Breaking News! AJs in Da House! Uh, Gym . . .

Oft-maligned AJ Jenkins showed up in Atlanta to work out with Colin Kaepernick. Kappy, seen here hanging with the flotus (http://instagram.com/p/WVGSuGNBNd/) will hopefully get back to Atlanta and get AJ on schedule to make an impact this season. He’d better be all in, otherwise he’ll be cast out with the rest of the WR corps.

As it is now, the Niners need to pick up at least 4 WRs. Mossy Randy and Ted Ginn will go their own way, and  Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are coming off pretty substantial injuries.

In other words, we are back to ground zero in regards to wideouts. Crabs had a very good year, and Manningham was doing very well before he was injured. He’s got the longest rehab, and last I heard he was out of his cast and boot, but other than that, no idea. The WRs in the draft aren’t fairly impressive, but there are some intriguing FAs out there.

Namely, the guy I liked in the 2008 draft, Ramses Barden out of SLObispo. He’s 6’6″ and is buried on the Giants depth chart. He had one start and had 9 catches for 138 yards. Decent route-runner who has great hands. He’d be a red zone wonder. The other guys are either very pricey (Mike Wallace, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Greg Jennings) or very brittle (Danny Amendola, Danario Alexander). Dwayne Bowe is available. How good is Bowe? He puts up big numbers, but I haven’t seen him play. I hear things like he doesn’t go after balls and is overrated but who knows? he’d help, but again, he’d be a big $$$ guy.  Not sure if he’s worth it.

There are plenty of 2nd-tier guys like Brian Hartline, Michael (Hey!) Spurlock, Manny Sanders, and David Nelson who could be signed fairly cheaply to provide depth.  I’m sure there are fliers in the draft we could get, but I haven’t looked into that yet.

About these ads

138 Responses to Breaking News! AJs in Da House! Uh, Gym . . .

1. Alleykat says:

Heard Rumour Niners could be looking at WR Danny Amendola (yes the midget reciever who shredded the Niners D last year) as a slot reciever.
    Yeah he’not the big guy we all crave,but when healthy (key word healthy) can produce Ala Wes Welker.Great hands,possession reciever,not breakaway speed though.Gee sounds like Crabtree.

2. Grumpy Guy says:

Breakaway speed is overrated for a third WR. Give me a quick guy who can get open and make catches to move the chains. It’s all about sustaining drives.

The 49ers draft and off season are a complete mystery to me. I know everything, so the prior statement should come as a surprise to some not named my nemesis – “Touchdown Unca Tommy.” Regardless what the 49ers do in free agency and the draft, the team is in a good position to upgrade it’s talent straight across the board. We know the O line is set, and so are our linebackers. We could use more talent at the skill positions on offense, and on the D line and secondary. It doesn’t take a genius to see where we are lacking and need help.

Harbaalke just need to take a long term approach to continuing to upgrade talent. No quick hitters like Revis or mortgaging for a win now strategy. That never seems to work. Re-sign your own, do your due diligence in the draft, and don’t be afraid to gamble a little bit. Conservative is good, but afraid to pull the trigger isn’t. I love me some Star – even with the heart issue. It’s curious to me that nobody is sharing their thoughts on Star’s condition. And by “nobody,” I don’t mean other teams, but other media outlets. Some sports journalist should be giving us some insight as to what his heart condition could mean to the NFL. If Star drops from top five to top fifteen, I’m hoping the 49ers seriously consider moving up to grab him. Mike Mayock is making a case for Star as a DE in a 3/4, but Mayock also says Star’s versatile. I could see Star starting at DE, then moving to the NT position in time.

And really, if you were to pin point the 49ers’ biggest need, I’d argue it’s replacing Soap. The NT in a 3/4 makes a huge impact on the game. I’d love for Harbaalke to find us a world beater at the nose this off season. But like I wrote before, Harbaalke could go in any direction with their first two picks – WR, DT, CB and Safety are my bets for the first round and early second.

You’ll have to excuse me, I’m still suffering from PTSBLSD.
    Post-Traumatic Super Bowl Loss Stress Disorder.

I wish I was joking.

• NoFear49er says:

Dennis, flash message follows:
      “You had best un-fuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your neck!”

The plan to bring in a top FA WR should include some plays to get him the ball lest he mentally check out from too many decoy wind sprints and downfield blocking duties.

Sopoaga had a good year in the base package, in 2011, not so much last year, when he was in, and we played a lot of nickel with “Isaaco” on the sidelines. He was not as good at NT as Aubrayo Franklin. Not sure why Isaaco didn’t rotate in for Justin, but we do need a better nose in our base 3-4 than RJF.

Right, no fear. Soap played in about 30%of the defensive plays last year. Given that most teams are opening things up, soap, or his replacement, won’t be seeing the field all that much anyway. Yeah,we need to replace him, but we need upgrades/depth across the whole d line.

To have a nemesis, spotty, you need to do a better job of keeping up. Shoe-tying is also your nemesis . . .

Alex Smith will be cut….Alex Smith will get 4mil a year…You would have to be a genius to see that coming, a real talent guru, as well has have your finger on the pulse of the current NFL marketplace.

• Spitblood says:

I wouldn’t pay Smith a pack of gum to qb my team.

Yet by all accounts the guys that do this for a living have given up as much as 2 2′s.
        You blind yourself Spit. Hard to take you seriously when you obviously missed by a country mile with this call.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t care if I missed by twice that much. I simply wouldn’t have traded for Alex Smith. I think it’s exactly this reason that Andy Reid was fired by the Eagles. He makes bad decisions. Let’s not forget that Reid took his O line coach and turned him into a D coordinator after Jeffrey Lurey (sp?) spent millions on guys like Nnamdi and company. If you’re going to bring in the dream team in free agency, you better have great coaches at the positions and particularly at the coordinator spots to handle the drastic change in team chemistry. Bad decision making on Andy’s behalf is what cost him his job in Philly. Who knows what Andy’s record will be in KC? But the Chiefs have a lot of talent.

That’s not to say I don’t love that we got compensated. Obviously I do. It’s also not to say Andy won’t have success in KC. But a Super Bowl? Only if Andy finds a replacement for Smith fast and develops the guy. Smith isn’t a Super Bowl caliber qb, and that’s what this game is all about….. and that’s why I wouldn’t have traded for Smith. Teams need to decide whether or not they want to compete for Super Bowls, or just entertain the fans. I think Andy’s an entertainer. Smith is a stepping stone. The Chiefs were just 2-14, but they’re loaded with talent that’s been hurt. There record with Smith next year should jump to something like 8-8 or even 9-7, contending for the playoffs. But Super Bowls over the next three years? Doubtful unless they change the qb.

Trading 2 2′s means they don’t view Smith as a stepping stone Spit, that’s starter level trading. Reid has been a consistently successful coach. The idea that teams are not trying to attain a SB win is a dumb one, the NFL enacted the salary cap to try to level the playing field so the dynasty teams don’t control the SB and to a large degree it has worked. A SB is the holy grail but damn near impossible to get even if you have all the right ingredients, coaching, players, stadium income, solid fan base, ownership, GM and to some degree or other most teams are lacking in some departments. Fixing teams top to bottom to make a run at a title is extraodinarily difficult.
        The Niners had almost everything going for them and came up a hair short. They have a better shot than most to get a SB win in the next couple of years but that’s hardly a guarantee, does that mean they are playing for entertainment purposes only?

What did Steve Young say before the Packers’ game? “Getting home with your four down linemen – that’s the secret sauce.” With Justin Smith’s injury, the 49ers needed to blitz in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Ray McDonald is solid. Isaac and Justin are getting old, with Isaac potentially being shown the door. So, for my money, the 49ers’ greatest need isn’t in the secondary, but it’s along the D line.

The New York Giants won two Super Bowls with pressure on Tom Brady. Guys like Tuck, Osi and JPP got all the glory, but the real warriors were guys like Canty, Rocky Bernard, Cofield and even Shaun Rogers (who was hurt most of the time). The Giants know that if DTs beat their men, the outside pass rusher like Osi, Tuck and JPP are that much more dangerous, thus making their lacking secondary better as well.

This is why the Giants just had Cullen Jenkins in a for a look just recently, and why right now, the 49ers and Seahawks are having Jenkins in for a look this weekend as well. The 49ers are weak along the D line. With Justin Smith’s injury, the 49ers needed to get pressure on the qb with blitzes. Aldon’s game was off, the secondary was exposed. All of that started with Justin’s injury, so it underscores the need for a pass rush right up the middle. For my money, if Cullen Jenkins looks good, I sign him. But I don’t stop there. If Star’s heart condition checks out as something teams can work with, and the heart condition is manageable and doesn’t rapidly regrade, I move up to grab Star to eventually replace Justin Smith. Justin, Ray, Cullen and Star would automatically make our secondary light years better. And as we saw, like the Giants, inside pressure makes Aldon and Brooks that much more dangerous. Pressure, pressure, pressure. But not with OLBs……. The pressure needs to come from right up the middle I hope that’s where Harbaalke focuses on upgrading this team this off season. But again, I have no clue what Harbaalke will do.

• Spitblood says:

Actually, I have to correct myself. I think Shaun Rogers was on the Saints last year and hurt, but was just signed by the New York Giants this off season. I’m not sure, but it once again underscores the importance of having dominant DTs. The Giants know what they’re doing along the D line. Hope the 49ers can grab Cullen Jenkins before Seattle gets ‘em. And I think Seattle is just trying to leverage up Cullen’s payday, making the 49ers pay more for his services because Seattle has Mebane, Red Bryant and Alan Branch.

So your thinking of a scheme change to 4-3 after the year Aldon just had?

• Spitblood says:

Not at all. What give you that idea?

• Grumpy Guy says:

We actually play more nickel 4-2-5 than anything else, and I don’t see that changing.

• Spitblood says:

Versatility is the key. We need to be able to mix it up all the time. It was great that for one year we played pretty vanilla on defense and said, “Here we are….. this is what we do….. come ‘n get some.” But that won’t work forever. Versatile bodies up front mean you can disguise stuff better. Justin can play DT and DE. That’s huge. Mayock was saying Star can do the same thing….. and I’m betting because Justin can do it, and the rest of the league took notice,, Star’s secret value is really high to NFL teams in the “know.” If I’m right, teams are looking extra hard at Star’s heart condition. Personally, I’d like to know. I think Star is worth packaging up 31 and 34 for a top twenty pick. I’d have a deal worked out with a team sitting around twenty – if our guy is there, we want to trade.

It’s true Grump they do play nickel a lot, but Aldon is on the field either way. Spit lays out a plan not to have OLB rushing the QB. Aldon set records in various ways rushing the QB, imensly successful at it so why would anybody change that formula and instead use only inside pressure?

• Spitblood says:

Lol….. No, I layout a plan that has the middle of the D line being upgraded to get pressure on the qb. When the middle is more dangerous, the outside linebackers are better. And really, so are our players in the secondary. The Giants don’t take JPP or Tuck off the field (and I wouldn’t take Aldon off), but the Giants value studs in the middle like Rogers, Cofield and Canty. That’s where I’d focus my attention this off season. Cullen Jenkins would be a nice start.

I seem to remember National Football Post extolling the virtues of Matt Scott and his possible landing sites.

The Cards release CB Gay. I hope Gay replaces Culliver. Just for the laughs.

10. Grumpy Guy says:

If Gay was on top of Culliver on the depth chart, his head might explode. Gay on top, Chris. That’s as bad as it gets. LOL

But I still think Culliver will come back better next year. Whitner, not so much.

11. Alleykat says:

Culliiver & Gay go to a gay bar.
    Culliver says to Gay:
    What’s the #1 pickup line at a Gay bar?
    Gay looks at Culiiver and asks what?
    Culliver answers “May I push in your stool..

“Pass over the middle…… Culliver stuck by Gay. Gay misses the ball and the man and really lays into Culliver. Culliver is on his knees in disbelief. The trainer comes out and says ‘where are you? Do you support Prop 8?’” Gay is emotional. Culliver is carted off the field by CSI SF special victims unit wearing dolphin shorts and dancing to YMCA while Culliver lies motionless on the gurney. While wearing blue blockers in the post game interview, a tear runs down Gay’s cheek as he says….. “That’s my cornerback.”

2 guys that could be around at 31 that would make me think awhile are Justin Hunter and Tavon Austin.
    No, I’m not anxious for another WR selection with a 1st Rd Pick but, either guy would fill a need.
    Austin is a weapon and would replace Ginn immediately on STs.
    He could be brought along as a WR behind Kyle.

Manningham may not be ready to play and his Contract would be something to take into account.

Hunter is the tall deep threat we covet.
    Hard to see him there at Pick 31 but, I’d have to think we’d make good use of him if he were.

We have the ammunition to deal up so, if that were to happen, I’d target Vaccaro, XRhodes and maybe, just maybe, Lotulelei if he slid out of the Top 10.
    Heart condition issues being put to rest of course.

• Alleykat says:

I think Mannigham is done personally NJ.Dude is what 33? Coming off ACL& PCL surgery.
      Yeah it’s been time and get ballsy in this draft.If they like Patterson go up and get him at #9all or go Vaccaro or the dude from Alabama the CB I’m drawing a blank on right now.
      Hey do you know much about the guy from SMU Margus Hunt? DE 6’8 275 lbs, some drafts have 49ers taking him in 2nd-3rd round.Think he’s 26in already ,could be a bust to me,guess you never know though.

Yeh Alleykat, I like Margus a lot after seeing him in Indy.
        He could easily be there for us in Rd 2 too.
        Hard to ignore a 6’8″ guy that played in the 3-4 in College and threw up 38 reps on the bench.
        Ran extremely well too. For a big dude he was smooth.

He was a Track guy before he took up football too.
        Plenty to like about the guy.
        I wouldn’t think twice about adding him.
        He’s a bit raw in football terms so we’d have to develop him some.

I wouldn’t have a problem with that either.

One other thing to consider with the NYJ, beyond all the Revis banter.
    They Draft at 9.
    I’m always open to talking to a rebuilding Team in the Top 10 when I have lots of Picks in my pocket.

Quite frankly, our Pick at 31 could be very enticing to Teams wanting to move up too.
    Waiting until Pick 34 from KC isn’t a terrible option, especially if we can grab another Pick for next year from someone.

Baalke has turned this Draft into his own personal playground.

NFP has put up it’s top 50 free agent list. Goldson is at #10 but Jarius Byrd of the Bills is rated higher at #4. Also there are 5 TE in the top 50, none named Walker and the headliner Gonzalez at 13 with Spits buddy Jared Cook next coming in at #25.

The list is here if your interested: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-NFPs-top50-free-agents-of-2013.html

• Spitblood says:

I heard the Bills franchised Byrd. Don’t know if that’s true, but it might be.

Yep, Byrd got the FTag Spit.
        See how it goes for Goldson, I’m not seeing a big payday for him myself.

I actually think Cyprien would be a nice trade off for Goldson 12th.

Similar in size, hits like a freight train and has some INTs to his credit.
      Wouldn’t have a problem selecting him.

Randy Moss just tweeted: “Wished we could’ve finished the job!!thanks for the opportunity an good luck in the future 9ers”

Moss gone, Manningham hurt, Ginn fragile…… wouldn’t be surprised at all to the see the 49ers go wide receiver if someone fell in their lap. Not saying I’d like it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Grumpy Guy says:

We might draft two WRs, but my hunch is, it will not be with our first two picks.

I agree Grump.
        Most of the WRs are gonna go in the Mid Rds I think.

I see us spending early on the Defensive side of the ball.

• Spitblood says:

I agree….. I wouldn’t go receiver either. But we’ve got two big needs – receiver and D line. I’m just saying it wouldn’t surprise me if the first overall was a receiver. What if that kid from Cal or the kid from Tennessee was there when we drafted at 31? We’d have a hard time passing up on either guy.

Randy helped in his own way with the Locker Room I think.
      Perhaps we do the same thing in FA this year with a guy like Richard Seymour.
      Get an aging Vet with the right credentials to have around for the guys we’re likely to add via the Draft.

Talking about Margus Hunt with Alleykat, he’s a raw talent who could pay huge dividends as a 5-technique DE.
      Put him in the same mix with a guy like Seymour and see what happens.

I’d give this guy 5 million per year, easy. I think he’s better than Vernon Davis. That would be an awesome combo.

All about the Cashola.
      Right guy at the right price is how Baalke works the Roster.

• Spitblood says:

He’s the right guy, there’s no doubt about that. And the price is right at 5 million per year. The only question is his availability….. looks like the Titans will franchise him.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Jared Cook is better than Vernon Davis?
      Damn you seem to really have it bad for this guy Cook but can’t produce one viable reason to support your claim.
      His stats are underwhelming.
      If you check out Cook the knock on him is he can’t block and he’s not interested in blocking.
      Good fit for the Forty Niners?
      Is this your usual bullshit?

Tell you what, there was a DT from Samford, Nick Williams, that held his own with all the big boys in terms of measureables in Indy too.

Guys like him and Brandon Williams, Bennie Logan too, could be nice options in the Mid to later Rds if we don’t grab some of the more popular names early.

Anyone know how the deal for Alex impacts the $1mil Roster Bonus he was due?
    Has Baalke managed to avoid paying it on the day FA opens on March 12?

Genius if he did.
    I thought we had to retain him with the Bonus on March 12.

WRs aren’t getting drafted tyl end of the 3rd. If they learned anything with AJ, it’s that these guys may or may not hit the ground catching passes and being dominant. They should really take a look at Ramses. The Giants aren’t too keen on keeping him, and he’s nothing if not a chuck and duck down the sideline. He’s got size and reach over everyone. Great RZ guy as well.

Seymore? Don’t see how the D line needs a presence like his. Situational maybe. Moss said all the right things until it really mattered. In the end, he ended up being his usual idiot self, so that comparison doesn’t wash. Amazing how quick one can revert to form so fast and in such a grand way. Fucking tool.

• Spitblood says:

So you make a blanket statement because AJ wasn’t ready his first year? There are plenty of examples of rookie receivers who WERE ready their rookie years. Nolan used to say some players are more NFL ready, and others aren’t. We don’t know who this next bunch of receivers will be. I tend to agree that the kids from both Cal and Tennessee respectively will be gone by 31, and that the 49ers will be looking at receivers in later rounds. But I don’t think AJ creates a rule that Harbaalke will follow from here on out. We’re going to lose Walker, Manningham is iffy, Moss is gone. Who knows about Kyle Williams? For receivers, we have Crabtree and Vernon…… and Jenkins. That’s about it. There’s a huge hole on this team still at receiver, so let’s not just come to the conclusion we aren’t going there early because nobody knows until the kids from Cal and Tennessee…. respectively……are gone.

As a general rule, guys don’t come in and dominate at WR, and the kid from Tenn is greener than your teeth. We don’t need another project. Allen’s a much better prospect, but if anyone needs a WR (hello Jets, Rams, GB and Minnesota) he’ll be gone. Besides, AJ ain’t the only example, skippy. He’s fresh in their minds though. Better to get a couple proven WRs rather than reach with their 31 for a guy like Patterson.

Simply an example of an aging Vet at a position of need Chuck.
      Like Randy, he could be a mentor figure.
      Unlike Randy, he’s got hardware from his years in NE.

Baalke usually waits until the first wave of popular FAs get signed, then he goes bargain hunting.
      We’re in a position now where we’re viewed as a contender too.
      Unlike those years when we stunk, and everyone held us hostage.

Say what you will for Moss, by all accounts, guys respected him while he was around this year.
      If those reports were accurate, AJ and Crabtree saw how he trained and conducted himself in terms of preparation.

Not so much in terms of attitude on the Field.

Yeafh, free agency starts March 12. The mill doesn’t kick in til March 14th. So they get something like a $10 mill cap reduction by trading Smith with all the contingencies thrown in.

Cool thx Chuck.
      Excellent news for us in terms of saving some Cap space while also moving on from Alex.

If this guy’s there at 31, I don’t think the 49ers can go wrong drafting him. He’s exactly the type of receiver we need – big body, leaper with hands. I wouldn’t have any problem with the 49ers drafting him at 31 or 34….. provided he’s there.

Spitty, there are too many teams (see above) that need a WR. He’s the only good one (1st round worthy) worth that pick. If he’s there, great. but i’d say there’s a 99.5% chance he’s gone.

And I don’t seriously think we trade up to get him.

• Spitblood says:

There are two other receivers who are first round grades. In the later half of the first round the Vikings and Seahawks need receiver help. So, all three receivers could be gone by 31, no doubt. And I’m with you,Chuck and Grump, that odds are we pickup other receivers later because these guys are all gone. And I also agree we shouldn’t trade up. But…. let’s not forget what the Falcons did for Julio Jones, and we could get Allen for a lot cheaper. Trading up to say the Bengals pick (who don’t need receivers and pick ahead of the Vikings and Seahawks) might be something Baalke does. It really just depends on whether or not Allen is healthy (he’s coming off a knee injury and didn’t workout at the combine). I don’t think much of Kyle Williams as a receiver. Moss is gone. Manningham is hurt and might not be ready for the season…. or ever again. Walker will probably be a cap casualty. Our receivers right now are Crabtree, Vernon and AJ Jenkins. That’s not depth. Again, I’m not saying we should do this. but it wouldn’t surprise me if we traded with a team like the Bengals to get Keenan Allen in the first round. I’d rather we had him than the Seahawks.

I can’t see a Trade Up scenario in Rd 1 for a WR either.
        Too many Mid Rd guys to choose from.

Justin Hunter from TN would be an example, as would De’Andre Hopkins from Clemson.
        I like Hunter, just not sure if we’d see him at the end of Rd 2. Tavon Austin is ranked by most sources as a 1st Rd talent with the only knock being his height.
        What he lacks in size he makes up for in sheer production.
        Like LMJ, he makes people miss because of his ability to change direction like a cheetah.

Hunter was a Track guy too.
        Excellent vertical and flat out speed.

Another guy that deserves some consideration is Josh Boyce from TCU.
        Smaller speed guy that also put up very impressive numbers.

I think we’ll get a WR or 2 from this Class.
        Hard to say how high Baalke will rate them this year but, there’s plenty of depth beyond Rd 1.

Minnesota and GB are desperate for wideouts irregardless of StL, the Jets, and Chicago. And Allen is the only guy I’d go after. The others are too raw. Austin has speed, but what else? That’s the only reason he’s jumped in the ratings.

The point being, Allen won’t make it to seattle’s pick.

• Spitblood says:

If I was Baalke, I’d at least talk with the Bengals about trading for their pick. What can it hurt? Allen isn’t a top fifteen receiver. He might not be top twenty.

Chuck Tavon Austin had over 3400 receiving yards and 29 TDs in College.
      He is Welker with P/KR ability.

Straight up weapon.
      I like him more because of Kaeps’ ability to stick a throw too.

• Spitblood says:

The Rams have a lot of “other” needs. Jeff Fisher isn’t the type of guy to go receiver until his team is set, and even then he doesn’t go receiver early. If Chicago doesn’t go offensive line they’re the dumbest organization since the Raiders. And really, they might now hold that crown hiring Mark Trestman. LMAO!!!! Chicago will go O line or Cutler will revolt. The Jets just used a first round pick on a receiver last yea in Stephen Hill (sp?), and they have so many holes on their roster they make Swiss Cheese jealous….. in addition, they have Sanchez and Garrard. They need a run game. Not a passing game.

Green Bay needs defense, unless you missed the Niners / Packers game. They’ve lost Woodson and their D line and linebacking corp stinks on ice. Sure, they’re losing Driver, Jennings and Finley isn’t a team player, but they still have offensive weapons with Finley, Cobb and Nelson…. and the used car salesman. That’s more firepower than the 49ers have on offense, with a ton of holes on defense. I think Ted Thompson goes D with his first round pick.

The teams that you mentioned who will go wide receiver in the draft are Minnesota (because they have a complete team and just need a wide receiver, and Seattle (who you didn’t mention). Just jump ahead of them at the last minute and grab Allen. Not too difficult to figure out.

He’s as high as he goes. The Jets could take him with the 9th pick.

I’d laugh my butt off too Chuck.
      Sanchez can’t hit anyone.
      They’d be better off sticking to the Defensive side early in this Draft.

• Spitblood says:

So with all the holes the Jets have on their team, your strategy is to get two terrible qbs a wide receiver to compliment Hill and Dustin Keller? That’s like getting Alex Smith a Micheal Crabtree. How’d that workout for five years? LOL. Amazing coincidence that Crabtree took off when Kaep took over. The Jets aren’t going wide receiver in the first….. neither are the Rams, Bears or Packers. The Jets need a run game and a defense.

Rams will address the OL and Secondary early IMO.
        They could grab a WR if Amendola moves on though.
        Wouldn’t surprise me.
        I’d like to get in front of them if it meant having a shot at Rhodes or Vaccaro.

Question is of course, does Baalke put value on either guy that high?

With the Picks last year of AJ and LMJ, I think there is a definite indication that Harbaugh and Roman are looking for speed.
    I wouldn’t mind adding more on the Offensive side but, I think we can get it later.

• Spitblood says:

NJ – I think so too. At least I hope so. But here’s the thing. From what I can tell, there’s a lot of talent for teams in the later rounds this year. You never know when there will be a run on a particular position. Sometimes teams get focused on offensive tackles. I remember the year Micheal Oher came out there were a lot of other tackles in the draft and they all went quick. I called it. I almost made a bet with Del that five or six tackles would go in the top ten. They almost did. Micheal Oher dropped to the Ravens at 22 or something. I didn’t bet with Del, and was lucky.

Then two years ago I was saying there would be a run on quarterbacks. I said Locker was a top ten pick and still think he’s worthy of his selection. I said Dalton was a first round pick. Again, I was closer than most but this time I made the mistake of betting with the opportunistic Del whose alcoholic nose knows when there’s blood in the water and you can literally get drunk off hyperbole.

This year what I’m saying is that Baalke had better trust his draft board because a good cornerback, safety, D lineman or wide receiver could fall right in his lap while other teams are going after a particular position. Would I love for the 49ers to jump up and grab Star? You bet. But sitting and waiting could land the 49ers a huge hall…. and that’s exactly what I’m betting they do. If a guy like Keenan Allen falls in their laps, you don’t pass him up.

Counting your almost-got-it-rights?

That’s where these GMs earn their paychecks Spit.
        Knowing how to place value on a guy and slot him.

Star could be the guy that slips a little, but probably not much.
        His situation is all about the medical.
        Unlike a knee, he’s either cleared or he isn’t.
        There won’t be much waffling on that.

Allen had a knee already, tough call on his medical but I agree, his numbers were above average but, he didn’t run in Indy.

If I was a betting man and he made it to 31 with Tavon, I’d bet on Tavon simply because he’s more versatile.

I’ve changed my posture a little now that Alex is moving on.
        Kaep may not need the tall WR as much as Alex might have.
        Kaep can throw to a spot and allow his WR to get there.
        Remember that throw he made to Kyle? Bears game?
        Thing of beauty.

Because the depth at WR looks heavier in the Mid Rds, I think we can wait for someone.

• Spitblood says:

Chuck – I was light years ahead of you.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

2009 NFL Draft
        How did 5 or 6 tackles go in the top ten when only 3 were chosen in the top ten and 4 total in the entire first round? Of the first 50 picks 6 were Offensive Tackles
        Man you are just full of shit with your I got it right back then claims of BS that you called it.

Star, for all his troubles won’t last past 15.. The draft board is dogshit for the first 20 picks. But the middle to back end is full of talent. This, along with the Alex Smith deal, could not have worked out any better. Some luck? Sure, but Baalke has done a superb job in his short time as GM.

DIdn’t know Austin had those numbers, NJ. I saw Allen a little and he looked like the real deal.

My oldest Son is a WVU Alum Chuck, we tend to watch them as often as we can.
      Austin is like Sonic the Hedgehog out there.

Honestly, he comes to play.
      I could see Harbaugh and Roman having a good time with him in this Offense.

Guys like Swope and Tavon are starting to gain traction in the NFL now.
      More and more Teams like to spread and attack from the slot.

Speed kills. Deep threats are necessary but, so are those 6′ guys who change direction like waterbugs.
      Put that kinda guy on a LB, game over.
      Having a dart thrower like Kaep makes it all the more attractive.

Wide receiver is one of the…. if not “the,” … last positions a team should draft. Building a team is like conducting a concert, and it’s why I’m so pissed I’m not a GM. Maybe in another life.

If you were to take a team that really sucks….. like the Jets. In fact, let’s take the Jets… please…. and my wife. The very first thing you do with the Jets is build their offensive line. As we saw with the 49ers, it takes a while for an offensive line to jell. You need to weed out the stinkers. You need to create line chemistry. It’s a process and it takes a while. After you have some nice pieces in place along the O line, you can find running backs in the later rounds who can pound the rock and move the chains. Guys like Arian Foster, Blount, Gore, the used car saleman are out there.

After you’ve established a run game, then you can go play action and you can draft a tight end. Not a wide receiver, a tight end. You don’t have to have a qb yet because any scab qb can hit a tight end off play action.

Then you start building your defense. You obviously first go with D linemen. Once they can plug the holes and keep guards off backers, then you draft linebackers. In the NFL you can always find guys to play any position, and sometimes you find gems while focusing your attention else where. Goldson was a fourth round pick. Brown was a fifth round pick. And there’s always free agency. But what I’m writing about right now is where you focus your attention on the draft when your team sucks. It all starts with running the football, and stopping the run. Then, when your team can run and stop the run, that’s when you start developing your passing game, and start trying to defend the pass.

And that’s why I hated Alex Smith so much. The 49ers were good in all other aspects of their football team, but they couldn’t throw the football. They could run, go play action, defend the run and defend the pass, but the qb wasn’t getting the job done. The team grew past Alex Smith’s abilities and luckily Harbaugh had a plan for that and he brought in Kaep a little late for my taste.

Either way, the passing game is one of the last things a team develops (like the 49ers are still trying to do), because smart teams that are building play Bill Parcels, ball control football, without high risk passes to wide receivers that might get returned for touchdowns. Some teams, like the Niners with Smith and even the Houston Texans now, can’t play from behind because they don’t have good enough passing attacks.

But the interesting thing is that teams can get too focused on the pass and forget about their defense entirely. This is what happened to the Packers and Lions – although the Lions tried to skip the “we’re good part,” and went right to passing…… again. The Packer had a good defense when they won the Super Bowl, but lost some of their defensive players like the recently visited Cullen Jenkins, and instead of replacing those defensive players, they fell in love with their passing game. Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson were both guilty of thinking their passing game would overcome defensive deficiencies. Two years ago the Packers were great during the regular season because their passing game won them games. But in the playoffs, when the Giants got to Rogers, their defense let them down. This year the Packers’ D let them down again.

The 49ers need defensive linemen and secondary players…. no doubt. But with Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Aldon, Justin and Tim McDonald, the 49ers could compete with anyone if their passing attack was a little bit better. There’s a fine line between a need for D linemen or secondary players and the 49ers’ need for a big target at the wide receiver position. For me, it’s a toss up that comes down to best player available. But I don’t think many NFL teams are ready to draft receiver in this upcoming draft. The Vikings and Seahawks are ready. The Jets, Bears, Rams and Packers aren’t.

The NYJ got D’Brick and Mangold but never solidified the OG or RT positions.
      I’m with you, OL / DL is where you build from.

We’re now down to a young starting OC to complete the youth movement up front.
      OGs are where you make the running game go.
      You need athletes that can hit a moving target.
      Anthony Davis is a stud on the move.
      He lacked balance in pass Pro but is coming along very well.

Are we sliding Kilgore or Looney to OC?
      Guessing it’s Kilgore with Looney fighting Alex Boone for the RG posiition.
      That could mean Goodwin is on the bubble already.

Otherwise, I’m down for stealing Barrett Jones, Travis Frederick or Brian Schwenke in April.

• Spitblood says:

The 49ers do need to make a decision on Goodwin, and someone just wrote a nice piece on other NFL teams dumping their high priced centers. Problem is, Kaep’s young. He might need Goodwin for another year. I could see, though, Harbaugh trusting Solari and dumping Goodwin in favor of Slowey or Kilgore to save some cap space.

Keep JC Tretter in mind in April too Spit.
        He’s a guy that looked pretty impressive at the Sr Bowl and could make an excellent swing OL-man for us.

Kind of a tweener OT/OG guy. Moved very well.
        Certainly won’t cost us much either.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

Jason Slowey plays Offensive Tackle. Forty Niners cut him in August 2012.
        He is now a member of the Oakland Raiders. How do you expect him to play Center for the Forty Niners as a member of the Raiders and as an Offensive Tackle?

GB, Detroit and NYJ don’t have a solid running threat either.
      Teams sit on the pass and usually shut them down.

We have balance. We also have speed. We lack a deep threat.
      Most definitely see us shopping for that piece this Spring.
      I also think Lockette is in the plans for that position as well.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Tim McDonald? Is he making a comeback out of retirement? Isn’t he 50 years old?

Hey Spit I’ve started checking into the QB Class a little more.
    Since there was really no reason to look until you mentioned Matt Scott, I’ve been ignoring them for the most part.

Have you seen the kid from So Utah, Brad Sorensen? 6’5″ 230
    Over 9400 yds passing on 1254 attempts. 65+ Comp pct too. 61 TDs too.
    Get this, he red shirted a yr and transferred from JUCO and put those numbers up in 3yrs.

SICK.

I’d add him to the list of project QBs just to see what Harbaugh could get out of him.

32. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

It is way too easy and not much of a challenge to match wits with you because you have no game.
    Of teams needing a wide receiver you forgot one team that traded away Brandon Marshall and are losing their top receiver Hartline to free agency.
    Foolish of you to omit Miami from teams looking at receivers but omission and selective memory are your strongest attributes in an otherwise empty toolbox.

33. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood wants tosign Jared Cook to a 5 million dollar per season long term contract.
    Jared Cook is a Tight End who doesn’t block and has made little effort to improve.
    A four year career averaging 32 balls caught a year and 2 Touchdowns.
    So why on earth does Cook deserve 5 million dollars?

Excellent article by Sando. The article underscores the even higher priority of coaching youngsters and drafting well. Could mean goodbyes to guys like Goodwin, Haralson, Akers, Soap, Ricky, Moss and others. Not a big deal if you draft well. It could also mean the 49ers don’t trade up at all and use all of their 15 picks on guys the coaching staff needs to train and coach-up in a hurry.

Hey TT, how about less criticism of others and less bullshit. Yer acting like bullit again.

Spit this Draft is the turning point of 8+ years of futility for us.
    Baalke has stockpiled multiple Picks to flip this Roster and get younger.

I have no problems moving up, down or, sideways, if the right guys are obtained.

FA is becoming the modern age Plan B, where Teams are unloading the older higher priced, less productive Contracts, in exchange for the Rookie Capped younger talent, that bring speed and versatility to the game

Goldson will be a perfect example to watch.
    He’s a scheme specific fit with us.
    I don’t see him as a solid SS or a versatile, rangy FS.
    He’s got limitations elsewhere IMO.

Not to say someone won’t overspend.
    Been done plenty of times before but, I seriously think the FA Mkt is correcting in a big way.

Jake Long thinks he’s worth $14Mil/yr.
    Flacco just signed for $20Mil/yr.
    All we can do at this point is to sit back and wait for the bargains as guys get desperate.
    After the Draft casualties will only serve to further water down the Mkt.

• Spitblood says:

NJ – The more I read today about the salary cap, the more I think the 49ers should just use all their 15 picks and dump Soap, forget Walker, dump Goodwin, Manningham, Akers, Rogers, Goldson, Moss and other and honestly go with a youth movement while also forgetting free agency.

Could very well go that route Spit.
        We discussed Goodwin last night a little.
        If there’s a younger guy, (Kilgore?) ready, I’m sure it’ll happen.

Baalke has done a great job of buying time with FA Vets, while getting youth developed behind them.
        This Draft is just a larger scale opportunity to do that in all the areas we need to have it done in.

I don’t see 15 Picks being used as much as I see the Picks used to further stockpile for the future.
        We have leverage on Draft Weekend by having them.
        Baalke knows what he’s shopping for and isn’t afraid to jump around the Board.

I don’t see a RB in the mix so much as I think he’ll grab an OT bargain if he has the chance.

I’m higher now on SMU DE Margus Hunt after seeing him in Indy too.

He could be the Baalke equivalent to Walsh’s Pierce Holt.
        An older College DL-man that could be used as a situational pass rusher while he develops his game further.

A converted Discus Thrower/Track athlete, he’s 6’8″ and ran a 4.6
        You can teach football.
        You can’t teach size and athleticism.

Seems to me “hitting” on your picks is less important than before as they are less damaging to the cap. I don’t see throwing over the roster for a plethora (15) of college kids Spit, as in the past a balance of youth and vets is called for. Niners already have a good group of developmental kids on the roster. I would guess Baalke will package picks for 1 or 2 targeted guys, probably 2, draft for depth after that and trade some picks for next year.
    I would target DE/DT and DB/S and only take a high WR if an unexpectedly high pick falls down the board a ways.
    Niners have cap room for 2 or 3 free agents capable of contributing now.
    I was less than impressed with Goodwin, he messed up a bunch of snaps, kind of an important skill with a pistol O.
    Goldson gets to find his value again, could well be he ends up back with the Niners again but I doubt it.
    Walker probably signs a 3 year 4 mil real contract, he and Kap are working well together and I am guessing he expects that to improve.
    Looks like Moss is gone and ditto Ginn. Manningham is a big ? Mark. KW should make it back to TC where he can fight for a roster spot. We have to hope Baalke got it right with AJ but the draft and free agency will show just how confident he really is.

Such an unpredictable draft and off season this year.

Good news for us too 12th.
      Depth in all the areas we need to shop.

Good value on the OL as well.
      No doubt we’ll find the right pieces since we really don’t have too many places to fill.

Those extra Picks also afford Baalke some latitude to overload at positions to create further competition for depth too.
      Grab a couple of each like Noah.
      It’ll shake out in Camp.

Very unpredictable draft and off season. This off season is about priorities because you’re gonna lose some people because of the low cap. I’ll be pissed if the 49ers make Delanie Walker a priority.

Delanie isn’t a major expense for us.
      I think he stays on at a comfortable Contract number.

He’s a solid guy in terms of versatility for us.

I’m wondering whether we lose both Ice and RJF actually.
      With Dobbs, Jerod-Eddie and Ian Williams waiting to step up, we certainly have capable fill ins but, will need more depth from the Draft.

RJF has versatility and provide continuity. He won;t be too expensive. They’ll probably keep him. Ice? No. FA will be used for WR at the least. Maybe a DB as well. I don;t see them going too big in FA, but drafting and keeping 15 guys ain’t happening either. Young is good, too young is crazy.

40. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Francois according to reports is being courted by Green Bay, Philadelphia and the Ravens.
    The interest escalates his value and prices him out of the Forty Niner comfort zone unless Ricky Jean likes it here and gives a hometown discount.

41. Alleykat says:

Soap will be gone.Rjf could easily bail as well if he gets a solid offer. Unless the 49ers feel Ian Williams can be serviceable they “Will” draft a NT.
    Like John Jenkins Georgia ..

The 49ers could draft and legitimately keep 15:

3 wide receivers (replacing Moss, Manningham and Kyle)
    1 tight end (Walker)
    1 running back (Brandon Jacobs)
    1 3rd string qb (Alex Smith)
    2 safeties (Trenton Robinson and Goldson)
    3 defensive tackles (take your pick – Soap, Turk, RJF, Dobbs or Ian Williams)
    1 outside linebacker (Haralson)
    1 kicker (Akers)
    2 corners (Brock, Cox or even Rogers)

There’s you 15 picks, and they could all make the team provided they aren’t duds and provided we don’t overpay for guys like Delanie Walker, RJF and others.

Remember – Dobbs, Williams and RJF were either 7th rounders or undrafted free agents.

You cannot seriously expect to fill all those spots with rookies, Spitty. They will get some FAs. Especially at wideout. And while Rogers and Whitner are slipping, they won’t simply cut them loose. They may fall down the depth chart (a la Shawntae Spencer), but they won’t be cut loose if they are under contract.

Spit, there are already 16 non starting players on the team. How many of them become starters next season? Then we have the draft where 7 or 8 will maybe 5 make the team 53 + 8 practice. Then FA guys, likely 3. After that we have undrafted guys and try outs.

The idea that this SB level team will turn over it’s roster to even half the degree you suggest at a time when the cap is not forcing the issue makes no sense.

They need to use some of the 15 picks to trade for future picks. 2014 is relatively stable but 2015 will be the more difficult year cap wise.

43. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Last season the Forty Niners had only one draft pick (James) contribute to their Super Bowl run.
    I have a hard time accepting that you would gut a Super Bowl Team and replace them with 15 rookies turning over almost one third of your roster. This dilutes your talent level to an expansion franchise.
    Remember also that their only rookie James didn’t get on the field until Game 13 against Miami.
    Sorry I just don’t see this happening and it would be a clusterfuck if it did.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Ten or twelve is not unlikely though. The salary cap is forcing our hand. You’ve got major escalation down the road with Aldon and Kappy. The team will have to work hard to keep under the cap. Higher priced vet reserves may soon be a luxury we have to do without.

• Spitblood says:

Exactly, Grump. I didn’t think Haralson would be cut, and you did. Looks like you were right. He’s not gone yet, but he’s hangin’ on by a thread. The more rookies that make the team, the better. I also incorrectly thought that the 49ers should package up picks and move up to get four or five really good players. But the reality is, the 49ers need all 15 of those picks. This could be Baalke’s most important draft. I also believe like Unca that the 49ers will bring in free agents to fill holes. But like NJ wrote, Baalke will be all about getting great deals on serviceable players. This is an important off season for the ’9ers. More important than last year, that’s for sure.

I highly doubt 10 or 12 Grump unless you think the current depth guys are likely gone.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Well, officially, we are at two now, as Alex and Akers are gone, which would almost certainly mean two spots for rookies. And neither of those is likely to be in the first four rounds. We’ll just have to see how it shakes out.

TT, the Super bowl run of the previous year had 5 rookies contribute pretty heavily. Most of the 10 made the team.

Like I said, I don’t see 15, but certainly 7 or 8 can make the grade and contribute.

45. Alleykat says:

Not surprising to anyone here, The Niners are releasing Akers prior to FA sigining / and Draft.
    They will call up Ray Wersching, Mike Choker Cofer,
    Steve Miss-A Mile and others….

You forgot Wide Richey.

And Cortez the Killer…

Niners just need to get a whole gaggle of WRs from any and every source possible, including the draft. You can’t have a guy who can sling like Kap, and have shit for wideouts and slot guys, and have TWO stonehands TEs like we’ve got. It’s just weird how they’ve been unable to get and keep a decent WR corps. It’s imperative that this be fixed. Get some big dudes who can run and catch the dang ball and run after they catch it, fer Kreissakes…

• snarkk says:

Yeah, and Keenan Allen would be great. I saw him play live at Cal about 4 or 5 games. His half brother was a crap QB, and he still caught the heck out of the ball. If he’d have had a real Div 1 QB throwin’ to him, he’d be a top 10 pick…

• Spitblood says:

Keenan Allen is exactly what we need at receiver, and again that’s why I wouldn’t rule out drafting a receiver at 31. It is a crime not to have good wide receivers with a qb like Kaep!

Keenan Allen, Xavier Rhodes, Shariff Floyd, Vacarro and Star will all probably be gone at 31. I wouldn’t hesitate to draft Frenso State’s safety Phillip Thomas in the first round if these other guys are gone. With all of our needs, trading up would be hard, but if Keenan Allen fell to 20, I’d trade up with the Bengals (if the Bengals were interested – they don’t need a wide receiver) to get Allen. If Allen or Rhodes or Star don’t fall, I’d have Phillip Thomas as my fall back option.

David Akers, whose season started out with an epic NFL record-tying 63 yarder in the elements in game 1 of the 2012 season in Green Bay, will be cut shortly if you believe the rumors now swirling.

No tag on Goldson, as expected….. thus far. And no tag on my boy, TE Jared Cook. He might not be as expensive as some might think. Not a lot of teams out there with salary cap room. Goldson could find himself taking less than the 8 million per year he wants. Getting close to high drama time in the NFL. Lol…. Goldson just can’t seem to catch a financial break. Not the year to be looking for a big deal.

Unless yer Joe Flacco.

Shit, even Brady only went 9 mill this year. Don’t think Goldson gets 6, let alone 8.

Don’t forget the salaries of all those drafted rookies have to fit into the rookie pool.

Also it’s mainly only the top 51 salaries that count against the cap until the first day of the regular playing season.

53. Alleykat says:

Goldson won’t be tagged say the Niners and he can try an make a deal next week .Just not sure their will be takers,though he has stayed healthy and is hitting his prime right now.Hoping still they can work something out,cause now their looking at Spilman, McBath, Robinson and Thomas interanly.
    Not keen on that.Get me Jonathan Cyprien now!! Or a host of other good Safety’s.
    Or they could take a flier out on Ed Reed for a season, who knows?

New