Parts is Parts

So, far the Niners are losing guys faster than they are gaining them, but there’s not much fretting yet. Goldson is finally able to put food on the table for his family by signing a $41 mill deal with Tampa, Walker signed with the Tit’ns, Soap to the Iggles, RJF to the Dolts (3/$22 mill? Dorsey’s a deal as the swap).  The guys apparently on the radar are Nnamdi Asomoaga (?) LaRon Landry, Charles Woodson, and Ed Reed. They are likely going to get one of these guys to replace Goldson, so Landry? He’s the youngest. I don’t know.

Louis Delmas is coming to town, but I’m not sure the Niners are ready to back up the truck for him. He’s a stud, though he’s injured too much. It would be a risk, but Reed and Woodson are old, Landry is another health risk, but could be had for relatively cheap. Sensabaugh’s better in coverage than Goldson, Bernard Pollard of the Ravens is Goldson’s clone.

I guess I’d cross my fingers and go with Delmas. He’s great in coverage. And I just found out Landry’s gone. So, Delmas it is.

BTW, nuckfut’s been banned.

About these ads

212 Responses to Parts is Parts

That’s the thing I’ve been preaching. We are losing players fast, but that’s the plan with 14 picks. It makes sense to stay young and put pressure on the position coaches to get players game ready faster. We showed the ability to do just that AND compete in 2012, and really, I thought we were the best team in football in 2012 with one huge hole.

Soap? RJF? Goldson? Moss? Walker? Smith? I’m fine with that being our off season leakage. We’ve already upgrade Moss with Boldin, restructured Manningham, upgraded Soap with Dorsey and have brought in a special teams ace. The only holes we have are safety and backup DT. I’m not buyin’ that there will be a drop off from Delanie to Celek and whichever TE we draft to place stone hands.

I really don’t want to see the 49ers bring in a high priced veteran safety. I’d love to see the 49ers start a rookie safety. What’s not to like about that? Blown coverages? Make him grow up early.

• barleyfreak says:

“The only holes we have are safety and backup DT.”

I’d add WR to that, particularly stretch the field with speed type. That’s not Crabs, or Boldin. MM — who knows what he’ll be like after he returns from his knee op. Or when. KW — similar ? AJ? Again, you can’t exactly depend on him. Until someone’s playing that role, it’s a hole. They’ll still draft DL/OLB/S or CB with their first 3 picks, but a WR comes in round 3-5.

Chuck, you’re a real hit and run artist. All you’ve *ever* done is regurgitate someone else’s bullshit, whether it’s politics or football. You’re a spineless clueless popularist, that’s it. So STFU about parroting Fox, that’s what passes as the big idea for you?

Who wants to win the argument by shutting off all dissenting opinions? You and the liberal nutcases. Your standards and ideas are so good they can’t stand scrutiny?

I still have to laugh that you have to ban FlyingV to win an argument with him. For the first year of this blog all you did was talk about V and what he wrote on the insider. You’re pitiful.

3. Chico says:

I dunno, if I ran a blog and someone started commenting on my blog with that kind of hate speech they’d be banned in a second. That was some pretty nasty stuff. Remember, the free speech movement took place in our own backyard.

• NoFear49er says:

You mean banning V? I wouldn’t stand for it either. But then, I wouldn’t stand for a lot that goes on here. Chuck started this blog to ban V. The old-timers know it, He’s just living the dream now.

4. Alleykat says:

Delmas doesn’t much excite me Chuck.Knee issues have held him back,what 19the games last 2years?Pass,wait for the draft on Safety’s plenty of talent there.
    CB a different story.Namdi could and easily bounce back to his former self and be a steal.Philadelphia played way to much zone coverage while he was there and he is more a 1on 1 corner.

Another very underrated FA, Patriots CB Aqib Talib would be a solid fit.He has,great size 6’1 205 only 27 and already has 19 INT.Kid can play.Plus anytime we can stick it to Bill Bellicheat and grab one of his better players is always a cigar& cocktail moment. 49ers need to bring him in for tryout IMO.

5. Grumpy Guy says:

I only want a vet safety IF we kick the useless Donte Whitner to the curb. Because someone has to call the coverages, and having two rookie safeties back there is asking for trouble. We should start one rookie and have a second learning as a backup. So what it boils down to for me is, I’d rather have Reed or Woodson for one year, than Whitner for even one more game. I posted Whitner’s QB rating in coverage for anyone who needs a statistical argument – IIRC it was around 120. Reed or Woodson in a wheelchair would not be at 120. Whitner simply cannot cover any more.

I would NOT sign one of them to replace Goldson, and keep Whitner. One rookie should start. By 2014 or 2015 at the latest, both young safeties should be starting.

And I’m very skeptical about Nnamdi, whose game went away when he got his money. Screw that. If we get a younger CB who still has upside potential, that could be different. The glut of DBs could drive the price down as we get closer to the draft, too. A bargain situation is always worth considering. But I would not overpay for anyone. We’ve got enough paydays looming down the line to worry about, without plunging into cap hell early.

I’m with Spit on this one (but if he just got banned then I guess I stand alone). I don’t want any more FA signings. Maybe a safety but I’d really rather the Niners just focused on sound moves via the draft. After Seattle got Harvin, we got Boldin and now it feels like an arm’s race between the US and USSR.

• Grumpy Guy says:

No, it wasn’t Spit who got banned – for once, there was someone even crazier on the blog. :) Check out the last thread, it’s full blown dementia craptastic!

7. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Back to the age old question of the NFL Draft being a crapshoot. Some college players don’t take well to the NFL. It’s not as simple as plug in and play.
    The history of the Forty Niners shows success has been bolstered by signing a free agent that put them over the top.
    Russ Francis, Charle Young, Freddie Solomon, Fred Dean, Gary Big Hands Johnson, Hacksaw Reynolds, Dwight Hicks, Ken Norton Jr., Tim McDonald, Brent Jones, Wendell Tyler, Garrison Hearst, Larry Allen and Deion.
    Striking a balance and finding players with ready to play skills gets you into the playoffs.
    I’ll take Anthony Davis in year 3 over the rookie Anthony Davis who as a rookie was lost and had 5 mistakes or penalties every game that were killers.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

If you start just 3 rookies you better expect they make 3 to 5 rookie mistakes each each per game.
      Is your team good enough to overcome that?

Victor Cruz? A first and ? Niners 1st is low value but still a first.

Victor Cruz? We’re not holding a DWTS competition.
      Waltz! Foxtrot! Tango!

I can’t imagine a bigger impact player this season coming from the draft and he is far better than Mario even when he was healthy. If the cash wasn’t to bad why not?

too

10. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

One of your favorite can’t miss acquisitions Kevin Kolb was kicked to the curb.
    Following Whitehurst and soon Flynn and Locker.
    FlyingV expelled so you are safe as the biggest moron tool on the blog.
    He was giving you a run for your money with his filibusters.

New rules voted on by owners next week. Here’s a brilliant one Goodell will likely push:

“It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside of the tackle box. Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.”

Next year we outlaw all helmet contact and bring out the flag belts and skirts?

The owners are pretty happy with the money they credit Goodell with bringing them.

Yeah some skirts for sure!

• Grumpy Guy says:

The owners are scared to death of the lawyers circling them in the water like, yes, sharks. The league has massive exposure now because of the media coverage of head injuries, concussions and even dementia in former players. It’s all about the money.

Now I don’t see how you can do what they are doing here – running backs have been taught since Pop Warner to lower their heads, and now they have to keep them up?

• NoFear49er says:

“The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.”

• JDR says:

It’s definitely about money, both the investments in contracts and the liability to the league. But players shouldn’t be taught at any level to lead with the crown of the helmet as it leaves you prone to catastrophic neck injuries. Ever notice how virtually every clip you see of an athlete getting paralyzed comes from a blow to the top of the head? Most good coaches tell the players that they should be able to look at what they hit and tackle a guy by putting your facemask between the numbers of his jersey.

• Spitblood says:

I really don’t see how the NFL doesn’t have a disclosure form…. albeit 7,000 pages long, that the players have to sign that protects them against lawsuits. If I die from cancer from chewing Copenhagen my family isn’t going to sue because of disclosures. I know what I’m doing.

Flav, Greg Johynson (aka FlyingV68) was banned. Spitty stopped being a major asshole. He’s been busted down to seargent.

You at least make some semblance of sense NoFear, however 50s-based your reality is. Yeah, I banned V because he wrote the same nonsensical bullshit over and over, endlessly. And I couldn’t control the blog on blospot. I know you think like him, you just couch it better. The deal is how do you win an argument with someone who doesn’t believe in facts? Sadly, you fall prey to this. You set everyone up as being Al Gore, and ridicule the farthest left-leaning ideas as if I and every other democrat fall in line with them. Truthiness. Bloviation. Bullshit. Your idea of discourse is to call anyone left-leaning a socialist. Middle-of-the-road? Commie. On and on. New put-downs are in order. At least something better than the usual Fox lead-in, skippy.

Kind of like when how you vanished for 18 weeks of the 2011 season as Alex Smith played well and conveniently returned crowing his crappiness only after the Niners lost the NFCCG. Mighy ballsy of you to wait. Really chickenshit. Your problem, NoFear, is you blame everything on everyone around you, yet complain when people do things about those problems.

The reason I think you are a parrot, NoFear, is your argument is that anyone to the left of Grover Norquist is a Com-symp bleeding heart liberal pussy. You bring nothing to the table but finger pointing and complaints. Everything you say rings of Fox bullshit and malapropism. Like I said yesterday (and i don;t want to get into politics here) it doesn’t really fucking matter who is in office. Left or right, Congress lines their pockets with money, and we worker bees bang our heads against the prevailing sentiment of what the party in power endlessly promises to do. It’s a game of shadows that 90% of the popluation isn’t a part of. We are merely the means to their end.

Sorry bout the rant, but NoFear, if you don’t like the way I run my blog, leave. Don’t waste my time with your whining. Boo hoo. Lots of people here have dissenting opinions. Tha fact you can’t see them is a testament to your obliviousness to the world around you.

14. Grumpy Guy says:

Chuck, to be fair, the left tilts at conservative strawmen all the time. They see everyone to the right of Hillary as baby-eating racist homophobic gun nuts. Carefully avoiding more rational arguments about the sustainability of long term deficit spending, or the need to make choices when faced with physical limits, or how the Bill of Rights is increasingly under attack by this administration, or the need for people to understand their choices in life create much of their fate. So both sides serve up the three-card monty shit, in jumbo steamy piles. Which is why I hate both of them at this point. Like I said, lots of lamp posts need ornaments.

That’s all fine and dandy. And they are baby-eating racist gun nuts. Problem is, a lot of Dems like their guns as well. And the Dems in the House likes their money too.

I’m simply replying to NoFear’s take on things. I don’t espouse 2/3 of the democrat agenda but since I lean to the left, NoFear can only counter with his naive talking points of ‘socialist’ and media puppet. For all the good Obamacare is supposedly going to do, all it has done is given the motherloving insurance companies free reign to jack up rates endlessly.

This is my biggest problem with the whole system. There’s too much money walking the halls of Congress. Red, blue, black, white, red, yellow, or tangerine (hello. Mr. Boehner), they are all sucking at the teat of corporate sponsorship. Which is why I laugh so hard at NoFear’s simpleton view of America.

• Spitblood says:

Grump – I agree that both sides are bought, and both sides are insane with spin and political rhetoric. But what I don’t agree with you about are the facts. Republicans for a long time denied global warming because they wanted to sell more oil. Now global warming is accepted by all. Republicans also were against gay marriage, but somehow now it’s more acceptable? They were wrong about the civil issue of gay rights. In addition to being wrong about gay rights and global warming, Republicans were also at the heart of the financial meltdown. Go ask those Wall Street CEO’s what parties they’re affiliated with. It’s estimated 1 – 10 Wall Street CEOs are Democrats. The fight to re-allocate wealth to the upper class spiked under Ronald Reagan but Reagan’s spike was nothing compared to George Bush’s spike. So in my view, yes, both sides are corrupt and moronic, but Democrats are the lesser of the two evils right now.

Grump, I was going to mention that. EVERY RB is taught to lower their head when hitting the hole. If you want to get more yards, lower your head and drive the defender backwards.

Tacklers are taught to get lower than the guy in front of you. The only way to do that is lower your head. The ‘heads up’ chant that is supposedly being taught in pop warner now is either not really happening, or catching on very slowly. There isn’t going to be a quick solution to these kinds of hits. Flagging abd penalizing this stuff is only going to slow the game down with more penalties.

16. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Flying V made a lot of assumptions on this blog taking liberties towards bigotry.
    Sees the name Chico and jumps to the conclusion he’s of Hispanic origin and starts on a rant against “his kind”.
    It really doesn’t matter but isn’t Chico a city in California?
    Pure stupidity and ignorance on the part of Flying V.
    Chico handled himself honorably with class.
    Because Colin Kaepernick has tats he’s a thug? Again Flying V bigoted flamebait.
    Rob Gronkowski anyone? http://tinyurl.com/aqwpuvd

AK, as injury-prone as Delmas is, Aqib Talib is a major fucking head-case. He makes Pacman Jones look like Little Orphan Annie. Resisting arrest, assault and battery, and fighing with teammates are but a few of his transgressions. HE dosn’t have any tats though. The hope would be Delmas stays healthy.

Nevermind. Delmas re-signed with the Lions.

My biggest fear at this point is entering the season with Whitner and a rookie as the safeties. They need to bring someone in to replace Whitner. He’s good at calling the defenses, but he’s such a liability in coverage.

Chuck, it’s not about right and wrong. And you thinking you’re the only one with a handle on clarity is juvenile at best.

It’s about differing views of the world. I don’t want the same things you do and the things I place a high value on you don’t. You screaming about Fox News or that you know it all isn’t going to have any effect on my perspective.

I’m arguing POVs and you call me out personally, that’s what liberal wackos do, ad hominem arguments is what they bring. It’s what you’ve always brought and FlyingV is better at it than you.

We elect representatives to bring our voice to the table and a president who should find a way to bring compromise and move forward. What we have is a guy who’s stated he seeks to reward his friends and punish his enemies. Those are folks who voted for him and folks who didn’t.

You think it’s great to steamroll the repubs now but when the other party gets in sooner or later that’s what comes back to you. It doesn’t help the country, only the special interests and only temporarily. What you advocate is bringing an end to this great experiment.

And enough of the Bill O’Reilly references. He claims to be an independent, like you do, not a Repub. He’s a know-it-all bloviator, too. The parallels are too much to ignore.

Where do I talk right and wrong? You are supposedly Responding to me yet I made none of the points you argue. Good one. I’m talking about Congress and their lack of accountability, skippy. Keep building those wicker guys to rail against. Comprehension ain’t your string suit.

From day 1 the Republicans in Congress vowed to make Obama a one-term president. They vowed to oppose anything and everything that he put forth. And that is exactly what they did. The republicans held up money to help first responders to 9/11 victims and their families until Obama took out the tax hike for the rich. The republicans made their bones for, oh, 7 years spewing the words 9/11 in EVERY local city, county, district, state and federal election. But when it came time to actually help the people that they conveniently called heroes, they turned their backs on them in their hour of need. Much like Bush cutting care for returning soldiers from Iraq/Afghanistan. As just happened AGAIN under the rebpublican congress. The republicans moan and groan about a policy that would spend 1 billion to help vets get job training to get back into the work force. They let the US credit rating slip,thus edging the world economy closer to faltering, rather than raise the debt ceiling. Something which happened 17 times under Bush II. You know. The guy who lowered taxes and started 2 wars. Thus creating 10 trillion in debt.

These and about 1,000 other things are why politics in this country at this time are clouded by cronyism in the republuican party. That and the teabagger movement. There is little to no meaningful discourse mainly because of the veiled racism coming out of the supposedly mainstream republicans, and the anti-everything coming out of the tea party.

Differing views of the world? The ONLY THING Obama has done differently than Bush is Obamacare. The rest is pretty much status quo. Yet to you, it’s a fucking sea change. Open your eyes skippy. It’s the same shit, different party. Can’t you see that? Of course not. You are swayed by Rupert and Fox. Calling Obama the Kenyan and believing the socialist crap agenda they put forth. If you understood anything about politics, you’d see that there’s nothing really different about Obama and any other president since Reagan. Except for the color of Obama’s skin.

“Reward his friends and punish his enemies.” Yup. Obama’s the first president to do that. Good God, man. Are you serious?

It’s like fantasy land. Like republicans crowing about how low gas prices were under Bush in 2008. Yeah, that’s true, but the economy was shedding 800,000 jobs a month at the time and the country was in free-fall. Hearing the republicans talka bout things, the country was in fine fettle in 2008, and ony then did things go to hell in a basket. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I mkay be juvenile NoFear, but Christ, you are positively infantile.

This is too funny:

Elvis Dumervil now a free agent

Well, this is a mess. The Broncos were in talks with defensive end Elvis Dumervil to take a pay cut to stay with the team, and it came down to the wire. With the deadline at 4:00 EDT, the sides reached an agreement in principle at 3:25. Dumervil didn’t fax the contract until 4:07. Dumervil is now a free agent.

It’s a colossal, colossal fuck-up, and judging from all the NFL reporters relaying the news from “team sources,” the Broncos are laying the blame on Dumervil’s agent Marty Magid. When 4:00 rolled around, Denver was in a bind. Without a new contract, Dumervil was due the $12 million in his original deal, rather than the $8 million they re-negotiated today. “We had to protect ourselves,” a team source told one reporter, and they cut Dumervil.

Dumervil and the Broncos could get back together and sign a new deal, but for now he’s on the open market—and a new contract, as opposed to a restructured one, will have major salary cap implications for Denver. It’s a reminder that fax machines are now only used in pro and college football, and will fuck you over any chance they get.

Fax machine? Welcome to 1985, guys . . .

I’m out, y’all.

Have at it either way.

• NoFear49er says:

Well, thanks Chuck for the twenty-eight posts proving my point. Now get your binky and take a time out until normal color returns to your face.

btw, as much as you bring up Fox News you should actually look at it now and then. There are plenty of liberals and libertarians running around there with the independents and conservatives. When you take your talking points from others you’re bound to stumble over your (their) references now and then.

I really like what I’m seeing from the 49ers. I like their ability to evaluate talent, but more importantly, set a price for what that talent’s worth. They aren’t signing Reed, Woodson, Delmas (who just resigned) or Landry. They’re letting the market drive the price down. That’s the right move. Let those guys either sign else where or swing in the wind so the price is near rock bottom. All you’re paying for at this stage in their careers is their knowledge. Good coaching can bridge that knowledge gap to younger talent. The more confident the 49ers are in their ability to scout and coach, the more it negates Ed Reed’s value, thus dropping the price. I read that the 49ers had Woodson in for a look, and they’ve expressed interest in Nnamdi….. but no offers yet. Let ‘em sit on the market, twisting in the wind, and let them think “maybe there careers are over in the NFL.” Then bring one of ‘em back from the dead if necessary…. off the scrap heap. That’s the right move. Maybe even do it after the draft is over.

• Good points, a lot is going well on upgrading the roster and looks like staying under the salary cap too. Like the talent evaluation ability too. Future’s bright

It looks like, now, after being handcuffed for four years, the Obama administration is starting go after Wall Street. The Fed is investigating the SnP, JP Morgan Chase,and they just reached a settlement with a hedge fund for fraud for 615 million dollars. Don’t stop, Obama. Clean up the mess from yesterday. The only reason Obama couldn’t three years ago is because A.) he wasn’t strong enough politically, and B.) re-election. Now I hope he lays out a scorched earth policy regarding Wall Street. Make. Them. Pay.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Nothing like having a Swiss Miss clean your toilet for minimum wage.
      Or some French guy picking lettuce.
      It is obvious Trump doesn’t get it and he’s a bigot.

• Spitblood says:

But more importantly, Trump’s a Republican mouth piece driving away more people from the party. The GOP answer to winning elections? Trump alienating more people. I love it.

• NoFear49er says:

Stupid game to play. Trump belongs to which ever party gets him in front of a camera, which includes being a registered democrat. While you’re busy trying to define parties by its nutjobs, don’t leave out your own.

• Spitblood says:

Speaking of games, NoFear …. Let’s play this one. Cite Your Source. It’s a hilarious game once we “site” yours. I’m citing the Seattle PI. You?

• NoFear49er says:

You’re requesting sources? That alone is hilarious, but sources for what?

I hope to see your next and future mental meanderings fully attributed, too. Anyone calling for sources on silly games can never go back.

And you were told he was a tea partier, right?

• Spitblood says:

Source? You aren’t familiar with what I’m talking about? Your source was blogspot. LOL…… compared to a Seattle newspaper. ‘Nough said….

SFGate reports from an NFL Network report that Aldon Smith had shoulder (labrum) surgery several weeks ago. Love it how the local “insiders” stay on top of things…

• Chico says:

You mean Lynch doesn’t ask the tough questions? Aldon wasn’t right towards the end of the season – this may explain it.

28. Alleykat says:

I’ll throw in a name for the new FG kicker.Why blow a draft pick on one who will fail.Though the Norwegian guy that Snarrk mentioned did get laughing some,I’m going with another Vet,just recently cut.
    Phil Dawson…yeah he’s barely younger then Akers,then again he’s pretty Damm consistence.
    305-363 for his career 84% made the Pro-Bowl last year after a excellent season.
    Kat’s making the call now.He will be the guy they sign! Hook-em Horns.He went to University of Texas.

29. Bill Brady says:

I must say, I’m a little teapot.

• Spitblood says:

V’s probably got 50 stolen computers in his cabin…..

• Chico says:

Your 1st amendment rights pertain to the government, not someone’s private blog..

• Grumpy Guy says:

As an experiment for the reader, try going to work and telling your employer that you are a Communistic, believe in the forcible redistrribution of all wealth, and the violent overthrow of the US government and it’s replacement with a revolutionary council.

Your government allows you (for now) to say such things.

It has no opinion, however, about what your boss does in response. Happy job hunting.

• Chico says:

Cool, I’ll try that the next time I find myself on the job hunt… My point to the OP was that the bill of rights, and his 1st amendment rights have nothing to do with someone’s private blog.. It’s pretty straight forward.

• Chico says:

And your whole argument falls flat on it’s face.. People like me only hear what I want to hear? Question: Which side has the bigger tent? Think about it.

This is a football blog, cocksucker. Adios, muchacho.

THis s for flying dildo.

30. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

This type of discussion usually morphs into a free for all.
    Let’s reset this. Flying V came here and provoked as trolls do that Kaepernick was a thug because he was black and sported tattoos. Blatant bigotry.
    Defending his statement can only mean you concur.
    In 2013 you can’t shout down a bigot who hides under a political label?
    That is the bottom line.

There wasn’t a single sentence worthy of a reply in anything V had to say. It was all a litany of antagonism, a blatant attempt to provoke a response. Worthless.
    As my friend Phil once said “Don’t feed the trolls”, good advice.

32. Bill Brady says:

You well.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Have you looked in the mirror lately?
      You’ll see what pure ignorance looks like?
      Why doesn’t V comment on the tattoos on the white guys on the Forty Niners?
      Both of you guys don’t know the difference between your pieholes and your assholes.
      The END result is the same diarrhea spewing out of both orifices.

• Chico says:

You must have missed the ‘monkey thug’ comments, little V.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Nothing like a courageous punk calling other people “girls” on a blog hiding behind a
      keyboard. You must have eaten your Wheaties today.
      Does your wife know how you’re behaving?
      Oh yeah no possible way any woman would marry you.
      Let me rephrase, what does your mother think?

My thinking on the politics discussion is that under Reagan a policy of trickle down went into effect. Give the rich more money and everyone below them get’s some when the rich spend.
    That policy has never stopped under any President since, including Obama. It has never worked of course, it should have been named trickle out as in out of this country to China etc.
    The public political fighting over “brand” is nothing more than a skirmish over the crumbs left to 90% of the populace. Yes Democrats are willing to give a few more crumbs to the lower income spectrum so in that light they are slightly “less evil” as someone here put it but how easily are we Americans bought, that we have allowed our entire system to be gamed to this degree right under our noses, over the exact amount of crumbs we should have?

It’s easy to fall prey to the framing of arguments fed us by our particular “news” source and bicker amongst ourselves how “our” party is better than “yours” but it’s all crap.

Each successive government since Reagan has increased the wealth at the top by taking it from the bottom and increasingly from the middle. Any cursory look at wealth distribution shows this fact.

I am not for taking from the rich to give to the poor, the Robin Hood approach. I am for keeping as much as I earn as possible and deciding for myself what to do with the money, not donating it to large corporations and individuals who extract it without my permission by structuring tax laws and enacting other laws to benifit themselves at my expense.

This is in fact where the majority of money goes. Secondarily, and to a lesser extent it goes to social programs. Some of which are white elephant sink holes for politicians reelection voter sweeteners. But there is a distinction, pensions, medicaid are PAID for programs by the elderly that worked and PAID all their lives to earn the right to receive those funds. They are not “benefits” as politicians like to call them, they are “funds” paid for by the hardworking American people and no politician has any right to redistribute that money to any other entity rich or poor.
    Those funds will not be sufficient due to an aging populace but the answer is not to give everyone who paid in less, that is called theft, it is to use government backed investment to grow the fund, just like all those corporate guys do and yes they are government backed investments commonly known as bailouts.

Stop buying into this propoganda and look at what is really happening. Our money and rights are being stolen at a record pace and Obama is not our saviour anymore than Bush was. They are part of the enabling machine along with almost every other elected official.

There is a reason the stock market is over 14,000 and the average “Joe” is scraping by. Democrat, Republican, two sides of the same coin.
    America is close to being an Oligarchy in reality and who you vote for as president next time won’t do a damn thing to change that.

• Chico says:

Ah, supply side economics.. You’re right, it’s still going on.. I’ll even go further and say that calling them ‘entitlements’ is much worse than calling them benefits.

I would define what’s going on as more of a plutocracy. We have at least 5 different people here who differ on specific issues — and that’s good for a country. If we all thought the same, we’d be really fucked.

Plutocracy fits too Chico. I agree various opinions is a good condition for our Republic, I would prefer to deal with our crooked government regardless of who the placeholder is. Citizens United is am oxymoron, it is Oligarchs United. Money buys influence and power. We the people is largely redundant.
        The very first step to fixing this is to have no private funds from anyone in any election. The second is to allot exactly the same amount of press coverage candidate by candidate until there are 2 left. If every candidate has exactly the same budget it becomes how to best use those funds and it becomes about ideas rather than attack ads.
        Next, ban lobbying and special interests. No campain contributions will make most of it obsolete anyway.
        To fix the system you must remove the money from it.

• Chico says:

A fucking men! I have been throwing this link http://getmoneyout.com/ out there before it was cool.. Getting rid of that horrible ruling would be a good start..

• NoFear49er says:

If we had a plutocracy half the people wouldn’t be paying less than zero taxes. And Obama was flat broke as a Senator.

Even if the contributions can’t go to the candidates the bundlers can set up another company to keep it and use it in support. It’s not just ads. Today’s elections are all out efforts to gain advantage anyhow and anywhere. It would be a nice start if some of those supporters breaking laws were even punished.

The primary system is another aspect that gives me much trouble. It seems only the voters of the states with primaries before super tuesday have any say in who the rest of us have to choose from.

As long as the voting public remains essentially too lazy to care it won’t get fixed. We now have a guy who ignores the limits of the Constitution and operates in secret as much as possible with the aid and support of the media. He ignores contract and bankruptcy law and pays bond holders pennies on the dollar while giving th UAW more than their share of the profits from a taxpayer paid bailout. And now we have the USG holding your car’s warranty. Private company executives fired by the president and told how they will operate their private business. And for the first time ever Americans are required to purchase a commercial product as a condition of citizenship. And still he’s held as blameless and untouchable by half the sheep and their press.

One thing is certain. Nobody gets tired of spending other people’s money. The people must say that’s enough. But as long as the takers outnumber the makers they never will. And that’s the main flaw in our system, that folks can and do vote themselves other people’s money.

THat’s been my point all along skippy. I’ve been saying just that for five years no out here on the web.

• Chico says:

Plutocracy: Historically and by the nature of their existence, wealthy individuals and organizations can exert influence over the political arena. In the modern era, democratic republics around the world permit fundraising for politicians, who frequently rely on such income for advertising their candidacy to the voting public.
        Whether through individuals, corporations or advocacy groups, such donations are often believed to engender a cronyist or patronage system via which major contributors are rewarded on a more or less quid pro quo basis. In fact, while campaign donations need not directly affect the legislative decisions of elected representatives, the natural expectation of donors is that their needs will be served by the person they donated to. If not, it is in their self-interest to fund a different candidate or political organization.

Does that sound familiar NF? If it doesn’t, lets just agree to disagree.

NF, to who would the bundlers give money if the politicians can’t use it for re-election and the special interest lobbyists are no longer in existence?
        If elected officials can’t position themselves favorably by getting more money and they can’t get a second career as a lobbyist that cuts out most of the crooked government at source.

It won’t be perfect of course but naked greed is rampant now with laws framed to the highest bidder, that needs to end before we get back the American dream for all but a few.

As for the Obama rhetoric do you really believe Bush observed the constitution more than Obama? Or his government was more transparent? They are the same guys. Has Obama repealed any of the laws Bush enacted that gave the White House more executive power? Of course not, and the next guy, whichever party he affiliates with won’t either. We will hear the same party line bleating from the loser about accountability and transparency and it’s all crap.

You have your right to believe how you wish but to me that thinking is exactly why we are being screwed by our own successive governments whatever the placeholders name happens to be.

As always it’s a case of KISS…keep it simple stupid and follow the money, it ain’t rocket science.

NF, first you must identify “the takers” and if you follow the money you will find it is largely not the elderly or the sick or the 47% or whatever group those that receive the most from our government want to place the blame on whilst chewing on their havana’s and laughing at the stupid “little” people who pay tax.
        It is the few that buy favorable laws to give themselves more money one way or another.

Those glib sayings about those pulling wagons and those riding on them have nothing to do with where the big money is going.

It is absolutely true we need to live within our means, but it is not Joe public that is not doing that. It’s the guys taking an ever increasing slice of the revenue pie. Just look at which direction money is flowing and it is overwhelmingly to the very wealthy not because they “earned” it but because they structure law to benefit them. All this stuff about illegals, or lazy welfare recipients or topic du jour is true but it’s almost insignificant compared to the percentage of income gained by the super rich, they just steal it in different ways that sound legit on the surface.

People need to dig a little deeper than the headlines and get outraged enough to vote for real change not the window dressing Obama gave.

I think it’s generally accepted by everyone on this blog that in the draft the Niners need D line, secondary and WR help. I think we all also agree that with the first three picks we go best player available in one of those areas. But I think with free agency it just got more likely the 49ers grab a wide receiver in the first round.

Seattle and the Vikings (two teams who needed wide receiver help) have traded for or acquired Harvin and Greg Jennings. The Niners obviously grabbed Boldin. Seattle now has Harvin and Rice… and that’s not enough in my opinion. I think Seattle still has a WR need. But the question for Seattle, the Vikings and Niners becomes – now that they’ve acquired Harvin, Jennings and Boldin, is a first round wide receiver warranted? For the 49ers I say yes unless Baalke has found three or four wide receiver stars he’s confident he can draft in the later rounds. But I don’t have faith in Baalke to find us wide receivers in any round. It could seriously be Baalke’s biggest shortcoming when drafting, so that might mean another first round wide receiver.

In my opinion, if all things were equal regarding skill, wide receiver is one of the hardest positions to develop. The position requires coaches to teach players about defenses, qb play, route running and receivers need to get more physical to compete at the pro level. Compare a receiver to a running back. The running back just needs to learn to pass block and hit the hole hard. Micheal Crabtree took five years to develop (partly because Alex Smith wasn’t very good). Jenkins will take time to develop also. But Crabtree and AJ…. along with an older Boldin aren’t enough. The 49ers need to draft more wide receivers, and if you look at the NFL draft landscape, you’ll see that the best player available in the first round could be a wide receiver.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

170 lb receiver?
      Just the other day you were saying big receivers are better.
      WTF?????????

Politics on Chuck’s blog? BLEEP IT!

• philippinefan says:

Yeah no shit. Over here I wisely keep my big yap shut about politics as it’s not my place and too risky. For the US I’m more interested in the destruction of our currency and economy than what a buncha greedhead politicos are up to…which is the usual power and control grab.

Spit, if we draft a WR with our first pick I’ll want Baalke’s head on a pike and yours right next to it for even suggesting it. You want to compound last year’s mistake with Jenkins with another? Please don’t aggravate me with those thoughts. I have enough bad ones of my own.

One good thought: I got green donuts for St. Paddy’s Day tomorrow.

Add one more bad thought: we just signed Craig Dahl to a 3-yr deal. So as of now, our starting safeties are Whitner and a shitty, slow white guy. Seattle must be laughing.

• Spitblood says:

Craig Dahl is a special teams guy. The Niners know they need to improve their coverage units. That’s the second acquisition to bolster STs. I love it. Field position on D – don’t give ‘em an inch, while Kaep scores in bunches.

Dahl does play special teams, but unless the Niners sign Woodson/Reed or move up in the draft to grab Vaccaro, Dahl will be starting at safety. That is a horrific thought. Just what I needed, another terrifying thought to startle and scare me.

Time to go feed the ducks and restore some peace and tranquility.

• Spitblood says:

Relax, Del. He won’t be our starter.

• Spitblood says:

Del – guard against complacency and fear. Best player available. A good offense is a great defense. BPA DT, DB or WR.

• philippinefan says:

My son the Notre Dame and Patriots fan will be boarding a plane in LA bound fer Manila on Paddy’s Day. Been 5 years since we last toasted the Green and we’re going to make up fer that with a bottle of 18 year old Jameson at sunset on the next island over.

Thankfully we spanked the Pats this year…

The Pats just released Brandon Lloyd. Bring ‘em back? Still very productive last yr: 74/911/4
    But that’s catching passes from the future POTUS. Kap’s still an intern. But, hey, so was Monica.

• Spitblood says:

The Pats just cut out their cancer. No thank you to Brandon Lloyd. He’s talented, but he’s also close to being retired because of his personality.

38. philippinefan says:

IF Jenkins doesn’t develop/is a bust I’m going to have to agree with Spit that Baalke may be a superior talent evaluater in most areas but not so much at WR.

• NoFear49er says:

Nobody gets ‘em all right. Even Walsh had a few ugly misses. On the other hand I hope his good drafts don’t turn out to be the flukes.

Many wideouts don’t “get it” until their third year on a team with the same QB and offensive system. And that’s a WR1 or WR2 in a system that throws. AJ couldn’t have made the lineup last year without an injury somewhere anyway.

AJ’s got time to right his self. He came in star-crossed and out of shape. He was buried on the depth chart. He’s got time to turn his shit around but it would be better sooner than later.

“Turn his shit around” with a finger pointed at his chest and a drill sargent barking in his ear. He needs a good boot camp.

40. Unca-chuck says:

Hey !

I still subscribe to the theory that Baalke had Moss here last year to mentor the WR Group.
    As indicated through discussion to this point, Dahl isn’t a replacement for Goldson IMO.
    He’s a piece to the overall puzzle.

We’re holding a fistful of Draft Picks to set ourselves up for the future in the areas that need the most attention, DL, and Secondary among them.

I’m not concerned about what Petey and the Seahawks have done on paper.
    We’re younger on the O-Line and will soon be younger in the D-Line./Secondary as well.

There’s a flat Cap to deal with for the immediate future and, we have other guys on our roster worthy of Cap budgeting.
    Let Pete make a FA run.
    Philly won the FA Sweepstakes last year.
    Don’t mean Jack in March.

Don’t know about you NJ but I wish those players were on the Niner squad instead of the Squawks come September.

I liked Michael Bennett myself 12th.
        Avril was handled very well by Anthony Davis however.
        We’ll have our work cut out for ourselves, no doubt.

Going to be a very heated rivalry between Pete and Jim for years to come.
        I’m not trying to sugarcoat anything, just trying to remain firmly positive about the job Baalke has done since he arrived.

Landing Harbaugh was worth the price of loyalty for me.

We aren’t known for overpaying for aging talent on Baalkes’ watch.
        If he’s comfortable allowing all these FAs to move on, there’s reason to believe he knows what he wants and how much to pay for it.

Remember the Draft Picks.
        He’s loaded for the hunt.

I’m not convinced that Goodwin, Whitner and Rogers are guaranteed to be here come September either.
        If we can tinker with the Cap budget enough, we could still be in the Market for a splash player signing if something becomes available.

I could also see a fit with Richard Seymour for a similar benefit to the D-Line.
      It’s the 1st week of FA.
      Plenty of time to tinker and, reload in areas of loss to FA.

Look at the upside.
      We parted ways with Alex and made off like bandits in the process.
      Baalke plays the game as well as anyone in the game right now.

Yeah he does. Squawks had more cap room and as you say, no guarantee the splashy free agents pan out but they are talented and were right behind the Niners last year. Should be a fun year again.

I’m looking forward to the Draft at this point.
        There are still many good FAs kicking around and others yet to be released.
        I’m a little curious about DT Sen’Derrick Marks from TN as a possible D-Line option.

Baalke could also be waiting for our own FAs to move on as well.
        McBath seems to have vanished from view.
        Can’t find him on the current Roster or being signed elsewhere?

Have I mentioned recently that I’d like to see us sign a Fat Man in the middle?
    I’m looking for a bonafide 350lb NT.

43. Unca-chuck says:

!

Eddie spent money because there wasn’t a Cap to deal with.
      Now there’s reason to be smart about the money you allocate and what you can expect to get in return.
      I’m fine with being budget conscious since I’m expecting to see plenty of cheap young talent selected in April Faux Chuck.

Making it to SB is reward enough considering the abysmal patch we went through since Alex was Drafted.
      We’re just beginning to be relevant.
      Losing a SB is disappointing, it’s not a terminal condition unless you’re old and over the hill in terms of talent.

V – We need more of this…… Chuck is a hillbilly.

“Sorry I got to go, I got a flat tire on my Mobil home and it’s chilling on two rims of my wife’s gremlin and I got to get it fix by tomorrow morning or else she’ll put her bowling ball through the front window of my 71 pacer.”

NJ – did you see the Niners restructured Manningham? I bet they try to the do the same with Goodwin, Rogers and Whitner. “You don’t like it? Kick rocks.”

That’s the option Spit, Mario is a huge question mark coming off the knee injury.
      His money reduction opens the door for other options that can provide some production.
      Dahl is a tackling machine if nothing else.
      I don’t see him as a starter at this point in the process.
      He probably will replace a guy like McBath or another guy currently on the Roster.

Yeah, your blog was a real hit wasn’t it,,Spitty? A real crowd pleaser.

V, sorry you don’t have a life worth living. Don’t take it out on the rest of us.

Next step is to force everyone to register or shut this down.

You try to run a blog and get this shit? Not worth it.

Let’s not forget about a S on the current Roster that played for Harbaugh and Fangio at Stanford, Michael Thomas.
    Not sure if he’s ready to go just yet but, he’s a possibility.

NJ49er, what’s the total and one year rookie pool for these guys?

NoFear49er I’ve only seen the overall Cap number being at $123Mil/Team.
      Have not seen anything specific to a Rookie Pool.

I’d have to assume that the individual pools would be dictated by available money below the ceiling of $123M?

I’ll dig around and see if there’s anything related to a specific Pool number.

• NoFear49er says:

No need to dig, but thanks. Just wondering about the effect of the contract limits on the rookies’ mandated four year contracts with so many picks in our pockets.

I know the maximum was set in the CBA for 2011. It increases, or decreases, league-wide by the same percentage as the salary cap. The problem in figuring it today is it is allocated to the teams according to their draft picks’ rounds and positions.

Just as a starting point, it was set to not exceed $874.5M for the Total Rookie Compensation Pool and $159M for the Year-One Rookie Compensation Pool for 2011 in the CBA.

It’s a very vague position to be in now NoFear49er.
      I’d have to believe everything is based off the ceiling of $123M.

The link I provided does state that the percentage of Cap expenditures has to Avg 89%.
      What I’m not clear on is whether that is mandatory per year or, spread over the span of the 4 year period?

Since we’re juggling departing Contracts and adding some bargain FAs, I’d have to think the possibility exists to restructure some higher money Contracts if Baalke locates a key Vet he’d like to fit in.

• NoFear49er says:

The rookie pools have floors as well as ceilings, too. Their salary only counts against the cap if they break the top 51 salaries until the regular season so some of the later round picks won’t affect the salary cap until then.

But it won’t matter if there’s room in the salary cap, the rookie contracts have to fit into the rookie pool, year-one and total.

• NoFear49er says:

btw, looks like the CBA says the minimum spending is counted each year. It’s the percentages that apply in four-year groupings.

Interesting.
      If you locate a breakdown I’d like to try to absorb some of that legal-eeze.

Here are my thoughts on this year’s wide receiver class rounds 1-3.

First off, I only think there are four receivers I’d give a first round grade to and I rank them like this:

1.) Tavon Austin
    2.) Cordarrelle Patterson
    3.) Keenan Allen
    4.) Da’Rick Rogers

That’s based on talent alone, but Da’Rick’s a head case who will probably drop into the 3rd or even 4th rounds. So I think there’s only 3 first round receivers this year.

Second round talent is vanilla, but effective: Here’s how I rank them:

1.) Justin Hunter (big bodied receiver who doesn’t dominate but you can design plays for – particularly in the red zone).
    2.) Hopkins
    3.) Patton
    4.) Wheaton

Hopkins, Patton and Wheaton are all simliar receivers – nothing great, but solid.

To me, the 3rd round is interesting, and I could see the 49ers finding 3rd round gold.

Here’s how I rank the 3rd round:
    1.) Ryan Swope – Mike Mayock loves this kid, and I can see why. He plays with intensity and passion, and he can do everything. He’s a lot of fun to watch on Youtube.
    2.) Aaron Dobson – Washington State kid who is big, catches the ball well with his hands (some one hander highlights on Youtube), and me makes tough catches in traffic. He’s one of my new favorites.
    3.) Woods – USC Some have him ranks as a late first, early second. I disagree. I think he’ll fall to the 3rd. Slow off the line and not very physical. I wouldn’t draft him at all, but some team will, and I think he’s a 3rd rounder.
    ~ This is where I see Da’Rick Rogers going.
    4.) Terrance Williams – Falls down a lot. Gets open, but not great footwork.

In the first round, without moving up, I think the only receiver the 49ers have a shot at is Keenan Allen from Berkeley, but I think it’s an outside shot…. only if he falls.

In the second round, the only receiver I’d draft is Justin Hunter from Tennessee.

But in the 3rd round, the 49ers could find gold with either Aaron Dobson, Da’Rick Rogers, or Mike Mayock’s boy, Ryan Swope. And any one of these three could be the 49ers’ 62nd overall pick (late second round). Aaron Dobson is under the radar. Ryan Swope is a shorter, but faster, Jody Nelson. And Da’Rick’s a psychology project with potential written all over him. It wouldn’t break my heart if Baalke went with one of these guys in the in the late second, or moved up into the early 3rd. But I’d watch. If Dobson and Rogers went off the board early, I’d grab Swope.

I have about 15 more late round receivers to evaluate. It’s an interesting receiver class this year.

• Spitblood says:

Correction: Aaron Dobson is out of Marshal… and I like him too. But my new favorite potential third rounder is the Washington State kid, Marquess Wilson. Dobson and Wilson are similar receivers. I like ‘em both.

The 3rd round has wide receiver gold in dem dar hills.

• JDR says:

BTW I’ve seen at least one mock draft that has Swope going to the Niners in the second. Not sure that would complement the receivers they have now though, lots of YAC guys on the roster already.

Told you Marquess Wilson had some nice numbers Spit.
        I like him for my ‘Tall WR’ Group.

Check out Josh Boyce from TCU.
        He’s my answer to Tavon Austin, who I think gets selected by MN to replace Harvin.
        I’m breaking my selections into Tall and Slot guys this year.
        The entire WR Group is stacked well enough to split them I think.

Swope has had concussion issues. I’m a little leary of that.
        I also think he’s gonna get grabbed by Miami to be reunited with Tannehill and Sherman.

• JDR says:

I’ve found it’s more or less pointless to try and guess the Niners’ pick after watching the last two drafts. They seem to zero in on their guy and whether he’s there at 31 or 62 they take him. But if I had to bank on it, go for the guy who is in a position of need and has a high ceiling vs immediate impact. So I’d say… Margus Hunt out of SMU?

• Spitblood says:

I’m not really trying to guess who the 49ers will pick, but I am trying to slot each receiver. The more I look at receivers on Youtube, the more I think the 49ers will go wide receiver in the 3rd. There’s a lot of talent in the 3rd, and I think the 49ers could find a guy in the 3rd this year who’s more talented than AJ Jenkins – obviously last year’s first.

• Spitblood says:

Hunt’s interesting, but I could see him easily getting washed out by guards and tackles because of his height. But what the heck do I know?

• JDR says:

He needs to bulk up for sure, but you have to like the idea of a 6’8 bulldozer clearing the road for Aldon Smith.

I’m in for Margus also JDR.
        Should see him in Rd 2.

I’d also consider a similar sized kid from SCar., Devin Taylor.
        Margus could start immediately as a Pass Rush specialist.
        Taylor who is younger could be seen as a developmental prospect at the same position.

I keep getting these two confused. I like Dobson better, and think Marquess Wilson could drop to the 4th round. But both are talented, and somewhat similar. Dobson is bigger, Wilson is quicker. Both have great hands. Easy to confuse the two.

A WR in the 3rd rd. Now you’re talking. Not only is that plausible, but it’s quite sensible. But that doesn’t change the fact that Craig Dahl will be starting at safety. “Horror has a face, and you must make a friend of horror.”

Meet your new friendly face of horror, starting safety Craig Dahl. “The horror! The horror!”

53. JDR says:

It pains me to suggest an ex-Raiduh, but DHB is a free agent at this point and he would be the deep threat they need out of the slot.

• Grumpy Guy says:

DHB is another fast guy who can’t catch. We just had one – what do you call it? Right, a Ginn. We don’t need a Ginn, again. Fuck that alliteration shit.

• JDR says:

DHB doesn’t return kicks. So we’d be getting a guy like Ginn without the… oh, i get what you’re saying… Right, fuck that guy.

• Spitblood says:

We don’t need a Walker again…. wait that’s not an alliteration…. who cares? No more stone hands. Crabtree… awesome (who’d a thunk it a few years back?) Vernon? I’m always skeptical. He’s a body trapper. But the ball on his numbers or else. Boldin? Awesome. Jenkins has hands even though his one pass all year he dropped. If you can’t catch the football, you’re pretty much useless as a receiver. So why bother?

• Spitblood says:

Lol. Vwey crever. Who’s gonna return kicks for us? Right now it’s James? He’s shaky on punts. LaMicheal LaMuffs LaPunts.

Here’s another kid I like – Dion Sims – TE – Michigan State. Kid can block and catch. F the speed. With Alex Smith it’s okay to have guys like Delanie Walker. Smith couldn’t throw, Delanie couldn’t catch. Gee… why did we suck on 3rd downs? But with Kaep…. get that kid some weapons.

Give me TE Dion Sims in the 4th and WR Aaron Dobson in the 3rd.

Kaep to Crabtree, Vernon, Boldin, Jenkins, Sims and Dobson? Now we’re talkin! Fuck the ‘Hawks. Fuck ‘em.

55. Chico says:

Happy St. Paddy’s day!

I’ve mentioned it a hundred times before, so one more time won’t hurt…
    My middle goddamn name is Patrick! So until they accept my relentless and incessant plea to have a St. Dennis Day, I’ll have to settle for this.

Cheers

Incessant’s yer middle name, Dennis. Incessant and inane.

You can add lazy, languid and late to your list. I just now took my corned beef out of its pot. And now its resting on the cutting board. Nothing but a bunch of lazy sack of shits in my kitchen.

Eric Reid and Phillip Thomas head my FS list along with Bacarri Rambo.
    I’d also consider TJ McDonald who plays FS at USC being moved to SS in our system.

At SS, I’m also in favor of Earl Wolff, NC St and Matt Elam, UF.
    Elam is kind of small however, similar to Whitner.

Spit, throw TE Joe Fauria from UCLA on your list of guys to research.
    He’s a big target as well.

• Spitblood says:

I see the Giants snatched up your Raiders TE. My new favorite WR is Aaron Dobson.

Yep, saw that. He’s not a huge target but seemed like a reliable alternative to the loss of Delanie IMO.

Dobson is list worthy.
        My Top Slot guys are, Quinton Patton, Markus Wheaton, Josh Boyce.
        I loved Stedman Bailey from WVU, wasn’t impressed with his 40 time.
        Same goes for Woods from USC. Both guys play big however.
        Not sure 4.5 guys will get it done.
        See how it goes.

Dobson makes the ‘Tall’ List which is still being worked on.
        I’m looking at Marquess Wilson as a late Rd steal.

Da’Rick and Tyrann Mathieu are going to be on my ‘Risk/Reward’ List.

I do like the idea of AJ and Justin Hunter together for us.
        Hunter is tall and runs very well. Quite an athletic kid, track guy I think?
        He tore an ACL in College too.
        Seems to have that behind him with 40s in the 4.4s I guess?

What bugs me is that he’ll likely need to be selected higher than our 2nd Rd2 Pick.
        Not sure I’d value him that high since I’m leaning toward a DT/DE/CB/S focus there.
        Again, the CB/S group is deep so perhaps we could wait?

So, my fall back option is, to wait for Marquess Wilson later, just in case.

WR Aaron Mellette from Elon is another tall WR but, he ran like crap too.
        A 4.5 40 and, being from a small school program, just scares me too much to get that excited about the crazy numbers he accumulated.

• Spitblood says:

I bet Marquess Wilson is a 4th rounder. I could see Dobson going late second, early third.

I just watched the SSs…. I like Cyprien. Don’t like Elam. It’s funny, Elam and Cyprien are Goldson and Whitner. Cyprien, like Goldson, could play both SS and FS. Elam can talk a good game about doing both, but like Whitner, he can’t cover because he’s short.

I don’t think the 49ers can go wrong drafting Cyprien or Reid, but I’m not liking what I’m seeing recently from Phillip Thomas. I’ve found a bunch more stuff on him on Youtube and Thomas plays slow and gets caught out of position a good deal. You can’t do both. It’s like drinking and driving – you can’t drink and drive AND speed. If you’re gonna speed, don’t drink. If you’re gonna drink, don’t speed. Thomas can’t be slow, take bad angles and get caught out of position. I don’t care if a guy is slow, but he has to be able compensate for it. I was high on him until a day or two ago. Now I’m not so sure.

I could live with Reid and TJ back there for us.
        Both guys are tall and can hit.
        Each guy had respectable tackle numbers as well.
        Downside is they are 4.5 40 guys.

Rambo isn’t too shabby either.
        Earl Wolff is my pick over Elam.
        Cyprien is a tackling machine, as is Wolff. Could live with either.

Rambo and Cyprien didn’t run in Indy though so, not sure where they stack up in terms of speed.

I’ve thought about CB David Amerson as a conversion to FS too.
        He’s a possibility to improve on the stuff Thomas is missing, mostly speed.
        I agree about Phillip Thomas, he’s probably a little inconsistent by comparison.
        He also had a miserable showing in the 40 in Indy, 4.6s.

If we look for speed and coverage, Amerson and Wolff provide that.
        They played together at NC St too. Not sure you’d want 2 guys from the same program.

I’m curious about Nevada SS Duke Williams too. Good size and excellent speed.

I liked SCar S DJ Swearinger quite a bit until I saw him run in Indy.
        He laid an egg like Thomas in the 40. Can’t live with 4.6s

TJ in the 4.5s means SS to me.
        Even that is a little slow but, he’s tall and has some range.
        If you give him a faster FS to work with it could spell a nice tandem for us down the road.

I had seen a report prior to the Combine that Kaep had WR Ace Sanders working with him in GA while he was there with AJ and Lockette.

Ace has some PR experience at SCar.
    Very possible he’s on the radar as a RS for us.

NJ, NJ, NJ….. HOLY CRAP! Right now’s the first time I’ve seen Ace Saunders on You Tube…. that’s guy’s amazing That guy is Barry Sanders in a WR’s body. Look at the moves at 1:20 on that punt return. Sweet Christmas Charles Brown! Why have Kaep throw him anything? Don’t tip your hand. That kid’s a steal!

• Spitblood says:

That might be my new favorite kid in the draft. Ace Sanders is legit. This is an amazing draft class. Give me Reid, Dobson, Ace Saunders, Dion Sims and a couple of nose tackles and we’ll dominate.

I agree.
      Shhhhh. Don’t tell anyone.
      I want Ace.
      Ace is the Place for the Helpful PR Man.

Keep working that Draft Board Spit, I’ve been reading and researching for months.
      We are going to get some very valuable additions from this Draft Class next month.

Screw Seattle.
      We will prevail.

• Spitblood says:

How is Ace Sanders not at least a second round pick? Just goes to show that the places reporting mock drafts and draft evaluations don’t know shit.

The other guy I have penciled in for PR duty is CB Dustin Harris from TX A&M.
      Ace is hands down the front runner.
      A WR with PR skills just seems like a better fit for us.

• Grumpy Guy says:

At 5-7, 173, he ain’t gonna be starting at WR – but the kid has a rocket in his ass. Incredible acceleration. I’d draft him second day just for the return game. Use him in spots from scrimmage, as a decoy half the time, also for slants, end arounds, reverses. He is fast and makes people miss in space. And any kid named “Ace” can play for me.

• Spitblood says:

I shit my pants mid highlight. Ace is the place for ass rockets.

Ace scored 13 TDs in the receiving game too.
        My guess is, we had Kaep give him some rocket balls prior to the Combine as a test drive.

But definitely, Ace is my guy for PR duties.

He tanked the 40 in Indy, running in the 4.5s.
        That should keep him flying under the radar.
        I want him in Rd 4 or 5.

Dustin and Ace ranked 1 – 2 in the nation last year for Return yards.
      Ace had a very respectable 14.8yds/ret and, totaled 429 yds and 2 TDs on Punt returns.
      He only had 1 KR so it looks like LMJ can keep that job with Kyle if we add Ace.

Screw Ginn too, while we’re at it.

15 picks not gonna make the team? My ass rocket,12th. This draft is loaded with talent. Now I see why Baalke let so many guys walk. We’ll find better talent, and cheaper, in this year’s draft. I’m pumped! Fuck Seattle… and don’t sleep on the Rams either. They just picked up Jake Long to neutralize Aldon Smith. And last year, Aldon had a tough time against Long. The Rams will be legit under Fisher soon, if not this year. The NFC West is the best division in football, hands down.

Not to mention bumping guys like Parys off the Roster with younger competition also.
      No way we spend all 14 remaining Picks.
      Baalke will parlay them into moves around the Board and, quite possibly, some deals into the 2014 Draft.

If you really want to drool, next year DE Jadeveon Clowney from SCar is coming out.
      6’6” 250. Makes Mario Williams look like a Girl Scout.
      Kid is an absolute freak.

Can’t see anyone holding the 1st Pick next year giving him up but…?
      Look what happened to Lattimore.

Not to mention St Louis will likely grab Vaccaro and perhaps even consider Tavon Austin or a stud OG.
      Rams gave us fits last year.
      I wouldn’t sell them short at all.

The NFC West is likely the NFC Best now.

Spit that’s not a rocket sticking out your ass, it’s your tongue. 15 picks not gonna make the team? Of course not. I will go further 15 picks won’t happen. 8/9 is my guess.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Aldon Smith had 6 tackles and 2 sacks against the Miami Dolphins.
      Is that your idea of being neutralized?

Jake Long is already breaking down.
    I’m all for getting some beef for this D-Line next month.
    Margus Hunt is definitely on my list, along with DT Jesse Williams.

I’m drooling for a shot at OLB Jamie Collins too.

• Spitblood says:

I’m not a Margus Hunt fan at all. And I disagree about our 14 picks. I know it’s nice to package ‘em up, but look at the talent and look at our needs.
      Team needs:
      Safety to replace Goldson
      Safety to replace Whitner
      Corner to replace Rogers
      NT to replace Soap
      DT to replace Justin
      RB to replace Brandon Jacobs
      WR (or even two) to replace Boldin/ Moss, and replace Manningham and Williams
      PR to replace Ginn
      3rd String QB
      Place kicker

That’s eleven guys. Sure, we could package up two or three and still cover all our needs, but with this draft, and how deep it is, I think the 49ers should look at trying to use all 14 picks. The downside to that is if we hit an absolute draft day homerun and say 11 or 12 made the team, we’d have a lot of guys becoming free agents unless we restructured or extended contracts. I’m sure Baalke could find a way around a free agent log jam. I hopin’ we use as many of those picks as we can and not package ‘em up. Trade ‘em for future picks works, though.

Gonna make for an interesting Draft weekend one way or another.

Margus is an excellent athlete.
        Not a polished football player yet, very raw but powerful just the same.
        If you steal him in Rd 2 and put a guy like Richard Seymour alongside of him throughout Camp you’d get an instant return on the Pass Rush rotation.

Then, I’d look at a kid like Devin Taylor from SCar as a development option for the near future.
        Plenty of depth in all the places we need to shop.
        Can’t wait to see how Baalke goes about working the Board.

Jesse Williams for Justin Smith.
        Ice is likely replaced with Dorsey for now, perhaps adding Brandon Williams or John Jenkins at the NT position in April.
        Brandon Jacobs could be replaced with Le’Veon Bell.
        Ace for Ginn
        CB Robert Alford or another CB for the slot.
        Reid/TJ etc will be on the radar for sure to handle the future for our S needs.
        Definitely see a slot WR and a TE too.

I’m thinking we use 8-9 Picks and parlay the remainder into moves for both ’13 and ’14.

*a lot of guys becoming free agents at the “same time” even if we staggered contracts.

The immediate future means getting good, young, inexpensive talent on the Roster and, having Cap Coins for Kaep and Crabs.

In Baalke I trust.

One thing you have to like about Ace is, he runs North and South and isn’t afraid of running in traffic.
    He shows good hands and threw some TD passes also.
    The sort of versatility Roman and Harbaugh certainly seek on Offense.

66. Alleykat says:

Screw the 14 picks.We are up to 17 picks now!!
    Niners awarded 3 Compensation Picks.
    1st pick at the end of rd 4
    2 picks at the end of rd 7
    Damm that’s alot of picks to wheel and deal with on draft day.
    Niners resigned Paryl Harrison(sp?)as well today on the cheap,1.3 mil chance to bump it up to 1.7 with incentives.

I like the Haralson signing saving a mil + on a one year only deal.

Comp Picks are nice certainly, the big problem is, you have no leverage with them.
      Can’t deal them.
      Those 7′s basically become valuable for fringe guys you may have trouble luring as UDFAs.

They do allow us the flexibility to package other Picks of course without losing position within the Rds.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Those compensatory 7th rounders are good for raw guys like basketball players you plan to convert to Tight Ends, Long Snappers and Kickers.

Didn’t 14 picks include the expected 3 compensatory picks already?

Parys is playing his final Season in SF, if he can survive the competition in Camp.
    I want Baalke to grab OLB Jamie Collins as a possible upgrade to the position.

I don’t think the 49ers need anymore linebackers. We don’t need more linebackers or offensive linemen. We need everything else.

If you can upgrade a position, I think you take the shot Spit.

Brooks and Haralson have some mileage of course.
      Can’t have enough young talent behind them IMO.

With the Comp Picks we received, you can take some late Rd chances.
      Those Picks have to be spent. Can’t deal them.

Cam Johnson/Darius Fleming were budget minded Picks last year.
      No guarantee either will survive another round of Camp Competition.

Jamie Collins is very athletic, not something I’d associate with Parys at this point.
      My guess is, Collins won’t get out of the 2nd Rd.
      I read that Indy is very interested and, they gave him an extended workout already.
      If we miss on him, Zaviar Gooden is another speedy tackling machine I wouldn’t mind having.

Our Special Teams will benefit until it’s time to rotate them into active duty.

Haggans is as good as gone and, who knows about Grant at this point either?

I don’t think Parys gets enough credit on this blog. He’s not Aldon Smith, but who is? And he knows the players, the team, the defensive design…… and he’s cheap. And he’s a backup. I just don’t see drafting OLBs when we have Parys, Aldon, Brooks and Cam Johnson. Even at inside linebacker we have Patrick, Bowman and maybe Larry Grant will re-sign for peanuts. If not, we just signed that special teamer to backup Bowman and Willis. I bet we can get an unrestricted free agent in here late, or an undrafted player to backup Bowman and Willis.

If I was Baalke, I wouldn’t spend a moment looking at O line or linebacker. We already, in my opinion, have plenty invested there. And I like that that’s our priority on D and O. But now’s the time to create real depth else where. Just my two cents.

Haralson is fine as a 1st down LB. I think he should return to his role of 25%-30% of the snaps. Much lilke Fred Dean never started a game, he still got the bulk of the playing time. The situation would be ideal for Aldon. Say what you will about his productivity dropping when J Smith went down, the wear-and-tear factor played inbto it as well.

Grant likely won’t find a big deal out there. I hope he stays. He filled in very well for Willis in 2011. In fact, giving him some more time and resting Willis wouldn’t be a bad idea.

72. Grumpy Guy says:

Cross posted from Skeebers… here is what we have right now.

1 – 31 – (31) –
    2 – 3 – (34) – *Choice from Kansas City (with conditional 2014 choice for QB Alex Smith)
    2 – 31 – (63) –
    3 – 12 – (74) – *Choice from Carolina (with 49ers’ 2012 No. 6 draft choice for 49ers’ 2012 No. 4 draft choice)
    3 – 31 – (93) –
    4 – 31 – (128) –
    4 – 34 – (131) – #Compensatory Selection
    5 – 24 – (157) – *Choice from Indianapolis (with 49ers’ 2012 No. 4 draft choice for 49ers’ 2012 No. 4 choice)
    5 – 31 – (164) –
    6 – 12 – (180) – *Choice from Miami (with Dolphins’ 2012 No. 4 and Saints’ 2012 No. 6 draft choices for 49ers’ 2012 No. 4 choice)
    TRADED – 6 – 31 – (199) – Traded to Baltimore Ravens (for WR Anquan Boldin)
    7 – 21 – (227) – *Choice from Cincinnati (for S Taylor Mays)
    7 – 31 – (237) –
    7 – 40 – (246) – #Compensatory Selection
    7 – 46 – (252) – #Compensatory Selection

We have plenty of ammo to move around if the right guys are there. Not only in the first round, but in the middle of the draft as well.

New thread it up.