driving down the same street saw me crying on the side of the road and pulled over. She stepped out of her car and asked me what was wrong. I feel terrible, I accidentally hit the Easter Bunny and killed it. There may not be an Easter because of me. What should I do?
    The woman told me not to worry. She knew exactly what to do. She went to her car trunk, and pulled out a spray can. She walked over to the limp, dead Bunny, and sprayed the entire contents of the can onto the little furry animal.

Miraculously the Easter Bunny came to back life, jumped up, picked up the spilled eggs and candy, waved its paw at the two of us and hopped on down the road. 25 yards later the Easter Bunny stopped, turned around, and waved at us again. The Bunny hopped on down the road another 50 yards, turned, and waved some more. The Bunny continued to hop and wave on down the road.

I was completely astonished. I asked the woman what in heaven’s name is in your spray can? What was it that you sprayed on the Easter Bunny? The woman turned the can around so that I could read the label. It said: “Hair spray. Restores life to dead hair. Adds permanent wave.”

Happy Easter

Gawd, Spitty. Don’t you get tired of typing drivel? At least Dennis is humorous at times.

You should be so lucky, skippy. Thanks, Had a nice rabbit stew.. . .

41. Alleykat says:

Raiders get Matt Flynn..2 picks later rounds in 2014-2015 draft..Palmer heading to Arizona,that’s a lock for 2 wins for the Niners!!!!

I really hope this is just an attempt by the 49ers to mess with the Giants. I hope they are trying to raise the price on Cruz. Because if the 49ers think Cruz is worth 8 million per year and our 31st, giving the team a second wide receiver they’re paying over 6 million a year for, and they restructure other players….. that’s shifting the payroll emphasis from defense to offense in too big of a way if you ask me. I want the 49ers, under Roman and Harbaugh, to shift a little more money towards offense, but just a little. Make those two offensive minded coaches win with less like Walsh used to do. Keep the money on defense.

The article says the 49ers are looking to pay Cruz 8 million a year and give up their first round pick this year – in 2013. If the 49ers do that, they are stupid. But, this is a New Jersey paper reporting this. It could just be a game. 8 million a year and a first rounder for Cruz and I’m becoming a Raider fan. They did just pickup my boy, Matt Flynn….. and Mac’s cleanin’ house like a boss…..

The article says the 49ers are currently 4.5 million under the cap. I’d rather the 49ers either brought in more defensive line talent like Sedrick Ellis or brought in a cheap TE like Kevin Boss, then used the rest to pay our current players more now, not take money out of their pockets by mortgaging via restructure like Jerry Jones just did with his entire football team. Just as a general rule of thumb – if you’re doing the same thing Jerry Jones is doing, you’re doing it wrong.

This kid is a projected 3rd rounder. I’d rather have Aaron Dobson in the 3rd at wr…. at 3rd rounder money…. and give current players on the roster more money.

Holy crap…. I just read this. Marshal WR Aaron Dobson did not run at the combine. But he did run at his pro day and he ran a 4.2. That’s huge. Aaron Dobson is a 6′ 3″. Reminds me of another Marshall guy….. Unfortunately, if the 49ers did like him, he just got more expensive. He was projected as a 3rd rounder…. I could see him now becoming a second rounder. That shifts things up a bit. Might have to re-work my mock…

I honestly think the Chicago Bears brought in Marc Trestman to help insure the first overall pick in 2014. And I’m not kidding.

My psilly days are long past, Spitty. You should cut down on altering your reality.

New thread is up . . .

My new mock with Aaron Dobson moving up.

31st – LSU Safety – Eric “Don’t call me Ed, don’t call me Lou,” Reid.
    34th – Purdue DT – Kawaan Short Dominated at the Senior Bowl.
    62nd – Marshall WR – Aaron Dobson (6’3″ – just ran a 4.2) Moving up fast.
    3rd – Rutgers CB – Logan Ryan (still looking at CBs but this kid has potential).
    3rd – WR / PR – Ace Sanders (Ace is the place for ass rockets).
    4th- Michigan State TE – Dion Sims (Can block and catch…. kinda slow).
    4th- Gamecocks RB, Lattimore – Doubt he falls this far, even with the knee injury With all the 2nd and 3rd round talent out there, I wouldn’t draft Lattimore in the 3rd. For that matter, I wouldn’t draft any RB until the 4th.
    5th – Arizona QB – Matt Scott

Nnamdi? Fuck no. Cruz? No thank you. Draft! Draft! Draft!