The Game! The Game! My Kingdom for the Game!

OK, every story is officially past the stage of beaten to death. Deer antlers? Gay tight ends (is that an oxymoron?)? Kaepernicking? Rany Moss – Greatest WR or asshole? Does God have a vested interest in the outcome of this Super Bowl? The Ravens switched practice fields? Unheard of! The turf is too hard! Or is it? Is there subterfuge afoot? Gawd, it’s enough to make me sick. At least the Tim Brown/Jerry Rice consipriacy theory went away without too much blowback. I figured Jerry might catch some shit for jumping on that crazy train, but nope.

Problem is, I’m running out of work, and I have too much time on my hands. Plus this is MY team in the Super Bowl this time around. It has been a while, so I guess I haven’t really been aware of the media crush that this is. I mean, I’m aware of it, but just not the extent that it has become. Which is a nauseating rotation of the same stories regurgitated by different people at different times.

At least we are at 3 days and change. Close, but not quite there yet. I’ve heard ‘em all say how wonderful Kaepernick is. How unstoppable Kaepernick is. How Balt will take away how wonderful Kaepernick is. How Flacco is on a roll. How the Niners will stop the roll. How the Balt defense is immovable and inpenetrable. And how Balt’s defense is simple to dissect. Like Chicago’s. In other words everybody’s saying everything about every aspect. And it’s all bullshit. Some will be right. Some will be wrong. Huzzah.

About these ads

36 Responses to The Game! The Game! My Kingdom for the Game!

The Niners’ O line against Ngata will be something I watch closely. Also the pick plays. Pick plays are huge in the NFL. It’ll be interesting to see how the refs call the pick plays in the Super Bowl, and how the 49ers defend them.

I’m not worried about our defense defending Pita, Boldin, Smith and Rice. I’m not worried about our offense scoring points. I’m not worried about Kaepernick. The only thing I’m worried about is how the plays fall. Steve Sabol said, “The key to winning Super Bowls is winning the little battles.” He was saying that little things create momentum, and that momentum, right or wrong, can crush the team in its way. Do the little things. Execute. Win the little battles. Get momentum on your side early.

Play the game! Now!

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. If the Niners run early and it works, game over. Balt can say the same thing though. The Niners need to run out of multi-WR sets insteas of their jumbo package.

4. Grumpy Guy says:

We were 29% at converting third down last year. This year we were 68 of 194 – about 34%, and 8 of 12 on 4th down. And 10 of 19 on 3rd down in the playoffs. So there generally seems to be an upward trend there.

Shit. That still ain’t all that special. Points are up as well though.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Even the better teams don’t convert 50% I think. We’ve gone from bottom of the barrel to middle of the pack. With hints of more in the postseason. CK is going to get better for a long time to come, with every game he plays.

I heard a stat that the Niners are up 5 ppg under Kap compared to Alex. That’s not bad. Next year, when KAP has more practice reps and hopefully a few more receivers who can catch the damn ball and get open, maybe it’ll get up over a TD increase…

I thought NE was like 54% this year. I’d think we should be at 40%.

Yeah, losing Manningham sucked. He’s perfect for this offense. If Jenkins could get his shit together, then we’d have a deep threat. Moss? I’d keep him just because they way teams play him. The Miami game (where I could see how the corners were lining up 12 yards off), and most ofther games, he got at least an 8 yard cushion. The thing is, they should just work that until they adjust, and THEN go deep.

I’m not worried about Rice running, he won’t be able to. I am a little worried about Flack hitting long passes downfield. Our deep coverage hasn’t really impressed me all of the time. And Flack can make that throw.
    I think this game gets dictated by our LB’s (not theirs). If they’re flying around and blitzing Flack then I think we kill them (especially in the 2nd half when all their old men players are sucking massive wind).

Simple game plan: attack the middle of the Ravens D. horizontally with the run. Attack the middle of the Ravens D. vertically with the pass.

Game Over.

If we are playng our nickel and Soap is out, they could run on us. GB did it early. TRhey may get a couple big runs, but more importantly yeah, the deep passes. Ryan’s pretty good at it and he burned us early. Like I’ve been saying, I’d like us to be a little more aggressive early. Or Goldson just has to remember what position he plays.

Wonderful. So they thought it was anti-bullying and not gay themed? Oooops.

They should have a one week period between the Conference champ games and Super Bowl. This second week is nothing but a media free for all that seeks out idiotic comments to trumpet once the same lame prognostications on the game have been rehashed about 10 times over by Wed of the second week, after “media day”. Seriously, who gives an S what most of these jocks have between their ears? Their social awareness is pretty limited, and they are no more role models in civil society than my avatar mutt. They just need to shut their yaps and get back to blocking and tackling…

Just saw a bunch of pics in SFGate showing the players sitting down getting interviewed in NO, every day this week, stopping today. Tolzien was pictured, getting interviewed. What is he going to say? “Yeah, I’ve grown attached to my clipboard”…

14. barleyfreak says:

On 3rd down conversions, Grump said, “This year we were 68 of 194 – about 34%,…”

Not to ignite yet another qb debate (though I THINK we’re past that), what are the numbers before/after the qb switch? My guess is that they are better after the switch.

I haven’t bothered reading up on this non story but is this substance banned in college or the pro’s?

Regarding that Huffington Post article, it’s ironic that dude said, “We’ve never had a campaign pulled down…. etc.” Brooks is religious. As long as Brooks isn’t hurting anyone, it’s his right to be openly against the gay lifestyle. He’ll help people bullied, but he won’t help the homos. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. The guy who put together the, “It Gets Better,” campaign is trying to bully the 49ers who are now under the media spotlight. Irony. Homo Irony. This is what doing nothing for two weeks leads us to ….. homo irony.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself, barley.

I’m just too lazy to go through the numbers on pro-fotball-reference.com

Smith had some good games and bad, and so did Kappy. It’s probably a wash.

Roger Goodell makes me sick.

Now what? New thread is up.