Draft Picks, Get Yer Draft Picks . . .

The 49ers come into this upcoming FA period (starting March 4th) loaded for bear in the draft department. They have (not including their 3 compensatory picks):

1. First round, No. 31 (No. 31 overall)
2. Second round, No. 31 (No. 61 overall)
3. Third round, No. 12 (No. 74 overall): Carolina Panthers via 2012 Draft trade
4. Third round, No 31 (No. 93 overall)
5. Fourth round, No. 31 (TBA)
6. Fifth round, No. 24 (TBA): Indianapolis Colts via 2012 Draft trade
7. Fifth round, No. 31 (TBA)
8. Sixth round, No. 12 (TBA): Miami Dolphins via 2012 Draft trade
9. Sixth round, No. 31 (TBA)
10. Seventh round, No. 21 (TBA): Cincinnati Bengals via Taylor Mays trade
11. Seventh round, No. 31, (TBA)

The Niners will get a 3rd (or 4th) round comp pick plus two 7th round comps for a total of 14 draft picks. That’s a lot of bodies. And they haven’t even traded Alex Smith yet. Who knows how many picks that brings?

Anyhow, this gives Trent Baalke and the braintrust many many scenarios to pursue in order to get their desired players. Frankly, I could see them trading down and getting picks for 2014. And trading for 2014 picks with Alex. The good news for the Niners is this is not a top-heavy draft, but it is a very deep draft for their particluar needs. DL and secondary. This draft is also notable for the fact there may not be a QB taken in the 1st round. Unheard of, but possible. I mean, if Aaron Rodgers can slip to 25, Geno Smith could slide to 35. Matt (hot-tub) Barkley? Hello 47. The Niners will have six picks in the first 4 rounds. They can address their pressing need for defensive backfield help (and depth) and add more stout bodies to the D line. Maybe a DE/OLB pass rusher as well.  The mid-late rounds will be reserved for wideouts, and maybe the possible TE if the Niners don’t deal for Ertz. Not likely but possible when you look at the struggles they had in the red zone. You’d think between Crabs and VD, someone would get open, but VD was usually double covered, Crabs drew a lot of attention, Moss was a non-factor, and the rest weren’t up to the task. Also, they’ll get a kicker late. I don’t think there’s much doubt re the fate of David Akers. He of the 63 yard FG in week 1. Although if he healthys up, who knows if Jimbo lets him stay.

I of course look to NJ49er and 12th (among others) to provide the essential need-to-know guys available in the draft. Once free agency rolls around and player moves are made throughout the league, I’ll start paying attention to the mock drafts and such. I don’t know too much about the players this year, but I’ve been pretty good at assessing the Niners needs these past few years. Really!

About these ads

194 Responses to Draft Picks, Get Yer Draft Picks . . .

“What the hell” and “who knows” when it comes to the draft. I listen to everyone even Chuck’s dog for info. Watching ESPN is probably no better for info. So let it unfold the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Javis Jones is playing with fire entering the NFL. He has Spinal Stenosis. USC wouldn’t let him play. I wouldn’t draft the guy because of it. I don’t care what the doctors say. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/spinal-stenosis/DS00515

Also, Frank Gore was talking to the GameCocks running back with two knee injuries – giving him encouragement. I wouldn’t draft Lattimore either, even though we got lucky with Gore’s college injuries. Let’s not tempt fate with Lattimore (sp?).

I don’t see the team drafting a RB this year. Dixon upped his play on ST and was successful in short yardage. LMJ is a gamer and explosive and with a year under his belt I expect more from him, Hunter has plenty of time to come back from injury and was already very good prior to the injury, they have Hampton waiting in the wings and Gore just set records again and was very productive so other than finding a special teams ace that happens to be a running back I don’t see the need.

RB Le’Veon Bell 12th.
        He’s my answer to Anthony Dixon/Brandon Jacobs.
        The big body Bruiser of a Running Back these 2 guys failed to be.

No clue where he’ll slot, I’m hoping to steal him in Rd 4 or 5.
        Kid carried the load for Michigan St. 6’2″ 240+
        Carried over 650 times in just 3yrs,( coming out as a Jr.) and caught 78 for 531.

Forgot to complete my stat line on him
        He compiled close to 3400 yds which might suggest, he has some wheels.
        I’ll be looking for his contributions to the Combine.

Gore’s receptions numbers might be down in the passing game but I’m pretty sure his touches didn’t suufer. They ran him like a kid in his prime. He’s certainly not as fast as he once was but he can find and hit the hole like no other and still breaks tackles. His increased smarts compensates for his loss of speed. Pretty stupid to let him go now as long as he’s healthy, he’s still the man and the drop off to #2 is tremendous in our downhill run game.

Again, Vernon was not usually double-covered. He was taken out of the game plan is more likely. Our scouts/spies evidently thought the competition would focus on Vernon so they emphasized other options, mainly Crabs and Kaep runs.

I agree with almost all that NF except the drop off to Hunter being tremendous. Hunter was a shade behind Gore IMO.

• NoFear49er says:

12th man, I’d give Hunter the nod on outside running, but on football smarts, protection/blitz pickup, resilience and ability to play through injury Frank’s still way out in front in my estimation. The total package is why I put the drop off as tremendous. Given the chance Kendall could prove me wrong but I haven’t seen it yet.

• Spitblood says:

I agree, 12th. Hunter was terrific and he was picking up the blitz JUST AS WELL AS GORE last year. But I’m certain the 49ers will draft a running back this draft.

Wow – Scott Pioli has Sharif Floyd going 3rd to the Raiders and Star not being draft top ten.

Well so much for my darkhorse O lineman Al Netter. Caught for DUI.

Well. in Gore’s full 16 game 2006 he had 373 touches. Last season was 286, His rushing attempts per game is dropping, and his catches have dropped more.

Anyone heard how Hunter’s rehab is coming along?

• NoFear49er says:

Really? Yesterday I was guessing, thanks to your unbelievable assertion I was compelled to looked it up. You choose the only year he had more carries, his record setting year when we had no offense but him and a left side o-line to block to say his rushing attempts are dropping?

I’ve got google, too. What happened in the years in between Mr Disingenuous?

16 games-373 touches = 23 touches/game
    15-313, 21
    14-283, 20
    14-281, 20
    11-249, 22
    15-299, 19
    16-286, 17

Looks like less to me . . . 2010 Gore missed 5 games and they made up for lost time as he had a lot of passes thrown to him.

Oops. That’s 16-299 = 18

In other words, his touches per year have decreased (like I said) . A big factor being the passes not being thrown to him the past couple years.

46 in 11 games (4 per game) in 2010 to 17 in 2011(1 per game) to 28 this year (less than 2 per game).

Disingenuous, my ass.. .

• NoFear49er says:

Alright, fair enough. Touches per game are less. My point was that although the receptions have been shaved since Nolan/Singletary his carries have been upped to keep his touches about the equal. If you said touches per game not per year, I concede the point.

• Spitblood says:

Sweet mother of miracles. Next thing you know congress will start working.

Anyone see the Nascar finish today? Just flippin’ through and saw the last three laps and a one hell of a finish. Engine from a wreck ripped through the safety netting. Hope the fans brought their 3D glasses.

• Spitblood says:

Just read six fans seriously injured.

I still donl’t have a clue yet but my guess is this will one of those years where we take the best player available. We need Dline and CB’s but we always need those guys. I think we stay with the formula we’ve had for a few years. That means we draft a RB and a QB, you know we will pick up some LB’s too,

• Spitblood says:

I’ve been looking at a lot of running backs on Youtube and this draft class is stocked full of small, fast running backs like LaMicheal James….. guys who can also play in the slot and catch passes. If you’re looking for one of those, I like two guys: Kerwynn Williams (the Paint Store), and Ray Graham. Both are late round picks. But I also think there’s a very strong chance the 49ers take Wisconsin’s Bell to replace Gore.

Well, RB is pretty far down the list of needs, Spitty.

I think they go kicker at 4 before RB.

We take a RB somewhere in the first 3 rounds is my guess, Hunter might not make it back from that injury, it is a bad one.

All things are possible Winder, but without Hunter they have Gore, LMJ, Dixon and Hampton. I think Spit had a point about value, that if an outstanding RB was there they may take him but I agree with Chuck that RB is a low priority other than fate lending a hand.

• Winder says:

Hamptom is a curiosity to me and I hope he pans out. i think they keep Dixon around mostly for ST. But you could very well be right about the priority on RB’s. i do think that Harbaugh puts a very high premium on em though and nothing would really surprise me. It’s great to be in a position like this

Heard any good jokes lately? I mean besides Alex Smith.

An out-of-towner accidentally drives his car into a deep ditch on the side of an old country road. Luckily a farmer happened by with his big old horse named Benny. The man asked the farmer for help. The farmer said Benny could pull his car out. So he backed Benny up and hitched Benny to the man’s car bumper. Then he yelled, “Pull, Nellie, pull.” Benny didn’t move. Then he yelled, “Come on, pull Ranger.” Still, Benny didn’t move. Then he yelled really loud, “Now pull, Fred, pull hard.” Benny just stood. Then the farmer nonchalantly said, “Okay, Benny, pull.” Benny pulled the car out of the ditch. The man was very appreciative but curious. He asked the farmer why he called his horse by the wrong name three times. The farmer said, “Oh, Benny is blind, and if he thought he was the only horse pulling he wouldn’t even try.”

Benny sounds like me. Pull this.

Watch us grab OTJC Tretter from Cornell.
    Tretter for Netter?

If Jewel Hampton isn’t our heir apparent to Frank, keep an eye open at the Combine for RB Andre Ellington from Clemson.

Very similar in size to Frank, over 3400 yds rushing and had 59 receptions for over 500 yds and 2 TDs.
    Spells versatile workhorse to me.
    His 40 will be ironed out in Indy but is currently showing 4.4s.

KC appears to be the front runner in the Alex Smith sweepstakes.

AZ is in the mix as well. And I don;t think this braintrust cares about trading Smith to a division rival, as long as they get what they want.

From Jason Cole, Yahoo sports:

That means that the better question is where Smith will end up. Although one source said it’s far too early to guess, Kansas City appears to be the most interested team. The Chiefs are unlikely to use the No. 1 overall pick on a quarterback this year because none of the top ones – such as Geno Smith and Matt Barkley – appear to be worth it. Several head coaches and offensive coordinators this week said they wouldn’t be surprised if no quarterback were selected in the first round this year.

“I don’t see a single guy that I would feel confident about doing that with,” an NFC offensive coordinator said. “Maybe you get into the 20s and, depending on your situation, you take a chance on one. But none of these guys look like sure-fire starters. Good players? Sure, but nobody who looks like some of the guys we have seen the past two years.”
    All of that means that teams looking for quarterbacks, such as Kansas City and Arizona, will be far more tempted to go the veteran route and trade for Smith.

He must be reading my blog. I said this 3 days ago.

It’s all about appearances Chuck.
      KC will continue to shop the Top Pick as we will continue to show no indications that Alex is going to be released.

Perception and reality.
      We’ll likely take any deal we can for Alex, not sure of the AZ interest but, why not?
      McNabb was dealt within the Division.

We also have Norv and Mike Lombardi in Cleveland.
      Maybe the 9er connection helps us there too?

Especially since it’s being reported that Weeden and McCoy could both be getting shopped around.

I don’t buy the Yahoo article at all. I think it’s a plant – meaning Yahoo just wrote something to help Harbaalke get the ball rolling. It certainly helps the 49ers and I haven’t heard anything from the Chiefs and Andy Reed. It’ll take two teams interested for Smith to be traded, not just one. I’m stll bettin’ on the Jets.

Jets are a longshot Spit.
      Sanchez is the problem.
      There’s been some press given to him restructuring his deal to help the Cap situation.
      Why he would do that is beyond me. The money is guaranteed.
      Why cut your own throat when everyone knows how much they want him replaced?
      I guess it’s possible to redo the deal. If it were me, no way.

Stranger things have happened and after all, it’s the NYJ.

It’s between Cleve and KC. Namath plays for the Jets before Alex.

Mornhinweg and the WCO offer a glimmer of hope for Alex.
      As I just replied to Spit, the 800LB gorilla in the locker room is the Sanchez Contract.

Who knows? The NYJ Circus is as unpredictable as Roger Goodell.

I’m praying to Jesus H. Fucking Christ that Smith goes to Arizona.
    No need to bait our hook twice a year. It’ll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I’m sure Norv would love to have Alex back, and Reid would dig on a guy like Alex after his puppy killer seasons.

I’m still not ready to talk 49er football yet, but if Randy Moss is on this team next year I’ll Christopher Dorner that fucker myself.

I was very disappointed in how that situation turned out. I was thinking Sonny at the causeway in “The Godfather.” Fill ‘em full of holes…

The Sanchez contract isn’t an issue. First off, anyone see the Eagles asking Nnamdi to restructure? Why not Sanchez? I know Nnamdi’s owed 4 guaranteed and written up for 15. I don’t know Sanchez’s contract. But I do know the Jets need to fix their team in a big way. I don’t think the Chiefs need to make such a splash even though they went 2-14 or something like that. They were recently competitive under Haley. The other thing is that Reid likes athletic qbs. That’s certainly NOT Alex Smith.

• Spitblood says:

I just read the Sanchez contract extension you guys are claiming is the end of the world. It’s 8 million guaranteed for ’13 That’s it. That’s essentially Alex Smith’s contract next year. Sure, the 49ers are bluffing that they’d pay Smith 8 million to hold a clipboard, but it’s not unfathomable to have a guy on the sidelines holding a clipboard making 8. But if you look at Sanchez and remember how candid the guy is in interviews, he could easily agree to restructure. Easily. I just don’t buy that Sanchez has to be the guy as the starter because of the guarantee. I also don’t buy (considering how much the Jets are dumping right now) that the Jets couldn’t carry both Sanchez and Smith. But the biggest obstacle to a Smith trade with the Jets isn’t Sanchez’s contract, it’s Matt Flynn.

Reid likes a game manager.
        He didn’t get that from Vick.

As for Sanchez, he sucks.
        It’s not the QB you worry about, it’s the 8+Mil he ties up at the position.
        Alex for 8+ or Sanchez for 8+? Advantage Alex.
        As starting QBs go, 8+/ is very Cap friendly. Especially in a situation like we have with a young underpaid Kaep.
        That’s what makes him somewhat attractive to the right suitor.

Unlikely the NYJ tie up 16+ for both.
        Not saying it can’t happen, saying it’s highly unlikely.

Flynn makes more than both combined I believe.
        As I mentioned awhile back, Flynn and Idzik are Seattle guys.
        Strictly from that point of view, i don’t see Idzik helping us out in any way shape or form.

Woody Johnson on the other hand?
        He’s the boss. If Woody says do the deal for Alex who are we to argue?

• Spitblood says:

That’s the thing you guys aren’t realizing, though, about Smith, Flynn and Sanchez. The rookie salary cap drives their value down, and thus the price down. Those guys will all have to take a pay cut next year. You’ll see.

No doubt the Market is getting watered down.
        The topic is moving Alex now.
        Sanchez may be out of a job next year.
        Flynn is under Contract just like Sanchez.
        Alex is cheaper than Flynn with more time on his Contract.
        It’s not end of the world stuff.
        Alex as an $8Mil backup to us is the same as Sanchez being an $8Mil backup to Alex.

Release Flynn or Sanchez, you get beat on the Cap.
        Not sure what the hit is with Flynn but, as you know it all gets accelerated to the 2013 Cap if dumped.

We have an out with Alex. Pay $1Mil in March, hope to deal him before April 1.
        The game is, who blinks first, us or a potential suitor?

A BIG if, is whether we hold Alex beyond April 1 and hope to deal him or, risk having an $8Mil backup.

Beyond a watered down Market is the fact that nobody entering the Draft is worth squat right away, advantage Alex.

KC could, I believe, dump Cassell and replace him with Alex without much negative Cap impact.

Stories are out there about Andy Reid possibly dealing for his former QB Nick Foles.
        Certainly a cheaper option to Alex but, nothing gained for immediate improvement.

I read that Cassel is making about the same as Alex.
        Again, not sure what the Cap hit is, in terms of guaranteed money getting accelerated, if he were dumped in KC.

• Spitblood says:

NJ – teams have the leverage even in a guaranteed contract situation. The opportunity of starting is the leverage. Take a guy like Sanchez. You tell him you’ll cut him and he can look for backup work else where and pay him his 8 million guaranteed and he’ll consider staying with his teammates and competing regardless who they bring in. Where would Sanchez go to become a starter? Once the NFL considers you a backup, you’re a backup.

Guys like Flynn, Smith, Cassel and Sanchez will all have to take pay cuts to stay with their respective teams, or be attractive to new ones.. Not all of them will restructure but some of them will. Otherwise, it’s off to a new system, and potential backup status. Think Jason Campbell.

Spit the 2013 money is guaranteed to Sanchez, short of him restructuring.
      I’m with you on the leverage, that’s what all this is based on.
      We have the starter. He’s proven he can win in the Playoffs and minimize mistakes.

We’re good in terms of what we’re selling.
      It’s incumbent on the suitors to drive up his value to us.
      KC and Cassel seem to be the best ‘Win/Win’ for both sides.
      They have pieces in place and need the QB to make it go.

What I was trying to convey with Sanchez is, he may not see another Contract after this one.
      If Woody falls on the sword and cuts him loose, he gets $8Mil to leave.
      His $8Mil is all his, thanks to Tannenbaum.
      He’s about done in the League right now.
      Who pays him starter money after this Contract? Likely no one. Would you part with $8Mil guaranteed? I sure wouldn’t. But, as you say, Sanchez ain’t too bright.

Flynn? Not sure what the terms are but he got a MAJOR deal last year from Seattle.
      What’s guaranteed? I don’t know off the top of my head.

Try this on however.
      Flynn restructures in order to be traded to NYJ?
      Idzik helps himself and Seattle with the same move.

• Spitblood says:

I think it would be smarter for Sanchez to restructure, not dumber. If Sanchez shows he’s reasonable and willing to compete for contracts, that raises his value league-wide and could make him more than 8 million for the rest of the career. That’s what I’ve always believed about football players. Don’t over-leverage one contract and destroy the chance for other contracts.

Just as we hold Alex’s Contract and control his rights, we gamble with $7.5Mil on April 1.
        Assuming of course that we hold him with the March Roster Bonus.

It’s a game of Chicken.
        Find a Trade partner, preferably 2 and start a bidding war.
        Teams know what we have to do with him.
        Alex is our property.
        Will we hold him is the question.
        Mixed messages all the way around.
        ‘We’ll release Alex early’ followed by ‘It’s unlikely he’ll be let go’.

Who knows?
        All posturing at this point.

What if we get low-balled for Alex?
        We could still play Chicken and keep him certainly.
        Alex has zero options in this process.

I want him to go anywhere that gets us compensation.
        Would Baalke hold him?
        I can’t see it.
        But it’s definitely a possibility.

NJ, your poetry, whether intentional or not, has me thinking.
    I like it. That’s all that matters. It caught my eye, and grabbed my attention.
    Speaking of attention….get a load of this shit…I had an honest to goodness premonition of your comment…

NJ49er says:
    February 23, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I read that Cassel is making about the same as Alex.

When I saw it for the first time, I got spooked.
    But I saw it coming.

Anywho, I feel it.

What I really felt, believe it or not, was a dream last night where I’m a ticker taker at Candlestick. I was standing there at the turnstile when a young lady gave me a white placard with the #6 attached. I have absolutely no idea if that #6 placard was worth the price of admission,

Shit. Am I starting to lose it? Feel free to say so.
    It’s not the alcohol, I’m being honest. But I think I’m slipping away.
    It’s the goddamn fucking super Bowl. I’m still in denial. That’s my problem.

Thanks Del, hope the 6 placard has a Lombardi assigned to it?
      Hang onto that one Pal.
      SIX is our FIX.

Our SB loss was a wake up call.
      Look at the upside.
      Kaep was playing in his 10th game as a starter.
      Randy was invisible.
      The play calling in the Red Zone was moronic considering Ngata was injured and……we almost pulled it off.

Look at the bright side.

We’re young and holding 14 Draft Picks.
      Alex is likely moving on too.
      All good reasons to forget the SB loss and accept the message that we got there and, gave them a damn scare after spotting them a double digit lead.

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we didn’t get beat so much as we didn’t play well enough to win.

Think of the Secondary getting younger and faster after the Draft.
      Think of another Aldon Smith or a younger Justin Smith getting added to the DL rotation..

Think of a potential WR Group that stretches the Field and gives Kaep some deep threat ability.

Think of Alex playing………ANYWHERE BUT HERE?

Cheering you up yet?

Let’s try this.
      Alex who?

It IS the alcohol.

26. TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Mark Sanchez signs a 58 million dollar contract in 2012 with over 20 million guaranteed.
    Utter bullshit to think he would restructure and the cap hit the Jets would take in doing so in 2013.
    The Jets were stupid to sign him to this and now they have to live with it. No way out until after 2014.

NASCAR is really getting gung ho on spectator safety after yesterday’s final lap crash that sent half a motor and every imaginable piece of shrapnel hurling into the stands that injured some innocent fans.

Shit. 49er fans have had to endure much worse. Alex Smith has been flinging foreign objects into the first three rows at Candlestick for eight good years.

There’s no chance Alex is here after 3/31. And there’s no chance NYJ eats Sanchez’,s contract.

Speculate all you want, spotty, but the deal comes down to KC or Cleve.

JAX?

• Spitblood says:

Lol – there’s no chance Alex goes to Cleveland. They have Weeden and McCoy. Weeden has potential.

I think the deal comes down to the Jets and KC, with Arizona potentially being used only as leverage.

And I’m not saying the Jets eat the Sanchez contract. I think they ask him to restructure and compete for the job. Look at what the Eagles are doing with Nnamdi. The Eagles are publically asking him to restructure. He does have half the guaranteed money, but the Eagles are putting PR pressure on Nnamdi to find a number more in line with his productivity. I think the Jets could do the same thing with Sanchez.

And speaking of Nnamdi – the Niners are looking for a number one cornerback. Not sure if that’s Nnamdi anymore, but he’s another potential guy out there who the Niners might have some interest in. Juan Castilla didn’t help Nnamdi’s career any. Who takes an offensive line coach and turns him into defensive coordinator. Whoops! That might be the soul reason Andy got fired.

The non call that haunts me and I feel is the real reason we lost the game was the mugging of Miller on the Ravens kick return first play of the second half. How in the world a flag was not thrown is ludicrous. It took all the “feel good” out of the Niners after the rah rah halftime speech and would have required a record setting comeback after that 7 went on the board.

The last 4 plays and Crabs contact are all issues too, but the Miller mugging is not debatable, it was an indesputable penalty and it cost our team the game.

30. Alleykat says:

Tavon Austin WR/PR blazing fast at the Combine…4.25 40..Like the kid alot,would be a great slot reciever,punt returner,ala Percy Harvin.Real game changer player.
    Problem is size at 5’8 18O lbs,though he has been quite durable througout is college career.
    Patterns his game after Wes Welker,but much faster.

Austin ran a 4.34 officially, Goodwin a 4.27. Wicked fast.

Speed is soooooo overrated at the combine. AJ Jenkins fast, Mohammed Sanu slow. One went late 1st, the other 3rd. Who had the better rookie year? The Ravens Boldin is slower than an Unca cranial neuron. Speed is great, but I’ll take a guy who can run routes, setup DBs with head, shoulder and hip fakes, and can catch a football. In addition, I’ll take a guy who can break tackles. All these small fast guys end up on the bench hurt in the playoffs because they’re small – Manningham, Kyle and Hunter. In this draft, give me guys who are bigger and slower….. we have enough small fast guys.

I want speed and fearlessness at PR Spit. Field position is crucial, it often seemed like Ginn could have gotten 2-5 yds more with stepping inside rather than out of bounds but that would have meant contact.

• Spitblood says:

Vision, lateral moves and fearlessness make a good PR. Speed is important, but it’s not everything.

Not many great PR with average speed out there Spit. After catching ability I would place speed as the next highest priority in the required skillset with guts coming in 3rd.

Hunter had the best YPA of the running backs by 1/2 a yd at 5.2. I feel like he lives in Gore’s well deserved shadow a little bit. He was out of his walking boot on 23rd of January ahead of schedule but I’ve heard nothing since. If he keeps to schedule for an achilies tear he is training full speed at the end of May/mid June.
    Not sure why you think Hunter or Manningham are particularly small Spit, Williams is on the small and slight side.

• Spitblood says:

Manningham, Hunter and Kyle are all smaller skill players. Hunter is much more muscular, but he’s not a banger, and we all know he’s short.

Hunter runs between the tackles well and is hard to bring down, has speed to the outside, good in pass pro blitz pick up too. I think he pushes Gore for carries in TC presuming the injury is 100%. Last season saw the team transition from Gore’s team to Kap’s and I think that progression continues with Hunter gaining more prominence in the run game as he was the most productive runner by carry and is entering his 3rd year. Gore will probably be the starter but his carries will be reduced IMO.

• Spitblood says:

I agree, and I love Hunter….. hope he makes a complete return. I just think the 49ers need bigger bodies at the skill positions this draft.

I would like bigger, stronger WR.

Tavon Austin is a game changer.
    There’s fast and then, there’s quick, he has it both ways.

Very similar to LMJ in terms of shiftiness.
    Ginn is a wimp.
    Heads for the sidelines instead of attacking a lane and following his blocks.
    What Jacoby did to us in the SB is something Ginn rarely looks to do.
    He was hung up on being a WR and didn’t seem to relish the PR duties.
    If he had any hands his speed is top shelf.

I’m with you 12th regarding the Bruce Miller MUGGING on that opening second half KO.

He was literally lifted off the ground in the middle of the Field by 2 Ravens.
    Show me where lifting someone isn’t considered holding.
    Maybe David Blaine gets away with that but……..

I like Austin too, in 3 wr sets he projects as a quick slot guy with breakaway speed.

Whats youre take on Gore, Hunter?

Hunter is a keeper.
        Gore is running out of time of course.
        I’m anxious to see Jewel in action.
        He is very much the Frank clone between the Tackles.

Hunter is fine, gives us the breakaway threat that Frank no longer can.

I’m putting RB Le’Veon Bell from Michigan St on the wish list too.
        Big Bruiser with pass catching abilities.
        He’d be a nice weapon for us I think.

Keep TE Vance McDonald from Rice on the radar too.
    Not the huge target I’d like at the position but, the guy could be an easy answer for Delanie should we fail to retain him.

Read that Ricardo Lockette is 1 of 3 WRs working in GA with Kaep right now.
    Lockette has been hanging on with us for a little while and happened to be one of the Combine Speed Freaks a few years back.
    He had KR abilities at Ft Valley State too. One of those sub 4.4 guys.

Very possible he, Chad Hall and AJ are vying for that deep threat position we seem to be so hungry for.

He was listed as a high ceiling guy that needed development.
      Sure would be nice to have an ex-Seattle cast off pan out for us.

Dude is ripped and is an ex-Track guy.
        Maybe we have the diamond in the rough?

He is one of half a dozen guys the Niners have on PS and depth chart that appear to be on the cusp of playing time. They have an embarrassement of riches in existing depth and 14 picks or better coming up. Hard to know which of the lesser known team guys can break through. Lockette didn’t do much from memory to stand out but he has been able to stay on the team so maybe.

I know 12th, we’re managing to keep a solid core of developmental guys under wraps.
      I have no problems with that.

Having all the additional Picks is a bonus.

Chad Hall has some speed and KR ability too.
      As Harbaugh has eluded to time and again, iron sharpens iron.

Keep these guys hungry and promote competition.
      Hoping it pays dividends down the road.

37. Alleykat says:

Well Cordalle Patterson ran a 4.34 40.If we want to go big 6’3 205.
    Still they probably go D first.
    Austin is gonna be special though.See him as.aajor force,game changer whocould be the “Man” on PR,field postion,deep threat,dude has breakaway speed,perfect for Kap to use from the slot postion IMO.

Cordarelle is probably gonna be the 1st WR off the board Alleykat.
      He’d be a nice option for us certainly.
      I’m curious about his team mate WR Justin Hunter.
      Both guys are blazing fast and have size.

I’m in the same boat, Defense is probably a better move early.
      Tavon has been a favorite of mine however. Very versatile but, very small.

As far as the holding call on the kickoff return, Miller would have had to be taken down for a holding call to be made, by rule.

Gotta like that ‘Forklift’ approach going forward NoFear49er.
      Something we can work on perhaps?

Kid has his pads exposed after that play.
      Couldn’t believe it.
      Ancient history 2 seconds after it happened however.

• NoFear49er says:

Hey NJ49er, yeah they doubled him pretty good and held him up until Jones had passed, evidently in a legal play.

I would have added the proper attribution but I can’t remember now where I read that.

Really NF? Does that sound right? I won’t argue the point since I don’t really know but if that play was legal something needs to change.

Anyone read what DE Sam Montgomery from LSU had to say about betting with team mate Mingo while playing at LSU?
    What an idiot.
    He’s off the list now.

I’m anxious to see FSU DE ‘Tank’ Carradine now.
    He’s coming off an ACL and might be worth a Pick as a ‘Value’ guy.

Lotulelei has a heart condition?
    Talk about upsetting the Combine pecking order.
    This could be disastrous for the kid’s future.

Funny, on the punt near the end, the announcers say that the Niners can’t get in to block the punt, and in the end zone view, you can see every rusher being held as they try to get to him. It likely wouldn’t have mattered, but it was another case of the many non-calls all night.

I hear you Chuck.
      I’m not going to go all ‘Seattle/Pittburgh’ on the Officiating because we end up sounding like a bunch of whiners but…..

It does show how far the pendulum swings in terms of ‘interpretation’ on flag-worthy calls in this League.
      Could you imagine if Hochuli had that game? Might have been a laundry party.

We’re back in the Playoff conversation and we’re young.
      Let’s hope we have a couple more opportunities to make it right over the next few years.

I think it’s the Chefs . . . Great googly moogly.

Time to start a pool as to what the trade pick(s) are?

I read that Miles Austin is likely a cap casualty in Jerruhland

Jerruhland – touche’.

Can there be enough bad expletives to use for that douche bag?
        I hope he hangs around for a long long time doing just what he’s so good at.

Thinking he has all the answers while continuing to bungle his way through his own self promotion hype.

Flaming Cowpattie.

Yeah he is a class ‘A’ POS. GM extraordinaire at least in his befuddled mind. I think they should sign Romo to a new contract and thankfully so does The Jerruh.

Tony Promo, Cap Reliever.
        They can’t sign Spencer et al, until Tony frees up some breathing room.

Go ahead, sign a 33 year old QB to another extension.
        His next Playoff win will be his 2nd?
        Not bad when you consider how long he’s been preparing for it.

See if Jerruh addresses the OL in April.
        I’m betting he won’t.
        He’ll continue to ignore the obvious and beef up the Defense for his Geriatric D-Coordinator while Romo runs for his life with no protection or a reliable RB.

Jerruh = Modern Era Al Davis.

With 14 Picks pending this year, I’d be glad to get anything this year as long as there’s a higher Rd Pick next year.
        Maybe a 4 this year a 2 next?

Good analogy The Crypt Keeper 2.0
        I originally thought a 3 and a 5 for Smith, then looking at the market I figured a 2 and a 5.
        I think on balance I will say a 3 and a 5 this year or a 3 this year and a 3 to a 4 next year, incentive based depending on playing time and/or milestones meaning if he plays well a 3 or stinks a 4. Final answer

If it’s a deal involving KC, we could get creative 12th.
        We hold 2 3s with the possibility of acquiring an extra 3 as a lost FA Comp.

Perhaps swapping the higher of our 3s (Pick 74) with them, (Pick 63) and a 2 from them next year?

That would close the gap with our 2nd, (Pick 61) which would provide a little more Trade up value, Picks 61 & 63.

Can’t wait to hear the details.
        Assuming of course this isn’t just some well timed Combine generated pre-trade hype.

If I understand you correctly NJ that would mean in essence getting a 2+ from them? I would be happy but mildly surprised.

We get their 2 for our higher 3 12th.
        In essence, swapping positions.
        They stay ahead of SD by getting our 74 for their 63.

We’d be picking up Alex’s March Roster Bonus of $1Mil to facilitate the Trade.
        It’s nearly a wash in terms of Trade value I’d propose.

Gives us our 2nd, (61) with their 3rd (63).
        They slide back from 63 to 74 in that scenario.

Doable?

My error.
        It’s their 3rd for the higher of our 2 3s.

Yeah I’d say that was doable. Improves both teams without breaking the bank.

I am seriously relieved Smith is finally gone, not necessarily because of his play but because I’m sick of hearing his friggin name.

Conjures up that old jingle from the Wizard of Oz for me.

‘Ding Dong the witch is dead’.

Turn the page, forward we go.
      Alex for ANYTHING is a positive move.

PFT says probable Goldson hits the open market. For that to happen they must be far apart on money/time of contract.

Yeh 12th I saw that.
      Good.

He tested FA once before and found no ‘Retirement Offers’.

I seriously think the Market is adjusting simply because of the Rookie Cap.
      Goldson has value, i just think he believes there are more Albert Haynesworth-type deals out there.

I’d let him test it again.
      Plenty of young DBs coming out this year.

i prefer to keep Goldson, but not at any price. Like we talked about a few days ago, not using the FT is not really a surprise. I think 6.5 mil a year, 3 year contract escalating 1 mil a year in guaranteed terms was about right. The “announced” contract could read 5/40 or whatever.
        I reckon Goldson has overestimated the market again if that report is accurate.

Agreed 12th, keep him at our price not his.
      He was a 4th Rd pick who had trouble staying healthy early on.
      Won’t kill me to replace him with a younger guy but, continuity has it’s value as well.

See how it shakes out.

Fascinating draft and off season this year, the team has literally every option and just about all the leverage. The draft matches up with need, speedy WR, DL, DB they have depth at most positions already, 14+ picks on the way. Hard to get a feel for the team direction since they can do just about anything, even the cap is no biggie once Smith is gone.

Good problems to have.

Absolutely.
        A well played hand as it were.
        I just added a reply to your earlier comment regarding the Alex Pool.

Glad to see the back of the early Nolan days when the roster was so thin they picked up DB’s off the street and played them the same week.

Baalke has managed to completely surprise me in both of his drafts so far. I didn’t see Aldon Smith coming (good surprise) and damn sure didn’t see AJ Jenkins coming (surprise) I am fairly certain Baalke will pick someone off the radar because that’s his MO so far but I bet he doesn’t do the smug “we know better than the rest of you”, “name in an envelope” bit again.

Same here 12th.
      Aldon was a guy I did some reading on but didn’t see him as high as he went.
      Baalke found a piece that fit what we were looking for.
      Great Scouting, good Pick.

I sort of discarded NT John Jenkins a few weeks back but, I now have him back on the radar.
      I really wouldn’t mind getting huge on the inside of the DL with a 350lb space eater like him.
      If Lotulelei is going to slide due to heart issues, everyone else in that group moves up.
      Might have to reconsider where he could be had if in fact Baalke sees the upside in that type of player.

Yeah I hear ya on the beef in the middle but think there is more value DT/DE than NT in terms of playing time for Fangio’s D scheme.

Should be interesting 12th.
        I could live with the space eater only because I prefer that sort of piece in the 3-4.
        I think the Big Man inside gives some help to the DEs and OLBs.

See how that all comes together.

I was wondering if Fangio plays the scheme the way he does to fit the players, meaning if he had more heft in the middle he would play more traditional 3-4. Ice isn’t ideal as a space eater.

JAX and the Browns are eliminated as the mystery trade team according to their local papers. Things are pointing to the Chiefs and Andy Reid in the early guessing. Place your bets. Where’s Phil when you need him?!?

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. This could be great news. I could see the 49ers trading for future picks. But if the trade is with the Chiefs, I want the picks now….. because they’re first. Jets? I want future picks (they’ll only get worse). Arizona? Just give him to them because that’s a gift that keeps on giving.

Anything at this point is satisfying.
      KC would be ideal.
      I can’t locate the exact Contract number for Cassel but thought I’d seen reference made in an article suggesting he was at $7.5Mil this year.

If so, it’s exactly what Alex is owed after April 1.
      In essence, we pay the $1Mil Roster Bonus to deal him in March.
      How much smoother could that be?

Now we await the official word in 3 weeks on Compensation.

Cassel was in the same situation as Sanchez.
      Fans couldn’t wait for him to go.
      Of course, as we’ve beaten to death already, Sanchez has a prohibitive Contract situation.

We’ll find out if KC got the deal done with us or not when it’s allowed to be confirmed.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Is there no end to your bullshit? You are the only person on this earth who thinks Alex Smith is going to the Jets.

I’m going out on a limb and saying the Chiefs gave us a second round pick. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but if a deal is already done, the 49ers didn’t think they could do any better. The Chiefs will take Joeckel at one and have Smith as their two. Not bad. Joeckel replaces Albert (if he leaves) or upgrades their line. Then the Chiefs have Bowe (who they want to resign), Charles, Moaki, Smith, McCluster and Breston. Not a bad offense for Reid to walk into.

For the 49ers, though, (if I’m right) Cha-Ching! 31 and then 33? In a draft that’s deep? I love it. Now we can go after a CB in free agency, draft a DT in the first and a safety in the second. Then with our own second we can go after a wide receiver? Or really, any combo of these things opens up. Some free agents, three impact players in the first two rounds? And here’s something else to think about. There’s a night to think and/or trade the 33rd overall pick between the first and second rounds. Teams that fall in love with a guy might want to call the Niners and purpose a trade. Remember the Andy Dalton drama? If I’m right that the 49ers got a second for Smith, we’re in business for a long, long time.

I went with a different proposal earlier in the thread with 12th, suggesting 61 & 63 instead.
      We swap the higher of our 3s with KC to obtain Pick 63 to pair with our 2 at 61.

In addition, hopefully, we get a 2 from them in 2014 as well.

Spit you should run for political office. You went from Smith will be cut to we got a second in the blink of an eye.

Rather than taking the position that the Niners couldn’t do any better, another scenario, presuming that it is KC, is that they met the asking price.

I presume they shopped him to all interested parties and KC coughed up the necessary, due dilligence is something Baalke does well.

I doubt a second rd pick straight up as you suggest but not impossible, just unlikely IMO.

• Spitblood says:

It’s always easy to second guess someone creating theories and scenarios. Create some for yourself. Put yourself in the Niners’ shoes. They just started shopping him and didn’t hold out for more this early in the game. They got a good offer….. either that or they knew they lost leverage the longer the off season wore on. I’m thinkin’ a second from the Chiefs….. if it’s the Chiefs.

I contribute plenty of my own thoughts Spitty, don’t believe your own hype big guy.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t hype myself, but I am a geneous.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

Spitblood

Sad when you steal directly from Matt Barrows and try to pass it off as your own material?

After seeing some of the results from the smaller WRs today I have to wonder how realistic it is for us to retain Mario Manningham?

He’s a 6′ guy and, there are more than enough guys of similar size with better speed.
    Have to figure he isn’t going to be ready for duty after ACL/PCL surgery either.

2 guys that lit it up today, in terms of speed, were Swope and Boyce.
    Swope has the gaudier numbers but, the TD production is about equal.

Swope played an extra Season too. Boyce is a Jr.
    I’m impressed with the 22 reps of 225 Boyce did too.
    Good upper body strength and speed.
    Totally works for me.
    Have to figure Miami wants Swope to reunite with Tannehill and Sherman, which means they might pull the trigger on him early.

So….I’m going to go out on a limb and put Boyce on the list for the later Rds.
    We’ll call it for Rd 5 if not later.

Have to admit that Manningham injury puts him in doubt, it is a gnarly one. He does have great experience at the highest levels of the game though. I wouldn’t just cast him aside for an untried rookie if it’s likely he can play at that level again.

Agreed 12th, he’s facing an uphill battle and, is unlikely to be ready early, we’ll see?
      Not suggesting we cast him aside so much as we prepare to have an alternate plan.

I’m impressed with the depth of the ‘shorter’ crop of options in this Class of WRs.
      Obviously, we have plenty of Picks to experiment with too.

Just throwing up some thoughts just in case.

For WR they need a fast twitch slot guy and a big bodied guy to replace Moss and either Manningham or Williams. Lots of receivers fit the bill in rds 3-5 and Baalke has the ammo to move up and snag someone if he still has some envelopes left.

2 of the ‘taller’ guys that look interesting are Mark Harrison from Rutgers and Justin Hunter from TN
        Both guys ran extremely well, sub 4.5.
        Hunter will go high, Harrison fits that late Rd experiment label.

So many possibilities, damn near mind blowing.

Marquess Wilson Washington St has been on my radar too, simply for size and numbers.
        Big kid, didn’t run all that well today, 4.51.

Haven’t seen Harrison, will check him out. I figure they may go free agency too. A lot depends on Mario and KW. I would think Moss is gone.
        Amendola may be available too.

Yeh, I’d say Moss gone too.
        Good point with KW too. Tough to know what to expect from him and Mario at this point.

Amendola is another guy that can’t stay healthy but is a nightmare to cover when he is.

I’m more for spending some of those Picks on this deep Class of options as well.

Should be a fun Spring watching all of this unfold.

Welker is probably going to hit the market but he’s a high ticket item in a rich draft class of clones.
        Some decent guys were released already but with the draft so close teams are waiting. The rookie cap effect at work.

Interesting to see what will happen with Star. 44% of the left ventricular? That’s no bueno. I like that kid. Think the 49ers should take a chance on him if surgery isn’t required. Even if it is…. he’s still intriguing.

Certainly changes the pecking order big time.

I’m now going back to Jenkins, earlier than I originally wanted to, because of this news.
      I still like the idea of having some tonnage inside.

No idea what the problem represents for his (Lotulelei) career in football now?

Stay tuned.
      If it isn’t career threatening, Stanford is a 1st class place to have treatment.

• TOUCHDOWN TOMMY says:

44% isn’t that bad because 55% to 70% is normal. He is only off by 11% which is treatable.

I’d hope so for his sake TD Tommy.
        Young guy with everything going for him in terms of talent.

Hopefully it’s just a business concern for the Teams looking at the risk and not his long term health at risk.

Amazing to me Star got all the way through college football without that coming to light.

I’ll tell you what, Miami is sitting pretty in terms of having bullets to use in this Off Season/Draft too.

They hold 9 Picks, with twin Picks in Rds 2 & 3.
    On top of that, they have a boatload of Cap money to spend in FA.

Very possible they could land WR Mike Wallace and, they could bag Jennings if they wanted to bring another GB piece onboard.

It’s looking like GB South with Philbin and Sherman plus the TX A&M Tannehill / Swope connection being another possibility.
    Sucks for the rest of the AFC East if they muscle up this Spring.

Look out if they get a running game going.
    Highly probable Reggie Bush will split.

I read a piece where GB may FT Jennings at 10 mil I think it was.
      Not sold on Tannehill yet. They do have a lot to play with now that you mention it, maybe the Pats don’t get a free pass to the playoffs this year?
      Bills have been cutting players and as for the Jets, well enough said about them, so it’s up to the fins to make Bellicheat earn his check.

It would be fitting to have GB tie up FTag money on Jennings and handcuff them elsewhere wouldn’t it?

Pats are having their issues too huh?
        Makes you wonder about all that Spy-Gate-Video stuff too.
        What have they accomplished since that all got exposed?

Buffalo and NYJ?
        What can be said there.
        The Bills got shanked with Not So Super Mario in FA among other blunders but, they’re likely closer to respectability than the Jets.

• Spitblood says:

Always possible Chuck is 12th. He’s definitely Bullit on the Outsider, and Touchdown Tommy here. I wouldn’t put it past him that he’s Nipper, 12th, Bullit and Tommy. He’s just that fuckin’ nuts.

The Jets got shanked by Tannenbaum.
        Self inflicted wounds are harder to swallow.

The Salary Cap may have been implemented because of Eddie D but, it sure put a spotlight on how valuable a Front Office is to NFL survival.

Where Al Davis left off, Jerruh continues to set the pace for Front Office Bravado and self promotion.
        Hope Jerruh doesn’t change a thing.

Some interesting POV on the blog again tonight guys. Chucks blog is becoming a go to source.

Shows how important those huge contracts for QB’s are, Sanchize almost single handedly took Ryans Jets from contenders to pretenders and screwed them for 2 more years to boot and Fitzpatrick did similar but to a lesser extent to the Bills who signed Tavares Jackson to compete with him. Super Marion killed the cap there too.

Baalke never seems to overpay yet gets good value anyway. I like his approach, probably why Goldson may test FA for the second time in 3 years despite what Harbaugh said.

Dammit, meant NJ of course, my bad.

NJ49er, 12th man, et al, the source on that holding call non-call I put up earlier was Peter King’s column. Scroll down to the photo of it.

Having watched the replay numerous times I saw Bruce suspended briefly so as to render him weightless and helpless to have any chance at that KR.

His jersey was completely up with his pads exposed yet it’s not holding?
      Gotta laugh or go Postal I guess?

Thanks NoFear49er, just goes to illustrate the point that Rules are left to interpretation I guess?

Holding is holding as long as you don’t take a guy to the ground?

As I mentioned previously, we need to explore that option for our own benefit apparently.
    Strange how a handful of jersey on an OL/DL-man or a WR isn’t applied the same way huh?

Ludicrous.

I am the walrus, Spitty. and you are an idiot of the highest order. The teams on my radar all along for Smith were in order, Cleve, KC, Jax, and the Jets. AZ was for Smith if he was released. Jax didn’t take Roma, therefore, I figured Smith lost his oppo there. The Jets were too constrained by the Snachez mess. It’s still down to Cleve and KC.

Spit, I took a look at my Dec 19th post, and I had Alex going to Cleve, SD, KC, AZ, or the Jets. I thought I had said jax but I didn’t. SD for the obvious reason that, at the time, Norv was in SD. Since he went to Cleve, all the more . . . try to keep up please. Yer dragging down the curve.

You are your usual short attention span theatre self. You change directions more than a weather vane.

And, way back then, I had them getting a 2 and a 4. Funny how you call that yours after getting beat over the head with it for 3 months and you saying Smith’d be released. .

You do give this place some comic relief, Spitty.

Thanks

And thanks to the rest of you for the commentary.

Excellent stuff.

Hard to understand how a play like that is allowed, NF and the rest of you. Mainly because pass rushers don’t have to be ‘taken down’ to draw a penalty. Holding is holding.

New thread is up. Your favorite topic and mine. Alex Smith!!!!!