A tie? Really? There’s no ties in football! (Happy Vets Day)

At least that’s what Dashon Goldson thinks. Maybe he should worry more about covering streaking WRs down the sideline. Or at least getting them out of bounds. All in all, I suppose the 49ers should feel lucky they managed to tie the what-once-were-Lambs. Pretty shitty game all around though. The D was toasted to the tune of 460 yards, and if not for penalties on a huge kickoff, and a 78 yard pass play to open OT, the Niners would have lost. On the other hand, Jeff Fisher gave the 49ers an additional 3rd down play down near their goal line to give the 49ers their first TD of the game. 4th and 1 or 3rd and 6? I’d force the 4th down decision. As would most coaches.

Just weird all around. After giving up two very easy 80+ yard scoring drives, the D was pushed around the field, but didn’t yield points til the Niners climbed back into the game. Smith took the 4th and 1 (rather than Brandon (who, me?) Jacobs, and suffered for it. After his TD to Crabs, he was removed for concussion-like symptoms. And the concussion was confirmed. He apparently slept fine last night, and reports no ill affects. We’ll see what the doctors say, and if he passes his tests, but Cappy Kaepernick finally got some meaningful playing time. After a few shakey drives, he did pretty well. Hitting Manningham with a nice 20 yard out, and a few other nice tight passes for 117 yards. he hesitated on a few plays where he ciould have decided faster, and he took a sack when the Niners were tantalizingly close to a long FG, and thus were forced to punt, but all in all he did about as well as could be expected. he should have led the team to the OT win, but David Akers seems to be reverting to the form that got him canned in Philly. Missing the big ones.

Special teams, which were finally settling down into a nice rhythm, were stunned by 2 fake FGs, and of course the Akers OT miss. But he did make the game-tying FG, and the Niners did force a fumble on a kickoff to all-briefly take the lead.

So, what to make of this? The old adage ‘on any given Sunday’ certainly springs to mind. Seeing as the Bears, Falcons, and Giants all lost, our tie is actually a good thing. If only for the time being.

And to those of you who served, or are serving, thank you for your sacrifice.

About these ads

45 Responses to A tie? Really? There’s no ties in football! (Happy Vets Day)

1. Grumpy Guy says:

Nice Lockheed P-38 picture, Chuck. Weird looking but oddly beautiful in the air, that one.

Yeah, at the Mather air show a couple years ago, they had 4 of the 7 Lightnings in the world that were air-worthy. Quite a sight. One was discovered nearly intact 6 years ago after glacial ice melted in Alaska. The Germans hated that plane . . .

• philippinefan says:

So did the Japanese. Great book called “Lightening Strike” which is about the flight of P-38s that took out Admiral Yamamoto after our guys cracked the Japanese code and discovered his flight plan in the South Pacific. Yamamoto was the chief of the Japanese navy whose brain-child was Pearl Harbor .

Hail to our men and women who serve this country so very well!

200th thread today. Woo hoo . . .

Too many weird things about that game yesterday. The Rams have to be kicking themselves for not winning, but so do the 49ers. Both teams had more than one chance to win.

The fake FGs were horrendous. That was awful. One is bad, but the 2nd (which lost the win for the Niners), was just flat stupid. Double the gunner (like they usually do) and that doesn’t happen.

Funny thing I noticed (or maybe its coincidental), but after that report about Chip Kelly and his going for it on 4th down much more that customary, it seemed a lot more teams were taking the shot. Esp if you include all this fake punts and fake FGs yesterday.

3. Chico says:

Eric Branch on sfgate just updated Smith’s status. “Doing much better” – He’ll see a brain doctor, and follow protocol blah blah blah.. Iv’e had 2 concussions in my life. One wasn’t too bad, the other was horrible. Not fun. http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/11/12/qb-smith-doing-much-better-a-day-after-sustaining-concussion/ Ignore the troll foxyroxy69.. Dude is an asshole.

• Grumpy Guy says:

Roxy might be even more of an idiot than V… and that is difficult to believe.

Assuming it’s not the same idiot, of course. But their writing styles are not similar so I doubt it.

• Chico says:

Roxy is just another troll with multiple accounts over there on that god forsaken tabloid of a “news” site. He posts, gets attention, and has the replies removed as “abusive” with his many different handles. It used to be a fun place to comment until everyone got multiple personality disorder.

Yeah. when it was anything-goes over at the Chron blogs, the bloggers kept things in line better than the Canucks (or whoever the hell they are) do.

5. twinfan1 says:

Roxy claims to be female but has made comments on other forums that would make Akin and Murdock proud…

6. twinfan1 says:

BTW- despite our battles here and radically different views, I wish NoFear a fine Veteran’s Day. I’ve told of my dear friend “George” who passed away this year.He was a double amputee from injuries suffered in the Vietnamese war. We only agreed on one thing- our love for baseball, but we respected each other’s service. Well, I respected his, I think George thought me a “pinko”. Somehow he seemed to like me anyway. I had a better TV, maybe ;-)

And the same to you, Twinfan. My younger brother lost both his legs above the knees in Vietnam to a buried 105mm howitzer round. He made it home but died from the results anyway.

I love football but it’s nothing but a sport, a game and another thing for old VFOGs like us to argue about.

Here’s to us and all like us!

8. Chico says:

Thanks for your service gentlemen and thanks to your friends and family members who are no longer with us. My grandfather (moms side) was a veteran of WW2, the Korean war and Vietnam. He has a street named after him in his small town outside of Winston-Salem and fought the city tooth & nail about it till the day he died. He didn’t feel like he was special. I only met him twice and asked him why he didn’t want a street named after him (I was 13 at the time and thought it would be awesome to have a street named after my grandfather) — he replied ” when you’re the only one out of 8 people who didn’t die in a grenade attack, you wonder why it wasn’t you… It’s nothing to be proud of kiddo”..

My step-grandfather who I was closer to was in the Navy and saw the world.. Funny guy – I remember when I brought a girl over to the house when he was visiting for Christmas. After she left, my uncle told me to use protection (birds & the bees) – my step grandpa said “bullshit” ” I have had a piece of ass from almost every continent and many cities in the Philippines to Thailand and beyond, I never got nothing so don’t listen to them” — He is still set in his ways but has changed his safe sex tune, slightly. Tough guys from butcher-town SF probably were.

9. twinfan1 says:

I think the announcers said there hadn’t been a tie in the NFL since 2008. Not surprising Goldson thinks there aren’t any. He sure has gotten a lot of shit despite being an All-Pro and one of the biggest hitters among DBs. Doucet is still seeing stars- shouldr-to-shoulder, BTW..

10. twinfan1 says:

11. twinfan1 says:

Geez, two posts, good night.

There have been 18 ties since the NFL instituted the ovetime rules for the 1974 season. The last tie was 2008. Cincy and Philly, 13 all. last 49er tie was a 10-10 affair with the Falcons back in 1986. There were 2 ties in 1986, and also in 1997.

Goldson seems to be Mr. inconsistent himself. After having some real good games, he lays this stinker. He was late after Culliver fell down trying to jam Quick at the line, then he couldn’t get him out of bounds. Then there was the stupid penalty. Then again, all the DBs had a bad time of it. Amendola schooled Rogers all day, and the Niners never adjusted. The run defense sucked. All in all a poor effort that they should have ended up winning anyway.

Granted, Dashon’s progressed from having a lot of so-so games with the occasional good one to having a lot of good games with the occasional dud.

David (not-so-green) Akers is showing why Philly got rid of him. He missed a lot of important kicks for them. He’s doing that for us now.

13. barleyfreak says:

I’ve never seen two teams, in the same game, try so hard to lose…and both fail. Our vaunted D looked like 10 different kinds of shit. Our team is built around a strong D, running O, and special teams. If any of them fail especially the D, we’re not likely to prevail. Coming back from deficits with an inconsistent passing game is a crapshoot.

CK is intriguing. Great arm, fast on his feet. He even showed some pocket movement and courage in delivering a couple passes. But he left no doubt that he has much to learn. It’s good to see him get some meaningful playing time. I think most of us agree that it was only a matter of time before AS, taking a ton of hits over the last two years, would go down for a game or two. You can only learn so much with a clipboard.

He very well may get the nod next week. If so, then a crash course on controlling the ball in traffic is in order. I love that he can run (fast!), but I always want a QB that beats you with his arm first. Knowing when to bail and when not to took Steve Young a while. There were a couple of plays Sunday when I thought, “Run dude!”, and he hung in, only to get sacked. The decision has to made fast, and with no hesitation. Anyway — he’s got some serious raw talent. That guy learns to read NFL D’s and react quicker, he could be really, really good.

He didn’t show me enough to make me think we’re better off next week without AS though. But depending on how AS is this week, it may not matter. CK might get the nod.

Yeah, the news is the same for Alex. Good night’s sleep. Alex feels fine. He’s going through the tests. Cappy had his momnets. Good and bad. He likely knocked Akers out of FG range taking the sack on the Niners last OT possession. It would have been a long one, but there was no chance after the sack.

Sorry to be late to this party, yes a big thanks to the Vets of this great country. fortunately or unfortunately, I grew up during the Vietnam war. Lots of anti war slogans and what not. I turned 19 the year Nixon abolished the draft. Double edged sword for me, thankful I did not have to go to the war, but now sort of thinking I maybe should have served my country. I know a few vets that came back just not the same, mentally more than physically. Sad what all wars do to a young mind. well not all young minds. but still. Anyway God bless all vets for serving.

Looks like Alex Smith should be back for the Bears game, and Jay Culter won’t be, based on what I’m hearing on ESPN now.

So, it’s Jason Campbell for the Bears. The O line problems that Chicago has may actually turn out to be a blessing for Campbell, as he’s a pretty good runner out of the pocket. The Niners have to be ready for that.

17. twinfan1 says:

Alex took a boatload of shit for our last game with the Bears but at least he wasn’t a turnover machine- and nobody churns ‘em out quicker than Cutler( he threw 5 interceptions in that 2009 game). Big arm, teeny weeny brain. Campbell worries me more, he’s kind of like those softball throwing lefties that shut our Giants down all the time.

• twinfan1 says:

I saw that. If there’s any question at all I hope he sits. If Colin goes, it could be wild. Probably not a win, but wild.

His health is the primary concern of course. I think the Bears D could make it a long day for either QB but with his lack of experience it’s a good job Kap can run really fast.

Is Alex seeking a second opinion because he was cleared or because he wasn’t?

If he was cleared and just doesn’t feel right it makes sense to me. If he is trying to get somebody to clear him to play he should maybe give Steve Young a call.

I don’t even try to watch the games anymore what with the shitty coconut internet and the one million popup ads. Fuck it; get my info from KGO- Robinson-E Davis- and NFL.com website. Oh yeah and from youse fellars as we agonize through another close one….

So, how’s our kicker doing? Akers stinks right?

“Clearly, Akers is struggling, right? Only if you’re into the “low-hanging” statistical fruit 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh complains about. ”

But wait, Christian Ponder this:

“Akers’ overall field goal percentage has fallen from 84.6 last season to 71.4 through nine games this season. The decline stems almost entirely from a reduction in chances from short range. Akers averaged 2.1 attempts per game from inside 40 yards last season. If that rate had held firm in 2012 and Akers continued to make nearly all of them, as he has done with the 49ers, his overall percentage for 2012 would be in the low 80s.

This imaginary “slump” from Akers reflects the 49ers’ offensive improvement in the red zone.”

OFFENSIVE Improvement? Whaaa? Akers ain’t a sack of shit?! Well I’ll be Del Mar Dennis…

“The 49ers are scoring touchdowns on 61.5 percent of red zone possessions. That is up from 40.7 percent last season, when Akers set an NFL record with 44 made field goals, 32 of them from inside 40 yards.”

Read it and weep you macho kicker hater men.

(I jest)

NoFear, neither article I read had didn’t have any info on why he’s seeking a 2nd opinion. The Vallejo Times article referenced the PFT article and said an ‘unnamed legue source.’ Maybe it was Paula Broadwell . . .

21. twinfan1 says:

Bay Area Sports Guy claims that Greg Papa has said on his radio show that Smith’s concussion was “karmic retribution” for John Harbaugh’s Raven team running the fake FG up 24 against the Raiders.

He’s seeking a second opinion, in *my opinion*, because the first guy wouldn’t sign off on him playing. Independent doctors don’t give a shit about the team or what’s at stake– they are just giving you their best medical advice. Assuming he went to someone competent I can’t imagine he’s trying to find someone who will let him play.
    Just sit the game out, it’s one game. Nothing is worth risking the rest of your life.

Too funny. From Denver’s ABC affiliate, Ch 7:

Well, maybe Smith just wanted more information.

25. twinfan1 says:

As of today, “reports from ESPN’s Adam Schefter indicate Smith might return to action this week after suffering a concussion in a 24-24 tie against the St. Louis Rams. Smith has not spoken to the media since the injury.
    ‘They feel pretty good that Smith should be able to go,’ Schefter said on ESPN this morning in comments relayed by Evan Silva of NBC Sports.”
    This was after the report that he was seeking a second opinion, So, I dunno what’s up. But as I’ve posted, along with others, if there’s any question they should err on the side of caution. What happens to the brain when subjected to blows such as he suffered is quite scary.

• Chico says:

I agree, and with Flav – a second opinion likely means he didn’t get the go-ahead from the first doctor he saw. .

Some talking heads on the radio are saying that because the Bears QB Campbell will clearly be better than our back up QB and that they’ll have the edge is meaningless to me. Health before sports.

Plus, I’d like to see Colin prove them wrong if he is the starter on Monday.

New thread is up . . .

Seeking medical clearance is a whole other can of worms. It’s like reversing a call on the field. Who or who’s medical liability insurance provider is going to step up and say, “He’s good to go out and get kicked in the head some more.” after another expert has declined to do so? Especially after seeing Alex’s slide technique.

Besides I too want to see Kaep play a game or two with the benefit of first team snaps all week and a game plan with his input.

28. twinfan1 says:

Harbaugh is conversative by nature, the idea that he “dumbed down” the offense for Smith doesn’t wash, IMO. Does that mean that he didn’t tailor it to take advantage of Smith’s strenghs and minimize his weaknesses? Of course not. Any good coach does that.
    If Kap starts on Monday, Jim will probably be even more conservative if the defense holds it’s own. Certainly the passing game would be more vertical if not more successful, but I’d think we’d see end arounds, pitch outs,draws, Miller with a few runs, Hunter, and Gore Gore Gore. Doubt that Harbaugh wants Kap passing much *or* running. With Smith we’d get a boring “W”, Kap? With luck, the same.

Alex threw for 70 yards before leaving the game and half of that was YAC. Who has a first overall QB doing that? That’s what backup QBs do trying not to be the reason for a loss. Why would we even look at a QB in the tail end of his career if our coach thought we had a guy who could throw the ball already?

Smith’s game is a dumbed-down passing game. The chance for Kaep to step in and show what he can do is how stars are born. Too bad it’s going to have to wait for Alex to take another shot to his brain pan.

IIRC you were totally against the coach not over-ruling his medical staff where Smith’s health was concerned. Why are you not all over Harbaugh’s letting Smith start again?

30. twinfan1 says:

These YAC arguments are ignorant. Joe wouldn’t be in the Monongahela HOF without them…And pay attention, I’ve only posited an “if” Smith starts. I’ve posted more than once that “But as I’ve posted, along with others, if there’s any question they should err on the side of caution. What happens to the brain when subjected to blows such as he suffered is quite scary.”
    You recall incorrectly-again.