The Media Train Plows On

bochy-harbaugh

Thanks for the pic, Kevin. I love it.

Are we tired of Ray Lewis yet? How about the fact it is Lewis’ last game (really?)? How about the comparisons of Ray Lewis to Patrick Willis? The Har-blather? Kaepernicking? Deer antler spray? Alex Smith and his fate? His loss of job? Bah.

At least the players seem to be having fun with it. Joe Staley put on a tattoo sleeve and Kaepernicked for the media. Kaepernick was talked into Kaepernicking for the assembled media. A reporter asked Flacco how he felt about his own father calling him dull. Flacco responded by saying I think he meant that as a compliment, and Flacco pretty much said yeah, I am dull. It means I’m not a distraction. Riveting stuff. Randy Moss decided to declare himself the best WR to ever play the game, saying it isn’t all numbers, but really, they do come in to play. Moss took a few seasons off in his head, so he’s a little off, but his rambling answers were fun. It appeared the reporters were trying to get the old Randy to emerge. The volatile Randy who would go off into crazyland. I like Rice’s response (which isn’t really correct) but he said it’s all about this as he pointed to one of his Super Bowl rings. Plenty of great players didn’t get the shot at a Super Bowl, but whatever Rice is was and probably always will be the #1 WR ever. Rice was fairly cool about it, saying he’d let the fans decide it, but it sure was better than listening to Ray Lewis talk during the media breakfast about the secret society that football is, and how dare that SWATS guy try to penetrate that shroud of secrecy. That’s part of the PROBLEM, Ray Ray. You guys doing your secret shit in the locker room and castigating anyone that dare question what you are doing.

Anyhow, we’re getting closer to the real thing, and I can’t wait.

About these ads

57 Responses to The Media Train Plows On

The NFL was set to interview the deer that Lewis allegedly received the antler extract from, but the deer was found dead in the woods outside of Atlanta of multiple stab wounds.

If I was Alex Smith, I’d want to go to the Cleveland Browns. Here are pretty much all the logical choices for Alex Smith after Smith is released – The Bills, Jets, Chiefs, Raiders, Browns, Bucs, Jaguars and Eagles. Mike Vick and Matt Flynn are available. Matt Cassell and Fitzpatrick might slide into backup roles. And let’s not forget J Russell (sweet mother of Christmas). Despite the lackluster qb draft, there might be some gems in there as well. One never knows.

John Clayton recently said, “What will Alex Smith be without the benefit of Jim Harbaugh?” Alex Smith has to be looking hard at that too. If it was me, my first pick would be the Browns, not the Chiefs. The Cleveland Browns made two interesting hires this off season. They got Norv Turner who seems to live in the grey area between OC and HC. They have Richardson, and they also just hired Horton Heat. In my opinion, that’s the right formula for Smith: A system with Turner that Smith knows, a powerful running back who’s young, and a great defensive coordinator. Isn’t that the formula Smith improved under in SF? But will Norv want Smith? I can remember Lynch reportedly hearing Norv yell from the press box at Smith, “Throw the damn ball.”

Who knows if Chud has an interest in Smith? The Browns have Weeden and could draft another qb. Yesterday Alex Smith blamed his receivers for all his years of futility in SF. The Browns don’t have offensive receiver weapons, unless you consider Cribbs and Gordon explosive. But the framework for success is already in place in Cleveland. If I was Smith, and I had my choice, I’d chose the Browns.

One could argue that the best landing place for Smith would be with the Chiefs who have Reed, maybe Bowe and Charles, and the Chiefs have good defensive players. But the Chiefs also have the first overall draft choice, and I could see Andy Reed picking his own project qb much like Jim Harbaugh did recently.

The Smith debate will continue on blogs like these, but for Smith to be a success, he needs a lot of talent (coaching and players) around him.

• shaman138 says:

You lost me after “If I was Alex Smith…”

Spit the marketing plan will be initiated via Baalke.
      There’s value for Alex.
      Weak Draft Class at the QB position too.
      No way Andy Reid spends Pick 1 on a QB.
      I’d be all in for getting a 2 from anyone seeking Alex’s services and, all the QB needy Teams happen to Draft in the Top 10.

What would be a great scenario is to have Buffalo getting into the fray and perhaps motivating Idzik in NY to keep him from going there.
      Woody Johnson has no clue what the NFL game is about, as it relates to the Cap.
      He simply has all the money in the world and figures you buy what you want.
      Problem is, Tannenbaum guaranteed Sanchez’s Contract.

I agree Cleveland makes the most sense because of Norv but, Cleveland already burned this years’ 2nd Pick in the Supplemental Draft.
      If they offered a 2 next year and a 3 this year, I’d be all over it.

Now, if Sanchize could be persuaded to restructure, (which is highly unlikely, and probably ill advised), they could easily get Alex on a 2 year deal while Mornhinweg implements the new scheme over there.

Baalke is no dunce, he and Harbaugh have made Alex a viable option at the right time.
      Demand is high, supply is low.

Word is circulating that Chip Kelly is going to pluck Dennis Dixon from the Ravens’ PS
      Makes total sense, since Dixon played in Oregon.
      That puts Vick on the street which gives Reid a free shot, with no Contract to contend with or, Draft Picks to forfeit.

Be great to have Cleveland ante up.
      We won’t deal with AZ and I’d suspect that we don’t want Alex taking knowledge of the System to a Division rival.

Hence, make the best possible deal you can to put him on an AFC Roster.

The front runners have to be KC, Cleve, and Buffalo. Maybe even Chip Kelly and the Iggles getting Smith back into a spread system. Reid’s good with QBs, I could see him drafting a QB but also using Smith as the guy for a couple years.

• Spitblood says:

I think that’s who Smith is….. the guy “for a couple of years.” Smith is a solid human with a solid work ethic, but he’s not the guy to get you to the Super Bowl. I could see the Browns bringing in Smith on a two year contract while looking for a franchise qb. I don’t think Smith is athletic enough for a Chip Kelly offense, and I think Andy Reed will go with a rookie he develops. I forgot to put Arizona on the list. Bruce Arians could do the same thing with Smith – hire Smith for two years while looking for the next Colin Kaepernick.

I’m talking trade, skippy. If Smith is released, he’ll go straight to AZ.

• Spitblood says:

I don’t think there’s a market for a trade. Irsay couldn’t trade Manning.

• Spitblood says:

If Smith is released it would behoove Smith to find numerous potential suitors. I don’t know that he’ll find that, but I could see the Jets being interested because the Jets are a wreck and are always needing to sell a new, shinny toy. Remember when the 49ers were a joke and everyone used us for leverage but in the end nobody wanted to play here unless we really overpaid? That’s the Jets. Woody needs to make a splash. If I’m Alex Smith, the first place I visit is New York. Sure, the fans would have a field day with Smith, Sanchez and Tebow, but in the end, I want New York on my nuts. I court New York and Rex Ryan with everything I’ve got hoping to get an offer. Then I visit both Arizona and Cleveland with an offer in hand looking to find something real with a guy who knows offense.

4. Chico says:

The funniest thing about Moss was ‘Stats don’t matter’ – I think that’s fucking hilarious! Like a local sports radio show host said today, ‘if stats don’t matter than I’m the best Indy car racer ever’ The guys reasoning cracks me up.

5. Chico says:

Nate Silver says that the Niners will win the Super Bowl.. I’m already celebrating!

6. Chico says:

Chris Culliver just created a media buzz.. Dumbass.

York has his way Smith won’t be going ANYWHERE: “York says Niners hope to keep Kaepernick and Smith”

“We had Steve and Joe for a long time so why not? We have the cap room”

This super boring week will soon pale before the wisdom of the never ending Smith vs Kap drama. Just watch.

• Grumpy Guy says:

That’s a terrible idea. I hope JH slaps Jed straight in a hurry.

We did NOT keep Montana after Young became the starter and Montana was again healthy. Well, we did for ONE game, and look at the media cluster fuck that was – I REMEMBER the poisoned locker room and the bickering fans – NO Thank You! At this point, you have to move on, to avoid doing the dysfunctional two-step when something goes wrong.

Alex is a good guy but he needs to leave. For his sake, and the team’s sake.

All about the Marketing Ploy uhhh, Plan Phil.

Have to make Teams believe that there’s a price to be paid and create competition for Alex.
      All you need is 2 Teams that are desperate enough to ante up.
      While it would handcuff us on the Cap to keep Alex on the payroll on April 1, it wouldn’t be the dumbest thing we could do to have him in our control.

I feel it would be dumber to let him walk for nothing and potentially join AZ and dilute our Offensive terminology/tendencies within the Division.

Less blah, blah, blah and more action. I hate media types. They are so full of themselves and they know it.

Stupid comment of the Super Bowl for Chris Culliver. What the fuck is he doing getting interviewed by Artie Lange anyway?

Phil, there is NONE CHANCE that Smith stays on the team after 3/31/13

It got some play on ESPN, but that was on PTI . . .

The Culliver quote is going to go viral. Everything that comes out of this week goes viral. Who knew what deer antler spray was before yesterday?
    I’ve heard CUlliver interviewed on KNBR a couple of times and he was engaging. Really disappointed to hear his comments today. And I’m guessing the vets in the clubhouse, who are now going to have to answer this same question tomorrow over and over again, aren’t too happy with him either. Total dumbfuck thing to say in an interview at this point in the season….

• barleyfreak says:

Exactly. EVERYTHING gets blown up big time during SB week. When I read it I cringed. 1) Stupid ass thing to say and 2) stupid ass time to say it

Culliver needs to be thinking about assignments, technique, tackling and going up BIG for the ball against Boldin. That’s it, fuckwad.

Culliver has already sent out his retraction:

“The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience.”

Culliver will probably issue a contrite apology tomorrow morning at tomorrow’s frenzy, and he will likely be surrounded by nearly every media member in New Orleans.

Dennis imbibing today? What pearls of wisdom will spring forth?

14. Chico says:

It’s on the front page of the Huffington Post which gets CRAZY traffic both domestic and international. Fucking idiot.

Plus his agent and the team have released statements:

Agent Theodore Palmer.

“Chris is very apologetic for any harm caused to anyone. His intent was not that at all. He is one who celebrates the differences of others. All of this was just a big mistake. It was interpreted wrong.”

The 49ers issued a statement before Culliver’s apology, condemning his comments one day after Lange played the audio recording of his interview with the cornerback during his radio show.

“The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community.”

Welcome to the glare of the spotlight, Chris.

At least it’s near the end of the week. They’ll be hunkering down after tomorrow.

18. barleyfreak says:

Damage control time.

I’m expecting big things from the game plan this week. We have more weapons than BAL, flat out. But it matters not if you can’t figure out how to use them. Speed kills. Power ain’t too shabby either. Me want both.

19. barleyfreak says:

Here’s a good little snippet on JH’s opinion of CK prior to the 2011 draft, as related from his Dad.

Feel the force, young Kaepernicker.

All about the OL in this one I believe.
    We have to have time to execute the plays.
    Baltimore has an excellent D-Front. Our OL has to neutralize them.

We are younger, faster and played 1 less Playoff game to get here.
    Granted 2 weeks off helps both Teams but, we need to keep their D on the field.
    Need to break the pattern of playing from behind too.

• barleyfreak says:

Yeah, we’ve started the last two games from a hole. Though we’ve shown that we can overcome that, the law of averages are against continuing that. Get ahead, stay ahead.

21. barleyfreak says:

Rummaging around in my garage the other day, I found an old video of the 1989 SB against CIN. Just got done watching it. That was kind of an ugly game. The two “best” offenses statistically could only manage a 3-3 tie at the half. Really noticed Lott flying around like a freaking banshee. Holy shit, but he brought it that day. The game’s changed a lot since then. There were a lot of hits that would have brought flags today. Also the elimination of the “in the grasp” rule (thank you), the elimination of the “forced out of bounds” catch (thanks again). And really bad commercials, though, that actually hasn’t really changed, sadly. The other stark thing is how much bigger players are today. Looking at the DL or OL — there must be a 50 lb difference.

Also apropos was seeing Rice’s MVP 221 yard game. I was pissed when Moss broke Jerry’s single season TD record and was reminded watching the game that Rice’s record was in a strike shortened 12 game season. So Randy, throw me a bone on that greatest receiver biz, and bust out for a couple hundred yards and 2 TDs this Sunday.

I love Jerry and all but, if Randy can go off on Baltimore on Sunday and, break another SB record in the process, so be it.
      Just get the WIN.

For those that didn’t see it on Skeebs’ site, I’ll post it here also.
    Found this, related to a comment Warren Sapp made to Rich Eisen, regarding JaMarcus Russell.
    This apparently occurred while Sapp played for the Raiders.

(Eisen)..Someone asked about Jamarcus and he relates this story:
    “Warren Sapp once told me this story about Jamarcus.
    The Oakland Raiders — rightfully — suspected he wasn’t really into the concept of working hard on improving his play.
    In other words being a, you know, professional.
    So, one day, as Jamarcus was heading home for the night, the Raiders handed him a DVD of all the plays they said they thought he needed to work on.
    He said he’d watch the DVD and report back in the morning.
    The next day he hands the DVD back to his coaches and says, in essence, “I agree with everything you put on there and will work hard to improve.”
    Guess what?
    The DVD they gave him was BLANK.
    They just wanted to see if he’d merely even take the time to put a DVD into a DVD player and watch it.”

Query: Is Dennis rolling around a sawdust floor somewhere?

He’s at the Deer Antler Lounge.

It’s the Antler’s Tavern owned by Torretta. There isn’t any sawdust, and they don’t sell antler spray. Just beer and food. What’s tonight, Thursday? NY steak dinner for $9. But I can’t eat. My stomach is already tied up in knots. Which I guess is still a bit better then how Don Knotts is feeling right about now.

It makes me laugh that last year 49ers fans (Berger) were attacking the 49er offensive line saying it gives up too many sacks. This year everyone is saying the 49ers’ offensive line is the best in football. I wonder what changed? The improvement of Synder to Boone isn’t enough to justify last year’s complaints. Hmmmm….. I wonder what else changed?

In addition, going the playoffs this year, Kaep only had Moss, Ginn, Vernon, Delanie, Crabtree and that practice squad dude. Last year Smith had another practice squad dude, Swain. This year we lose Williams but gain Moss. Besides the qb change, there’s not much difference between the offensive players this year as apposed to last year.

The bottomline is this offensive team hasn’t changed much because Hunter, Manningham and Williams are hurt. Change Moss for Williams and Boone for Synder and Kaep has taken this team to the Super Bowl where Alex Smith fell two games short.

Last year’s arguments by Berger and Skeebers were funny. “It’s the offensive line.” Or, “The receivers aren’t very good.” LOL. Same line, same receivers….. the qb was who needed to be changed. Crabtree has become a stud with an actual qb.

Or look at it this way – Changes from this year’s playoff team to last year’s.
    James for Hunter (I’d rather have Hunter)
    Moss for Williams (I’d rather have Moss)
    Boone for Synder (prefer Boone)

-, +, + = slight advantage Kaep, but not enough to justify drastically different outcomes in the playoffs. That points to one thing.

26. Grumpy Guy says:

Well, there’s no question that Alex took more sacks than average. Now maybe that was intentional, to avoid a worse mistake, but it certainly made the line look worse than it is.

As far as best in the league now, though, only at run blocking. Our pass protection is better with the more mobile QB, but we had our share of breakdowns this year.

The big thing to me is, Kaep has a knack for converting on third downs, and keeping drives going, whether with his arm or legs. That is a refreshing change.

• Spitblood says:

I think our O line is great at pass blocking Mike Iupati didn’t have a good game pass blocking against the Falcons. On the sack (that was Iupati’s fault), Mike looked to be run blocking. He also had a holding call against him. But in general, I think the 49ers do a great job pass blocking. Every team has a guy who has a bad day every once in a while. The hole team was great against the Packers….. but then again, the Packers didn’t know if they were coming or going.

What kind of radio show is talking to Culliver anyway? The dude has to be way down the list of player targets to get on a talk show. IHarbs’ BP must have hit about 300/160 when he was told about that one. I’m certain the players were told to keep their yaps shut about controversial topics, so Cully’s got at least two reasons for showing what a dimwit he is…

Worthlessberger takes a shitload of sacks, but no one criticises their line. Ben holds the ball too long. Smith? Well, he’s avoiding the pick.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I don’t have the numbers, but it sure seems as though the Niners are better at 3rd down conversions with Kappyin there.

New thread is upppppppppppppppppp